Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Little Island pharm explosion.

Options
  • 04-05-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

There is a lad still in hospital in an induced coma to promote his recovery after the explosion. Express some support for him here. He is a family man and lets hope he pulls through.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hope he comes out of it and his family are supported at this time, prayers for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Excuse the ignorance but what happened exactly?

Edit: Found it, sorry.

Get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

tribulus wrote: »
    Excuse the ignorance but what happened exactly?

Edit: Found it, sorry.

Get well soon.
    Chemical factory explosion, one lad died, 'Jimmy' is in an induced coma to help his recovery. It is touch and go. Let's hope he makes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That's horrible. There have been so many accidents in Cork Harbour plants over the years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Whats point of posting in after hours forum about this? I wish the man well but don't see point in publicly posting requests to "hope" for him.

• Advertisement

Why not? That's the beauty of the interweb.

Thanks lads for the support given, Hopefully 'Jimmy' will recover and get back to his family it is touch and go. He is on life support, it seems like it will take a miracle to pull him back, heres hoping though. C,mon Jim you can do it. All I ask is for a few people to believe that he can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i havent a clue what this is about.

whats this? when was it? i take it some factory had an accident? i tried google news but couldnt find anything, could someone please put a link in, i work in industry and dont like to hear of these things.... story please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

• Advertisement

just read that article, there was a previous similar emergency call-out 5 days prior?? wtf? id like to get the full story.

scuse my rudeness, i hope that guy pulls through, i hadnt heard this story, unfortunately the weeks news was dominated by other tragedies, sometimes ye kind of switch off after the first few sad headlines, human nature, also normally at work wed discuss the current headlines etc(idle chit-chat) before we kick off a days work, this one must have gone under the radar! (for me anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

This reminds me of 'sending our love down the well' in the Simpsons.

On a science point: How do they induce a coma? Some mix of drugs?

Sherifu wrote: »
    This reminds me of 'sending our love down the well' in the Simpsons.

smack on the forehead with a mallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Sherifu wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_coma
    Watch more House M.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Sorry to hear about this. Hope he pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Karoma wrote: »
    Thanks. I plan to start watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Was on a safepass course during the week and the instructor took up this case as a good example of lax safety and the trouble it's going to get a whole host of people into...apparently there is a record of previous incidents in the plant and the HSA are going to have a field day bringing prosecutions against the owners, safety officers and perhaps even some of the workers themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

'Jimmy' keep fighting and pull through.

Wertz wrote: »
    Was on a safepass course during the week and the instructor took up this case as a good example of lax safety and the trouble it's going to get a whole host of people into...apparently there is a record of previous incidents in the plant and the HSA are going to have a field day bringing prosecutions against the owners, safety officers and perhaps even some of the workers themselves...
    Aye the explosion was one of three, there was two previous explosions over the last couple of months. Apparently if the current explosion had of happened in another part of the factory it would have blown into Pfizers possibly causing who knows what kind of chain reaction with the chemicals involved.

Anyway, Jimmy is not in the news because he is still alive (just), the media is fickle and has moved on, the facts remain for those close to the event. The induced coma is to give his body a chance to recover, if he was awake further damage could be done, he is in a bad way.

There has been a number of explosions which go unreported in little Island, local people are more aware of them as they happen obviously, these accidents are mostly kept out of the news when they happen. Point in fact is: a friend of mine having being woken by one such explosion which rattled windows across the neighbourhood took it upon himself to march into the guilty chemical factory in the early hours and demand an explanation.

The factory admin naturally tried to give him a bum steer, but being a health and safety op himself from another chem company he demanded explanations. They had to bring him in and fed him coffee and re-assurance, but no satisfaction was gained and indeed it did not reach the news.

These companies are a disgrace, and should be investigated thoroughly to prevent further disasters, then maybe in future some families would not have to be praying for their Dads to make it out alive from an induced coma.

I worked for a company in Little Island for a few years and their health and safety practices were nigh on complete negligence, I witnessed total environmental abuse not to mention employee exposure to harmfull chemicals which we and my fellow employees had no training for.

One begrudged employee quit and called the Health and safety on them. They dispatched some muppet with no principles who actually called us into a private session to ask us if we had a problem with what was going on. No-one spoke up as I guess we were naive to the safe practice and the potential for harm which we were under. Looking back the person that they sent out looked rather conflicted and stressed as he was asking us to complain about the obvious complete dis-regard for our safety. Either he took a few quid in a brown envelope or he had no evidence? I'm not sure which route he took to this day but this company still practises today with the same disregard for it's employees.

It seems like the buck falls with the health and safety really, they are not active enough, The responsiblity is on them to be more effective, the owners of these companies should be brought to book across the board by way of educating them in some cases and penalising them when they delibarately neglect responsibility.

Maybe then some people can go to work and make a buck without the fear of not coming back home, Jimmy and Liam Nodwell are an unfortunate example of how this is a fact which needs to be addressed.

The fact that a company which had 2 previous explosions which led to a third which caused loss of life and a lad on life support is an indication of neglect not only from the company itself, it was neglect from the health and safety as well, that is a given. That is my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dudess wrote: »
    Why not? That's the beauty of the interweb.

Well we could get a list of the patients in all the local intensive care units and give them a thread each. Doubt they'd last long.There isnt really a point. None of us know him so why single him out from all the other sick people we dont know?

I dunno. Why not? It's hard to give everyone the fair and equitable treatment they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Stekelly wrote: »
    Well we could get a list of the patients in all the local intensive care units and give them a thread each. Doubt they'd last long.There isnt really a point. None of us know him so why single him out from all the other sick people we dont know?

Id say either post something well meaning and positve or if ya think its a waste of time then dont,,,why spend your time and energy giving out about the thread :confused:

Advertisement