Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PiP Implants support thread - Irish petition in post #1

• 21-12-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kyra123 wrote: »
    Hi girls,

Have just gotten word that if we can get some serious numbers on this petition we can get some media coverage and high light this issue with support.

Please get this on face book, twitter, ask family, friends, boyfriends, husband to sign,

Your name can be hidden from public vew, you will be asked to give an e mail address just so they can check your not spam, your address with also be hidden from public vew and the e mail is a once off, your address will not go to a third party as long as you tick the box.

I am trying to drum up media attention to this so please help any way you can. I have a widgit if any one would like to put it on their blog, this would be a direct link to the petition.

Please sign if you can
    the link is as

PiP Petition - Ireland

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16134505
    Health experts insist there is no evidence that British women with silicone breast implants made by a French company need to have them removed.

Medical authorities in France are expected to tell 30,000 women with a certain type of breast implant to have them taken out.
    "The message here is not to panic," he said.

"The advice is unchanged. Women with PIP implants should be checked by the clinic where they had their surgery and can then be monitored afterwards.

"These implants have a higher failure rate so there will be women who might choose to have their implants removed before that happens, whereas others will be happy to be monitored."

So, don't panic, but have the implants checked out if the implants were made by a French company called "PIP".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

I could never voluntarily go under the knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

If someone has a good enough reason that is one thing, i.e someone getting a nose job for psychological reasons, removing excess skin.

But I am skeptical of these procedures that are driven by the beauty industry, as long as they're not natural looking fair play I just feel so bad for these women having to go under the knife again, nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Saa,

Not all that is done is driven by the beauty industry, a lot can be a self concious issue after truama / illness.

I would suspect a lot of breast implant surgeries are a result of having Cancer and wanting to return themselves to their shape.

I know of a few women personally who have done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hrm. To the invisible poster, maybe get a doctor to check it out. I wouldn't know where to go that will have the corrects machines to do a scan, but maybe the ladies here may know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Saa,

Not all that is done is driven by the beauty industry, a lot can be a self concious issue after truama / illness.

I would suspect a lot of breast implant surgeries are a result of having Cancer and wanting to return themselves to their shape.

I know of a few women personally who have done this.

That's what I was saying the reason for getting an op (like I mentioned psychological reasons or removing excess skin as in restoring to previous shape that goes for breast surgeries as well jeeze) is important some are not done for those reasons and that worries me greatly even though a woman can do what ever she wants with her body I am suspicious of the push from the beauty industry there is an agenda there and this permeates into many areas of surgery and procedures.

I know people who have has had this procedure because of suffering from cancer and for other reasons that are less serious but not motivated by striving for perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I just saw on the news that the 30000 French women with the implants are being given the option of having them removed at tax-payer's expense.

Would you be happy if the Irish health services gave the 1500 Irish women that option?

I, for one, would object. Why should my tax money go to pay for someone's elective surgery? Surely they were made aware of the risks when they went under the knife?.

The only exception I would make would be for women who've had reconstructed breasts after mastectomies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A product recall should put the cost burden on the manufacturer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I just saw on the news that the 30000 French women with the implants are being given the option of having them removed at tax-payer's expense.

Would you be happy if the Irish health services gave the 1500 Irish women that option?

I, for one, would object. Why should my tax money go to pay for someone's elective surgery? Surely they were made aware of the risks when they went under the knife?.

The only exception I would make would be for women who've had reconstructed breasts after mastectomies.

I would, yes, if it was the HSE that passed them as medically safe in the first place. From what I've gathered, the French government approved these implants, so they definitely bear a responsibilty towards the 30'000+ women who are affected. I'm sure they were made aware of the potential risks of surgery, but were they told that the material used was inferior, and not medically safe? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jeano8

I have these pip implants and i am terrified i had the surgery in 2007 for psycholigical reasons for confidence as i didnt feel like a real woman and i have never looked bak it really help me but i paid €6000 for this and the compny i went with were great but now when we really need them they are not there for us this has really put a dampner on xmas fir our family im so worried and now i bet we will not b looked after i just want them taken out now

• Advertisement

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1223/breaking4.html

The Irish Medical Board (IMB) is not really alarmed about the news;
    In a statement issued this afternoon, the IMB said it noted the findings of the French expert committee confirming that there is “no evidence" of an increased risk of cancer for women with PIP breast implants compared to women with other breast implants.

FYI;
    The implants were used at the following clinics and hospitals: Shandon Street Hospital in Cork, Clane Hospital in Co Kildare and Harley Medical Clinic in Dublin.

The article notes that 300,000 to 400,000 women throughout the world (such as Italy, Spain, Venezuela, Brazil and elsewhere) used the PIP implants. As nothing has been reported by now, I'd say it'd be likely that they should be safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sunshine76

jeano8 wrote: »
    I have these pip implants and i am terrified i had the surgery in 2007 for psycholigical reasons for confidence as i didnt feel like a real woman and i have never looked bak it really help me but i paid €6000 for this and the compny i went with were great but now when we really need them they are not there for us this has really put a dampner on xmas fir our family im so worried and now i bet we will not b looked after i just want them taken out now
    Hi Jean08,

I think I have the same type of implants and I cannot get in touch with the clinic....did you the operation done in cork? I am getting worried too but I think the best thing to do now is to get an ultrasound scan to make sure that implants are still in good conditions and then get checked every six months...if you decide to get them removed I think it is our right to be able to contact the original hospital...mine was done in shandon clinic but I dont understand whether they have closed down or what...at least the harley medical group have posted a reassuring message on their web site..this shandon clinic seemed to have disappeared...

sunshine76 wrote: »
    Hi Jean08,

I think I have the same type of implants and I cannot get in touch with the clinic....did you the operation done in cork? I am getting worried too but I think the best thing to do now is to get an ultrasound scan to make sure that implants are still in good conditions and then get checked every six months...if you decide to get them removed I think it is our right to be able to contact the original hospital...mine was done in shandon clinic but I dont understand whether they have closed down or what...at least the harley medical group have posted a reassuring message on their web site..this shandon clinic seemed to have disappeared...

I had my operation in clane hospital and hav been in touch with the company ajd am awaiting reply so i will contact them again on tuesday i hav also contactd a solicitor amd will be pursuing this matter i dont see why we should hav paid such a large amount of money to have been given unsafe and low grade implants and then ignored by the people in question its just ridiculous we do have rights even if we got this procedure for cosmetic reasons or any other reason we are still human beings and just because we had a surgery to help us or for any other reason we should be able to hold someone accountable.

Just out of intrest, what do you expect to gain by using a solicitor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

ted1 wrote: »
    A product recall should put the cost burden on the manufacturer

The problem here in France is, that the manufacturer is no longer trading. So they would not be able to take the cost burden in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Poppygal

I just got the all clear today from the clinic I attended in 2007. What a relief.

As for judgemental women commenting and casting aspersions on women having this procedure done, walk in my shoes before damning us all as shallow people striving for perfection....not everything in life is so black and white, IMO.

Just out of intrest, what do you expect to gain by using a solicitor?
    I expect to be dealt with and have these toxic implants removed not ignored and swept under the carpet the way we are being made feel right now

we should be able to hold someone accountable.
    Since that someone has gone out of business, I wonder who it'll be?

the_syco wrote: »
    we should be able to hold someone accountable.
    Since that someone has gone out of business, I wonder who it'll be?
    The private company that all of us women paid such a large amount to have this proceedure done with and who made so much money off us as it has now come to light that these pip implants were deemd unsafe up to 5 years ago and also consumer rights are saying that they should be held accountable as they must stand by their product or service in line with consumer rights and also healthcare professionals are saying that these private organisations hav a moral and legal obligation to the women that they operated on

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i cant understand those who have no sympathy with those who had the PIP implants.
    Surely this is not about why, but more about the infeior quality of and danger now these women are exposed to.
    No one got them for free, no one is looking for the taxpayer to pay, we ae just looking for a potentially faulty product to be either repaced or some assurance that we will be looked after if a problem occurs.

What ever your view on cosmetic procedures, a medical service/procedure should come with the highest assurances..If the Private Clinics fail to do this, then they should not be in business.....

• Advertisement

I was just curious as to why someone would go straight down the legal route as oppose to getting a reply from the the hospital.

some of the articles have people looking for compensation, and are viewing it as nicer earner.

If there is a problem it should be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Is there any specific reason why people who have been given implants now declared unsafe shouldn't pursue the legal route - hospital answer or no? I've never understood the resentment or apparent begrudgery towards those who pursue their legal rights in cases of medical negligence...there is absolutely no reason why those affected, who have had to take the time and disruption to undergo two GA's and all associated risks, never mind whatever risks associated with the implants themselves should consider themselves satisfied with a letter of explanation/apology as to why they were told the implants were perfectly safe - and surely it IS addressing the issue in a manner that any hospital, health service or organisation is going to have to pay attention to. :confused:

My opinion on this is the same as it would be for any other faulty product. If it is determined that a woman has these implants they should be replaced, end of story.

Karsini, men have them too to replace testicles lost to cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    I'm guessing it will be old Bill Taxpayer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Surely there is all manner of dodgy and sub-standard products produced every day - but if such a product is given the all clear as safe to use by the relevant professional body designated to ensure such dodgy and sub-standard products do not get the official stamp of approval, then I presume whatever body that didn't do their homework properly is going to be held responsible...?

Karsini, men have them too to replace testicles lost to cancer.
    You learn something new every day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lickle mushroom

Hi,

I found out today that I am one of the 1500 women in Ireland that have PIP implants. When I first heard of the scare I tried to contact Shandon Street Hospital in Cork(the clinic that I attended) - only to find that they had gone into liquidation in March 2011. My fears were confirmed today when a friend heard a radio interview naming the hospital as one of the 3 in Ireland that had been using the PIP implant.

I intend to talk to my GP tomorrow to schedule an exam to determine if my implants are still intact but after that I don't know what I can do.

My breast augmentation in 2005 was a major undertaking for me, both personally and financially. At that time in my life I had a very poor body image and low self esteem and I believed that breast augmentation would solve everything. I saved up for a very long time to be able to afford the operation but felt it was worth it. Although it didn't solve 'everything' it did help with my body issues and confidence in myself.

I'm now left wondering how the hell I will be able to afford to pay for surgery to replace the defective implants. I am also wondering why the hell I should have to pay for them seeing as they were a faulty product! Would consumer rights still apply in this situation (repair/replace/refund)? As the company is now in liquidation is there anywhere else I can turn? Incidentally, I tried the HSE website to see what their advice would be and I uncovered NOTHING on the issue!

If there are any of the other 1500 women here on boards it would be great to make contact and share information. Or if anyone else can offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

LM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement