Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

sleepyman wrote: »
    So a sod turning doesn't actually signal the start of construction?

Usually it does within weeks. This is a strange one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

cgarvey wrote: »
    Is this still the case? The PR (and the DTTAS release) all mention the crossing being West of Oranmore. Is that a typo, or has there been a change?

The DTTAS release does say:

"Connects to the M6 motorway west of Oranmore;".

but that has to be just a typo.

From Galway County Council:

An environmental assessment of the proposed route has already been completed and approved. All archaeological sites investigated along the route have been fully resolved under licence from the National Museum. In addition, compulsory purchase orders required to develop the road have been completed.

and a map showing the junction East of Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How many junctions are planned between Gort and the M6 and where will they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

flazio wrote: »
    How many junctions are planned between Gort and the M6 and where will they be?

Map in the post just before yours . 1 kiltiernan

Map in the post just before yours . 1 kiltiernan

Seems odd that there's no junction anywhere near the old N6 to serve Craughwell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Seems odd that there's no junction anywhere near the old N6 to serve Craughwell.

Not worth it, it's already served from the M6 though either Athenry or Loughrea (HGVs).
    cgarvey wrote: »
    Is this still the case? The PR (and the DTTAS release) all mention the crossing being West of Oranmore. Is that a typo, or has there been a change?

It's a typo, the plan is for an interchange at Rathmorrisey (between Athenry & Oranmore). They'd have to change the plans, which would mean a new set of plans, ABP approval etc.

Apart from all that there's no room to bring the M18 west of Oranmore as the road would be in the bay.

Craughwell is only 10km from the M6 at J17.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Population of Craughwell 1634
    Of that how much traffic would not be going to Galway anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

Population of Craughwell 1634
    Of that how much traffic would not be going to Galway anyway?

There is a relativy straight and empty road between Craughwell and Galway. The opening of the M6 has seen traffic volumes on the old N6 plummet. It is now a pleasure to drive on the N6, previous to the M6 it was overcrowded and dangerous.

It the route on the map below the finalized route, that is to say will there be any adjustments or is this set in stone?
    http://www.galway.ie/en/media/n17n18%20SCHEME%20MAP.pdf

It the route on the map below the finalized route, that is to say will there be any adjustments or is this set in stone?

From the galway county council site linked earlier:

An environmental assessment of the proposed route has already been completed and approved. All archaeological sites investigated along the route have been fully resolved under licence from the National Museum. In addition, compulsory purchase orders required to develop the road have been completed.

If they've already CPO's the land, then that's the route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There is a relativy straight and empty road between Craughwell and Galway. The opening of the M6 has seen traffic volumes on the old N6 plummet. It is now a pleasure to drive on the N6, previous to the M6 it was overcrowded and dangerous.

http://www.galway.ie/en/media/n17n18%20SCHEME%20MAP.pdf

Sorry, I misread the post and assumed it was a junction onto the m18 where it crosses the old n6

I agree there's a fine ws2 road from craughwell to Galway, and that's where most of the traffic will go,
    There will not be enough southbound traffic to justify a junction on the m18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 flat 2 the.....

Will there be a slip road on the n63 roscommon To galway road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Will there be a slip road on the n63 roscommon To galway road

Yes - see map a couple of posts up

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Talking to a mate near Tuam, said he saw a helicopter flying route of M17 at approx, 3.00 pm, anybody else see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Yes, I saw it. A helicopter was also flying the same route 2 weeks ago. It's possibly the ESB checking lines, I've heard they do this every so often. Aerial LiDAR or imagery surveys would take several passes over flight lines and that helicopter didn't do that.
    f2 wrote: »
    Talking to a mate near Tuam, said he saw a helicopter flying route of M17 at approx, 3.00 pm, anybody else see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Seen the ESB myself, they were following the lines and circling the odd pole, apparently this chopper went from Corofin to Tuam on the line of M17 and back again heading south towards Athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Quick question. Is there anywhere that shows exactly what type of bridges are being built and if the motorway is being raised or embankments being built in specific places? I've looked at the maps on the Galway CoCo website but I can't tell for certain whats what. Anyone with insight or knowledge that can enlighten me please?

I'm wondering specifically about the 4km to 6km section on the M17 north of the M6 junction. Structures #3 and #4 and the stretch of motorway between these two structures. M17 brochure (Page 6 of brochure)

As far as I can tell #3 will have the motorway raised/going over the R339 Monivea road?

# 4 will be the opposite and have the L3105 road raised/going over the motorway?

Can anyone tell me will the motorway have an embankment built along the sides between these two structures?? I think it will from looking at the map (brown shaded area along both sides) but I'm not certain.

Looking at purchasing a house in this area. Are we nuts to even consider it giving the construction and disruption of the next 2 years and potential noise then from the completed motorway?? Anyone gone through similar??

• If you head over towards Athenry, there's plenty of local roads around there that run near enough to the motorway which should give you some idea of the noise levels

As for the disruption during construction, you can be pretty sure if they use any local roads for transporting materials, those roads will get torn to bits during construction, however, at the end of the construction period, you'll get brand spanking new roads as a replacement.

Regional and national roads for the most part will handle the construction traffic easily enough. Local roads, with the exception of some very good local primaries are not designed to carry the volume of such heavy loads and very quickly crumble to pieces

Take a spin on this road to see how the spanish contractors (cant recall their name) redid all the local roads once construction was completed. In saying that, it took the locals threatening to block construction traffic to get written assurances that the roads would be fixed. I drove that road a few dozen times during construction of the M6 and I never got above 15 mph on it for fear of making bits of my suspension

• I should add, you can always call into the NRA offices up in Ballybrit Ind est, around the corner from HP, and ask them to show you detailed maps of the route and put your query directly to them. They are a very approachable bunch in that office from what I've heard

Map here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I should add, you can always call into the NRA offices up in Ballybrit Ind est, around the corner from HP, and ask them to show you detailed maps of the route and put your query directly to them. They are a very approachable bunch in that office from what I've heard

Map here

Thanks for that Malia Slow Backache. I appreciate the reply and details

• Advertisement

Quick question. Is there anywhere that shows exactly what type of bridges are being built and if the motorway is being raised or embankments being built in specific places?

This is part of the detail design that will be done by the consortium, the designs will come come out in due. I'd check up on previous Roadbridge & Sisk projects to get a rough idea on what the bridges will look like (the M6 G-B was built by a different consortium).

Any bridges will have some form of embankment, the only question really will be the scale, as overbridges and under bridges will have different requirements.

As a rule of thumb, the majority of bridges for L & R roads have been overbridges, so I'd take a look at the overbridge near Athenry golf club for an example of how they look and the traffic noise.
    Looking at purchasing a house in this area. Are we nuts to even consider it giving the construction and disruption of the next 2 years and potential noise then from the completed motorway?? Anyone gone through similar??

It depends on a) how far away from the motorway you are b) if you are looking at an area that will need to be blasted and c) if the local roads will be used for construction traffic.

If you're within about 1-1.5 km away then the noise won't be much but any blasting could cause an issue a few years down the line if there is any weakness in the structure of the house (I know of a couple of places with cracks after the blasting in Doughiska for the M6).

As for traffic, some of the local roads in the athenry area were destroyed by the amount of trucks etc. trying to get access to the site, so you'll need to figure out if the roads will be used to get access - if there's a bridge on the road it will be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 oisin_reme

Both of those side roads will be going over the motorway which will be in a deep cut between them. Brown earthworks on those plans signify cutting, green are on embankment.

There is also a mini profile shown on the 3rd page. The detailed design would not change signficantly from this due to planning approval and landtake restrictions, it definitely wouldn't change from cut to fill.

Can't help with the haulage question however, the NRA may be able to advise.

The audible noise from a Motorway is never as cut and dry as distance. There are many factors to take into consideration.

Topography is a very important factor, so if the motorway is elevated in relation to your vantage point, and there are no obstacles in the path of any sound waves, than the noise will be very audible even at considerable distance. However if your vantage point slightly elevated in relation to the Motorway than the land bank between you and the motorway will absorb a considerable amount of the noise. If there exists substantial, mature vegetation, between you and the motorway this will greatly reduce the noise level. A bank of tall and mature Leylandii will work wonders.

Everything that stands between you and the Motorway will diffract, defuse, absorb and reduce the noise, until it first becomes a very noticeable drone, the a background drone, then disappears.

Other factors to take note of are orientation, being downwind of the motorway would be less desirable than upwind. Noise barriers have a not inconsiderable impact. Road surface is also important, newer motorways tend to be quieter as the surface is created to be so.

Also what noise levels are you happy with/unhappy with? The background drone of urban living is something that we always filter out. I lived in Oranmore, about 300m from the N18, and was moving to a place, a little out in the country but not far from a busy road. I was worried about traffic noise, but little did I realise that the house in Oranmore had greater traffic noise levels that the new house, I had just filtered it out the road noise.

There are a lot of roads around the Athenry Motorway junction. North of this would be a worst case scenario, elevated motorway, no vegetation, no barrier, downwind of the noise.
    Consider the housing estate Roscam, how much noise can you hear from the Oranmore bypass? It depends on where you are in the estate, but I would guess many visiting people would not realise they are about 150 meters from possibly the busiest road in all of Galway.

I presume those wood walls on the last stretch of the "N6" between Oranmore exit and the Douch Uisce roundabout are for noise reduction, do they work?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭muchos04

I presume those wood walls on the last stretch of the "N6" between Oranmore exit and the Douch Uisce roundabout are for noise reduction, do they work?

I thought they were for wind? Correct me I'm wrong???

muchos04 wrote: »

No, it's noise reduction. Those walls/barriers can make crosswinds worse if you're not expecting it.

muchos04 wrote: »

I had initially thought the same until one day I was on a local road, adjacent to the M6 near the Oranmore junction, as noticed that the barriers were located at the points where properties were in close proximity to the motorway. Then thinking about it, if you were going to build wind barriers it would make sense to protect larger stretches, cross winds don't occur at point x, and then be completely absent 20-30 meters down the road.

Also these guys are claiming credit for building noise barriers on the M6.

http://motorwaycare.com/M6_Kinnegad_Galway.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Anyone know when we should start to see a bit of action on the route, even fencing would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ratracer

glineli wrote: »
    Anyone know when we should start to see a bit of action on the route, even fencing would be a start.

The route from Gort past Kiltiernan has been fenced off for the past number of years, not sure how much further on it goes, but I would think if the land has been purchased already, most of the fencing in is place. Interestingly enough, there was drain cleaning works on the motorway from Gort southbound today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

I don't think it's fully fenced off, certain parts are alright. There is no fencing either side if the road into Coole park. I noticed the works southbound yesterday and today.

Advertisement