Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you could have told your future self something, what would it be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Don't ever smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I would go back to when I was 18 and tell myself to start looking after my body then rather than waiting until it got out of hand and impossible to control (or so it seems).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Realise that you get bored quickly and that the high performance that you exhibit early on will taper off unless you up the work level. That and don't get fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

I would tell my 16 year old self:

- you're not ugly, at all! But when you talk about the way you look, you're boring.

- Forgive your cousin, she's messed up at the moment.

- College isn't going to work out the way you want it to, but do it anyway.

- It's ok to be shy and reserved. You're not weird, you're you.

- People like you, accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I'd tell my teenage self:

-don't worry about the past, its not relevant to who you are now. Ye'll be friends some day :)
    -dont eat all that crap, it WILL start to catch up with you, just like mom said :pac:
    -dont ever be afraid to tell people where to go, nobody has the right to make you feel uncomfortable!
    -no, your boobs aren't going to get any bigger but who cares, you've got great legs :D
    -just because someone has had a hard life doesn't make it ok for them to be a jerk to you.
    -mom loves you, she doesn't mean to be so hurtful, she just doesn't think before she speaks.
    -chin up blondey, that 'flaw' isn't a flaw at all, its what makes you you!

Wonder if I'll have anything to say to my 21 year old self in ten years time :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jellygems

the only person whos opinion matters is your own :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ragdoll91

This is a really lovely thread :)

To my 15 year old self:
    No, you don't have a perfect body. And all the dieting and exercising in the world isn't going to change that. But in a few years you'll look in the mirror and be genuinely happy with what you see.

Your brother will be one of your best friends. Crazy I know, but you have more in common than you realise and he's really great.

You, E and S won't actually be best friends for ever. E will suddenly decide she doesn't want to be part of your life and it will break your heart, and you and S will simply grow apart. So start making other friends now, it's hard to suddenly be alone.

In contradiction, don't panic too much about not having good school friends. Keep studying hard because when you get the points it's worth it and when you go to college you will meet the most amazing people who will make you become a better version of yourself and love you for you. Really I promise!

Don't stress about not having a boyfriend. Don't be afraid to have fun, you have time to be sensible later. Don't kiss too many boys in coppers, and DON'T kiss the boy who lives next door to the girl you're going home with....mistake! On the other hand, don't be afraid to kiss that friend who's too shy to make the first move, it'll be worth it!

And finally, ignore the rules. Don't worry about what you 'should' do. Text him first, stay up all night before a 9am lecture, cry to anyone (you'll be surprised how many people will be there to wipe up the tears), put yourself forward - you are so much more confident than you realise, and no one is judging you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

You're 12 years old.
    You are about to have a wonderful opportunity to learn French, science, art, be taught about history and generally have a lot of fun and make wonderful friends.
    Please do not spend five years sulking about having to go to school, hating it and not learning anything useful.
    Don't wish away your school time. You have summers off and no bills to pay or rent to worry about.
    And really enjoy that summer when we had a heat wave and almost three months of constant sun. It will not happen again for a LONG TIME.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lolita60

To My 16 year old self:

-Go to your lectures, there's more to College life than Partying!!
    -If he cheated with you, he'll cheat on you!!
    -Listen to Mom... She's ALWAYS right!!
    -Don't go to Rome!
    -Don't Move in with him, neither of ye really want to anyway!!:rolleyes:
    -Save!!!!
    -Dont put up with the lies
    -Dont be so stubborn!!!!
    -Cherish the memories!!
    -Make the Coffee without complaining!!!!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Chin up! You won't always be the ugly duckling who's too shy to look anyone in the eye. Some day very soon you will blossom and all those people who overlooked you will look twice;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Hang in there, once you finish school life will be pretty good!

Try not to be so upset at your first major breakup, you'll meet someone more suited to you and things will be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

To 17 year old me,
    • Once you dump them, don't take them back
    • Go on, ask him out....you'll only find out that he was crazy about you 5 years too late
    • Don't buy the apartment with someone else
    • Pick the other option on the job form
    • Spend more time with your Dad
    • Despite all the above, things will work out pretty well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

To me pre-13:
    • He will come back eventually, so get up off the staircase and stop looking at the door waiting for him to come for your birthday. Today is not that day.

13-15
    • Don't beat yourself up
    • Don't worry about people not liking you, you're awesome!
    • It was not your fault he left
    • It's not your fault he came back
    • Your Mother loves you, no matter what you decide

Me 15-18
    • Don't start smoking
    • You will get a boyfriend (well he'll be 29 so manfriend)
    • Your friends are not all having sex, trust me
    • You will get through this
    • Punishing yourself for the things that happened before you are born is unhealthy
    • You did not ruin your Mother's life, stop thinking it.

