Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling between strength and hypertrophy programs

Options
  • 25-07-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

I've been wondering lately about the correlation between size and strength. I know you can train to focus mainly on one but there'll always be some cross over. If the focus is on strength and you do a strength program till you hit a platue, would it be beneficial to switch to a hypertrophy program and then at the end of this switch to a strength program again to make use of your new muscle to reach new heights in strength?

Basically is it more beneficial to cycle between strength and hypertrophy programs rather than focusing on one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Not really but I suppose it depends on what you mean by strength. Are we talking bigger 1RM on the bench/deadlift/press/squat = strength or is being able to do more reps with a lighter weight strength?

It's good to chop and change focus because we're humans who get bored and it's nice to do new things to keep interested. Getting crushed under a weight gets old sometimes so it's nice to walk throught the valley of the pump for a change. But really if you want to lift bigger weights I suggest you try to lift bigger weights most of the time.

There's some basis for your argument with regard to bench pressing and shoulder pressing though, if indeed they are one of the measures of strength you're talking about. Getting your swole on helps for the beach lifts and benching alone doesn't really grow alot of muscle so knock yourself out (don't actually knock yourself out though). Squatting and deadlifting I think you'll find hypertrophy happens whether you like it or not if you are increasing the weights lifted and before you know it "what is wrong with these pants!" will be your go-to phrase when clothes shopping.

Also I don't think anyone is going to go for an "Arm Strength" program unless they really want to detach their bicep so really that part of you is going to be all hypertrophy all the time.

I kinda have a problem with "hypertrophy programs" or "strength programs" when it comes to training with weights. With beginners in particular it's not really Sophie's Choice to perform the best lifts for your buck and get better at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I'm talking about 1RM strength on the 3 big lifts. Why is it that bench and OHP don't give the same kind of hypertrophy reaction to strength training as the deadlift and squat?

What do you mean by your last sentence on beginner programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I'm talking about 1RM strength on the 3 big lifts. Why is it that bench and OHP don't give the same kind of hypertrophy reaction to strength training as the deadlift and squat?

In my opinion its because the Hips love intensity and the scapula loves complexity.

I also believe in cycling training phase between focus on volume and intensity. A volume phase if tied in with nutrition to gain would be a hypertrophy phase but it doesn't have to be.

Think of it like, you want to get lots of practice in your lifts (volume stage) and get the weak point ironed out before trying to go for new maxes.

I'm also a big fan of the conjugate method where you try to bring up several qualities at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

kevpants wrote: »
    There's Squatting and deadlifting I think you'll find hypertrophy happens whether you like it or not if you are increasing the weights lifted and before you know it "what is wrong with these pants!" will be your go-to phrase when clothes shopping.

On a related note I don't suppose inzer or metal make slacks? I'm constantly flirting with splitting my trousers every time I go to pick something up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

On a related note I don't suppose inzer or metal make slacks? I'm constantly flirting with splitting my trousers every time I go to pick something up

Get your slacks so they fit your thighs ignore the waist then get them tailored, will cost about 15

• Advertisement
Advertisement