Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

SeaFields wrote: »
    wasnt too much of a problem last september when they were bringing sam home :pac:

Tony Considine's article in the examiner today will have been a sobering read for many of the cork panel and management. Cut them to pieces basically and told them to go.

Considine has nothing better to do than this. He is probably bitter that his poor managerial performance has taken away from his credibility as an all-ireland winning selector. I don't like his articles, he comes across as very spiteful all to often. The demise of Cork is greatly exaggerated. Every team needs time to rebuild. I mean just look at the players that were on the Tipp 21s team last year that Cork should have beaten; Paudie Maher, Brendan Maher, Bonner Maher, John O Keefe, Noel McGrath, Michael Cahill. And they'd a good team around that as well. This year all those players are overage. They were very unconvincing in the end against a Waterford side that has 12 or 13 players available again next year and 7 the year after and two of those that started are still minor! Add in the fact that Brian O Halloran is injured and some bad refereeing decisions (the fact that we were down to 14 for most of the second half) and Tipp will have asked serious questions of themselves. If this Cork team are good, which I believe they are, they should win on Friday and who knows what they could achieve after that! You could be seeing things in a completely different light altogether come the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Cusack/Gardiner/Kenny/Ben/Jerry/Cussen/Fraggy/O'Neill /Curran should all go
    All they will be remembered for at this point is strike after strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I mean just look at the players that were on the Tipp 21s team last year that Cork should have beaten; Paudie Maher, Brendan Maher, Bonner Maher, John O Keefe, Noel McGrath, Michael Cahill. And they'd a good team around that as well. This year all those players are overage.

Noel McGrath is underage, as are 7 of the team that started last years AI final.

Show Time wrote: »

Donal Og, Gardner, Curran and the two o'Connors will also be remembered as some of the finest players of their generation who changed how the game was played.

Noel McGrath is underage, as are 7 of the team that started last years AI final.

Sorry he is and captain, got a bit ahead of myself. Yeah but you were at the game, it's hard to say they were convincing. I mean John O Neill was very good and some of the backs played well, Curran is a good hurler, but they are certainly nothing like last years team.

• Advertisement

Donal Og, Gardner, Curran and the two o'Connors will also be remembered as some of the finest players of their generation who changed how the game was played.
    And instead of cementing that legacy season after season was spent fighting with the Co Board and management whenever a toy was thrown from the pram.

Sorry he is and captain, got a bit ahead of myself. Yeah but you were at the game, it's hard to say they were convincing. I mean John O Neill was very good and some of the backs played well, Curran is a good hurler, but they are certainly nothing like last years team.

No but tbf last years team was a bit of an exception, yeah I was at the Waterford game, our backs are poor imo the Corner Back Haugh is the only one that will make it to senior, possibly Brian Stapelton, the forwards are very good and 4 of them have been on the Tipp senior panel already

No but tbf last years team was a bit of an exception, yeah I was at the Waterford game, our backs are poor imo the Corner Back Haugh is the only one that will make it to senior, possibly Brian Stapelton, the forwards are very good and 4 of them have been on the Tipp senior panel already

Paddy Murphy was poor enough the last day. O'Meara works in fits and starts, very good at times but not consistent. Bubbles was kept well under wraps by a 17 year old, though he is a very good player. Who was the other half forward I'm forgetting?

And instead of cementing that legacy season after season was spent fighting with the Co Board and management whenever a toy was thrown from the pram.

I agree that the strikes went too far and have left a bitter sweet feeling over that crop of players but to suggest that that is all they will ever be rembered for is not true, now Sean Og is a different story :D

Paddy Murphy was poor enough the last day. O'Meara works in fits and starts, very good at times but not consistent. Bubbles was kept well under wraps by a 17 year old, though he is a very good player. Who was the other half forward I'm forgetting?

Paddy Murphy is extremely frustrating player very hot and cold was about to be subbed last year against Clare in the munster final next thing he scored 6 points from play in about ten minutes, Buggy O'Meara is not reaching the level he was at last year at all and seems to be carrying a bit of weight from what i've seen of him, Bubbles is an arrogant moody sort of a young lad he could score 1-10 from play or he could be taken off at HT.

The 6 forwards were Curran, Murphy, O'Meara, Bubbles, Adrian Ryan, and Johnno Neill. Buggy and Ryan switched. Whats lacking there is a real match winner if Tipp were struggling all lovely hurlers on their day but you#d worry about any of them diggin Tipp out of a hole.

• Advertisement

Do you know how many Cork have from last year? I know Egan is still there, are McLoughlin and McCarthy? Jamie Coughlan was good against Waterford last year and there is alot of talk about this Lehane lad.

Do you know how many Cork have from last year? I know Egan is still there, are McLoughlin and McCarthy? Jamie Coughlan was good against Waterford last year and there is alot of talk about this Lehane lad.

Yeah Egan is still eligle, Aidan Walsh is playing, Coughlan, Lehane, O'Farrell, Nagle, and watch out for Drake he is definitely one for the new Cork Senior management to look at. Their FB line is shakey but other than that a pretty strong and balanced team.

Should be a very good game anyway. As should the Clare v Limerick game. Maybe Clare will be buoyed by the minors success but if you ask me I think Limerick have a good chance in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Only by bitter half-wits.

McLoughlin and McCarthy are overage, but we have a stronger team this year then last. I'm guessing the team will be...

Darren Mac (B'Martle)

B. Withers (Duhallow somewhere) Finn (B'Hassig) S. Corry (B'Martle)

Nagle (Midleton) Egan (Kilbrin) Ellis (Millstreet)

Roche (Sars) S. O'Farrell (Midleton)

Drake (Carrigaline) Lehane (Midleton) Brosnan (The Glen)

M. O'Sullivan (Tracton) L. O'Farrell (Midleton) Coughlan (Newtown)

If we hold Tipp's full-forward line we'll win, but thats a very big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Orizio wrote: »
    B. Withers (Duhallow somewhere)

From Banteer.

I personally think that Ellis will start at center back as he would be more suited to marking Paddy Murphy who is a big man

McLoughlin and McCarthy are overage, but we have a stronger team this year then last. I'm guessing the team will be...

Darren Mac (B'Martle)

B. Withers (Duhallow somewhere) Finn (B'Hassig) S. Corry (B'Martle)

Nagle (Midleton) Egan (Kilbrin) Ellis (Millstreet)

Roche (Sars) S. O'Farrell (Midleton)

Drake (Carrigaline) Lehane (Midleton) Brosnan (The Glen)

M. O'Sullivan (Tracton) L. O'Farrell (Midleton) Coughlan (Newtown)

If we hold Tipp's full-forward line we'll win, but thats a very big ask.

Will Aidan Walsh not start do you think?

Only by bitter half-wits.
    Cork could have been the team of the decade only for all the infighting caused by the stars of the team. Mark my words in 40 odd years time the likes of Sean Og will only be remembered for what money he could make from handing out awards to underage East Cork players.

Will Aidan Walsh not start do you think?

Either him or Drake, tbh I have no idea how much hurling has has done over the last few months. It would probably be prudent to keep him on the bench but there is a good chance he'll start as another primary ballwinner because of the above team only Brosnan and Lehane are decent in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Cork could have been the team of the decade only for all the infighting caused by the stars of the team. Mark my words in 40 odd years time the likes of Sean Og will only be remembered for what money he could make from handing out awards to underage East Cork players.

I bet your mother is proud of you.

• Advertisement

What has that got to do with the state Cork hurling is in?

Major changes needed especially at the top table of the Co Board and selectors and management. Is the overhaul of the underage in full swing yet?

Ignore the troll.

Ignore the troll.
    Truth hurts eh?

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    I agree with you. Heard he used charge gaa clubs for medal presentations, total disgrace.

Link or apologise to a Cork Hurling legend.

Truth hurts eh?

You're right, I'm visciously hurt by your made up insults. If only I had the bravery and courage to be an junior b hurler anonymously insulting and slandering a Cork legend that gave a decade's worth of blood and sweat for his county from the safety of my computer. Alas, I lack your obviously considerable sense of dignity and moral strength. :(

I did also ask a serious question about underage development or is there anything been done there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Utterly clueless.
    Typical response I expected from you.

I did also ask a serious question about underage development or is there anything been done there.

Well there was a five year plan put in place (or else put forward to the CCB) a year or so back which looked excellent, and apparently there is a massive amount of new coaches in the county over the last couple of years plus full-time development coaches (not sure if they are still in place) and underage development squads. At the same time a lot of people are still saying Cork hurling underage is nowhere near as well prepared as the footballers, so who knows if things are getting better.

• Advertisement

Well there was a five year plan put in place (or else put forward to the CCB) a year or so back which looked excellent, and apparently there is a massive amount of new coaches in the county over the last couple of years plus full-time development coaches (not sure if they are still in place) and underage development squads. At the same time a lot of people are still saying Cork hurling underage is nowhere near as well prepared as the footballers, so who knows if things are getting better.
    Long road ahead so.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement