Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of Spoiler Tags

• 26-03-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok folks just something that may help with the forum.

Seeing as some people may not want to know how a trick is done it might be handy to insert a warning into a thread title if you are discussing a particular trick e.g. Sawing your wife in half: spoilers

To use spoiler tags simple use the tags below:

[noparse]
    insert text
    [/noparse]

will give you the result
    insert text

To view the hidden text just select it.

Anyway if you are posting something which you think others might not want to see then it might be the nice thing to do. Just thought it might be handy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Secrets and methods shouldn't be revealed full stop (except for simple 'public-domain' tricks etc).

I can elaborate on that point if anybody wants, but it shouldn't be necessary. I only mention it because some posters (and moderators) might be new to the hobby. Should be in the charter tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

If there is something you feel should be in the charter or if you have some concerns feel free to drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I'd have to agree with Voodoo Child.
    Though it makes learning harder for beginners like me, secrecy is central to the art of magic.
    I mean its right there in the magicians code.(Maybe that should be in the charter if not the entire thing:))

But this forum is open to more than just magicians so the magician code wont dictate what gets posted here.

Similar has popped up before on the surfing forum with regards to the posting of secret surfing spots. While I respect that there are rules out there for people to follow if they wish I also know that most info can be found on the net if you know where to look.

If people with experience dont want to share thats fine, no one is forced to post anything. If some posts asking for info on something dont answer if you dont want to but people are free to ask. Equally people are free to share info.

As it says in the charter though, posting of info which might lead to injury will be watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Secrets and methods shouldn't be revealed full stop (except for simple 'public-domain' tricks etc).

I can elaborate on that point if anybody wants, but it shouldn't be necessary. I only mention it because some posters (and moderators) might be new to the hobby. Should be in the charter tbh.

I'd agree to a certain extent but while I don't have as much experience as yourself, I have been at this a while now and I remember many instances of learning a great new effect or even just a nice little presentational touch from more experienced performers when I first developed an interest in the whole thing.

I couldn't in good conscience then hold information back from someone else who wants to learn how to do something given the help I - and no doubt yourself - received in the beginning. Possibly a PM explanation might be a better way to go about this???

That way those who are really interested in learning for performance or what have you can learn and those who just want to know how everything is done can wait for repeats of the masked magician. For example, even when I was being imparted gems of information and advice, it wasn't done from a soapbox on a street corner. There's not much point in knowing how it's done if everyone knows how it's done.

Disclaimer: I won't reveal details of anything I'm currently working on as I'm contractually obliged not to. But if anyone else knows how its done, I won't have a hissy fit about them saying anything. I have no interest in trying to gag the whole interweb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

the secret of how a trick is done is the value of the product which the magician hopes to sell. posting reveals is tantamount to theft of that product. If the boards.ie community do not discuss torrents or illegal methods of getting tv, then illegal sharing of magic secrets should not be tolerated either.

If trick sharing occurs on this forum, i will be complaining to boards.ie, and would ask other irish magicians with a conscience to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I can see your point zuroph, what about older/simpler tricks?

zuroph wrote: »
    If trick sharing occurs on this forum, i will be complaining to boards.ie

You can voice your concerns in Feedback or Helpdesk. You will not be dictating what gets said on this forum.

i never said i would dictate, i said i would complain. it is illegal acitvity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

i never said i would dictate, i said i would complain. it is illegal acitvity.
    Have you some proof of that?

• Advertisement

penguinmagic have successfully sued several people for copying/sharing tricks. items get pulled from ebay on a daily basis for being unauthorized reveals. youtube videos regularily get banned after complaints from magic companies.

illegal does not cover ALL reveals obviously, but a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

but how do you tell which tricks are copyrighted or protected? what about tricks the have already been reveled. i can understand big stage tricks been a big deal if they're ripped off but surely sharing little coin and card tricks are illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

If the boards.ie community do not discuss torrents or illegal methods of getting tv, then illegal sharing of magic secrets should not be tolerated either.

If trick sharing occurs on this forum, i will be complaining to boards.ie, and would ask other irish magicians with a conscience to do the same.

I agree mate.
    Boards is so strict on everything else why not this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I agree mate.
    I agree also.

99% of magic forums im aware of have a 'no trick spoiling' rule. Actually, a lot of them have a simple two-tier structure, once you've made a few posts and demonstrated an interest and knowledge, you can read and post in a 'members only' section. Where you can discuss the methods used by Blaine, Brown etc to your hearts content.

Allowing people to expose effects willy-nilly is disrespectful to the art of magic and shows very little understanding and experience on the part of whoever decided the rules. It might be hard to understand if you're new and have not put any time or effort into the art, and that's fine, but I think the issue needs further discussion rather than a blanket 'Im dictating the rules here!' type attitude.

zuroph, yes youtube links have been posted - some are of TV shows and some are tutorials. They are posted here because they are in the public domain. If someone complains to youtube and the videos are removed then the links here wont work anymore.

No one is being forced to give details of tricks and the sole purpose of this forum is not to learn magic but to discuss related topics, share experiences etc.

There are a number of experienced magicians here who seem happy to post - no one here is demanding secrets from anyone.

voodoo_child, maybe a private sub-forum will come out of this but at this early stage I wouldnt encourage it. Private forums can lead to a clique, and cliques are not a good thing.

zuroph, this can be discussed without shouting the odds or demanding this forum be shut down. Legal threats are a big no-no, if that gets mentioned in here again bans will be handed out. You have chosen to voice your grievences on HelpDesk - keep them there for now and see what the site owners have to say. Anyone else who has a problem is free to start there own feedback or helpdesk thread - only thread starters, SMods and admins can reply on Helpdesk.

Now this thread is for discussing spoiler tags, lets get it back on topic.

i did not threaten legal action, i just warned you that you may leave yourself open to it from others.

Look, as a working magician in ireland, id be only too delighted to have a forum specifically for us interested in the art, and the idea of a subforum is something that should be looked at. Please do not take these matters as personal insults, its just something that needs to be said before the board grows. you will have a lot of people posting who will pretend to know more than they do, merely to get the secret of a trick to ruin it for hard working magicians like us.

As for spoilers, yes, if anyone is compelled to explain, use them please!

I understand your points zuroph, hopefully this forum can be something for people of all levels to appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Okay, apologies for my absence, I was at a wedding in Ireland this weekend so wasn't online.

We've opened a thread here to discuss this and I'd like you guys to comment there as well.

I'm going to lock this thread so that we can have all discussion in one place...not so I can 'exercise my powah' over you all :D It's an important topic!

oppressed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement