Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Motorhome / Conversion, VRT and You.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's a diy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Just been through the conversion process - highly recommend Cillian from the MCC for any SQI work btw, very friendly and helpful! - paid VRT, and got a new registration cert back in the post. Unfortunately I'm a bit confused - the cert has changed from N1 to M1 under (J), but still remains listed as Van under (D.3) Body Type, and 'Own Goods' under (J.2) Motor Taxation Class - should these not have changed? There was also a previous letter from Revenue that said that they'd accepted/approved the conversion and received the VRT or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

MJohnston wrote: »
    highly recommend Cillian from the MCC for any SQI work .

MCC ?

Motor Caravan Club (of Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Beenlost123

Say I import a commercial van as a private person. Pay VRT. Convert it and then pay VRT to convert it to a campervan. My understanding is VRT (paid to convert to camper 13.5% OMSB) Minus VRT (paid to import) = VRT I will actually pay for conversion

Is this correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Thst's as good a guess as any! at the end of the day it's just a figure pulled out of the air to get as much tax as possible.

I've yet to hear of anyone who hasn't had the figure revised downwards on appeal with actual examples of OMSP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I could be back on this journey again as my demountable need a new host vehicle.

At the moment it looks as though the only suitable vehicles are in the U.K. so here we go again!!.

Say I import a commercial van as a private person. Pay VRT. Convert it and then pay VRT to convert it to a campervan. My understanding is VRT (paid to convert to camper 13.5% OMSB) Minus VRT (paid to import) = VRT I will actually pay for conversion

Is this correct?

That's exactly what it is. Thing is, you'll only pay a tiny amount for commercial VRT, so the VRT you pay for conversion ends up being most of that 13.5% of the OMSP. Happened to me a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

MJohnston wrote: »
    Just been through the conversion process - highly recommend Cillian from the MCC for any SQI work btw, very friendly and helpful! - paid VRT, and got a new registration cert back in the post. Unfortunately I'm a bit confused - the cert has changed from N1 to M1 under (J), but still remains listed as Van under (D.3) Body Type, and 'Own Goods' under (J.2) Motor Taxation Class - should these not have changed? There was also a previous letter from Revenue that said that they'd accepted/approved the conversion and received the VRT or something along those lines.

Did you get this sorted out?

Also, how long did the process take from sending in all the Certs (RGI, SQI, Photos, etc) and receiving your new Log Book?

Did you get this sorted out?

Also, how long did the process take from sending in all the Certs (RGI, SQI, Photos, etc) and receiving your new Log Book?

Yeah sorted, they sent out that new reg cert I mentioned, and then once I went to the tax office and presented all the info again, they took it back and then replaced it with the campervan cert. I had to do it over the Christmas break, but it probably took about 3-4 weeks without the holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Few question guys if any one can help out...
    1. Can a camper van be driven on a car licence?
    2. Generally how much is one to insure?(6 berth camper van, 2.3 deisel)
    3. How much to tax?
    4. Once taxed and insured can i allow other people to "rent" it off me or is this a no no?
    Thanks in advance....

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

1; Yes as long as its under 3500kg gvw
    2;€340 ish
    3;€105
    4; You can name other drivers, but rent to them, no.

Thanks a lot for the info.... is there any way of being allowed to lease it or rent it to other people through out the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the info.... is there any way of being allowed to lease it or rent it to other people through out the year?
    If its for hire or reward - no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Not with a off the shelf policy you'd have to try to persuade a broker but I can't see them going to effort of a policy for a single vehicle.

jamesbil wrote: »
    1; Yes as long as its under 3500kg gvw
    2;€340 ish
    3;€105
    4; You can name other drivers, but rent to them, no.

How many do you think you'd be fit to name?
    A group of 4 of us are thinking about investing in a good campervan....

Seriously think twice even sharing with family is a pain in the ass, everyone is going to want it for the same times, bank holiday weekends, easter holidays, christmas holidays, summer holidays, electric picnic, body and soul, the euros etc. It could be a good way to spoil a friendship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

With Dolman you can name one other driver for free, and any others then incur a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 davered

Hi guys, is the Vrt on converting a 2005 transit 8 seat minibus to camper going to be 13.5% ,regards David

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

davered wrote: »
    Hi guys, is the Vrt on converting a 2005 transit 8 seat minibus to camper going to be 13.5% ,regards David

While you might call it a minibus such a vehicle is as car according to EU Vehicle Categorisation, An EU Vehicle of Category M1.

The Revenue definition is a passenger vehicle with less than 10 permanently fitted seats, while the EU define it as a passenger vehicle with not more than 8 passenger seats plus the drivers seat..... same thing

Being such a vehicle it should have had car VRT (Category A) which would have been higher than 13.5% paid on it originally so it shouldn't be subject to further VRT.

However, it will need to go through the Revenue process to be changed to a Motor Caravan on the Certificate of Registration (log book) to keep the Body Type correct and have the Motor Taxation Class changed to qualify for the €102 tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Jandira

Hey guys, I have heard that you need to proof that you also have a car when you want to have a camper -- this seems ridiculous but you never know. So can anyone confirm this?

I also don't know who the instance would be to check for this but then I do not yet understand the Irish bureaucracy yet. I have just moved here and struggling to get my camper re-registered..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Jandira wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have heard that you need to proof that you also have a car when you want to have a camper -- this seems ridiculous but you never know. So can anyone confirm this?

I also don't know who the instance would be to check for this but then I do not yet understand the Irish bureaucracy yet. I have just moved here and struggling to get my camper re-registered..

I didn't know about other companies but with Dolmen that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

*Kol* wrote: »
    I didn't know about other companies but with Dolmen that is the case.

That rule only applies for the special low cost camper insurance, as it assumes the camper is not the main or only vehicle and is therefore subject to less risk.

A few years ago a friend of mine who sold his car/caravan combo and bought a camper which he also used as his day to day transport got the camper policy, from Dolmens I think, but had to pay about €600 as he didn't have a car or other vehicle as their main or daily use transport.
    Failing that it should be insured in the same way as any other vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Jandira wrote: »

I've German friends who have a camper as their sole vehicle, they cycle most places. They get their insurance from Dolomen for about 600 but you will have to make the case. Remember you get all kinds of chancers wanting to get cheap tax and insurance on van....

Take photos, copy all your coucments and send them an email, explain to them you have just moved here and you have a camper.... hopefully they sort you out.

I've German friends who have a camper as their sole vehicle, they cycle most places. They get their insurance from Dolomen for about 600 but you will have to make the case. Remember you get all kinds of chancers wanting to get cheap tax and insurance on van....

Take photos, copy all your coucments and send them an email, explain to them you have just moved here and you have a camper.... hopefully they sort you out.

Or go named driver on a friends car for the year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ianv

Any body know what the situation is with reclassifying an 8 seater PSV mini bus will vrt have to be paid?

The roof height is 1.7m will this be an issue?

davered wrote: »
    How did you fair out converting the mini bus?

ianv wrote: »
    Any body know what the situation is with reclassifying an 8 seater PSV mini bus will vrt have to be paid?

The roof height is 1.7m will this be an issue?

Roof height is no longer an issue as far as I know. If you want a minibus re-classified it will need to be certified by a suitably qualified individual (sqi) though

Thanks Buford

The van has 850k km it was previously a mini bust taxi- I have a lot of mechanical work done on it just have to start the conversion but I am not sure if I will have to pay VRT. If I have to pay vrt it might make the project a non runner. if I ring revenue will the be able to confirm?

As far as I now both DEO centers in Clare can certify the conversion

• Advertisement

ianv wrote: »
    Thanks Buford

The van has 850k km it was previously a mini bust taxi- I have a lot of mechanical work done on it just have to start the conversion but I am not sure if I will have to pay VRT. If I have to pay vrt it might make the project a non runner. if I ring revenue will the be able to confirm?

As far as I now both DEO centers in Clare can certify the conversion

You will need to pay vrt on the van yes, which would be if my memory recalls 13.5% of what they deem to be the omsp of the vehicle. Can't remember how much it was for my van, but a look on donedeal will give you an idea. Mileage is irrelevant

see my earlier post for more details

edit: just re-read my own posts. €665 it cost me

Advertisement