Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nasty bullying taxi drivers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Well you cant second guess or assume why they wouldnt take you .You may have looked drunk or dodgy to them who knows ?? Rialto wouldnt be considered a "short fare" either, but there are some parts of Rialto that are considered dodgy.As I say you cannot assume or second guess ..

Once you are in a taxi he/she HAS to take you unless it is 30km or more then he /she can refuse and/ or if you look dodgy or are drunk .

If as you say there were a line of taxis outside the club I assume it was Dandilon club ,then it wasnt a legal rank ...
    The legal rank is at the corner of Stephens Green Park ,just so you know
    They broke the law by refusing the fare without reasonable grounds! There is no second guessing involved just more taxi driver criminality!

The fact that taxi drivers congregate and form illegal ranks outside nightclubs just proves the point about their criminality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They broke the law by refusing the fare without reasonable grounds! There is no second guessing involved just more taxi driver criminality!

The fact that taxi drivers congregate and form illegal ranks outside nightclubs just proves the point about their criminality!

Why am I not surprised that FL would reply with his usual armchair know it all comment ...
    *sighs*
    No they didnt break the law .If you actually READ my post you will see that a driver has to take a passenger once they are IN the car (providing the person isnt drunk /poses a threat or if the fare is over 30km) ,,,a driver is doing NOTHING illegal by rolling down his window and refuseing a fare..
    As for your second point ,as I said any taxi that plys for hire other than on a legal rank is doing so illegally ....

Why am I not surprised that FL would reply with his usual armchair know it all comment ...
    *sighs*
    No they didnt break the law .If you actually READ my post you will see that a driver has to take a passenger once they are IN the car (providing the person isnt drunk /poses a threat or if the fare is over 30km) ,,,a driver is doing NOTHING illegal by rolling down his window and refuseing a fare..
    As for your second point ,as I said any taxi that plys for hire other than on a legal rank is doing so illegally ....
    When a driver is on a rank he can not refuse any fare, they are breaking the law if they do, They must accept any fare within the 30km rule and also if they are not on a rank or it is an illegal rank they are still breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I just wave taxis down now, they seem delighted to take you somewhere even if its only a short distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I totally sympathise with OP and others who've had bad experiences. I just want a short download on my last trip from the airport. Due to previous horrific taxis and/or drivers I take the aircoach if I can at all. However this time I was coming back from a 16 hour journey and had a large bag + the next aircoach was an hour.

The taxi was a wreck, terrible smell, radio blaring the whole time, driver shouting at me aggressively over the radio insisting that we'd have to go the M50 cos of traffic in the city (I was going southside and I know from previous experience how expensive M50 is) - this was mid-evening on a Sat - not the busiest time for city traffic!

It was a miserable journey - apart from the radio, the smell and the shouting the suspension was shot. The only laugh for me was that I was returning from Japan where the taxis are pristine and the driver that took me to the airport had worn white gloves and couldn't have treated me with greater respect he even apologised for the traffic and any delay although we didn't speak the same language!

Aircoach from the airport always from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Why do people ask before they get into the taxi. Sit into the car then tell the driver where you are going I have seen this happen in front of me on a rank and I get out and tell the driver in front he either takes the fare or moves of the rank loosing his place.
    As for sitting on make up ranks outside clubs pubs etc "who cares" its not the worst law to break there are to many cars for ranks in the city and in fairness it saves the customer a walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Drivers just love to get flagged down and you'll never have a problem, they'll be in great form. They want your fare
    I do have great chats with most of them :)

Ranks only cause trouble.
    There are two ranks near my local shopping centre but I ignore them both, just walk two hundred metres up the road and flag someone.
    Saves the grumbling over the short local fare.

If the rank was right across the road I'd still ignore it

• Registered Users Posts: 31 volrex

Is it still the case that a taxi driver has to take you where you want to go? or has it changed that they can ask you before you get into the car and refuse you if they don't like the destination??