Me 18+
    • You will get your leaving cert
    • You will get your BA
    • You will get your Masters
    • You're going to meet two of the best friends you'll ever have in college, one will encourage you to lie on the floor covered in chocolate wrappers to it looks to your roommate that you have had an overdose, the other will pretend to be sensible but make you do it anyway
    • M will get sick, so for gods sake look after her while you can
    • You cannot prevent bad things happening to good people
    • You will fall in love
    • You will try and drive him away
    • He won't go
    • You will be happy, eventually
    • Love yourself, so many other people do

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Smashhits

At 17

Take that opportunity to travel and work abroad, it' not your responsibility to be there for everyone else.

Don't start smoking.

Keep singing it's the only true thing you love and get pleasure from. You will miss it in the future.

Go to college.

At 19

Be careful of that tall dark handsome guy you'll meet, he'll break your heart. Have fun but don't get too serious too soon!!

At 35

Be prepared for the worst 2 years of your life, it's hard and you'll hurt so bad but you will get through it and be stronger for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pinkhop

• Stop being shy and enter those gymnastic comps
    • Do not bottle things up
    • RESPECT yourself
    • Wear your retainer.. Pleeeease!
    • Finish that conversation with your friend. You wont wonder if you could have saved his life then.
    • Do not get involved and fall in love with him.. he will never leave her

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Id go back to 12 and say

. Stay swimming you love it so much and your future self would be so much skinnier if you do!

. Dont treat your first love like an Idiot he really wasn't and even 7 years after you split you'll regret it.

. Decide you want to be a teacher early and go to college straight out of school, That gap year you plan will become an 11 year waste of your life.

. Travel before your 23

. Your friends are like your sisters and still will be in 16 years time, support them, love them, the **** will hit the fan for you all but hold tight.

. Your mother is RIGHT go to the doc about it and it will all work out.

Ahhh if only i really could send this back to my twelve year old self :(

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

pinkhop wrote: »
    Wear your retainer.. Pleeeease!

Oh God, me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Summer 2001- Just ring them or text them and meet up, this is not going to work.
    You will make friends in college, and male friends, yes really!!
    you are not over weight at all- seriously! just be positive about yourself.
    Do the course you want, you'll make some amazing friends for life.

At 16, can't do much to an adult to help them but Ring and text C as often as you can, tell him he's great, because he wont be around for long unfortunatley.
    Thank Mr. R for all his help because he is reason you will be happy next august.
    Study hard especially irish so no repeats required for future future course.

Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Your boobs are big, get over it
    Who cares if your curvy, your awesome!
    Your self-worth is not about your boyfriend but you
    You are uber-smart-alic... Congrats!
    Moisturise and use SPF you fool!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

• Wear your retainer.. Pleeeease!
    Oh God, me too!

Me three :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

When it ends the first time, don't go back. Save yourself the heartache.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 silverdolphin

My child self:
    • Participate in sports such as football; basketball; karate and gymnastics, they will prevent you from becoming socially awkward and misanthropic.
    • Concentrate on work in school, especially Maths. Don't mind your mother and sister if they make you feel bad about the subject, they don't know what you're capable of. If the subject is hard, don't be afraid to admit it to the teacher.
    • Learn music instruments such as the piano and the guitar. It's imperative that you start early in childhood, you might want to become a musician when you grow up as you love listening to songs.
    • Sing in public, some people may think you have a great voice.
    My teenage self:
    • Read more books and newspapers.
    • You're not as smart as you think.
    • Don't choose journalism, choosing an Arts degree does not always mean that you have limited career prospects.
    • Seek counselling immediately, you're too anti-social and you need help.
    • Stop being lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

The following are the winning lotto numbers for tomorrow nights' draw...........................:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

love this!
    • look after your teeth and skin
    • dont worry about boys - it'll happen
    • never put a boy before a friend
    • study!!!!
    • save - even a little bit
    • take risks and put a lot of thought into what you want to do
    • REALLY think before you open your gob
    • learn to drive asap
    • travel, travel, travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Mine would be:

Make the most of your college years
    Don't walk out of your very first job (at least hand in your notice!)
    Open up a savings account before the age of 19 and save like mad!
    Don't give your number to that eejit at 30STM concert
    Take the job at IT Tallaght (even if they were clutching at straws)
    "The one" is closer than you think, i.e., sitting in front of you in Irish!
    Enjoy your first trip to New York more
    Take care of your teeth, especially the loose one which is about to come out
    You ARE smart
    Really live!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

study art instead of social studies, you will see more 2:1's the "pass by compensations"
    when you win a big blob of money, don't think your great by giving most of it away, go on a really good holiday.
    that guy your mad into is a gobsh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭MsHolloway

It would really be just one thing:

For the love of God, please please please Do NOT sweat the small stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fiona

[*]Do not get involved and fall in love with him.. he will never leave her
    [/LIST]

+1 :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

To my 12 year old self:
    Ben and Jerry's ice cream will not make you happy. Put down the spoon, back away from the frozen food isle and get on a ****ing treadmill, you chubby ****er.

Advertisement