Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Removing Installer Files after installing 3.40 OE-A custom firmware for PSP

• 28-07-2007 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I successful installed 3.40 OE-A custom firmware for my PSP a couple of weeks ago using the Lumines exploit, but I've still the installer files on my memory stick, along with the custom firmware maker folders and possibly some of the 1.50 downgrader files too - do I need them?

Could I format the whole memory stick altogether without any problem if I felt like it?

Does 3.40 OE-A need any files to be on the memory stick to read it? I know I don't need a memory stick in the PSP to boot it (meaning I have taken the memory stick out and turned on my PSP without bricking it).

I've read around and come across alot of vague mentions of back-ups and Flash0, but I've not come across anything that I could get my head around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MiloFoxburr

Yeah you can format the memory stick it won't cause any issues.

You should probably updated to 3.52M-33 though as that is the newest custom firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Yeah you can format the memory stick it won't cause any issues.

Good to know, but is there anyway of backing up my firmware if an upgrade goes wrong and my PSP winds up semi-bricked because of it?
    You should probably updated to 3.52M-33 though as that is the newest custom firmware

I haven't come across that anywhere before; I chose 3.40 OE-A because it's been around for a while, seeing as I'd never installed a custom firmware before I wanted to make sure there were no complications that may arise from recently releases versions.

I'll have to check that out. As it stands now I'll probably just delete the files from the memory stick, its only a 1 GB one and with the music I have on it it doesn't have much room left for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

a5y wrote:
    Good to know, but is there anyway of backing up my firmware if an upgrade goes wrong and my PSP winds up semi-bricked because of it?

Going into recovery mode would sort it out. (power on holding the right trigger) One of few ways to semi brick would be to install new themes (mess with the flash) But i always back up my flash0 before i mess with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Going into recovery mode would sort it out. (power on holding the right trigger) One of few ways to semi brick would be to install new themes (mess with the flash) But i always back up my flash0 before i mess with it.

I went into recovery mode and looked through the menus, but I couldn't see any option to back anything up there. Which option is it?

Here's what I've gotten, maybe* I overlooked something

Recovery Mode
    Main Menu

• Toggle USB
    • Configuration ->
      • Back
      • Skip SCE logo (Currently: Disabled)
      • Hide corrupt icons (Currently: Disabled)
      • Game Folder Homebrew (Currently: 3.40 Kernel)
      • Autorun program at /PSP/GAME/BOOT/EBOOT.PBP (Currently: Disabled)
      • Use NO-UMD (Currently: Disabled)
      • Fake Region (Currently: Disabled)[Free UMD Region (Currently: Disabled)]
    • Run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PSP
    • Advanced ->
      • Back
      • Advanced configuration ->
        • Back
        • Plain modules in UMD/ISO (currently: Disabled)
        • Execute BOOT.BIN in UMD/ISO (Currently: Disabled)
        • Use isofs driver also in UMD-inserted mode (currently: Disabled)
      • Toggle USB (flash0)
      • Toggle USB (flash1)
    • CPU Speed ->
      • Back
      • Speed in XMB (currently: Default)
      • Speed in UMD/ISO (currently: Default)
    • Plugins ->
      • Back
    • Registry Hacks ->
      • Back
      • Button assign (currently X is enter)
      • Activate WMA
      • Activate Flash Player
    • EXIT

*more probably than maybe

Or is it the sort of file you'd need to connect up using the USB mode to a computer to back up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Advanced->
    Advanced configuration ->
    Toggle USB (flash0)

No point though if your not gonna mess with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MiloFoxburr

Advanced->
    Advanced configuration ->
    Toggle USB (flash0)

No point though if your not gonna mess with anything.

Yeah unless you're gonna mess with Flash0 there is no point in backing it up. If your PSP does decide to randomly brick one day recovery mode will be gone too so there will be no way (software wise) to restore the PSP.

Just google 3.52 M33 to find out about the latest custom firmware.

Advertisement