Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What currently the best Android phone?

• 19-07-2011 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

My phone contract is up in the next few months and I've decided to go for an Android phone. I'm not sure which phone to choose, so I've come here looking for opinions on the best Android phone currently available. I know "best" is a subjective term, but I'd like to hear all opinions on this.

Btw, I currently have an iPhone4 ... I'd like something equally (if not more) powerful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Samsung Galaxy S 2. More powerful and flexible than iPhone 4 by a long way, but not quite as polished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kekkojoker90

lg optimus 3d or samsung galaxy s2 depends what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Hi guys, TechMaster here. I'd have to say the Galaxy Tab. Its a 7inch and it has 3G. but, if you are looking for something a bit smaller, Galaxy S or Galaxy S 2 is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Galaxy S II is the best Android device out there at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Techmaster wrote: »
    Hi guys, TechMaster here. I'd have to say the Galaxy Tab. Its a 7inch and it has 3G. but, if you are looking for something a bit smaller, Galaxy S or Galaxy S 2 is the way to go.

Wow, techmaster you're so smart, what would we do without you! !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭osullic

KTRIC wrote: »
    Wow, techmaster you're so smart, what would we do without you! !!
    mega lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You heard it here first: A tablet is the best phone. Ignore the haters that will laugh at you when holding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The HTC Incredible S is also worth comparing the Samsung Galaxy S2 to. Personally, I would take a HTC device over a Samsung one, like has been said, I prefer a phone to have that bit of an extra polish over having a few hardware features that I'll never use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭cancercowboy

I wouldn't recommend the Samsung Galaxy Europa GT-I5500. I bought one on the promise from the salesman that it would soon have an upgrade to Android 2.2 (Froyo ). That was February. Currently I am stuck on Android 2.1 (Eclair)

In my experience you want a phone that comes with Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) or at the very least Android 2.2 (Froyo).

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) should be released later this year so expect phones to come out with it just before Christmas.

All in all my Android experience has been a negative one. Android 2.1 on my phone has been pretty dodgy. It drops calls, the touch screen doesn't always work right. I think the fundamental flaw with Android devices is the mass fragmentation... you can't just download and update your phone with the latest version of the operating system from Google like you can with an Apple iPhone. You have to wait for your manufacturer to update the phone (which they never really do because they just rather sell you a new model) and then your provider in some cases has to rubber stamp it as well.

I had an Android Tablet as well, a "TouchPad II" I got from Maplin. It ran 2.1 as well. I found out later that Android 2.1 was even intended to run on tablets.

All in all I found the Apps available on Android not to be that great. The good ones you can get for your iPhone anyway.

I moved to an iPhone 4 and an iPad, they work together and share apps, calender events, and contacts over blue tooth automatically.

Anyway, best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Unfortunately no matter what phone you get you are relying on the manufacturer keeping up support. Eventually they drop old models as they don't have the resources to update them all, or the phones hardware is too slow and wouldn't be able to run the new updates.

Then you have added complication that mobile providers mess with the phones adding their own crude, which they then have to update when they get the OEM update from the manufacture. Again its hit and miss if the operator does your phone, or takes ages to do, or indeed ever does it. For example my Nokia E71 O2 never updated it ever.

If you unlock and debrand your phone at least you can bypass waiting for the providers updates, and some phones don't have any manufacturer cutomisation and are just generic so you'll be able to update them easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I wouldn't recommend the Samsung Galaxy Europa GT-I5500. I bought one on the promise from the salesman that it would soon have an upgrade to Android 2.2 (Froyo ). That was February. Currently I am stuck on Android 2.1 (Eclair)

In my experience you want a phone that comes with Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) or at the very least Android 2.2 (Froyo).

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) should be released later this year so expect phones to come out with it just before Christmas.

All in all my Android experience has been a negative one. Android 2.1 on my phone has been pretty dodgy. It drops calls, the touch screen doesn't always work right. I think the fundamental flaw with Android devices is the mass fragmentation... you can't just download and update your phone with the latest version of the operating system from Google like you can with an Apple iPhone. You have to wait for your manufacturer to update the phone (which they never really do because they just rather sell you a new model) and then your provider in some cases has to rubber stamp it as well.

I had an Android Tablet as well, a "TouchPad II" I got from Maplin. It ran 2.1 as well. I found out later that Android 2.1 was even intended to run on tablets.

All in all I found the Apps available on Android not to be that great. The good ones you can get for your iPhone anyway.

I moved to an iPhone 4 and an iPad, they work together and share apps, calender events, and contacts over blue tooth automatically.

Anyway, best of luck.

That europa is a cheapo old android, do not compare it to the good ones. Your point about apple is complete rubbish, they do not offer support for the older iphones. "Fragmentation" is complete nonsense, of course old phones don't have the power to run the latest features!

You can hack old iphones to run the latest ios (not officially). And just the same you can hack old androids to run the latest, again not officially.

So, you are comparing an old low-end android model (galaxy europa) to the iphone4. Fail. Compare a high-end android to iphone4 and the iphone looks like garbage. But haters gonna hate I suppose.

If you have a Nexus S or Nexus One you CAN download the latest update straight from Google btw. With Samsung branded phones you are reliant on Samsung tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 metalmessiah88

The HTC Incredible S is also worth comparing the Samsung Galaxy S2 to. Personally, I would take a HTC device over a Samsung one, like has been said, I prefer a phone to have that bit of an extra polish over having a few hardware features that I'll never use.

Would you not just get a HTC sensation ? newer than the incredible and better spec

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭cancercowboy

srsly78 wrote: »
    That europa is a cheapo old android, do not compare it to the good ones. Your point about apple is complete rubbish, they do not offer support for the older iphones. "Fragmentation" is complete nonsense, of course old phones don't have the power to run the latest features!

You can hack old iphones to run the latest ios (not officially). And just the same you can hack old androids to run the latest, again not officially.

So, you are comparing an old low-end android model (galaxy europa) to the iphone4. Fail. Compare a high-end android to iphone4 and the iphone looks like garbage. But haters gonna hate I suppose.

If you have a Nexus S or Nexus One you CAN download the latest update straight from Google btw. With Samsung branded phones you are reliant on Samsung tho.

How old are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What does that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I had the HTC Desire and the Desire HD.

I went in to buy a HTC Sensation but left the shop with a Samsung Galaxy S2 instead after trying them both out.

I thought the HTC Sensation looked really cheap and was pretty heavy, the S2 was really light and just looked and performed so much better.

I always loved HTC but after getting the S2 I can't see myself ever going back to them.

Advertisement