Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie ever impact on your real life?

• 26-04-2008 3:00pm

Has it ever affected your life for better or worse?

I started a thread on the leaving cert forum around 2 years ago.It was how my girlfriend at the time was stressing out about the leaving cert.I was just asking for some advice to help her cope.However,one of her school classmates read this who hated her.

I was away for 2 weeks during that summer.This was when the girl decided to tell my girlfriend that I was bitching and taking the piss out of her on the internet.My girlfriend was understandably upset.When she talked about it.I said that I had sad something but that the girl who told ie the bitch had intentionally distorted the truth to hurt my grlfriend.

She told me she couldn't trust me and while we went out for a month after that.It as the beginning of the end of our relationship.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

nope

makes me less productive tho

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ouch OP. That sucks. I don't think it has for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Has it ever affected your life for better or worse?

I started a thread on the leaving cert forum around 2 years ago.It was how my girlfriend at the time was stressing out about the leaving cert.I was just asking for some advice to help her cope.However,one of her school classmates read this who hated her.

I was away for 2 weeks during that summer.This was when the girl decided to tell my girlfriend that I was bitching and taking the piss out of her on the internet.My girlfriend was understandably upset.When she talked about it.I said that I had sad something but that the girl who told ie the bitch had intentionally distorted the truth to hurt my grlfriend.

She told me she couldn't trust me and while we went out for a month after that.It as the beginning of the end of our relationship.

Did you not show her the thread to show her what you were saying about her instead of what her enemy said you were saying about her and that you were only concerned about her? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

tracy barlow strikes again

cormie wrote: »
    Did you not show her the thread to show her what you were saying about her instead of what her enemy said you were saying about her and that you were only concerned about her? :eek:

In my panic, freaked out and got Dev to delete the thread for me.I now stupid but I was only 17.:o

• Advertisement

In my panic, freaked out and got Dev to delete the thread for me.I now stupid but I was only 17.:o
    Lol. Google cache ftw! Saving relationships since 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

There may still be hope to revive it back from the admin section of Vbulletin. Be worth a shot to save the relationship ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

cormie wrote: »

Thats what I was going to say as well. If you'd shown her you only had her best interests at heart when discussing the stress she was going through then surely she might have understood you meant no harm.

In saying that, I think people should think twice before discussing personal things about people they know on the internet. It could cause more harm than good.

I've never had anything happen to me over posting on boards and the only way it has affected me at all is that I would have been in bed a lot earlier at night that I have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Im going to say yes to the question OP. There is a little sway perhaps. I've asked a couple of questions here and there, because I was looking for advice / opinions from anyone who doesnt know me. I would have been looking for thoughts from outside the box if you will. In RL people have a tendancy to sugar-coat or just agree with everything you say because they don't want to hurt your feelings or whatever.

Some have a good take on things, and others are a little off-colour tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Someone posted an ad in the Poker forum for a freeroll which I entered, and ended up winning three grand in. Not too shabby!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

According to a friend of mine who works for a certain phone company, one of his colleagues was fired from said company for comments posted on boards.

Myself, it's given me a few answers on IT issues outside of my area of expertise.

OP that sucks, but in your old age you must see you handled it atrociously? :)

Of course.I handled it really bad.You learn from your mistakes.

two year have gone by sine that and I realise now that it was better being single in college than going out with somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

no, its the internet. Nothing is real here.

Sorry about your troubles op

two year have gone by sine that and I realise now that it was better being single in college than going out with somebody.
    Both probably true.

Then boards has affected your life in a positive way. :)

snyper wrote: »

Sorry about your troubles op

Thanks.Its grand now.Just struck me today while trying to avoid study.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thanks to this place i passed a couple of college projects i might not have :D

Also, through an extended period of time surfing through PI, i learned how to manipulte women an awful lot better, something i'm eternally grateful for :D

Mr.S wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised, a lot of people post on the Mobiles/PDA forum with obvious names bitching about their companys they work for, theres even a sticky about it!.

only thing i can think of, is selling stuff on boards tbh! brought in a good few yoyos!

I'm continually amazed by it, I used to work for a phone company and often offered advice on it but keep private stuff private... Some people need a little more intarnetz cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Defence mechanism much?

You are lookin' pretty real in NYN :p

Some people on here give me a laugh when Im bored. Someone else mentioned it makes them less productive. I agree with that, its too tempting to sneak on for a nose - especially when you are doing something boring as shit. there are some funny boardsers on here, some are really kind. If you set aside the trolls and spacers, you could meet much stranger walking around town. I know better than to take anything to heart, but appreciate the kinder and genuine people here. They be more than a post I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

My ex-girlfriend posted in PI after we broke up, talking about a miscarriage with a pprevious boyfriend. Never specified which one, though she's knows I'm on boards and she's an awful attention seeker. Still though, never found out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I would probably be getting 1.1s only for boards!:o Best procrastination aid ever.

On a positive note I did get a lovely hamster called cuddles! (Thanks red ice:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Some of the idiocy witnessed on here sometimes písses me off offline, if that counts as impacting my real life :D

Thankfully nothing I say online will ever come back to bite me in the ass though, unless it was something to do with my personal life (such as the gf/work/my opinion of someone I know IRL through boards) but I wouldn't be posting that sort of stuff in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I dont understand how somone could get worked up over what happens on an internet forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Yes,it's been stopping me studying for my end of year exams for the last 2 weeks:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I dont understand how somone could get worked up over what happens on an internet forum?

Why not? People say "its just the internet" but as this thread and countless boardsies' experiences have shown, what happens on the internet can have a very real effect on someone's life, both in emotional ways and in physical ways. People have had babies (boards babies!) after meeting on boards, as well as countless relationships, breakups, casual shags etc. Not to mention non-relationship related occurrences (people finding/losing jobs and whatnot).

Boards has definitely had an impact upon my life, but in hundreds of tiny ways instead of any huge ways I could think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Met my gf at a Boards (BGRH) Beers.

made a good few real friends on BGRH.

I run the Boards Soccer Team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I was having an ould troll on the martial arts forum accusing them of being pedo badger baiters
    anyway they tracked me doen and baited seven shades of badger out of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I was having an ould troll on the martial arts forum accusing them of being pedo badger baiters
    anyway they tracked me doen and baited seven shades of badger out of me
    Lol Mount any man

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lost 1/2 of my best friends because of it and other things...
    Miss em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Lost 1/2 of my best friends because of it and other things...
    Miss em.

but it was great as another means of getting to know you :)

Advertisement