Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sweat

• 26-10-2007 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Does anyone remember these guys from the 90s?
    Does anyone know what ever happened to them (other than splitting up)?
    I'd be interested to know if any of them are still in the music industry.
    r011in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I remember seeing them in Kildare Square for the Derby one year. God they were the best thing since sliced bread that hit Kildare Town.

PJ Smith is in LA, he is a friend of a friend and I saw him play a couple of times when I was over there a few years back.

I was actually in his house one evening and he was on the phone to someone and asked me if I was a Def Leppard fan. I said I had been big in to them years previous, I think he was waiting for me to slate them as it was Vivian Campbell that was on speakerphone listening to my reply!

http://www.myspace.com/pjsmithmusic

Dunno about the rest of the band!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭r011ingthunder

Jaysus that was quick!
    Nice one. I attempted to create a "No Sweat" page on Wikipedia but it got shot down as I couldn't give outside refs. There seems to be absolutely nothing on them which is strange as they were fairly big at the time. OK, there is one very didgy looking fanpage somewhere but it is fairly bad and out of date. I seem to remember there being close links with Def Leppard and rumours that they were going to support Bon Jovi in Ireland, but I'm fairly sure that didn't happen. They used to stay in a house in Lispopple near Rolestown & Swords. Oh man talk about a nostalgia trip (I just got their album on cd, I already had the album).
    r011in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I remember them, big for about 9 days in 1987 (or was it later). They were Leps clones AFAICR, the debut single featured a vid of them in the Point Depot and some HGV tour trucks in another version (for MTV USA I think).

Mike.

Sounds about right but I think it was 1990 that they were about (at least that's the release date on their CD). I thought they were actually good. They weren't Lepp clones by any means, they drew from Lepps, Black Crowes & other bands of the day like Bon Jovi and Whitesnake etc (sorry to mention those two in the one sentence!).
    Iirc they were big time partiers and that's what split them in the end. But I'm open to correction on that.
    r011in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

they're debut single was called 'Heart & Soul' which Joe Elliot produced for them (released in may 1989, I think). That single was re-released in 1990 after their debut album hit the shelves.

From what I remember Leppard gave thme a leg up, as did Little Angels who took them out on a UK tour in 1990 (around the time of the poll tax riots!).

I had the album....it wasn't up to much really, I think Keith Olsen produced it. At the time I think I was more interested in the fact that there was an irish rock band trying to make it big but looking back, I didn't like the album at all!

After they split a couple of them were in band with some of the guys from Little Angles, this would have been around 1993 - I can't remember what they were called though...their drummer went on to work with people like Sharon Shannon though.

• Advertisement

Yeah I believe that band was called b.l.o.w. No Sweats album wasn't that bad. Tear down the walls was a good tune as well as one or two others. I would have liked to see where they were going with their music, I think they had great potential. Alas, no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 claremoya

i went to school with the lead singer who was paul quinn from kilcock..love to know what happened him??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`m sure I still have the cd around somewhere.I was in a band around the same time(Kruger) and there were great things expected of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dessie67

claremoya wrote: »
    i went to school with the lead singer who was paul quinn from kilcock..love to know what happened him??

Hows it going. just seen your post about Paul Quinn. I was in a band with him just before he joined no sweat. We were good mates back in the day. Just wondered if you got any feedback about what he is up to these days?

Cheers,
    Des.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

dessie67 wrote: »
    Hows it going. just seen your post about Paul Quinn. I was in a band with him just before he joined no sweat. We were good mates back in the day. Just wondered if you got any feedback about what he is up to these days?

Cheers,
    Des.

i was at a work do in the clarion at liffey valley about a year and a half ago and there was a deadly band playing at it. found out later on it was the lead singer from no sweat that was singing for them. they done a pretty varied mix of stuff but quite a bit of rock stuff(bon jovi/leppard etc.). they were very good iirc. for the life of me i can't think of their name but i'll check in work tomorrow and see if i can get an answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭bookiebasher

paul quinn jesus i was in his class in school...ha ha he hit me a right slap after a football match one night cos he reckoned i didnt pass the ball enough..Is he still in the music business or is he back in a 9 to 5 job??..He had a brother or a cousin that played with kildare..in the 90's

Nice one, might just get to the bottom of the missing Paul Quinn case yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭bookiebasher

where are u from des??

Just sent you a PM there Bookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭dasdog

I remember going to a free gig in the Phoenix Park around 1990 where they played and loads of people (mainly skangers and thrash metal heads) starting ripping up sods of grass/clay and hurling it at 'No Sweat'. Some FM104/RTE type whom I suppose would be considered a 'celebrity' these days came on the stage and asked people stop. Needless to say he got pelted twice as bad as did the band when they came back out - lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

wow i remember that video back in the day.....did leppard pay for it too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

They went to number 1 in the charts here - file under another Irish act that promised much but fell apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clinton36

I also went to school with Paul Quinn and was in his class He is living in kildare now and still writing and singing, he is on my space and i talk to him from time to time

dessie67 wrote: »
    Nice one, might just get to the bottom of the missing Paul Quinn case yet!

Paul is living in Kildare still writing songs and releasing music he is on my space and i chat to him from time to time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

I remember those times too and that band...they were all the rage used to live in Kilcock area myself still pop around there from time to time , many relations there!

anyway i remember that time as a time of bands like them trying to get going, and successful cover acts like Royal Flush coming around now and then to play decent music, ironically at that time I was too dam buisy working in the great outdoors to get any real music down,
    ........now that I'm not a wee lad anymore - am back playing music buiser than ever and rocking hard and its great ahhaha...and these guys sadly have vanished....strange how life goes

eh amigos... ;) ciao'.........Baggio...

• Advertisement

Baggio wrote: »
    I remember those times too and that band...they were all the rage used to live in Kilcock area myself still pop around there from time to time , many relations there!

anyway i remember that time as a time of bands like them trying to get going, and successful cover acts like Royal Flush coming around now and then to play decent music, ironically at that time I was too dam buisy working in the great outdoors to get any real music down,
    ........now that I'm not a wee lad anymore - am back playing music buiser than ever and rocking hard and its great ahhaha...and these guys sadly have vanished....strange how life goes

eh amigos... ;) ciao'.........Baggio...

allright baggio yeah royal flush were good and so were easy feeling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Easy Feeling yehh thats a name I remember alright

does anywhere in Kilcock do live band these days?..would luv to bring one of my acts there and rock it hard!!! ahha a bit of ol' nostalgia for sure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LeonD

just saw on Facebook, group trying to get them to number one for this Christmas
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=151157654920848

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

clinton36 wrote: »
    allright baggio yeah royal flush were good and so were easy feeling

no way! I used to play with Baggio! Top drummer

check em out, didn't think they'd make it there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Sweat_%28band%29

go on the boys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Here you go:http://www.guitarsolos.com/videos-no-sweat-tear-down-the-[IkeP2Zp0XyM].cfm

I still have that album on tape somewhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

it's threads like these that keep me coming here:)

singer had a great voice, band suffered the overproduction of the time though.
    never saw them live but would bet they were good!

Were winters reign before or after them? nowhere near as succesful as no sweat though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Was Louis Walsh their manager?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement