Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

so skyline is gone, help me find new car!

• 07-05-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So my skyline is gone and i need to move on. I though i knew what i want, when i had no money, but now when i got stuff sorted i dont want anything ffs.. :rolleyes:
    So anyway, i need new car to upgrade from my bangornomics Ford. i will still keep it as an emergency car. it saved me a fantastic amount of money and it has fresh nct too.

well, so here it goes, but it has a few twists:
    budget 7k/8k ( ill explain )
    car has to be fun or luxury, BUT no more super modified stuff with sports coilovers
    car has to have at least basic comfort
    4 seats, no roadsters as i have one already. reasonably practical.
    car can be up to 8k eu if it stays up to 2.0l tax wise.
    car can be up to 5-6k, but tax can be up to 3.0l ( so i can pay tax for a year and a bit, from the budget.
    has to be reasonable mpg, 25mpg is grand.
    i do very small milage. 200 miles per 3 weeks if i go only to work. add good few miles if i decide to go to cork city etc.

so far the i have looked in to this:

astra opc - a great middle ground for me. i love looks, love 240hp, love tax, but i will need to hunt down one for around 7.5k eu. not many of them out there for sale and some of them are still around 10k.

Corsa OPC - love it, same as above. price wise it is very weird. there are one for 7.5k and one for 8.9k on donedeal. i dont know if there is a point checking carzone as it became ad graveyard with cars for sale with 100 days old ads.

Subaru WRX - i always wanted a boxer engine, but if i go for one, it would have to be as standart as possible. no engine mods or scangorizing.

bmw 520/525 ( e60 ) - its a hard one. i like the looks of it, but i have no idea how to live with one. i am really afraid to buy a modern car with more electronics, then nasa computer. if anyone knows anything about them or has one, could their share their experience, running costs mpg etc?

bmw 530d ( e60 ) as above, but it has quite a twist. i could look past 3.0 tax on it, as i could buy one for 5-6k eu and pay tax for 2-3 years, before i break even with 2.0 in the same time, which will be bought 8k eu. in the end of the day it is diesel engine too, so mpg will be better then anything above, but it will have a good kick too, when i need it. biggest problem - reliability. i know jack shiet about them, how reliable turbos and electronic on these.

Volvo s80 (07 new model ) - love the looks and interior. gets huge thumbs up from misses too. 2.0turbo engine wount win any drags, but it will be more then enough for overtaking. luxury with very affordable tax. problem - i dont have a clue about about it as a car to live with. running cots and reliability. anyone know anything? feel free to share your info.

Cars that are big NO NO:

merc e200
    bmw 3 series
    Saab ( misses dislike them )
    volvo s40
    audi a2 a3 a4 a6 a8 TT - insert any audi there.

now i will need your help on this as i am going out of my comfort zone with this next car. i always stayed up to 00' year, as those cars were simple and easy to repair. no stupid electronics. now i have to go up the years, so i am sailing in a very murky waters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Something cheap and cheerful like a 1.4 16v Grande Punto Sporting?

Its not a patch on an OPC but it wont cost anything to run, plently of room,vgood mpg, nice looking.

nah, i just looked in to that. I am not a fiat hater or something, its just not my cup of tea.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

6251929028_87d206e9ef_z.jpg
    2003 BMW 530d Aegean Blue Limited edition by kceire, on Flickr

One of these?

Aegean Blue 530d, only 150 Diesels produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

View2-11531677.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3329998

2003 735i Auto
    Taxed for 3 months, NCT till June 13. 4 new tyres quoted at €1600.
    Engine is a little big at 3.6 but this is a beast. Its got all the toys too.
    Parkers lists MPG at 26!!!

EDIT*** Forgot price. 5950

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

ST or a Euro R?

Jimdagym wrote: »
    View2-11531677.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3329998

2003 735i Auto
    Taxed for 3 months, NCT till June 13. 4 new tyres quoted at €1600.
    Engine is a little big at 3.6 but this is a beast. Its got all the toys too.
    Parkers lists MPG at 26!!!

EDIT*** Forgot price. 5950

nah, it will go way over my tax budget, plus i know those are not most reliable things out there. i prefer e38 over that any day of the week, month, year, decade.

• Advertisement

ST or a Euro R?

ST - only if i get one dirt cheap. i really dont see anything it does better then OPC with my needs. has less HP and bigger CC engine. i want to stay away from all mapping stuff too.

Euro R, those are out of my budget. are you talking about the newer shaped ones k20? I should not have problems with insurance ( 26 with 5ncb ), but Honda word is involved i can already see my insurance company go "aye, but is a rally car! "

Well you mention reliable :D

View2-11217980.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3266288

06 159, 1.9 petrol
    Only 50k miles and a couple of grand left in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Euro R, those are out of my budget. are you talking about the newer shaped ones k20? I should not have problems with insurance ( 26 with 5ncb ), but Honda word is involved i can already see my insurance company go "aye, but is a rally car! "

Yeah, the CL7. I'd say you'd pick one up for 6/7k.They're ridiculously overpriced on donedeal with the majority of sellers living in cuckoo land.I had one before, was only an extra 100 yoyo insurance wise for the year over the vRS I had previously.

Well you mention reliable :D

View2-11217980.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3266288

06 159, 1.9 petrol
    Only 50k miles and a couple of grand left in your pocket.

i really loved them, when they came out, but now any alfa is "meh" to me. Again, i am not an Alfa hater, its just it is not giving me that "fizzy" feeling, that James May gets, between his tummy and testicles.

