Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claim back motor tax for a car thats off the road?

• 27-02-2008 12:10pm
    Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has ever tried to claim back motor tax for a car thats off the road (as opposed to destroyed).

The gasket went in my 1992 E34 one week after I had taxed it :( (it was in the garage getting serviced at the time)

I'm planning on getting it fixed, but it wouldn't be for several months. I have the car back on my driveway, and I see that the Tax Refund Form has a box for "Vehicle Not Used"; are these the same thing? (Or do the local authority mean "Never going to be used again, give us your log book"_

I would be retaxing once it's fixed, just wondering if anyone claimed back successfully for this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

"Vehicle not used" looks fine to me, since it has separate boxes to tick for scrappage/export/theft/owner absence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

AFAIK they work in three month blocks so you won't get the current block back.
    If you think it'll be off the road longer than that, then go for it.
    You can then tax it again when it's fixed.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

stevec wrote: »
    AFAIK they work in three month blocks so you won't get the current block back.

I thought that too, but I found this on Citizens Information (implying you get from 1st of next month -> end of disc back), so it wouldn't be too bad after all
    Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered.

Also means I need to get skates on to have form in before end Feb... thanks guys

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

No joy, apparently the car actually has to be scrapped, declaring it won't be used in a public place isn't enough...:(

Advertisement