Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Searchine Engine Ranking

Options
  • 04-11-2003 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Anybody know how to get a good website ranking with Google. Most articles I read seems to contradict each other. What is the most important factor is getting high search engine ranking (links, metatags, page content, page title, etc) ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Nobody really knows, and the engines tend to fiddle things around to keep people on their toes. However with Google specifically it's usually a good idea to have relevant filenames and titles, and as many links into your site as possible, preferably using relevant keywords as the anchor text.

For example, if you have a page about cat strangling on your website, it's probably a good idea to name the file cat-strangling.htm, have a title something like "Cat Strangling for Dummies", and have a site or two linking to the cat strangling page.

Poor kitty.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

As dahamsta said, it is something of a black art with various people mysteriously telling you they have the answer, but can't tell you. The Google Information for Webmasters pages are probably as close as you are going to get to useful information on boosting your rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I dont agree with either dahamsta or dod. People do know, some people do have the answers and find it quite easy to acheive top rankings for their websites.

Each case is different, what dahamsta mentioned is one way of acheiving top rankings on google, but if the keyphrase you are using is highly competitive then this one way is not enough.

The more competitive the keyphrase is, the more work you have to do.

There are numerous techniques, some easy to implement and will yield results in a couple of days - others take time, patience and hard work.

search engines are chaning all the time - Google has just gone through a huge change and most of us seo'ers are still trying to figure out exactly what has changed, but we still don't have any major problems acheiving good rankings for our clients sites.

The key to all this - before you even think about optimising your website is researching your keyphrases. Theres no point in being number one for "cat strangling" if no-one ever searches for it!

If ye need some help with the site you are tryin to acheive rankings for post the link and ill explain what to do.... well i'll give you some of the tips anyway.... not them all, or I'd be out of a job ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 vjoc

Thanks for the comments.

I came across this guy today, who claims to have all the answers. Anybody heard of him or purchased his book?

http://www.searchengineranking-no1.com/?hop=eurcall

$40 seems like a small price to pay if his strategies work!!

Dont bother with the books, have a look at this guy's site

http://www.abakus-internet-marketing.de/en/seo-tutorial/grundlag.htm

THen try other search engine forums - such as www.seochat.com

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by tomED
    People do know
    Absolutely. The Google engineers know. And the rest of Google does an awful lot of work making sure other people don't. SEOs play the field and the odds, but they don't /know/.

adam

Absolutely. The Google engineers know. And the rest of Google does an awful lot of work making sure other people don't. SEOs play the field and the odds, but they don't /know/.

Yes google keep their ranking system to themselves, which is a great idea. The question was not "does anyone know how google ranks websites", the question was "does anybody know how to get good website ranking on google".

AND PEOPLE DO /KNOW/!!

A good seo will have no problems getting good rankings for a website, this is NOT luck, nor is it by playing the field or the odd's.

If an SEO can constantly get top rankings for different websites - it's not luck..................................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

I would imagine that using relevent <title>, <h1>, <h2> etc. tags should boost your ranking, as well as using informative desciptions in <a>nchor tags.

I would also suggest giving all your <im(a)g>es 'alt' and 'title' attributes, and using 'title' in your <a>nchor tags also.

Advertisement