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Drivers just love to get flagged down and you'll never have a problem, they'll be in great form. They want your fare
    I do have great chats with most of them :)

Ranks only cause trouble.
    There are two ranks near my local shopping centre but I ignore them both, just walk two hundred metres up the road and flag someone.
    Saves the grumbling over the short local fare.

If the rank was right across the road I'd still ignore it

And what if you're coming from airport? and what about if the reason you are taking the taxi is the weight of your luggage or shopping? Should you walk to where there is passing traffic or to the end of the queue? Even if this is a mile away?

wexford12 wrote: »
    Why do people ask before they get into the taxi. Sit into the car then tell the driver where you are going I have seen this happen in front of me on a rank and I get out and tell the driver in front he either takes the fare or moves of the rank loosing his place.
    As for sitting on make up ranks outside clubs pubs etc "who cares" its not the worst law to break there are to many cars for ranks in the city and in fairness it saves the customer a walk
    Many taxis use their central locking or have a seperate locking device on the back doors to stop unwanted drunks etc getting into the car and they use this on everyone only allowing people in when they are happy they are going the right direction.
    volrex wrote: »
    Is it still the case that a taxi driver has to take you where you want to go? or has it changed that they can ask you before you get into the car and refuse you if they don't like the destination??
    They must take you wherever you want to go up to a maximum distance of 30km.

• Advertisement

I don't have a list of scenarios to cover every question trisha

I gave an example of what I do locally after I saw the post from Irish Fenian. What works for me

You did the same with your suggestion of aircoach in your situation

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I don't have a list of scenarios to cover every question trisha

I gave an example of what I do locally after I saw the post from Irish Fenian. What works for me

You did the same with your suggestion of aircoach in your situation

Nothing personal! Just making the point that your suggestion is not always feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

I got a taxi from the airport the other day. I got in and said Feltrim. We were just about out of the airport meters when he starting yaking about how short the fare was and how pissed off he was. I told him to stop. Gave him what was on the meter, told him I was sorry for his troubles but I couldnt listen to him and flagged down a taxi on that was passing and went home.

And thats exactly what i'll do in future when the moaning starts.

Im sick of the fukers moaning when I get a taxi at the airport. It should be against the law for them to even speak when you are on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

When a driver is on a rank he can not refuse any fare, they are breaking the law if they do, They must accept any fare within the 30km rule and also if they are not on a rank or it is an illegal rank they are still breaking the law.
    Wrong !!

2qk4u wrote: »
    Wrong !!

What part of it is wrong?
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/public_transport/duties_of_drivers_of_spsv_in_ire.html
    Right to refuse a passenger: Drivers have the right to refuse to take a fare from you if you are unable to prove that you can pay the fare. They cannot unreasonably refuse to take you up to a distance of 30 kilometres. They may, however, refuse to take you any further.

Taking the shortest route: Under Section 39 of the Taxi Regulation Act 2003, drivers must take the shortest possible route when taking you to your destination.
    http://www.nationaltransport.ie/public-transport-services/taxi/taxi/
    Taxis

May be hired at a taxi rank or hailed on the street (stand or ply for hire);
    May stand at a taxi rank (but only while the vehicle is available for hire);
    May use with-flow bus lanes when operating as an SPSV;
    Must use a verified calibrated taximeter and a printer for receipts;
    Must have a regulation roof sign;
    Must display the national maximum taxi fare card in the front of the vehicle and the passenger information card in the rear;
    Unless otherwise agreed with the customer in advance and in writing, must not charge more than the national maximum taxi fare;
    The driver must remain with the vehicle at all times while standing for hire, plying for hire and during a hire; and
    The driver must keep a record of all bookings and provide a printed receipt.

As for legality, I have seen dozens of taxis around Dublin without the letter(s) on the roof sign they are obliged to display since 1st August 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

And what if you're coming from airport? and what about if the reason you are taking the taxi is the weight of your luggage or shopping? Should you walk to where there is passing traffic or to the end of the queue? Even if this is a mile away?

