Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

stevire wrote: »
    209k miles on it

That engine is indestructible though. That mileage wouldn't bother me at bangernomics money when it looks like the car was well maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Kaiser D wrote: »

Nice car, nice equipment level but it's a 220, not a 230.
    bear1 wrote: »
    Vile looking thing IMO

I think they look crap too. Far too fussy, though to be fair I generally didn't like Chris bangle's stuff. I like the original compact though, a decent car.

That W124 Coupe hasn't sold as tha car doesn't have a massive fan base. It's a bit pricey for a low spec one as well, though it looks to be in excellent condition and if the Pirelli's are relatively new, then it's probably been well looked after on the mechanical side as well.

This might be interesting to somebody, €1850, €56 tax and NCT free. Might be interesting as a rolling resto, if it's substance is any good you can surely sell it for the same or very near it in a couple of years.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/porsche-924-price-drop/6339503

26467121.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

unkel wrote: »
    That engine is indestructible though. That mileage wouldn't bother me at bangernomics money when it looks like the car was well maintained.

This^^ Those cars take the miles very well. I wouldn't consider 209k miles to be massive mileage on one, especially a clean example.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/could-this-be-the-best-carina-e-for-sale/6776394

cockey advert and a litte bit dear but if you got him down closer to 1k, motoring won't come any more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Id imagine that a lot of the fan base for a W124 Coupe - probably already have one - which reduces the demand further.

Stunning cars

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/could-this-be-the-best-carina-e-for-sale/6776394

cockey advert and a litte bit dear but if you got him down closer to 1k, motoring won't come any more reliable.

Granted that's a Japanese built carina rather than the later inferior uk built carina but I alway thought that those E's were very overrated in the build quality department. Imo its predecessor, the carina II was a far superior car.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Granted that's a Japanese built carina rather than the later inferior uk built carina but I alway thought that those E's were very overrated in the build quality department. Imo its predecessor, the carina II was a far superior car.

indeed, but you could probably still do a daily commute in a carina e, whereas the 2 is a lot less refined.

the whole advert is very cockey, just noticed it's advertised in vintage cars too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

He has really shined the feck out of those bumpers too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

daz16 wrote: »
    Could have sworn it was up with 137k? 209 answers all.

I think you still have a valid question. If the car is even close to as good as it looks and the engine is clean and looked after the mileage (209k) should not be a concern.

At that kind of money its still a steal, most of these are wrecked or asking crazy money..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

This is a steal !

If I was changing car I'd be all over this like a fly on ****e

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/6837024

• Advertisement

This is a steal !

Actually... I'm waiting on news for a new job better paying.... if I get it I'm getting this as a second car !

This is a steal !

i think it looks horrific, particularly in silver. all ****ty unpainted chunky plastic mouldings, tiny wheels lost in the arches, un co-ordinated steering wheel colour and such.

looks like something the salesman would flog to your elderly dad that he didn't really want or need.

i see your point KSL, it seems good on paper. just a shame they couldn't wrap it up in a sleeker package.

a set of larger wheels would change it night and day.

a set of larger wheels would change it night and day.

i have to say i agree, they seem to be standards on the XC70s.

i dont actually know what tyre size they are, i wonder if they are chunky at all for AWD grip

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

indeed, but you could probably still do a daily commute in a carina e, whereas the 2 is a lot less refined.

the whole advert is very cockey, just noticed it's advertised in vintage cars too.

Im not sure why a Carina II wouldn't be capable of doing a daily commute :confused:

Don't recall them been particularly unrefined - quite the opposite actually.

Yes they can be a bit noisy from memory when giving it the wellie at around the 4,500 to 5000 rpm range - but how often would you actually need to do that :confused:

If you do need to give it the beans on an overtake or getting up to speed quickly from a junction - or a motorway slip - youd hardly be worrying about the car been a bit noisy

Although possibly Carina IIs aren't as refined as I recall as I haven't been in one for quite a while :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

28079484.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-mx5-1-6-cabriolet-new-nct28022015/6660047
    €1800

Pros:
    NCT 02/15
    Hardtop

Cons:
    No tax - €500
    High mileage - 180k km

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Brian wrote: »
    Cons:
    No tax - €500
    High mileage - 180k km
    Is 180k km really considered high mileage these days? Thats barely over 11k km per year, or 110k miles in old money :confused:

Old diesel wrote: »
    Im not sure why a Carina II wouldn't be capable of doing a daily commute :confused:

Don't recall them been particularly unrefined - quite the opposite actually.

Yes they can be a bit noisy from memory when giving it the wellie at around the 4,500 to 5000 rpm range - but how often would you actually need to do that :confused:

If you do need to give it the beans on an overtake or getting up to speed quickly from a junction - or a motorway slip - youd hardly be worrying about the car been a bit noisy

Although possibly Carina IIs aren't as refined as I recall as I haven't been in one for quite a while :(

i havn't really done my research on this one but i think it would be fair to say that the carina 2 doesn't have the likes of airbags or abs, things i would like in a car i was doing a relatively large amount of driving in, whereas i'm sure the carina E has both.

similarly in terms of crash protection and even sound insulation etc, i'd be sure that the E is a much better car. other little things like central locking and electric windows that most 2's probably don't have.

also in the average carpark an E could still go un-noticed as an average car whereas most 2's at this stage will stick out like an old banger. not that that would bother me too much, but you know what i mean.

i havn't really done my research on this one but i think it would be fair to say that the carina 2 doesn't have the likes of airbags or abs, things i would like in a car i was doing a relatively large amount of driving in, whereas i'm sure the carina E has both.

similarly in terms of crash protection and even sound insulation etc, i'd be sure that the E is a much better car. other little things like central locking and electric windows that most 2's probably don't have.

also in the average carpark an E could still go un-noticed as an average car whereas most 2's at this stage will stick out like an old banger. not that that would bother me too much, but you know what i mean.

The E you posted doesn't have airbags or abs. The E didn't get airbags until the last year of production in late 96, early 97. Most E's in this country also came with manual windows.

I'm not sure what you mean by the E going "unnoticed" and the 2 "sticking out like an old banger" as the 2 imo a better looking, higher quality car than the bulky looking E.

Also in terms of refinement I found, from my experience of the two cars, the 2 to be more refined, nicer car to drive than the E and a more comfortable place to be as a passenger too.

Almost all 1.6 E's have a horrible pingging sound from the engine when accelerating and come with a horrible cloth interior which is a far cry from the now dated but much nicer suede interior of the 2. Granted some early E's in gli spec came with a suede effect interior too but these are few and far between.

The 2 can could be got with full electrics too in 2.0gli form. This includes 4X elec windows, mirrors and sunroof. This model also came with efi and is a peach of a car. Uk examples in 1.6 form could also be got with similar spec to the to the gli but lacked the efi.

I can't imagine crash protection being much better on the E, albeit before airbags were fitted in 96, 97.

I still maintain that the 2 is a superior car in quality both mechanically and aesthetically to an E.

Everyone has different tastes though and maybe the E would be preferred by some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The E you posted doesn't have airbags or abs. The E didn't get airbags until the last year of production in late 96, early 97. Most E's in this country also came with manual windows.

Carina E came with a drivers airbag from 1995 on. Abs was fitted once it was facelifted in 1996/7.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Carina E came with a drivers airbag from 1995 on. Abs was fitted once it was facelifted in 1996/7.

Sorry, indeed you are correct about the drivers airbag. Twin airbags weren't fitted until the 96, 97 facelift though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Brian wrote: »
    28079484.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-mx5-1-6-cabriolet-new-nct28022015/6660047
    €1800

Pros:
    NCT 02/15
    Hardtop

Cons:
    No tax - €500
    High mileage - 180k km

Bad engine and a worse gear box but I'd almost buy it just for the hard top!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

I fecking hate blue on MGs.

But Christ thats cheap for a 05.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

cheap as chips

but never heard anything but bad news about them

anyone any happy endings with them?

cheap as chips

but never heard anything but bad news about them

anyone any happy endings with them?

i had a good time with mine. once the head gasket (:rolleyes:) was replaced with the land rover upgraded kit it was pretty much trouble free. needed an exhaust box and some minor electrical work but that was it over roughly 2 years. very prone to rust too.

good car imo, nice alternative option. great looker, very well spec'd and a nice drive.

as for the carina you seem to be a harcore fan of the 2 john. i've never had a 2, but briefly an E. i just think that the E comes with a few more mod cons and still looks a relatively modern car. as you say, opinions are like arseholes :pac:

Continuing the "I didn't expect it to have an actual engine" theme

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-206-fresh-nct-look/6842704

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-tddi-2001-nct-till-20-03-15/6782048

i know it's a relatively boggo mondeo but i think the bigger wheels and later model tail lights make it look rather handsome. fresh NCT, clean looking car, arguably the better engine too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement