Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen Bike in Dublin

• 10-10-2010 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I had my Rayleigh Elite II bicycle stolen from outside DIT Bolton Street College yesterday afternoon, Saturday 9/10/'10, in broad daylight.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/bikes-and-gear/bikes/hybrid/1231329437177-gfcovme8csbp-500-90-500-70.jpg

*I changed the adjustable handlebar neck to a fixed/rigid one, so it should be easily identifiable.

It was locked INSIDE the bike park area at the King's Inn Street entrance to DIT Bolton Street. There are two security cameras monitoring the area but they managed to cut my heavy lock without ANYONE noticing. Security were absolutely no help, basically saying that there was nothing they could do about it.

Warning to all students and to anyone who locks their bikes city, these thieves don't seem to care who sees them.

If anyone sees the bike on sale or advertised anywhere please get in touch...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I was expecting to see a much flashier looking bike, I thought bikes like that were the ones they dont bother with, probably the disc brakes were a giveaway for them to the expense

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

**** one, sorry to hear that. Really didn't think the bastards could get away with it there. I lock mine in the one with the security guard in the booth most days but I've even heard of them getting robbed there. Check the lad around the corner who sells bikes with a dodgy history. He's just beside Cineworld in what looks like an abandoned lot. Will keep an eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Was warned by a neighbour that bikes in our apartment complex were being nicked even though it is behind a secure gate. He had some $1000 bike nicked. He spoke to Gardai, they said bike crime has spiked massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

my friend had a bike stolen from the exact same spot last year. i dont know what else to say except use the car park bike shelter and buy more/bigger locks. the porters dont seem to give a crap about what goes on as long as it doesnt involve them getting up. i will keep an eye out for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    my friend had a bike stolen from the exact same spot last year. i dont know what else to say except use the car park bike shelter and buy more/bigger locks. the porters dont seem to give a crap about what goes on as long as it doesnt involve them getting up. i will keep an eye out for it though.

Its neigh on 20 years since I went to Bolton St & it was a theivery blackspot then !

Buy yourself a serviceable POS & use it for you college commutes. I'd have thought the SU would have got this message out by now. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

At the start of every new college year in Bolton St. the bike thieves have a bumper month at the bike park area on Kings Inn st. It dies of quickly enough once all the freshers realise whats happening and either get better locks or move their bike to the main car park which offers a little bit more security. I was talking to one of the porters and he said there has been loads stolen already this year. He didn't seem too bothered about it at all and just shrugged his shoulders as if to say 'What can I do about it?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

At the start of every new college year in Bolton St. the bike thieves have a bumper month at the bike park area on Kings Inn st. It dies of quickly enough once all the freshers realise whats happening and either get better locks or move their bike to the main car park which offers a little bit more security. I was talking to one of the porters and he said there has been loads stolen already this year. He didn't seem too bothered about it at all and just shrugged his shoulders as if to say 'What can I do about it?'.

Locks really don't make much of a difference.

I had my brake cables cut & the calipers removed in B.St. The Bike beside mine had the Saddle removed....

If it isn't welded to the bike it'll be nicked & will probably end up in the pop shop opposite the back of the Ilac.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

fishfoodie wrote: »
    Locks really don't make much of a difference

I beg to differ. I'd rather have my saddle, wheels, brakes etc nicked than my whole bike. Sure its not nice but they can just be replaced with inexpensive parts. The only thing that will get through a decent mini ulock is an angle grinder. Using a chain/cable lock on its own is madness, bolt cutters will go straight through most of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Junkies need to get around too :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement