Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Items stolen from Hotel in Ireland - What Rights??

• 28-06-2010 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

Stayed in a hotel in Wexford over the weekend. We rented a small holiday home on the grounds.

Woke up Sunday morning to realise someone had come in during the night and stolen a fairly expensive camera and 2 iPods. Total value about €1700.

We had checked the doors before going to bed but it appears that we did indeed leave a patio door unlocked.

I have travel insurance but because the hotel is less than 100 miles from my house, they don't cover it.

Any idea whether I'm entitled to claim directly from the hotel or their insurer? They don't have any policy on their website relating to this.

Any thoughts? (other than should have locked the bloody door)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Are the items not covered on your home insurance?

As long as the doors/windows are standard and secure then the hotel has no liability.

It's terrible when such things happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 njcoll

Paulw wrote: »
    Are the items not covered on your home insurance?

As long as the doors/windows are standard and secure then the hotel has no liability.

It's terrible when such things happen though.

That's sort of what I thought. Seems reasonable. Need to check home insurance policy when I get home this evening. Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You've admitted liability when you state that you left a patio door unlocked. Unfortunately, the blame lies with you and not the hotel.

Tough break, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

njcoll wrote: »
    Hi,

Stayed in a hotel in Wexford over the weekend. We rented a small holiday home on the grounds.

Woke up Sunday morning to realise someone had come in during the night and stolen a fairly expensive camera and 2 iPods. Total value about €1700.

We had checked the doors before going to bed but it appears that we did indeed leave a patio door unlocked.

I have travel insurance but because the hotel is less than 100 miles from my house, they don't cover it.

Any idea whether I'm entitled to claim directly from the hotel or their insurer? They don't have any policy on their website relating to this.

Any thoughts? (other than should have locked the bloody door)

I would imagine that the first thing the hotel will do is check the CCTV- and see the burglars walk straight through an unlocked door.

Chalk it down to experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You shouldn't have opened your mouth about leaving anything open, anyone could be reading this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You shouldn't have opened your mouth about leaving anything open, anyone could be reading this.
    Why not? So that he can fraudulently hold the hotel responsible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Why not? So that he can fraudulently hold the hotel responsible?

At least he may have had a chance of claiming off his own insurance, he has blown it now. Better in his pocket than in theirs. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

At least he may have had a chance of claiming off his own insurance, he has blown it now. Better in his pocket than in theirs. :p

That would probably be considered a fraudulent claim, which is one of the main reasons our insurance premiums are so high.

So its coming out of everyone's pockets rather than the insurance company's.

There will be no signs of forced entry since the door was left unlocked, it will be quite obvious that something is amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Magenta wrote: »
    There will be no signs of forced entry since the door was left unlocked, it will be quite obvious that something is amiss.

Well that simply isn't true. It is very easy to open some locked doors with no trace....patio doors being one of the easiest.

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    Well that simply isn't true. It is very easy to open some locked doors with no trace....patio doors being one of the easiest.

Either way, the OP is at fault and should not even consider what Run to the Hills seems to have suggested.

Advertisement