Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I've read some mind numbingly stupid bile on this thread, but this post has to take the biscuit!

I hate to break it to you, especially seeing as you seem so happy in la la land up in that ivory tower of yours, looking down on everyone else, but life isn't always perfect. People aren't always perfect. Sh!t happens, even to the people who weren't expecting it or didn't ask for it. Even the best laid plans can go awry.

The obviously massive disdain you have for single parents is tainting your logic completely. I can only hope you are either extremely young or extremely sheltered, because some of the ludicrous assumptions you have posted on here just smack of pure naivety at best and utter ignorance at worst.

hondasam wrote: »
    I know what it's like to be a single mother and the state did not need to provide for my children, I did that myself.

You seem to think all single mothers rely on welfare, Newsflash THEY DONT.

stop using those stupid smiley's, your posts come across as childish and trollish.

Let's not get all hormonal here like 16 year old pregnant girls, At least I know how to use contraception and consider the life the child will have before bringing it in to the world.:p

Posters hear make me laugh

16 year old pregnant, hoping through 2/3 different schools..no problem, lets all bow to her needs, perfectly fine in this day and age, ignorance about how to avoid unwanted pregnancy is perfectly acceptable and widespread

1 school in the country doesn't want to take her in as it is against their ethos...well lets force the school to change their ethos and demand they let her in because she wants to go there

It's all the schools fault, where is her parents responsibility in this?

State is providing her with an education, if it's not the type of education her parents, are satisfied with, they should hire a tutor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

prinz wrote: »
    Are you trying to equate workplaces with schools? It's been a few years since I was in school but I distinctly remember people running through the corridors, pushing others out of the way on stairs, lads wresting and horseplaying in the class room, books etc being thrown around but hey if that's the kind of workplace you work in good for you.

Eh, pregnant teachers anyone?
    I recall teachers in my school being pregnant so i don't see why it would be a health and safety issue for a student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

micropig wrote: »
    Let's not get ........... should hire a tutor

Glad to see you're taking this seriously.

Did it occur to you that in the catchment area of this school that (a) there may well be a pregnant teenager/single mother who wishes to attend that place in the future and that (b) this has occurred before but the persons involved didn't want to take it further?
    State is providing her with an education,

It was - via the enlightened head of the school - refusing to do so. It always helps if you try to read whats going on before commenting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I've read some mind numbingly stupid bile on this thread, but this post has to take the biscuit!

I hate to break it to you, especially seeing as you seem so happy in la la land up in that ivory tower of yours, looking down on everyone else, but life isn't always perfect. People aren't always perfect. Sh!t happens, even to the people who weren't expecting it or didn't ask for it. Even the best laid plans can go awry.

The obviously massive disdain you have for single parents is tainting your logic completely. I can only hope you are either extremely young or extremely sheltered, because some of the ludicrous assumptions you have posted on here just smack of pure naivety at best and utter ignorance at worst.

Thats my favourite read post of the day, right there above!
    Well said dark crystal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

She should have said it was an immaculate conception, and her child was the second coming of jesus christ!
    Well, if the work of fiction they read from every sunday is to be believed, it happened before, it can happen again! :D

• Advertisement

Are you trying to equate workplaces with schools? It's been a few years since I was in school but I distinctly remember people running through the corridors, pushing others out of the way on stairs, lads wresting and horseplaying in the class room, books etc being thrown around but hey if that's the kind of workplace you work in good for you.

Pathetic.

The fact of the matter is that pregnancy is no barrier to being active to a degree well compatible with being present on school grounds. The question is why you felt the need to come up with an entirely irrelevant argument to defend the undefendable.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Yeah because being a single teenage mother is easy.

We have no idea why this girl is looking for her third secondary school or how she got pregnant. She could be a career scumbag or a victim of bullying and abuse. As far as i am concerned the Ombudsman was very wrong to go public with this case and only a few facts.

The school might have a very good reason for not wanting the girl in the school and may only be using the pregnancy as justification because there are no other grounds for exclusion which apply. On the other hand the girl could be a real victim and the last thing she needs is the whole country looking at her.

Neither school nor victim are named.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

I really don't think a school Principal that counts having a BOM and admissions policy as
    'frills'
    can be taken seriously.

Source: Section 3:10

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

ash23 wrote: »
    Eh, pregnant teachers anyone?
    I recall teachers in my school being pregnant so i don't see why it would be a health and safety issue for a student.

and I recall students in my school having various injuries, cuts, bruises, sprains, a hand through a glass window etc.... but not one relating to a teacher..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

and I recall students in my school having various injuries, cuts, bruises, sprains, a hand through a glass window etc.... but not one relating to a teacher..

Ah come on Prinz, you don't really think this girl didn't get her place over a health and safety issue do you? The comments alone made about her are enough to show exactly what this muppet thinks of teen mums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I'm pretty sure that teenagers are not so moronic and stupid that they would put a pregnant girl at risk. I know some of the people in our school did some awful stupid things but funnily enough the majority of students got through school unscathed.
    Even the pregnant ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

x teachers : (x * 25) students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Let's not get all hormonal here like 16 year old pregnant girls, At least I know how to use contraception and consider the life the child will have before bringing it in to the world.:p

I'm not hormonal.
    you can prepare all you like but you cannot know the future or what changes will occur. If we all had a crystal ball like you life would be boring.

I'm amazed you need to use contraception must be your charming personality that wins them over.

Nodin wrote: »
    Pathetic.
    The fact of the matter is that pregnancy is no barrier to being active to a degree well compatible with being present on school grounds....

Yes Nodin dear. Forgive me for having concerns for the safety of a pregnant teenager and that of her unborn, because teenagers in schools tend to be a rowdy bunch and personally I'd rather a young lady be safe than sorry. How pathetic of me.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Pregnant Girls bring many problems to schools .The potential for massive litigation costs being only one of them .

eviltwin wrote: »
    Ah come on Prinz, you don't really think this girl didn't get her place over a health and safety issue do you? The comments alone made about her are enough to show exactly what this muppet thinks of teen mums.

In this case? No, not at all, I thought that might've been covered when I called the principal a halfwit when it was clear she'd already had her baby. The point about health and safety concerns was more about pregnant girls in schools in general, but apparently there's nothing to worry, at all, schoolkids are all well behaved and never get up to anything that could endanger a fellow pupil.

Edit: Ah now I being accused of discrimination. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Yes Nodin dear. Forgive me for having concerns for the safety of a pregnant teenager and that of her unborn, because teenagers in schools tend to be a rowdy bunch and personally I'd rather a young lady be safe than sorry. How pathetic of me.

Do you think all pregnant women should be wrapped in cotton wool for nine months? Age does not matter.

ash23 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that teenagers are not so moronic and stupid that they would put a pregnant girl at risk. I know some of the people in our school did some awful stupid things but funnily enough the majority of students got through school unscathed.
    Even the pregnant ones.
    In this case, the girl went on 'maternity leave' towards the end of her pregnancy
    'during which period she received Home Tuition through the Department of Education and Skills.'.

A simple bit of common sense and some flexibility is all that was required here. Some would prefer exclusion and dress it up as concern for the girl. At least the school principal was up front with his discrimination.

paddyandy wrote: »
    Pregnant Girls bring many problems to schools .The potential for massive litigation costs being only one of them .

O' well there is a justified case for allowing discrimination if ever I saw one!

...What daftness!

You'll be able to point us to the various cases involving 'massive litigation' involving pregnant girls in Irish schools that you're aware of, won't you?

The only massive litigation costs that I'm aware of are the costs we are paying from the last time we excluded young pregnant girls from society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Leaving aside the pearl clutching for a second, the school looks from the report that it's run by one man, his son, no parent involvement, no complaints procedure, no appeals procedure and absolutely no processes beyond his own moral outrage.

He has refused to co-operate with either the Department of Education or the Childrens Ombudsman. He's denying the young person admission citing Catholic ethos and yet he's refusing to follow that ethos in the same breath. The Catholic "ethos" of the school is protected by Irish law and he's refusing to adhere to it.

And he's getting State funding.

I'd like my money back please.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lkdsl

I can't believe some of the posts in this thread. It's as if we have learnt nothing in 50 years. As someone who's mother was forced to give up her child (me) for adoption, the vitriol surrounding this girl is very hard to take. Please let me make a few points:
    1. We have no idea of the circumstances by which she got pregnant - she hardly planned it. She may have had little responsibility for it. We simply don't know and can't assume.
    2. She is pregnant and of school age. What are she and her parents supposed to do? She wants, needs and is entitled to an education, just like any other girl of her age.
    3. What benefit is it to her, to her family, and to her community if she is denied access to education? Being a parent is hard; being a single parent must be harder; why should we make it any harder for her?
    4. If you were her father, mother, brother or sister, what would you do? And what would you want and expect from the school?

Rant over. Sorry, but I'm very angry and upset by some of the daft comments here.

dvpower wrote: »
    In this case, the girl went on 'maternity leave' towards the end of her pregnancy
    'during which period she received Home Tuition through the Department of Education and Skills.'.A simple bit of common sense and some flexibility is all that was required here..

Ah yes, when someone else says it i'ts 'common sense and flexibility'. However when I raise concerns (which would lead to exactly the same approach which I think is best) with regard to pregnant girls in schools......amazeballs.

You'll be able to point us to the various cases involving 'massive litigation' involving pregnant girls in Irish schools that you're aware of, won't you?

The only massive litigation costs that I'm aware of are the costs we are paying from the last time we excluded young pregnant girls from society.

100% true.

Add to that, pregnant girls are working in many work places, walking around all day doing other jobs in employment or beyond it on commercial properties besides socially.

...But god forbid they have the nerve to go to a place where they could sit down in safety and while doing so, get a further education.
    ...Now that would be a terrible thing to allow!

• Moderators Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Ah yes, when someone else says it i'ts 'common sense and flexibility'. However when I raise concerns (which would lead to exactly the same approach which I think is best) with regard to pregnant girls in schools......

what about the following year when she was refused a place because she is a single mother?

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    what about the following year when she was refused a place because she is a single mother?

When I was clear on that I said the principal was acting like a halfwit for refusing her a place.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78422592&postcount=274 Here.

Since then people have just being trying their best to get offended over nothing.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

It was STILL the right decision . We don't need a precedent; schools are cash-strapped enough as it is .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If only this thread was about you...
    Posters hear make me laugh
    ...some make me shudder
    16 year old pregnant, hoping through 2/3 different schools..no problem, lets all bow to her needs, perfectly fine in this day and age, ignorance about how to avoid unwanted pregnancy is perfectly acceptable and widespread

1 school in the country doesn't want to take her in as it is against their ethos...well lets force the school to change their ethos and demand they let her in because she wants to go there
    What happened in previous schools is irrelevant, but a factor I could guess is she may have wished to get away from an environment which led her to become pregnant. The only school rejecting her, is one she wants to attend.
    It's all the schools fault, where is her parents responsibility in this?
    I can't tell what the kind of attitude is being put forward here. Its either:

-Ignorance
    -Arogance
    -Flat out studipity

The only issue at hand with the school in question is that they refused her admittance. I'm not too sure where you wish to place responsibilty on the parents, unless you expect adolescents to bunk with their folks until they've been shown to be sexually responsible.

Because that's how ridiculas it reads.
    State is providing her with an education, if it's not the type of education her parents, are satisfied with, they should hire a tutor
    There is nothing mentioned of the state refusing her an education, the investigation is the state looking into why 1 of it's instituitions rejected her the availablity of an education based on a complaint lodged by her. So she is attending another school, that doesn't excuse why this school responded in the manner it did. Imposing some idea of elitism and discarding her as it did.

• luckyfrank wrote: »
    school kids shouldnt really be getting pregnant

Fair enough but the issue here is the pontification of this so called 'Catholic ethos' by the School Head.

We all know what the 'Catholic Ethos' consists of by now and those who preached it were the ones who helped cover up alot of their colleagues 'sins' so they should spare us their bullsh*t because they are fooling absolutely know one.

While teenage pregnancy is not advisable, neither is it a crime and the girl doesnt deserve to be painted as a social pariah by a bigot who is promoting an ethos that has quite frankly been exposed as fraudulent, double standardised, and in alot of cases, elitist.

• Advertisement

It was STILL the right decision . We don't need a precedent; schools are cash-strapped enough as it is .

O' for gods sake.
    If we start fearing the solicitor for everything we do or allow, we would be afraid to even step outside our doors for crying out loud - and the world would be a far worse off place, if not the people in it!

Again, more daftness.

This is Ireland, not America yet were there is fierce over-reactions to the power of fearing litigation!

Lets all crap ourselves, one person might sue a school for the first time in the history of the state because she might have reason to - lets instead ban all females instead nationwide from every education building!
    Yea, that sounds like good sense!

Utter stupidity!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement