Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning for Next Year Whats Happend So Far

• 24-02-2014 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

Sorry for staring my own thing on this. I just feel like I need to put it down somewhere rather than a book..

We are aiming for the big day to be next year and have started looking into venues/fun things to do/caterers and perhaps rather than looking through all separate threads about things it would be best to put them here.

The first plan for the big day was something nice a relaxed with a little romantic feeling, crab claws haha, a day all will enjoy and something that would not cost our guests or us too much money. Not you typical hotel either that would be the last upon last thing we would do

We have looked at three venues so far which were the first venues we thought off and went "yes" we would like to go to a wedding there.

Caseys of Baltimore - Meet with the lovely Valerie there who was great very, friendly and I would say to be there to help you with all you need on the day. This was as close as we would get to a hotel wedding. The hold civil ceremony's there for a a max me thinks of 40 people seated, you can have more but they would have to stand. It is a strong contender for venues but the only thing that puts us off is one I am not sure if it would hold enough people comfortable and the cost on our guests and for us. Corkage isn't the cheapest and the rooms aren't either. Then there is plenty of self catering houses.hostels that are available so people have a selection of places to stay.

Blackwater Castle - Madly in love with this place, met Patrick the owner who is very down to earth. A real breath of fresh air compared to hearing about cost for this cost for that you have one cost for them as such for the day and after that it is up to you. There are endless possibilities of what you can do with the venue. You have your own bar so you would pay a fee of just what you get non of this corkage malarkie. The castle is far enough from the main road so you would not have to worry about kiddies on the day they cant get too far. There is plenty to do for everyone, and only one TV on site which I love.. The only bad thing is I am not sure how the flow would work, there are two rooms that you can have the meal and dancing in but I would be worried about the party being split up. What would be ideal is to eat outside but then you are really counting on good weather hahaha is all ill say to go with that. And also there is a bit of a drop out the back wall which would worry me with kids and lets say people who have had a bit too much but I am sure something could be done with this.

Ballyvolane House - Meet with Eve there a lovely country house with beautiful Gardens. While the house is great and would suit I would think a smaller wedding everything is extra which puts a real downer on it. The set menu alone costs €65 a head with only one option for main course and canapes, late night snacks are all extra so it brings it up to nearly €85 a head. Really lovely spot where you hold the main party as such. You have a covered area where you sit for dinner and the service sounds lovely a bit of serve yourself. They deliver a big plate of each meal to your table and you take what you like. I love this idea. The grounds around the house are lovely and away from the main road again so you would not worry with kids. But it is just the additional prices would put me off.

Looking at one fab day there and I see the Grainstore in Ballymaloe! Has anyone here every gone to or held a wedding there I would be interested to know any info on this..

Or if anyone else knows of a nice country house/castle let me know.

I was trying to find the thread earlier about photobooths but I cant find it. Was watching Ireland Am this morning and saw funkycam.ie looks like a great idea.. The set up is easy enough to do yourself but the only problem you face is who takes the pictures that's where these lads would be good. Has anyone ever used them?

mmm me thinks that's it for now the mind is ninety miles an hour with plans and what we could do but also what it al costs... scary stuff so it is:p

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I looked into the Grainstore in Ballymaloe. They only quotes prices for the meal, and you have to add in everything else yourself (including any choice on the menu) to get an estimate. I worked out that it would be €140 - €150ish per head :eek:. Now, my sums might have been off, but I've heard from people who've had weddings there say they could have had 3 times as many people if they went somewhere else.

Then again, if you're not fussed about things like centrepieces, chair covers, red carpet on arrival etc, you'd probably be able to get it for closer to €100 per head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Wow €140ish for food that is madness!! What are they serving.. I shall trust your words, thank you for the info. if that is a general price just for food I would think not. It really is crazy how much some places charge for the food and the drinks etc. That's why I think we are so impressed with Blackwater as it seems to be no hidden charges. Although we have made a list out to ask him as we are arranging another visit there with my mum and sister.

Drives me mad when you can get a nice bottle of processo lets say for less than €10 but if you bring it in you get corkage of €17 when it is more than likely the same bottle as they would serve themselves..

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Are you definitely going for Cork? All of the above sound cool. I've been to a wedding in Ballyvolane House and I have to say it was one of the best I was ever at. The couple who run the place are so nice, and really couldn't do enough for everyone there. They were on hand all the day before and day of to help out, and the staff and service were excellent. We are copying a lot of their fun elements (such as sharing platters) for our own wedding.

All I've heard about Ballymaloe is that they are very rigid in what you can and can't do.

I've heard Barnabrow house is also supposed to be amazing. Never been there myself, but heard great things.

Looking at the prices you've quoted, they seem about normal for "something different to a hotel". Do bear in mind where your guests will stay and what it will cost them. That was the only downside to Ballyvolane - the only onsite option was glamping which was really expensive.

Best of luck with all the planning. You've loads of time so enjoy it.

With regard to photobooths - so many photographers include them in their packages, or have them as an add on option, so don't rush into any until you've spoken to your photographer. You could get a much better deal with them. We looked into Funky Cam and found them quite pushy, and I would think you could have issues getting them into a lot of venues.

Yeah I think we would defo be Cork as it is a happy mid-way as such between the two sides of the family.. Would be talking Cork and Kerry and I am not really too familiar with the Kerry side of the world..

I do love the room for the wedding party in Ballyvolane it is perfect but yes it is a bummer that there is no accommodation really for guests. There was a suggestion of a mini bus but to be honest I cant see people looking forward to a trip in a bus for half hour-ish. Is a loverly venue though I would think if you have the extra money to spend. We didn't get to meet the owners but from doing a bit of research on line and asking a few people they are getting great reviews. Everyone says they are lovely. The serving style sounds great aswell that they just put a big bowl or plate of cake in front of you. Would love something like that.. Adds a bit of fun to the meal. I wonder how much big lazie suzies would be

On that one I thought of Barnabrow but word on the street is bad.. One girl I know went to a wedding there and the night of the wedding a few of the self catering places were broken into, and cars damaged. The staff were very rude she said just not bothered about anything. The manager on the night decided to up the price or something like that and approached the couple on the evening to say this. :) bad form. I emailed them to ask a few questions and said did they realise that they were getting such bad reviews and strangely heard nothing back from them..

If Blackwater had the room like Ballyvolane we would defiantly be sold on it. It would make, we think, a cheaper option for us and for guests going. There are rooms I think 9 in the Castle itself and then another house onsite that has three double rooms and a dormitory still building that can sleep 40 (it is just who would opt for this) and then the village is only a few mins away..

It is just the extras will they end up costing as much as it would be to go to a standard spot. We can do a lot ourselves regarding decorating, music and creating an ambience but will that all work..

Funky Cam were a bit pushy then? Can I ask did they quote a price, there was a mention of around €200 on the show? We are kind of thinking of not getting a photographer!! Don't know is that asking for trouble but I for one hate photos and we do have a lot of people going who love to take photos so we were thinking of asking them to take a few snaps of the day.. Thinking now I suppose we could set up one room for a photo booth scene and just have the camera on a tripod..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Have you looked at ballinacurra house near kinsale?
    http://ballinacurra.com

Two of my siblings got married there. Nice spot. They do civil as well.

• Advertisement

Hi pwurple, dya know I forgot to get back again for Ballinacurra we had a viewing booked but had to cancel and I meant to make another. A friend slightly put us off because he said he went to a wedding there and it was a bit too posh! Did you feel this at any stage, or was it the opposite.. Might make an date to view it again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

pwurple wrote: »
    Have you looked at ballinacurra house near kinsale?
    http://ballinacurra.com

Two of my siblings got married there. Nice spot. They do civil as well.

I was gonna suggest this too … I've been there (not for a wedding) and it's lovely. Kinsale is great for photo ops too.

Milly33 wrote: »

Funky Cam were a bit pushy then? Can I ask did they quote a price, there was a mention of around €200 on the show? We are kind of thinking of not getting a photographer!! Don't know is that asking for trouble but I for one hate photos and we do have a lot of people going who love to take photos so we were thinking of asking them to take a few snaps of the day.. Thinking now I suppose we could set up one room for a photo booth scene and just have the camera on a tripod..

A bit pushy, but then when you compare them to some people who never even reply to your emails, that's not a bad thing! The cheapest price on their price list is €360, and that's without a single photo printed.

I know what you mean about a photographer, but most photographers these days have a really relaxed style, where you don't even know they are there. While it might not seem like a big thing now - after the wedding, the photos are the only thing you have left of the day - you'll never wear the dress again, the food is eaten, the band are finished playing.... so even though it's costly, it's the only thing you'll get the benefit of for the next 50 years! That's the way we looked at it anyway. If you want to cut costs, you can go for a digital only package, where you don't get an album. When looking, look for someone who does reportage or documentary style, as that'll mean they're in the background, and won't do posed shots unless you ask them! Check out the listings on One Fab Day (although these tend to be the most expensive). As I said, a lot of them include photo booths in their package.

Ok so I shall get back to Ballincurra and see what they are like thank you all.

And ohh I just saw a nice black and white photo in my head of the day. Smiles and bbq so perhaps we should look into some for photos if even just for a few hours it might be worth it as you say, when it is just the one day.

I thought the price for the Funky Cam would inc the printing out or well that it would cover all. Just thought there aswell it might be a nice touch to do it ourselves. As I love things like Halloween and dress up I do have a load of mini little bits that you could put as little props people could use to make the photos fun..Get some of those little glasses on a stick and moustaches..

the drawing board is getting too big. Just though there oh I know what kind of save the date I would do but sure even if I made them now tis too early to send out...I suppose I could make and have them all ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭CorkClaire82

We went to view the Grainstore in Ballymaloe and fell absolutely in love with it but their package was €120 per head and everything else is extra - printing menus and table plans? extra! service charge? extra! And the wedding planner also said that she recommends that every couple spends upwards of €800 on decorating the room. And there is no haggling at all to be done with them. Oh and she was over an hour late meeting us and was that late meeting another friend of mine previously. To be honest I wish we hadn't gone to see it because I loved it so much but it's so ridiculously out of our price range that I was only upset afterwards.

I priced Ballinacurra but it was again was out of our price range. A friend was at a wedding there though and said it was amazing.

On Ballyvolane, again a little too expensive (God I sound cheap!) but I also heard from someone that the yurts were mildewy which is a little euwwww to me but then again this was heard from someone and not something I saw with my own two eyes. I loved the look of it though (we didn't go visit due to the out of our price range issue and how grumpy I was after visiting Ballymaloe!).

To be honest I think places in Cork are fairly over priced for something unusual which I was really disappointed with, we have gone with Horetown House in Wexford which I know is probably not suitable for you but we decided that the venue was more important to us than the location so went wild altogether.

One tip - don't get yourself tied up in knots about the venue. I was totally stressing and kept adding more and more places onto our list to look at and just didn't enjoy it. We were under a time constraint as we wanted it booked before I headed abroad for 7 weeks but eventually when we saw Horetown House we just loved it and went with it. It ended up being really easy, maybe 2 weekends of viewings, and not worth all the pressure I was putting on the search.

Good luck, sorry for my big long missive!!

• Advertisement

Hi pwurple, dya know I forgot to get back again for Ballinacurra we had a viewing booked but had to cancel and I meant to make another. A friend slightly put us off because he said he went to a wedding there and it was a bit too posh! Did you feel this at any stage, or was it the opposite.. Might make an date to view it again

The two weddings were completely different. One was a bbq with bottles of beer in ice baths around the place. As laid back as you could get. A guy with a guitar outside on the steps.

The other was sit down 5 course meal. Quite posh.

So I think it really depends on what you arrange yourself. The venue itself is flexible enough to do either.

Only thing is, they can be pushy with the two night minimum hire thing. They have single night hires as well, but you need to be flexible with dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

kkcatlou wrote: »
    With regard to photobooths - so many photographers include them in their packages, or have them as an add on option, so don't rush into any until you've spoken to your photographer. You could get a much better deal with them. We looked into Funky Cam and found them quite pushy, and I would think you could have issues getting them into a lot of venues.

Just be aware that the vast majority of "photobooths" provided by photographers are not in actual fact a photobooth but a photographer with a camera on a tripod taking pics against a wall. They also rarely do any printing on the night. I've seen and used both and the difference is night and day in both useability and enjoyment.

You really arent comparing like with like so if you want a proper booth for your wedding then Google photobooth and you will find the proper ones on page 1. I'm not sure how funkycam works to be honest for a wedding. I can't imagine many people going out to the carpark to use it in ****ty weather Ireland?? Great idea for a concert though!!

€120 a head sounds very pricey alright and the €800 for decorating sure why should there be something like that isn't it up to each couple how they decorate it? Shame sounds like you found the perfect spot with it, I can feel your pain with not taking it, but perhaps if the planner was that late and known for it and they like to add their prices it was meant to be.. Don't worry you don't sound cheap. We have done out a rough plan and plan to really spend no more than €10,000 from looking around people seem to think this is cheap but feck it to me that's is more than enough. If it went to much more I think well be having a garden party at home.

I was only saying to himself last night about the photo's me thinks I might look into someone now well see and just set up our own spot really to take the photos. We would have loads of room in the carpark for something like funky cam but again if tis raining like said im sure people wont want to be running in and out of the rain..

Thinking of the one venue now constant so I am hoping I am not stuck on it.. I am open minded now if we did find somewhere else, just I kinda want to have something to plan. I only work three days so find myself bored off my nut for the other two so using the wedding planning to fill the time, thank god really because I nearly have the house scrubbed to death :)

Just incase also if anyone was interested in Chip Van I just got a nice PM there from The Chip Van.ie looks like a nice set up and a good deal also...

We have done out a rough plan and plan to really spend no more than €10,000 from looking around people seem to think this is cheap but feck it to me that's is more than enough.

Milly33 - do you mean €10k for everything, as in Don't Tell the Bride style or for the venue + food + drink? How many people are you planning to invite? Most non hotel type venues charge between €2.5-7k for rental alone, and then you're talking food and drinks (arrivals drinks + wine at dinner) of between €60-90 per head on top of that, so even for a small wedding of 80-100 people, you'd be lucky to get it in at under €10k. And then of course you have everything else on top of that.
    Just be aware that the vast majority of "photobooths" provided by photographers are not in actual fact a photobooth but a photographer with a camera on a tripod taking pics against a wall. They also rarely do any printing on the night. I've seen and used both and the difference is night and day in both useability and enjoyment.
    Thanks CinSoots, I'm aware of this, and having been at weddings where both were present, I preferred the photographer option - the photos were better quality, the photographer got people going and involved, and it was just more fun all round. The photobooth in the corner kinda sat there until we were all drunk enough to join in, and then the photos were just silly. That said, it was good to have them to take away as a souvenir, as as you say, with the photographer option you don't get prints on the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Thanks CinSoots, I'm aware of this, and having been at weddings where both were present, I preferred the photographer option - the photos were better quality, the photographer got people going and involved, and it was just more fun all round. The photobooth in the corner kinda sat there until we were all drunk enough to join in, and then the photos were just silly. That said, it was good to have them to take away as a souvenir, as as you say, with the photographer option you don't get prints on the night!

I work in the wedding industry so I have seen a lot of these and I've never seen the photobooth just sat in the corner!! Usually there is a queue to use it straight after dinner.

The photographer does indeed have to get people going and involved as people in the main don't feel comfortable in front of a camera so don't want to do it whereas with the both they can use it as they please without any pressure from a fun loving photographer!! Some people don't like to be pressurised into doing things!

Also the whole idea of the photobooth is the print at the end of it. Without that what's the point?

CinSoots wrote: »
    I work in the wedding industry so I have seen a lot of these and I've never seen the photobooth just sat in the corner!! Usually there is a queue to use it straight after dinner.

The photographer does indeed have to get people going and involved as people in the main don't feel comfortable in front of a camera so don't want to do it whereas with the both they can use it as they please without any pressure from a fun loving photographer!! Some people don't like to be pressurised into doing things!

Also the whole idea of the photobooth is the print at the end of it. Without that what's the point?

Thanks for that! Hey, look, it's just my opinion! I had more craic at the one where there was a photographer, so for that reason, that's what we're going with.

I totally see your point re: no print at the end of it, but my friends that had a photographer based on, sent on the slideshow afterwards, and there was a whatsapp group that went on for literally a week after laughing over it when they sent it around! It was hilarious! Another friend brought us all over to her house to look at theirs, and again we had a great night falling around laughing! The only alternative I was thinking of was to have a polaroid along with the photographer (if they'd be OK with that) so you could also print some of the pics?! I might look into it.

The photographer was great at giving us ideas for funny things to do, and got us going early in the night. I suppose it depends on your photographer really. As with any of these things, after a few drinks nobody was self conscious and everyone had a go (or 4) even the oldies.

The one where there was a physical booth, we did have a laugh, but nobody really went near it until we got word that it was finishing up in 20 minutes, and then as you say, there was a big queue, and it got frantic.

But again, I suppose it really does depend on both the photographer and the crowd at the wedding!

yep it would be €10 as the same as don't tell the bride. I think tis mad spending anymore.. I suppose im kind of lucky as I am quite creative, my mum is a florist and a darn good one, we kinda know a few people in the music scene. But even taking away those few things I think it is quite possible to do it for this price.. I will try my best to keep this thread going until the big day itself just to see how it all works out.

The most common thing I have heard is Delegate to those who you think would like to get more involved. I trust people who we would like to invite to think that they would be more than happy to help us out.. So far the venue is the most pricey thing and after that me thinks is going to be the food. Hooneymoon there is nothing planned for to be honest I would be more than happy going camping and stopping off in Caseys for crab claws!! We have the rest of out lifes to do big grand trips, this is just the start of it. Dress although I want a nice one €1,000 max is the limit for that, I don't mind second hand or even one that is not labelled as a wedding dress all the rest then just depends..

The room is Ballymaloe is totally blank so hence why the decoration needs but when I asked could we decorate it she said she recommends couples not to do that to avoid stress!! Chancer, it was money in her pocket if we went with her as coincidentally she was a designer as well. Anyway, delighted with our choice of Horetown House now and don't feel like we are being taken for a complete ride.

10k does seem fairly low but if you do keep this thread going than I could use some help in getting our budget down. So far with the venue and drink we are already over 10k!! We'll save in other areas I imagine but it's not going to be easy.

10K is absolutely plenty for a gorgeous wedding. Our wedding was below that for 70 people and we paid for some peoples rooms, all the wedding party stuff etc. this was the noughties as well when everyone was charging top whack.

Your dress budget is even high... Second hand is the way to go for that. People sell gorgeous dresses after one use, and you can sell it again straight away afterwards.

Irish site here:
    http://www.sellmyweddingdress.net

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    10K is absolutely plenty for a gorgeous wedding. Our wedding was below that for 70 people and we paid for some peoples rooms, all the wedding party stuff etc. this was the noughties as well when everyone was charging top whack.

Your dress budget is even high... Second hand is the way to go for that. People sell gorgeous dresses after one use, and you can sell it again straight away afterwards.

Irish site here:
    http://www.sellmyweddingdress.net

Based on our experience something unusual is more expensive but then again we are having 160 guests so it is always going to be on the expensive end!!

Thanks for that link, those dresses look great.

yep it would be €10 as the same as don't tell the bride. I think tis mad spending anymore.. I suppose im kind of lucky as I am quite creative, my mum is a florist and a darn good one, we kinda know a few people in the music scene. But even taking away those few things I think it is quite possible to do it for this price.. I will try my best to keep this thread going until the big day itself just to see how it all works out.

The most common thing I have heard is Delegate to those who you think would like to get more involved. I trust people who we would like to invite to think that they would be more than happy to help us out.. So far the venue is the most pricey thing and after that me thinks is going to be the food. Hooneymoon there is nothing planned for to be honest I would be more than happy going camping and stopping off in Caseys for crab claws!! We have the rest of out lifes to do big grand trips, this is just the start of it. Dress although I want a nice one €1,000 max is the limit for that, I don't mind second hand or even one that is not labelled as a wedding dress all the rest then just depends..

Wow, fair play to you if you can keep it under €10k. What numbers are you looking at? I'm not doubting you in any way, I'm in awe - but as I said, rental alone for most of your type of venues is €5k and then €60-100 on top of that for food and drink, so you must be having tiny numbers.

We're doing something similar to you - my Mam is also an excellent wedding florist, I'm doing my own cake, we're not getting cars, have family doing make up, DJ, videography, etc. I got my dress (a Jenny Packham) for €450 in a sample sale, yet I still can't see how we'll get away with under €30k for a country house wedding for 160 people.

Do keep us posted on how things go as I think we could all use a few tips here!

Hello all, oh skitting at that link name for some reason all i saw was smellyweddingdress haha.. Thanks pwurple they look pretty amazing alright. Yep I would have no problem going second hand, once it fits ill be happy...

I shall indeed keep all updated with prices as such or how it goes. I must get another book to keep track of that. That is pretty mad for the lady in Ballymaloe to say they would do the decorating for that price, since they probably have half the stuff anywho to use for general use. I plan to make a lot of our own.

Was thinking perhaps potted herbs in those silver small buckets, would put the table numbers then on a stick lets say or the top of a stick and pop it into the bucket. I can make them also just need some card, sticky stuff and some sort and skewers.

Mum came up with a good way of getting rid of a lot of old slate we have at home, we can use that for signage.

If we are going down the route of needing flower containers, I am opting for a mass selection of jam jars, also for tea lights too. Just get a pretty piece of lace or dollie and stick around the jar to fancy it up and wal-la!! tis a fancy jar..

