Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exercise and health studies

• 01-05-2013 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi I am currently in the psychology course in wit, however due to a hatred of the course... I really want to move courses next year, Just wondering if anybody has information on this course.. I was looking for something a bit more hands on than psych. Could anybody tell me what this course entails,
    Is it mainly essay writing
    Do you do much sport/exercise or is it just learning about it ?
    If yes what sort of sports do you look at
    Course hours
    Workload
    Continuous assessment / final exams
    Enjoyable course?:P

Thanks =D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Don't do it myself but my room mate is in 3rd year, so if it's any help;

Seems to be mainly split between assignments/exams, as in you would have 2/3 exams per semester while the rest are assignments. Exercise & Health is more based on exercise and fitness, while Rec.Man would be more sport specific. In Ex&Health you do your lifeguard, gym qualifications, group fitness classes (exercise to music) but as far as I know that is all the practicals you will do. You will also do some work in the labs such as Vo2 max testing and other fitness tests and body fat measuring etc. Generally they seem to have between 20-26 hours in most semesters, some classes are 80% attendance which mean if you fail to attend 80% you will not be allowed sit the exam/assignment. In first year the workload doesn't seem too bad, gradually gets higher and in third year it seems pretty tough! In the first semester of 3rd year you go on work placement for 12 weeks. Most people I know enjoy it, but have heard a lot drop out in the first year! Any other questions I'll try help if I can but won't know much more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 queev1988

Be super careful when making your decision. Remember it's employment that one seeks when you leave college. I was in the first year of this course back in 2008 but dropped out (I realised something was drastically wrong when I was dancing to music as a module). Its a jobs market these days and all I can say is that the friends I made in first year are all either in Australia picking oranges or are on the dole or working on a jobs bridge scheme in some hotel leisure center for free. College is tough to get through regarding any course so whatever you do make sure you have a plan when you are coming out the other end. Don't bother asking course leader any questions as to job prospects post college as normally they are full of it (justifying their very existence). Well paid jobs are in technical areas such as IT, Science, Engineering & Finance. I went down the Chemistry route and am finishing exams and walking straight into a job. So please be very careful:) sorry for harping on there!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shnoo_shnoo

Don't do it myself but my room mate is in 3rd year, so if it's any help;

Seems to be mainly split between assignments/exams, as in you would have 2/3 exams per semester while the rest are assignments. Exercise & Health is more based on exercise and fitness, while Rec.Man would be more sport specific. In Ex&Health you do your lifeguard, gym qualifications, group fitness classes (exercise to music) but as far as I know that is all the practicals you will do. You will also do some work in the labs such as Vo2 max testing and other fitness tests and body fat measuring etc. Generally they seem to have between 20-26 hours in most semesters, some classes are 80% attendance which mean if you fail to attend 80% you will not be allowed sit the exam/assignment. In first year the workload doesn't seem too bad, gradually gets higher and in third year it seems pretty tough! In the first semester of 3rd year you go on work placement for 12 weeks. Most people I know enjoy it, but have heard a lot drop out in the first year! Any other questions I'll try help if I can but won't know much more about it.

Thanks very much for the info ! Was pretty much what I needed to hear, thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shnoo_shnoo

queev1988 wrote: »
    Be super careful when making your decision. Remember it's employment that one seeks when you leave college. I was in the first year of this course back in 2008 but dropped out (I realised something was drastically wrong when I was dancing to music as a module). Its a jobs market these days and all I can say is that the friends I made in first year are all either in Australia picking oranges or are on the dole or working on a jobs bridge scheme in some hotel leisure center for free. College is tough to get through regarding any course so whatever you do make sure you have a plan when you are coming out the other end. Don't bother asking course leader any questions as to job prospects post college as normally they are full of it (justifying their very existence). Well paid jobs are in technical areas such as IT, Science, Engineering & Finance. I went down the Chemistry route and am finishing exams and walking straight into a job. So please be very careful:) sorry for harping on there!

Well thanks for the opinion :) The course I'm currently has no potential for future work without future study, aside from disliking it, its my other main reason for wanting to leave, i'd rather enjoy a course with no potential than hate one with no potential. I was looking at the entertainment systems course aswell for that area but my place would depend on me getting the maths requirement in the matriculation exam, thanks for the input though

Advertisement