Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to service your car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

lads i hav a 99 h/b bug eyed corolla, the timing belt was done at 132,00 miles and the car is now nearly at 155,00 miles when would anyone here thats in the know reccomend changing the timing belt as i wouldnt have a notion. did a mini service myself but timing belt know how is a no no

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

davehey79 wrote: »
    lads i hav a 99 h/b bug eyed corolla, the timing belt was done at 132,00 miles and the car is now nearly at 155,00 miles when would anyone here thats in the know reccomend changing the timing belt as i wouldnt have a notion. did a mini service myself but timing belt know how is a no no

Another 20k before you'll be needing a belt change I think. they're usually good for 40-50k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

davehey79 wrote: »

Every 60,000 miles OR 5 years so you'll need to know how long ago it was changed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I recently done an oil/air filter and oil change on my E30 and it all went well. Saved myself well over €100 doing it myself and being my first time to do so, it was very satisfying.

Now one specific question regarding the E30.
    How do I reset the service lights on the dashboard? It's an early 1985 model 320 automatic Cabriolet. I'd say it's something to do with the diagnostic but I'm a complete noob when it comes to auto electrics/mechanics.

Any help would be well appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I remember doing this before. Had a quick look online and what you need is here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Slidey wrote: »
    I remember doing this before. Had a quick look online and what you need is here

Sound.

So just a small piece of electrical wire attached to the right connectors. That sounds easy. Thanks Slidey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Car: Seat Altea 2.0TDi
    Year: 2005
    KM's: 253,000

Issue: I have upgraded my front brakes to 312mm disk and calipers from a Mk5 GTI I used the old pads from the original 288mm setup but now there is a 10mm groove going around the disks? do I need to change the pad's to the same size..?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Yep, get the pads for Mk5 GTI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

JJJJNR wrote: »

Issue: I have upgraded my front brakes to 312mm disk and calipers from a Mk5 GTI I used the old pads from the original 288mm setup but now there is a 10mm groove going around the disks? do I need to change the pad's to the same size..?

:confused: Why would you not have used GTI pads too? Brake pads are matched to the disks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

JJJJNR wrote: »

You might want to change the discs again too if the smaller pads have cut a decent track into them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

offline for a few days, the track isn't too bad its hardly noticeable, but its there anyway, i'm fitting the rear calipers/disk/pads and will change the front pads also, the fronts pads fitted very flush with the caliper so didn't think there would be an issue, hope they haven't gone too far !.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Can I ask a silly question. When changing oil how much roughly should I be putting back in. I have a Audi a4 1.9 tdi 2003 . I'm going to scare the life out of myself and do a oil change by my self.

Last year I decided to buy some clippers and groom my own dogs and got away with it saving myself a small fortune on my 3 dogs so I reakon I'm defo qualified in trying to do a oil change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

At least the car wont squirm around on you trying to run away while you work on it... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can I ask a silly question. When changing oil how much roughly should I be putting back in. I have a Audi a4 1.9 tdi 2003
    I think that car takes 4.5 litres total (it's in the manual if you have one) but not all oil will leave the system during the drain.
    Buy 5 litres and after having drained the old oil and changed the filter put the car down on the ground (make sure you put sump plug back).
    Then fill with about 3 litres or so and check the dip stick. Fill a bit more and check. Keep doing this until you've hit the right mark on the stick.
    Keep the rest of the oil and check the level the next morning, you may have to top up a bit more.

There's vids on youtube on how to do the change, watch a few to get the hang of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

biko wrote: »
    I think that car takes 4.5 litres total (it's in the manual if you have one) but not all oil will leave the system during the drain.
    Buy 5 litres and after having drained the old oil and changed the filter put the car down on the ground (make sure you put sump plug back).
    Then fill with about 3 litres or so and check the dip stick. Fill a bit more and check. Keep doing this until you've hit the right mark on the stick.
    Keep the rest of the oil and check the level the next morning, you may have to top up a bit more.

There's vids on youtube on how to do the change, watch a few to get the hang of it.

That's good advice there. But just to ad, it's also good to have the car on an even level. other wise if it's on a slope the dipstick won't give as good of a reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That's good advice there. But just to ad, it's also good to have the car on an even level. other wise if it's on a slope the dipstick won't give as good of a reading.
    Good advice alright.

Remember though to allow a few minutes for the new oil to drain into the sump before checking the level. Also, after you are happy with the level, run the engine for a couple of minutes then check the level again (after waiting for the oil to drain back to the sump again).

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Esel wrote: »
    Good advice alright.

Remember though to allow a few minutes for the new oil to drain into the sump before checking the level. Also, after you are happy with the level, run the engine for a couple of minutes then check the level again (after waiting for the oil to drain back to the sump again).

Yup, that's also a very important point.

I watched a few vids on this and read articles and the one thing it said in one that didnt say in all the others was when your rubbing oil on the seal of oil filter ,not to use the old oil but rub fresh oil.

I was going to do service today but weather was so bad i put it off. Im feeling confident enough but a small bit worried about if i cant get the oil filter off.

Ive seen people saying smack a skrewdriver through it but that sounds like a knightmere waiting to happen. ill use a clean pair of rubbers for grip and if that doesnt work ....uuughhh ill just cry i think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just have a bit of faith and plan each step in advance. Have a container at the ready to collect the waste oil, a funnel might be a good idea for draining and filling. Get an oil filter wrench from your motor factors it will save a lot of swearing. I've been at one before with a screw driver on an old golf and it took an eternity to remove it, bits of it were everywhere :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I watched a few vids on this and read articles and the one thing it said in one that didn't say in all the others was if you're rubbing oil on the seal of oil filter, not to use the old oil but rub fresh oil.
    Not if, but when...
    I was going to do service today but weather was so bad I put it off. I'm feeling confident enough but a small bit worried about if I can't get the oil filter off.

I've seen people saying smack a screwdriver through it but that sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. I'll use a clean pair of rubbers for grip and if that doesn't work ....uuughhh I'll just cry I think
    Are you talking about rubber gloves? Good luck with that! Apart from the heat, I don't think you will loosen a cartridge filter by hand. Buy yourself a decent removal tool - You'll be using it again and again (hopefully).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

I watched a few vids on this and read articles and the one thing it said in one that didnt say in all the others was if your rubbing oil on the seal of oil filter ,not to use the old oil but rub fresh oil.

I was going to do service today but weather was so bad i put it off. Im feeling confident enough but a small bit worried about if i cant get the oil filter off.

Ive seen people saying smack a skrewdriver through it but that sounds like a knightmere waiting to happen. ill use a clean pair of rubbers for grip and if that doesnt work ....uuughhh ill just cry i think
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

I watched a few vids on this and read articles and the one thing it said in one that didnt say in all the others was when your rubbing oil on the seal of oil filter ,not to use the old oil but rub fresh oil.

id say there's a paper filter on your car so putting a screwdriver through it would be a bad choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

nct tester wrote: »
    [/B]

id say there's a paper filter on your car so putting a screwdriver through it would be a bad choice.

+1

Them 1.9 tdi's require a cup to remove the filter housing. Like this: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_199193_langId_-1_categoryId_255216

You have to reuse the outer housing and just replace the paper insert.

You will also need a ratchet to operate the cup.

+1

Them 1.9 tdi's require a cup to remove the filter housing. Like this: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_199193_langId_-1_categoryId_255216

You have to reuse the outer housing and just replace the paper insert.

You will also need a ratchet to operate the cup.

i bought the filter remover but not this one.

I just want to add a few things that i didnt see to much in this thread.

My audi a4 2003 has plastic covers all under the body, has very little gap just by wheels to jack up car for say punchures, but not enough room to chuck in a axle stand so im having to look into this.

Even when i jacked up car on full jack on my trolley jack i still didnt have enough room to put axle stands in. i suppose i should raise trollet jack up a little. (maybe??)

I saw on a site that you shouldn't raise one side with a axle stand leaving other side down . you should raise whole front of car in centre and put in axle stands on each side.

i think ive looked into this to much now and the dreaded internet has just confused me.

Ive got some wheels to put under cars wheels as insurance once i got car up. I just need a little more advice before i under go my challenge.

You could just drive the car up on to a few blocks of wood. It's what I always did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Can I ask a silly question. When changing oil how much roughly should I be putting back in. I have a Audi a4 1.9 tdi 2003 .

I'd say you are better off consulting a car manual for that. I would also say it depends if you are changing the oil filter or not.

Peanut2011 wrote: »

I'd say you are better off consulting a car manual for that. I would also say it depends if you are changing the oil filter or not.
    No need to consult a car manual.

Of course he is going to change the oil filter, it's pretty pointless otherwise, the paper element is about €8

If he buys a gallon of oil he will have some left over

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭harg90

Peanut2011 wrote: »

why on earth would you change the iol and not the filter?

do people realise that a full service entails ALOT more than just an engine service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

The service reminder light is on in my own car,850 miles til service due. It's going in for an NCT on Friday. Will it fail because of the warning light?

Didn't see the need to start a new thread so apologies if it's not allowed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    The service reminder light is on in my own car,850 miles til service due. It's going in for an NCT on Friday. Will it fail because of the warning light?

Didn't see the need to start a new thread so apologies if it's not allowed here.

Won't be an issue but, something might be found when the car is being serviced that would be a failure. The light will not be an issue :)

Advertisement