Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wind farms - ugly truths

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Did anyone hear the argument/debate thingy on the mooney show (radio 1 ) last Friday... I doubt it'll change anyone's mind one way or the other but it was interesting...
    There was a survey mentioned about attitudes across the country to wind farm, with cork (with most wind farms) being most positive,and west Meath (with none) being most negative.....
    Now I've no idea who did the survey and how.. How they factored county sizes and population ect,ect.. But thought it interesting....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Markcheese wrote: »
    Did anyone hear the argument/debate thingy on the mooney show (radio 1 ) last Friday... I doubt it'll change anyone's mind one way or the other but it was interesting...
    There was a survey mentioned about attitudes across the country to wind farm, with cork (with most wind farms) being most positive,and west Meath (with none) being most negative.....
    Now I've no idea who did the survey and how.. How they factored county sizes and population ect,ect.. But thought it interesting....

Thing to remember with the survey - imo

Cork - its the biggest county in Ireland - and part of Ireland biggest county - so MANY Cork people are not near enough to a wind farm to form a negative opinion.

Westmeath on the other hand is part of the Midlands were 2,500 turbines are/were proposed for Uk export.

Seen somewhere where one of the wind developers used the Cork vs Westmeath wind farm numbers thing to argue that wind farms don't impact house prices - and to support the point - he argued that Westmeath houses fell further then Cork house prices.

Again point been missed - is that houses in Cork are very often not near wind farms. While Cork has more wind farms then Westmeath - it does seem that a lot of future focus for the Midlands - is on wind turbines - almost to the point where one is left with the impression that the future for the Midlands is turbines - that's the no 1 thing - it seems.

That's helping drive negativity in the Midlands towards turbines - further I think

• Registered Users Posts: 16 windnoiseinfo

Acceptance is based upon amongst other things

1 - greeness
    2 - economic viability and understanding
    3 - proximity to a wind farm

Unfortunately there is now an set of arguments which will address each of the above in both the positive and the negative and a persons view of acceptance will be based on the last article read.

A survey like this needs to probe each of the above and to test both the positive and the negative to get a true and valid set of outcomes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

In Cork most of the wind farms up till now have been constructed in isolated upland areas with little housing for miles in many cases. The governments crazy targets for wind now mean ever bigger turbines are starting to be built in more populated rural areas which is directly related to the growing number of anti-wind campaigns that are now popping up all over the country.
    It doesn't help either that since the start of the year ABP has rubber stamped plans for nearly a dozen major wind farms in various locations against the advice of their own planners. The High court has recently over turned one of these flawed decisions in relation to a windfarm in Roscommon and there is currently another half dozen going through the courts as we speak. Sadly the lessons from the developer led planning disasters of the Celtic Tiger have clearly not been learnt by our so-called planning experts.

Acceptance is based upon amongst other things

1 - greeness
    2 - economic viability and understanding
    3 - proximity to a wind farm

Unfortunately there is now an set of arguments which will address each of the above in both the positive and the negative and a persons view of acceptance will be based on the last article read.

A survey like this needs to probe each of the above and to test both the positive and the negative to get a true and valid set of outcomes

Id add a 4th aspect to the list above - confidence in been able to live and work near the proposed project - and the perceived reality of living near a project.

Imo a key reason why many people object to wind farms near them - is because they feel they are going to have problems with or due to the wind farm been near them.

I think if we are serious about doing things properly with this issue (dealing with it) - we need a new approach.

Rather then the pro wind side going on about nimbyism - or saying residents are wrong because "lots of studies have cleared wind" - instead if wind is to drive forward.

you ENSURE the issues residents are worried about don't actually happen - and you develop a planning system that is fit for purpose and ensures that issues don't occur.

So Infrasounds is a big concern - so you put in place proper measurements, procedures, rules and regulations - so that no APPROVED project that's got planning - will cause infrasound issues.

Needs a lot of work to do it though - but its a way forward I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Old diesel wrote: »
    So Infrasounds is a big concern - so you put in place proper measurements, procedures, rules and regulations - so that no APPROVED project that's got planning - will cause infrasound issues.
    The challenge with Infrasound is there is a view (which has generally been proven) you can not "hear" Infrasound in the normal sense. This is because the wavelength (and thus the vibration) is just too slow for the ear to pick up. Its like a dripping tap - while the water is running - even at a trickle - you can hear the flow - but as it slows further to a drip its a much harder sound to perceive. Infrasound is the same - the ear can not hear it in the normal sense of things.

Where the debate is in reality (but the "infrasound cannot be heard brigade" will not go near) is what impact on the human systems does this very slow frequency have - specifically when experienced over the long term.

Dr Evans of Belfast university has done some work in the space along with Prof Salt in the US

There have been experiments on this "slow drip" infrasound on groups of people but typically only for a very short time (hours) not days or week as experienced from a wind farm. Additionally many vibrations/wave forms set up harmonics (which might then be in the audible range) and its this effect of infrasound which is very poorly understood.

fclauson wrote: »
    The challenge with Infrasound is there is a view (which has generally been proven) you can not "hear" Infrasound in the normal sense. This is because the wavelength (and thus the vibration) is just too slow for the ear to pick up. Its like a dripping tap - while the water is running - even at a trickle - you can hear the flow - but as it slows further to a drip its a much harder sound to perceive. Infrasound is the same - the ear can not hear it in the normal sense of things.

Where the debate is in reality (but the "infrasound cannot be heard brigade" will not go near) is what impact on the human systems does this very slow frequency have - specifically when experienced over the long term.

Dr Evans of Belfast university has done some work in the space along with Prof Salt in the US

There have been experiments on this "slow drip" infrasound on groups of people but typically only for a very short time (hours) not days or week as experienced from a wind farm. Additionally many vibrations/wave forms set up harmonics (which might then be in the audible range) and its this effect of infrasound which is very poorly understood.

I agree its very challenging - but its also a potential health and safety issue - so its hard to see - how one can decide - "nah we aren't going to bother addressing it - too difficult"

The reality is that because the issue is been flagged now - I consider that it needs to be addressed properly - to ensure that we can plan correctly and properly - particularly in terms of planning peoples everyday living.

I think one would start by looking at locations where residents have reported issues* - and identifying whats happening with the wind turbines at those locations - in terms of infrasounds.

To me its about identifying - what level of infrasound is safe and problem free for the resident - ensuring pleasant comfortable living.

Then we identify how best to locate - in terms of setbacks etc - the turbines in a way that ensures problem free living for residents.

Basically - I see it as very challenging - but we need to move to a point of - asking the question - how do we ensure the project is perfectly safe and problem free for residents - and making sure that actually happens.

Or do we go down the road of the state been prepared to buy out residents homes at colossal cost (not saying that's a good idea btw - but to me buying out homes seems to most likely scenario if we don't ensure safe operations)

*their homes or former homes - where they had the issues - been used as test sites for PROPER research - and measurements

I suppose basically - we need to work to ensure we have a solution that works well for residents.

If we are saying its okay to pick out groups of residents around the country - decide their future lives don't matter - then that's BAD policy. So we need to plan for the future of the resident - even if we find that its difficult.

I would personally prefer a solution where we can ensure that projects that are given planning - are in fact safe and problem free for the residents - this should be normal proper procedure.

And we need to have a PROPER plan to address any unforeseen issues - ie - Govt, planners and developers genuinely thought everything was going to be fine - but there are issues with the actual project.

I feel leaving residents in limbo is unacceptable - they need to be able to plan their future living in confidence

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I suppose basically - we need to work to ensure we have a solution that works well for residents.

If we are saying its okay to pick out groups of residents around the country - decide their future lives don't matter - then that's BAD policy. So we need to plan for the future of the resident - even if we find that its difficult.

I would personally prefer a solution where we can ensure that projects that are given planning - are in fact safe and problem free for the residents - this should be normal proper procedure.

And we need to have a PROPER plan to address any unforeseen issues - ie - Govt, planners and developers genuinely thought everything was going to be fine - but there are issues with the actual project.

I feel leaving residents in limbo is unacceptable - they need to be able to plan their future living in confidence
    Very little of the infrastructure and housing built during the boom would have happened if you'd insisted on stuff being problem free for existing residents.

The LUAS upgrades will disrupt the centre of Dublin for ages. Newlands Cross roadworks too.

You are in effect asking for privileges which the majority of the population who live in large urban areas are denied.

Infrasound is not a problem, because people who live near the sea don't suffer from it.

Pylons aren't a health problem because none of the people campaigning against then have asked for compensation or remediation for the urban dwellers who have lived with them for years.

Yes it would be nice if there was a cheaper solution than compulsory purchase of affected buildings at current market value that would make everyone happy. But as someone who already subsidises rural services I don't particularly want to subsidise irrational pseudo-science scaremongering, especially when the subsidies are being denied to urban dwellers who also have infrasound and construction projects foisted upon them. So if there is a more expensive solution than CPO's , I'm not really all that interested given the complete lack of empathy of the rural protesters for the plight of urbanites in similar circumstances.

Yes it would be nice if communities had a share / stake in local wind farms.

And again we got 25% of our electricity last winter from renewables, and it could have been double that if the grid could accept more asynchronous sources.

"Cork - its the biggest county in Ireland - and part of Ireland biggest county - so MANY Cork people are not near enough to a wind farm to form a negative opinion."

Yup Cork county is big... But it's not the sahara , quite a lot of people live in rural cork ,even pretty, touristy west cork ,!!
    But proximity to a wind farm should have been a factor in the survey...
    Incidently , there are a few wind turbines in more urban/commuter belt areas in cork 2 in aghada, and 3 a couple of miles away In ringaskiddy ....
    No big commotion ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Infrasound is not a problem, because people who live near the sea don't suffer from it.
    Wind turbine infrasound - produced at a constant rhythmic rate with amplitude modulation which creates harmonics in higher frequency ranges is very different to that produced by the sea.

Also - against common Infrasound can be heard
    "Single frequencies of infrasound are not perceived as pure tones. Instead they are described as more of a chugging or motorboating sound. This leads one to the conclusion that what a person really hears is not a pure tone of infrasound, but instead the harmonics generated by the distortion from the middle and inner ear"

reference http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a081792.pdf
    Pylons aren't a health problem because none of the people campaigning against then have asked for compensation or remediation for the urban dwellers who have lived with them for years.
    very few 400KVA lines in Dublin I believe
    And again we got 25% of our electricity last winter from renewables, and it could have been double that if the grid could accept more asynchronous sources.
    Thats the challenge - and the grid needs to resolve how to take this asynch supply
    ".....
    But proximity to a wind farm should have been a factor in the survey...
    Incidently , there are a few wind turbines in more urban/commuter belt areas in cork 2 in aghada, and 3 a couple of miles away In ringaskiddy ....
    No big commotion ,
    I would suggest you check the output from these turbines - and see if they are market "green bling" turbines or if they are driven hard to drive a profit turbines

" would suggest you check the output from these turbines - and see if they are market "green bling" turbines or if they are driven hard to drive a profit turbines"

The 3 in ringaskiddy are only operational since late spring , could be "greenwash", but an expensive way to do it ,especially with all the bad pr about turbines... But if you have output figures and reasons why they're an exceptional case , fire
    them up...
    The 2 turbines in aghada are just wind turbines... Not the biggest in the country (even when they went up )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

Very little of the infrastructure and housing built during the boom would have happened if you'd insisted on stuff being problem free for existing residents.

The LUAS upgrades will disrupt the centre of Dublin for ages. Newlands Cross roadworks too.

You are in effect asking for privileges which the majority of the population who live in large urban areas are denied.

There is a large distinction to be made between temporary disruptions and permanent disruptions

Tell that to the Germans
    http://www.umweltbundesamt.de/sites/default/files/medien/378/publikationen/texte_40_2014_machbarkeitsstudie_zu_wirkungen_von_infraschall.pdf

The research findings indicate that these standards have deficits with regards to the assessment of infrasound and should be further developed. The current revision of DIN 45680 shows a path for how inconsistencies in the area of low frequency sounds can be rectified.

All of South Dublin has underground cabling

Makes no difference, they still wont work anyway once connected to the grid
    In terms of consumption perhaps, but not from generation.
    Also,we wouldn’t have electricity at Frequency of 50Hz if we did what you said

Yes it would be nice if there was a cheaper solution than compulsory purchase of affected buildings at current market value that would make everyone happy. But as someone who already subsidises rural services I don't particularly want to subsidise irrational pseudo-science scaremongering, especially when the subsidies are being denied to urban dwellers who also have infrasound and construction projects foisted upon them. So if there is a more expensive solution than CPO's , I'm not really all that interested given the complete lack of empathy of the rural protesters for the plight of urbanites in similar circumstances.

When I meant problem/hassle free for the resident - I mean when the project is up and running.

In terms of the rest of your points - do you see ensuring that a project is problem free for residents when OPERATIONAL (all turbines operating and supplying to grid - commissioning fully done) as a block to wind development.

If wind turbines don't cause issues for the residents - then ensuring that should be very possible.

Btw - when I say problem free - I don't expect life to be perfect - what I mean by problem free - is that residents can ACTUALLY live in their homes comfortably and have a decent quality of life.

if both of those - been able to live in the home comfortably - and a decent quality of life IN THE HOME is an issue for you - why is this - do you not feel that comfortable living in the home and a decent quality of life in the home - is compatible with wind turbines.

What standards should a resident reasonably expect from the wind energy project near their homes. What safety standards should be in place - and do you think its reasonable for a resident to continue to expect to be able to live in their homes - if no buyout scheme is offered by developer and Govt of homes nearby

Btw - all I want to do - is to try and create a future for communities - and the people who live in them - not mess up Dublin.

If your saying that ensuring a future for Rural communities is wrong because it interferes with the building of wind farms - are you then saying the way forward is to wind down rural communities.

And if that is the case - how do we plan the futures of the people in these communities.

The way I look at it - is that people are entitled to be able to plan for their future - with some sort of confidence. This future may be where they are now - or they may end up moving somewhere else.

This is where proper planning is required.

I would prefer (but it may not be possible) to plan the future for communities - in a way that sees the people living in the communities now - been able to continue living there if they WANT TO.

I know you and I have different outlooks on this - I respect the points your making - even if I don't agree with them.

I do think whatever the best way forward is - if we are creating a BETTER future for Ireland - we shouldn't exclude people from it simply because their community is in a bad location - ie a wind farm site.

We need a broad planning strategy - that looks at how to deliver energy - but also looks at how people will live in the future.

The how people will live in the future is the part that's overlooked imo - wider debate needed when simply what we are having here

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BrenCooney

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sotobuild

The most interesting part of the article being

said Melissa Whitfield Aslund, a scientist at the Canadian consulting firm Intrinsik, whose clients include wind energy developers. ..... Whitfield Aslund collaborated with six Intrinsik colleagues to review nearly 60 studies

So not exactly an independent - and obviously does not cover cases which were settled out of court when individuals got paid for silence

To give some balance and the opposing view then read waubrafoundation dot org dot au/resources/wind-turbine-noise-adverse-health-effects-june-2014/
    (as a new user I am not allowed to post proper links)

Waubrafoundation are often accused of be non-wind biased but disregard that element and take the document as a summary of the links to many medics and acousticians who cite their views on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sotobuild

There must be a war going on out there - here is a summary of those 49 cases mentioned by the huffington post

kirbymtn dot blogspot dot ie/2014/08/wind-health-impacts-dismissed-in-court.html?m=1
    (again unable to publish actual link as I am new to boards

In the 49 cases from English-speaking countries that he presents, however, only 2 involve an operating wind energy facility. And in both, the facility was found to be in violation of the law.

3.2 km may be seen as excessive by many - but I think nonetheless - the county manager in Offaly and others driving wind policy - are handling things completely the wrong way

http://www.tullamoretribune.ie/articles/news/41837/drop-wind-turbine-set-back-plan-council-chief/

The questions should be

1) what is a good outcome for residents

2) What safety standards should be applied to wind development.

The 3,2 km setback in the Offaly CDP - whatever flaws one might feel it has was bought in by the councillors - in a bid to give better assurance and comfort to residents.

Now love them or hate them - the reality is that many people in rural communities have no confidence in wind developers or the way planning of wind turbines is done in this country and the standards that apply.

So what is the way forward - and how do we plan the future of residents who might or will be impacted on by having wind developers near their homes.

Now some may feel that the way forward in dealing with rural residents is to say tough luck - but I personally feel the wind industry needs to up its game - and the whole renewables sector in general.

If a resident can live happily with wind turbines nearby - then great - but we need to look at what happens when problems araise because the idea that problems can crop up for residents - with a project - whether its noise or some other issue - and the issue NOT be fixed - we need to move away from the idea that this is acceptable.

To me its simply - pro wind people - and most importantly - wind developers say the wind energy is safe - great - so lets make sure the project is perfectly safe - otherwise the promises are a waste of time

Part of the problem I feel is that the way wind turbines are planned - and the apparent inability to have standards in terms of their operation - leaves residents in limbo - as they don't have confidence in the project - and are concerned they will have issues.

Having standards that prevent problems from happening would help deliver confidence.

If we are saying that ensuring that residents won't experience issues that will interfere with normal everyday living and sleeping in their homes - is wrong because that would interfere with the development of wind energy - then you are justifying the residents lack of confidence

I think we need an understanding from a residents viewpoint on whats reasonable - and they need assurance that they are going to be treated fairly and not have the sort of issues that make living in their home a problem.

Painful as the idea sounds - we must plan how people are going to live in the future - and yes we will have to consider making changes to how we live. However this does need consultation with residents and homeowners - so that we can find solutions that work okay. Its important I think that people can plan their future going forward with some certainty and with as much confidence as possible. A key aspect of this - is that if promises are made - that we DELIVER on those promises - because delivering on promises - will help improve confidence

Are one off houses badly planned - well yes - but the state has to accept that its county councils gave planning for these houses - so its not now good enough to hang residents out to dry - when a normal member of the public should not be expected to know what the proper way to plan houses are. That's why theres planners and other people who are supposed to have these skills and knowledge.

So if we are going to impose changes and impose projects of concern - we need to improve how we plan them - and look at alternative options for how people would live - and indeed how we would look at improving the renewables technology.

Anti wind groups and anyone criticising wind in their local area is seen as the bad boys (nimbyism) - but there comes a point where we may need to consider the idea that the wind developers, wind turbine manufacturers and the renewables industry in general - need to do more to improve their solutions.

• Advertisement

I suppose what I mean on the planning viewpoint - is that if I get planning for a house - its reasonable to assume that theres nothing wrong with its location or other important aspects - as youd expect that planning wouldn't have been granted if there were issues.

The other point about planning - is that if you see other houses the same (one off houses) around the area - and grew up in one - you might think as someone building your own house that theres nothing wrong with a one off house.

Getting planning to build your house as a one off - would tend to reinforce that viewpoint at the time the application was granted.

hindsight is a fine thing

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

"It will ruin everything we've worked for and completely devalue our property"!

"The wind-farm project in Tipperary has created animosity in the community between those who will benefit financially from the wind farm and those who wont"!

That says it all!

https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10647103_620925894689093_7772818874430364441_n.jpg

triple glaze will not keep out the noise - who ever even cited this as a use case for triple glaze obviously has no concept of the types of sound which wind farms produce

In actual fact triple glazing could make the situation worse and leaving the wind open could diminish the impact of the specific tones of a wind turbine

triple glaze will not keep out the noise - who ever even cited this as a use case for triple glaze obviously has no concept of the types of sound which wind farms produce

In actual fact triple glazing could make the situation worse and leaving the wind open could diminish the impact of the specific tones of a wind turbine

I think where the triple glazing is coming form - is this pretence that if you can't hear it in the normal hearing range - its not going to be an issue.

In other words the people saying triple glazing will help - don't actually think infrasound is an issue.

They probably think (a) weighted measurement (dbA) is an acceptable way to measure the impact of noise from wind turbines on homes :rolleyes::mad:.

Even I know that (a) weighted measurements don't measure infrasounds - because (a) weighted measurements only measure the normal hearing range - which completely excludes infrasounds

What's the story with devaluing /increasing property value ? I assume from a planning point of view it's tough ... Wether wind turbine,new road development or anything else...
    I know that councils are trying to "group " one off rural houses, so just cos your in an old isolated cottage doesn't mean you won't be surrounded by 2.5 story mansions looking into your kitchen, ruining your peace and quiet... n fact if a
    windfarm stops future housing development within .5 km it could up value..
    How far are these guys in the article from the turbines... Is it fear of fear that's their problem , Noise'd be my concern

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I think where the triple glazing is coming form - is this pretence that if you can't hear it in the normal hearing range - its not going to be an issue.

In other words the people saying triple glazing will help - don't actually think infrasound is an issue.

They probably think (a) weighted measurement (dbA) is an acceptable way to measure the impact of noise from wind turbines on homes :rolleyes::mad:.

Even I know that (a) weighted measurements don't measure infrasounds - because (a) weighted measurements only measure the normal hearing range - which completely excludes infrasounds

This is interesting showing just how poor structures are at absorbing various frequencies - see how a wall rapidly increases at around 200hz but below this glass and walls are very poor at absorbing sub 200hz

soundcontrol-graph.jpg

This is interesting showing just how poor structures are at absorbing various frequencies - see how a wall rapidly increases at around 200hz but below this glass and walls are very poor at absorbing sub 200hz

soundcontrol-graph.jpg

Interesting :eek: - ive very little knowledge - about infrasounds and related matters - I just know enough about it to know its a problem - and one that needs tackling.

But you get the feeling people who make the planning decisions have no understanding or concept of these issues - or don't care about them.

Change of culture is whats needed - rather then jump up and down and say people critical of wind, anti wind - or concerned about wind - are wrong.

Instead the focus SHOULD be - on how to ensure the issues being raised aren't allowed happen.

Lack of knowledge, correct process, lack of rules and regulations - are all a big barrier to progress in terms of having good energy policy - and good planning - particularly in terms of preventing issues for the people living in the home and in communities

So some time ago I spoke about the need for double spinning reserve because wind is not dispatchable and we know have evidence of this

When the output from the wind estate drops by 200Mw you would think you would get a spike in CO2 quantity and intensity as as backup was brought on line to cover you loss.

Remember a quote from the SEAI:
    Regarding the matter of reserve requirements, the key determining factor is the size of the largest thermal generating unit on the system, and is not affected by wind generation at current levels. This is because the key issue is predictability: for thermal generators an unexpected breakdown can happen at any point, is generally unpredictable and can result in large short term ramping requirements. The largest unit on the system is 480 MW in size with the interconnector being 500MW. These determine the reserve requirements. Wind, on the other hand, is variable but more predictable, and so does not affect the system in the same way.

So if you don't see this then it means you have to draw some conclusions:

1 - if no increase in C02 then the plant used to cover the lost wind loss was already running
    2 - the thermal plant to cover thermal loss (see statement above) could be used but you would have to immediate spin up more thermal in case of a force outage to ensure grid security of supply (but this did not happen so as no more C02 was brought onto the network)
    3 - the pumped storage was used (can be online in seconds and is dispatchable with 0 C02)
    4 - the interconnector was used to pull from the UK and we don't count any C02 created outside the state
    5 - Magic !! (i.e. the numbers are not right)

The reason for this sudden drop could have been a forced outage of a significant part of the wind estate due to high winds (they cut out at around 25m/s)

See the attached PDF and provide you answers as
    1) to why the wind dropped by 200Mw then ramped then dropped again
    2) where did the additional power come from given the 0 C02 impact

the date for all of this was the 18-Oct-2014

The evidence seems to be pointing to a forced outage on the wind side due to frequency instability (wind has to be synched to the rotary sources on the grid and if it goes out of synch you get grid harmonics which will shake the whole grid apart). This is the type of force outage we would see if more wind capacity is added to the network without the frequency sych issues being resolved

But it does not answer the question where the extra capacity came from which generate 0 CO2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So some time ago I spoke about the need for double spinning reserve because wind is not dispatchable and we know have evidence of this

When the output from the wind estate drops by 200Mw you would think you would get a spike in CO2 quantity and intensity as as backup was brought on line to cover you loss.
    Maybe it's magic ?

or maybe there's interconnectors and hydro and pumped storage
    or maybe the energy was stored as pressure in the boilers of the steam turbines
    or maybe the grid is limited to 50% asynch generation and so can't use all the wind available so they have to take some off line

BTW look up the rules for spinning reserve sometime, we'd have needed a lot more than 200MW of spinning reserve to cover the conventional generators and that's before you take into account the inertia and regional rules

Advertisement