Seeing as you are going south of the river and via the city is your preferred route you could always get a bus to the city and then hail a cab off the street there, would also be considerably cheaper than a taxi all the way from the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

wexford12 wrote: »

That very much depends on the road in question, I am sick of the attitude that taxi drivers think they can "rank" wherever they please. Be that extending a legitimate rank beyond the allocated space, parking up on pavements, double yellows, bus stops, bus lanes, general traffic lanes or entire roadways.

You shouldn't be breaking ANY laws. It is a laughable idea but taxi drivers are supposed to be professional drivers. In Dublin they are now a complete menace to other road users, why anyone is surprised that their customers are routinely treated with the same contempt they treat the rest of us with is beyond me.

I am sure there are some courteous professional taxi drivers still out there but there is precious little evidence of it.

As someone else said ,"Wrong",,,
    You should re read what was posted earlier,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    A driver CAN refuse a fare if the person is outside the car.
    If a passenger sits in the car and asks to go somewhere less than 30km then the driver MUST take them

If a passenger sits in the car and asks to go somewhere less than 30km then the driver MUST take them
    If any driver is situated at a taxi rank they can not refuse a fare whether you are sitting inside outside or on top of the taxi otherwise they are not for hire and have no business being on the rank!

Taxis

May be hired at a taxi rank or hailed on the street (stand or ply for hire);
    May stand at a taxi rank (but only while the vehicle is available for hire);
    May use with-flow bus lanes when operating as an SPSV;
    Must use a verified calibrated taximeter and a printer for receipts;
    Must have a regulation roof sign;
    Must display the national maximum taxi fare card in the front of the vehicle and the passenger information card in the rear;
    Unless otherwise agreed with the customer in advance and in writing, must not charge more than the national maximum taxi fare;
    The driver must remain with the vehicle at all times while standing for hire, plying for hire and during a hire; and
    The driver must keep a record of all bookings and provide a printed receipt.

Your response is frankly laughable, instead of breaking one basic rule they are breaking two or possibly more!

If any driver is situated at a taxi rank they can not refuse a fare whether you are sitting inside outside or on top of the taxi otherwise they are not for hire and have no business being on the rank!

Your response is frankly laughable, instead of breaking one basic rule they are breaking two or possibly more!

*sigh*

• Advertisement

• i got a cab last week i was going a far distance it was 30 euro he made me pay before we even left i was scared and just payed him so i txted my friend to ask her could i call her just to talk to here while in the cab i rang a friend to talk the hole time in the cab so i wouldnt have to talk to him

it was so scary he wanted payment before we even left what am i a scumbag :(

*sigh*
    Let me Try to explain it one last time,

As a taxi on a legal rank you are obliged to take people within reason who are going up yo 30km distance, you do not have to bring them any further than 30km but you must take them 30km if requested. When the passenger gets into the vehicle and tells the driver their destination and it is farther than 30km the driver must tell them if (s)he is not prepared to go that far and ask if they want to try another taxi or if (s)he should take them the 30km.

You are not expected to carry those who are mouldy or dirty or piss soaked or covered in vomit or blood or both, not even the regulator could expect that of ye!

once you stop at a rank you are obliged to take any persons who present for carriage, you are not entitled to refuse because they are going southside or any other direction or because the journey is too short or because by the looks of them you wont get a big enough tip! or indeed because you are not the first car on the rank!

If a taxi driver refuses any legitimate fare at a taxi rank they are not "for hire" so must leave the rank immediately!

Taxis are not allowed use bus lanes except when operating as an spsv.

i got a cab last week i was going a far distance it was 30 euro he made me pay before we even left i was scared and just payed him so i txted my friend to ask her could i call her just to talk to here while in the cab i rang a friend to talk the hole time in the cab so i wouldnt have to talk to him

it was so scary he wanted payment before we even left what am i a scumbag :(

I would not mind this at all! any taxi driver is entitled to make sure you have enough money to cover your journey before they proceed. Many will ask for a rough amount beforehand because on longer journeys people can fall asleep and they just jump out of the taxi when they get woken up and it can be hard to get money out of them.

Taxi drivers of Ireland, please stop listening to the Adrian Kennedy show

Many of your comrades are too fond of that show and I suspect it's raising your stress levels and making you angry with the world

And affecting the stress levels of your passengers too who after all want a quiet and peaceful journey

I highly recommend Lyric FM :)

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Seeing as you are going south of the river and via the city is your preferred route you could always get a bus to the city and then hail a cab off the street there, would also be considerably cheaper than a taxi all the way from the airport.

In my post I do explain that I never normally take a taxi but on this occasion I had already been travelling for 16 hours (also suffering serious jetlag) and had a very heavy case. Not being a spring chick lugging my bag on and off the bus was not a realistic option.

However be assured I will in the future do anything at all possible to avoid taxis. Presumably taxi drivers have so much business that they don't mind losing me as a customer:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

*sigh*

It's amazing how he has a cast iron knowledge on every single little aspect of transport, no matter what it may be. Oisin, I'd advise you to put him on ignore, which is what the majority of posters here have done, myself included. Your enjoyment of this site would vastly improve as a result :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

jollygood wrote: »
    As a 34 year old woman, I don't usually burst into tears but last night was an exception. After a long hard week at work and carrying several heavy bags, I got into a taxi at the rank on Dawson Street, Dublin 2 to go 2.2KM to Barrow Street.
    As soon as I said where I wanted to go, the driver shouted at me the whole way, because apparently he had been at that rank for some time, and accused me of taking away his livelihood by asking to be taken such a short distance.
    It was a nasty threatening atmosphere which ended up with me bursting into tears while he belatedly offered apologies and tissues.
    At the same rank three weeks previously, I had tried to make the same journey and a driver refused to take me. I tried the next in line, who also refused. The third in line accepted the fare after much sighing and rolling of the eyes.
    I have written to the Taxi Regulator about this matter, but how can some taxi drivers claim to be hard done by while they refuse fares and cherry pick those they deem of sufficient value? Am really annoyed!

walk or get the bus

imo

Vic_08 wrote: »
    That very much depends on the road in question, I am sick of the attitude that taxi drivers think they can "rank" wherever they please. Be that extending a legitimate rank beyond the allocated space, parking up on pavements, double yellows, bus stops, bus lanes, general traffic lanes or entire roadways.

You shouldn't be breaking ANY laws. It is a laughable idea but taxi drivers are supposed to be professional drivers. In Dublin they are now a complete menace to other road users, why anyone is surprised that their customers are routinely treated with the same contempt they treat the rest of us with is beyond me.

I am sure there are some courteous professional taxi drivers still out there but there is precious little evidence of it.

Your right Taxis are a menace on the roads but really only because there is so many of them its a sea of yellow lights in Dublin city. If there were less taxis it would make for better drivers who care about their job and industry.Instead we have far to many drawing the dole and renting taxis all over the place who have no care for anyone out there.

Kaner2004 wrote: »
    I got a taxi from the airport the other day. I got in and said Feltrim. We were just about out of the airport meters when he starting yaking about how short the fare was and how pissed off he was. I told him to stop. Gave him what was on the meter, told him I was sorry for his troubles but I couldnt listen to him and flagged down a taxi on that was passing and went home.

And thats exactly what i'll do in future when the moaning starts.

Im sick of the fukers moaning when I get a taxi at the airport. It should be against the law for them to even speak when you are on your way.

LOL Fantastic what a good idea and I'm not joking I am a taxi driver who is sick of hearing other drivers moan. Well done thats the way to do it leave him with €4.10 day time rate lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

You are wrong, foggy lad is right. I say this as someone who was a taxi driver for five years till I managed to get the hell out of it

Advertisement