Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Motorhome / Conversion, VRT and You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Hey guys, just registered my camper. I sent all my docs away to Rosslare, they hit me with the VRT bill, which I paid to my local tax office. Got a receipt for the VRT payment in the post today. What now? Can I bring the receipt to the tax office or do I have to wait for a log book off somebody? Anybody know how long that takes to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jay f

Would you mind to share what is your campervan ang how much they charge you for vrt? Thanks

I have a nissan panel van and converting to camper by stages. I wonder how much it would cost for my vrt when its all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hey guys, just registered my camper. I sent all my docs away to Rosslare, they hit me with the VRT bill, which I paid to my local tax office. Got a receipt for the VRT payment in the post today. What now? Can I bring the receipt to the tax office or do I have to wait for a log book off somebody? Anybody know how long that takes to arrive?

Bring the receipt to the tax office and pay for the tax and the logbook will follow from Shannon.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Bring the receipt to the tax office and pay for the tax and the logbook will follow from Shannon.

Cool. Do they need the DOE cert in the tax office?

I think they probably would like to see it. No harm bringing it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Its not a requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

Hi folks,

How does it work with converting a passenger vehicle to camper?

Is there any more / less work to do as regards type reclassification?

I.E. if I wanted to convert a Caravelle / Shuttle to camper.

Thanks a million!
    Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Hi folks,

How does it work with converting a passenger vehicle to camper?

Is there any more / less work to do as regards type reclassification?

I.E. if I wanted to convert a Caravelle / Shuttle to camper.

Thanks a million!
    Daniel

intersted in the same..
    someone writes that is 500 to convert it, other 2000.. really not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

jsabina wrote: »
    intersted in the same..
    someone writes that is 500 to convert it, other 2000.. really not sure

If you read the thread, its all explained in great detail

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Thanks I will read it all now.. I went just through few posts and was not sure if VRT was only for importing.
    From my understanding is also for converting an Irish vehicle.
    Just seems really too expensive to me.

I will have a look to the full thread anyway.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Hi All tonnes of great advice in this thread been really helpful, I've just picked up a Mazda Bongo am converting it now fitting a new kitchen with smev hob but need some advice on where to go to get it passed by a SQI in north Dublin if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

RE: VRT.
    How many days does it take for Revenue to come back to you with the VRT details?

Hey guys, just registered my camper.  I sent all my docs away to Rosslare, they hit me with the VRT bill, which I paid to my local tax office.  Got a receipt for the VRT payment in the post today.  What now? Can I bring the receipt to the tax office or do I have to wait for a log book off somebody? Anybody know how long that takes to arrive?
    I have the same question? How long does it take to get the van on the road after paying the VRT and re-registering as camper?
    And legally can you drive the camper without getting the new tax disc or logbook back from motortax?

n1st wrote: »
    I have the same question? How long does it take to get the van on the road after paying the VRT and re-registering as camper?
    And legally can you drive the camper without getting the new tax disc or logbook back from motortax?
    Over 4 yrs old you will need to get it doe tested and that will trigger the logbook issue. Iirc

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Over 4 yrs old you will need to get it doe tested and that will trigger the logbook issue. Iirc

The DOE (as a panel van) is good until May 2018.

The DOE (as a panel van) is good until May 2018.

Change of tax class will usually need to be retested. I could be wrong but that would be my take on it.

Lucky for you I can answer this question for you by now.

The process I followed is as follows.
    • Get the van changed over from a revenue perspective as I mentioned above.
    • Bring the VRT receipt and the engineers report (same documentation as I sent to Revenue) to the DOE centre. They were happy enough to test it as a camper with this.
    • The insurance can be sorted once the DOE is passed (they will ask for a declaration). I would be comfortable driving the van at this stage. If you have the documentation to show its been changed over recently it is likely a guard will be reasonable with you.
    • Take the DOE cert and VRT receipt to the tax office.
    • After about half an hour, the involvement of 4 different staff members and much flicking through manuals in the tax office they figured out how to change it from a commercial vehicle to a camper and gave me the tax disc.

Hope that helps!

Here's my experience (my van is now legal).
    Artefacts:
    • SQI Engineers Report.
    • VRT application form for Revenue with photos and Engineers report.
    • VRT Invoice.
    • VRT Receipt.
    • New Tax disk.
    • New Insurance disk.
    Process
      1. Declare your vehicle off the road withing 27days of purchase or else you are liable for arrears on road tax).
      2. Engineers Report: SQI test will be done by Inspector (you're Van-Converter should know who to contact).
      3. VRT: Get all documents, photos and forms from Van-Converter and send to Revenue for VRT review. Revenue will return a VRT Invoice.  (1 -4 weeks).
      4.     Pay VRT with Revenue and get receipt.
      5.     Where I'm not sure I think a cheque to Revenue Rosslare or possibly an NCT centre, I was lucky to get the IBAN/bank details to pay online.
      6.     Revenue in Rosslare are not contactable at all so once you apply for VRT you will have to wait.
      7.      Revenue Rosslare do the evaluation and send the VRT Invoice to local Revenue for postage to you.
      8.     If you're lucky talk to your local Revenue they maybe able to speed up the payment process by doing it over email with IBAN.
      9. Insurance: Depending on your insurer they may give you insurance without the VRT receipt. Some will give insurance with SQI Report, VRT Receipt, old logbook (new logbook is not required).
      10. Tax disk and change vehicle type: Take the VRT receipt, Engineers Report, Old Logbook, Insurance details to the tax office. The Van should now be declared on the system as a camper. The Motortax can now also be gotten (no need to declare the van off the road if I have the insurance disk).
      11. LogBook: The new Logbook will be in the post in 3 days.

CVRT/DOE: No one seems to care about the CVRT/DOE. My van had a valid one as a panel van.

1. Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭WDB123

Thinking of buying a 92
      308D autotrail 5 berth from uk valued at 4K anyone have an idea what the cost to bring it in would be??

2. Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Hi

Can anyone confirm is below the official requirements for a panel van conversion.
      https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/conversions/specific-vehicles.aspx

If so, how rigid is the rule
      "It would be expected that the living accommodation space in the rear compartment would have side windows"

Im thinking of converting a MWB Sprinter van, just wondering if I will have to install new windows in the side of it.

thanks...

3. Advertisement
    4. Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Here's a camper with no windows in he rear so it would seem that it's possible, or at least was at one point to get a van classified as a camper without rear windows.
      https://www.adverts.ie/mobile-homes/cool-camper-campervan-for-quick-sale/13333650

5. Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

air wrote: »
      Here's a camper with no windows in he rear so it would seem that it's possible, or at least was at one point to get a van classified as a camper without rear windows.
      https://www.adverts.ie/mobile-homes/cool-camper-campervan-for-quick-sale/13333650

Dolmen and motorcaravan club won't cover it, stuarts mights

6. Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Out of interest how do the insurers assess campers prior to issuing cover?
      Do they typically request photos of the conversion?

7. Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

air wrote: »
      Out of interest how do the insurers assess campers prior to issuing cover?
      Do they typically request photos of the conversion?

I had to provide pics of the outside and inside to Stuarts, mine is a factory built PVC.

8. Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Can you get it insured before its registered as a camper? i.e. how do you get it from your house to the garage to get it inspected and certified as a camper.

I was going to cancel my car insurance, get van insurance, drive it there.
      But I want to see if there is an easier way around this if possible.

9. Registered Users Posts: 3 Thiscouldbeit

@ oxygen: I think the MotorCaravan Club can sometimes arrange up to 10 days temporary cover while you get yourself sorted. You need to pass their assessment that your camper is legitimate and your intentions pure!

10. Registered Users Posts: 3 Thiscouldbeit

I have a question and would welcome any clarification. I have read through the thread but can't find exactly the answer.

I am importing a Mercedes Vito. It is registered in the UK as commercial, but it is already fully converted to a camper. I want to complete the Declaration of Conversion of a Vehicle form for the Revenue for going from an N1 to and M1. However, the form asks for receipts and invoices from the conversion, which I don't have and which maybe don't even exist anymore as the conversion was done by the previous owner several years ago in the UK.

I think that in previous versions of the Declaration of Conversion form, the receipts and invoices were not actually asked for, but now they are..

Has anyone found a way around this? Will revenue accept the SQI signing the form and photos as sufficient proof?

Thanks.

11. Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I have a question and would welcome any clarification. I have read through the thread but can't find exactly the answer.

I am importing a Mercedes Vito. It is registered in the UK as commercial, but it is already fully converted to a camper. I want to complete the Declaration of Conversion of a Vehicle form for the Revenue for going from an N1 to and M1. However, the form asks for receipts and invoices from the conversion, which I don't have and which maybe don't even exist anymore as the conversion was done by the previous owner several years ago in the UK.

I think that in previous versions of the Declaration of Conversion form, the receipts and invoices were not actually asked for, but now they are..

Has anyone found a way around this? Will revenue accept the SQI signing the form and photos as sufficient proof?

Thanks.

Yes, an approved SQI needs to complete an assessment of the vehicle before hand though

12. Registered Users Posts: 3 Thiscouldbeit

Thanks Buford

13. Advertisement
    14. Registered Users Posts: 14 sheener287

Hi All, I have read through thread and theirs some great advise. I have just purchased a 06 Opel Movano crew cab and started my conversion and have a couple of questions you might be able to help me with.

I have declared off road within the 21 days as it had no DOE or Tax for over a year, Is this correct thing to do?

As a crew cab it has three rear seat which I plan on using just two and moving forward a bit and re bolting down with 12mm bolts & Nylon
      lock nuts and plates, is this OK?

I have bought smev 9222 twin hob and sink, does this cover "cooking" part required to be classed as a camper? Does the kitchen need to be bolted through floor also?

I am fitting bunk beds transversely at the rear of the van, any special requirements there?

Thanks for the help.
      Stephen

Advertisement