What else, might try this teaming up notion also. My cousin is getting married this year and already, her friend who got married has passed decorations onto her, and if well their nice i might ask her would she like me to take them off her hand haha.. I hope she doesnt read this as I havent asked yet!! But thats a great idea to team up would save a lot..

Still trying to see how much food would be cough cough pigspit waiting three days now for a reply tut tut.. Might call into a few places at the weekend and see.

Tying to look into the ceremony part now also to get an idea. I priced the humanist and that was €460 or there abouts which i think is mad.

I know it is €150 anyway off hand isnt it for the registry as such no matter what you do.

I might see how much a civil service would cost, or a church wedding near the location which it think all we would need is a letter of freedom and then pay the priest there. Or perhaps another option is to just call to the registry office for the €150 get that done and then maybe ask one of the monks to do a blessing!! Is there any other cost's I am missing beside the €150 for registry and the letter of freedom if needed? are the only other cost just what whoever, priest, druid, monk, random person is going to charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭pooch90

It's 200 for the HSE now.
    You would need to pay for your pre marriage course,contribution to priest/sacristan/altar servers etc.
    That's before you decorate church, pay musicians/choir/organist.

Humanist, one off payment, job done. You still have the HSE payment tho.

Just on the photo booth, our photographer is setting up a back drop and doing it that way. No print outs on the night but he is going to put them all up on his Facebook page/website and people can download them from there. We get them on a disc I think.

They find a way to charge for all don't they. €200 right I will pencil that one in.

I didn't think the marriage course was more too, oh dear perhaps we can find an old ruin of a church and work from there haha so we might get out of it that way. Id say we would be ok for singers probably just have a guitar tune..

God just thinking now a few of the hotels charge again for having the civil ceremony there aswell so if you were to do that in a hotel as such you would be paying them €350/€400 and then more again for the civil servant and what not..

We are going to call down again on Sunday to the area and im going to have a look at the churches there perhaps I might come across a priest and have a chat with him..

That sounds fair enough with the photobooth at least you can still access them from facebook so there wont be any extra charge..

Based on our experience something unusual is more expensive but then again we are having 160 guests so it is always going to be on the expensive end!!

Thanks for that link, those dresses look great.

Mine was non-traditional... I think that's what kept the costs way down actually. We skipped the church, and brought the priest outdoors. Saved decorating and paying for a church. :)

Had a garden party type meal/drinks rather than sit-down meal.

Didn't bother with massive fancy-decorated cake, got three large chocolate cakes from a local baker that morning and put them on nice stands.

Car to bring me and dad there was a family friends vintage car. And the friend drove it!

Dress was second hand. Had a second short dress from monsoon sale for later on.

Kept the numbers down.
    Invitations were printed on nice card at a local printer, but no tassles, lace or glittery things.

Did the flowers myself, mostly from my own garden and my grandmothers garden.

Kept the wedding party small.

Neighbours did ceremony music.

Didn't have any gimmicky things like favours or personalised napkins etc.

It was a two day party, we went to a local pub the next day, they included pizzas for us and there was a guy on guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

any bride who gets excited and puts glitter or small little star things in the invites should be shot.

I've got 2 or 3 of those over the years, opened the envelopes without knowing the glitter was in there. congrats on the engagement, thanks for the invite, but how'd you like it if I went round your house and threw a load of shiny glitter on your carpet that youll still be finding 6 weeks later despite 10 hoovers

:mad::mad::mad:

rant over.

Yeah, i open my post over dinner quite often. Dinners have been ruined.

haha so noted do not put sparkles' in the invites, that would be quite annoying!!

We are at an odds with how many to invite I think when it comes down to it once we have the venue well go from there.We can either do it big or small really it would be my extended family that would make it a big wedding and neighbours.

Something like the lines of Pwurple and kkcatlou style wedding by the sound of it. Just something relaxed and fun..I like the garden party style if we could just get the weather..

I got a quote back from Pigspit yesterday for the food, cutlery and people to serve. They are quite reasonable based on 120 people it was 39.50 a head but that is for canapes on arrival, dinner and late night nibbles as well.They have quite a nice selction.

Also got one back from Elite Catering on Monaghan road and depending what you do here it could work out pretty cheap but I don't think they supply the cutlery and waiting staff, but I shall have to call down there and ask them what they would offer..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Or if anyone else knows of a nice country house/castle let me know.

Have you looked at Tankardstown house? Not sure if location suits you.

Advertisement