Yeah, the CL7. I'd say you'd pick one up for 6/7k.They're ridiculously overpriced on donedeal with the majority of sellers living in cuckoo land.I had one before, was only an extra 100 yoyo insurance wise for the year over the vRS I had previously.

if i would see one for around 6k i would not mind to have a look, but not for cuckoo land prices as you said bud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Mazda RX-8! Might just about squeeze 25 mpg :D

Brian wrote: »
    Mazda RX-8! Might just about squeeze 25 mpg :D

nah, feck, mondeo made me lazy prick. i dont do big millage, so warming her up will be a problem.

dont understand me wrong - ITS AWESOME car and a great value if you are looking for sporty car, but feck, ill skip on it. No offence, but average joe on this island who bought these cars knows feck all how to look after them ( even i dont know everything and rx8 thread just made me more confused after ), so 90% of them will be dead.

Full-10629807.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3144644
    06 Legacy estate. 2.5 but claims 35mpg. full suburu service history.
    \\\\\auto, with all the toys.
    7k, but I am sure a deal could be made.

Full-10629807.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3144644
    06 Legacy estate. 2.5 but claims 35mpg. full suburu service history.
    \\\\\auto, with all the toys.
    7k, but I am sure a deal could be made.
    Quite interesting, but misses will see and say: no coffin mobiles. She dislikes estates with a passion.

Don't know much about cars, but I have always liked the Octavia vRS.

This one is €7,700.

Full-11520771.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3328029

Doing as low as 200 miles every 3 weeks a diesel would be lunacy imo, especially a 530.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Doing as low as 200 miles every 3 weeks a diesel would be lunacy imo, especially a 530.

but older diesels, dont have stupid filters, which need long millage?

Don't know much about cars, but I have always liked the Octavia vRS.

This one is €7,700.

Full-11520771.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3328029

i knew VRS would show its head here sooner or later :D.

if all "big boot" stuff outsdie how are they like to live with. definitely someone owns one here? those are 200hp? is it golf gti unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Mazda6 MPS - €4000 + VRT

View2-11416627.jpeg

but older diesels, dont have stupid filters, which need long millage?

Indeed there's no dpf but a diesel will still appreciate being heated up fully for most journeys, if you are travelling 5 ish miles to and from work there isn't much opportunity for that, egr valves etc will still get clogged.

• Advertisement

Mazda6 MPS - €4000 + VRT

View2-11416627.jpeg

i wont be touching any UK car like this. only after it is VRTed and stuff, but you gave me food for thought.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3324535
    Full-11502000.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3292164
    Full-11342419.jpeg

the only downside: its in the other side of the island... so i need to make sure i want it, before i even go to look at it.

Indeed there's no dpf but a diesel will still appreciate being heated up fully for most journeys, if you are travelling 5 ish miles to and from work there isn't much opportunity for that, egr valves etc will still get clogged.

It is 10 miles to go one side, then 10 miles back ( ish ), i give my cars to warm up anyway, as i wake up 4:00 in the morning and i hatesitting in a cold car. i presume that would sort out, the heating up problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The reason to buy a diesel over a petrol is for higher mpg but it needs to be cost effective to justify it. A 3.0 litre petrol car will cost alot less to buy than a similar 3.0 litre diesel model. If you are only driving 200 miles a week it will take you along time to make paying the premium for the diesel model cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

hmmmm ... been in that situation, but with way smaller budget, .. id have look on them - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3022898

It is 10 miles to go one side, then 10 miles back ( ish ), i give my cars to warm up anyway, as i wake up 4:00 in the morning and i hatesitting in a cold car. i presume that would sort out, the heating up problem?

To be honest letting them heat up at idle isn't encouraged, 10 mile spin isn't too short, bit of welly a few times a week wouldn't do a diesel any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭vectra

i knew VRS would show its head here sooner or later :D.

if all "big boot" stuff outsdie how are they like to live with. definitely someone owns one here? those are 200hp? is it golf gti unit?

I can't speak for the petrol version.

But my experience is they are fine to live with.

Big boot :)

200bhp yes > Lots more to be got with a simple map or more with other mods.

Have heard of up to 40mpg on a run driving easy > "Even in 240+ bhp mapped ones"

Based on the Golf gti > Yes.

Main downside I have is road noise but this can be sorted with some simple Sound deadening.

Would I buy another one? 100% yes.. > "Roll on 2013" :pac:

My diesel takes 10 miles to heat up in the winter. It will NOT heat up on tickover.
    To be honest letting them heat up at idle isn't encouraged, 10 mile spin isn't too short, bit of welly a few times a week wouldn't do a diesel any harm.

10 mile spins is too short to heat them

Mar4ix wrote: »
    hmmmm ... been in that situation, but with way smaller budget, .. id have look on them - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3022898

The missus doesnt like estates.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The reason to buy a diesel over a petrol is for higher mpg but it needs to be cost effective to justify it. A 3.0 litre petrol car will cost alot less to buy than a similar 3.0 litre diesel model. If you are only driving 200 miles a week it will take you along time to make paying the premium for the diesel model cost effective.

problem is - there is no 530i out there. i prefer e60 over e39 too.

my bet on 530d was its power and being older diesel, with no problems, that is the plague of any modern diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

Mar4ix wrote: »

man you really have to start reading the op in threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

The missus doesnt like estates.

ooppsss.. missed that, might that would be ok ? http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3324303 .. that type car was on my cards also.

Advertisement