Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

picking leaving cert subjects... home ec

Options
  • 08-01-2013 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I'm trying to pick my subjects for leaving cert and i have a rough idea of what i want to pick. I have one problem though, see i want to do home ec (social and scientific) but i didn't do it in 1st to 3rd year... I'm not sure if that's a problem because i may be behind the others that did it for junior cert. I think i need it as i want to do things to do with nutrition and food:) I also want to do art but I'm not sure if it will be very hard or not, I've done from 1st to 3rd so i know how to draw and do most of the stuff... please help if you can especially if you didn't do home ec for junior but did it for leaving, Thankss:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

[SIZE="4"]So I'm trying to pick my subjects for leaving cert and i have a rough idea of what i want to pick. I have one problem though, see i want to do home ec (social and scientific) but i didn't do it in 1st to 3rd year... I'm not sure if that's a problem because i may be behind the others that did it for junior cert. I think i need it as i want to do things to do with nutrition and food:) I also want to do art but I'm not sure if it will be very hard or not, I've done from 1st to 3rd so i know how to draw and do most of the stuff... please help if you can especially if you didn't do home ec for junior but did it for leaving, Thankss:)
    [/SIZE]
    Tbh home ec is quite a hard subject to get the a in but I know loads of people who didn't do it for thd jc and are doing it now and are doubg fine ..I think you just have to make sure you learn the basics but I think you would be fine.. But remember it is really hard to get the a

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

I didn't do home ec for the junior cert but decided to take it up for the leaving cert and got an A1 in it so it's definitely possible to do well in it even if you haven't done it before.

For me I was lucky, I had a brilliant teacher who made me love the subject and I loved going to that class every day.

The best advice I can give you is to study well for all class tests on each topic and this will really stand to you when it comes to the big exams. My teacher also made us do all the exam questions (both long and short) that she could find and this really helped to understand what the examiner is looking for in terms of picking up marks.

Remember that there's the project worth 20% so if you do well in this you are well on the way to achieving a good grade.

Bottom line, don't let not doing home ec for the junior cert put you off doing it for the leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Home Ec is very hard at higher level for the Leaving Cert. I've done it from 1st year and I'm in 6th year now and still find it difficult. There's a lot of work involved but if you're willing to put in hours into your assignments and into studying the content, you should be okay. There's a lot more food science in the Leaving Cert course than there is in Junior Cert so you might want to have a look at some of the Leaving Cert papers and the marking schemes and see what you think. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

TBH, I found Home Ec very difficult for the Leaving.
    I kinda hated every minute of it, and had to work my ass off to get only a B2.
    There's just so much to learn, such a broad and detailed course.
    If it's gonna be one of your course requirements though you don't really have a choice. Most course requirements only require a higher C3, which is achieveable without Home Ec for Junior, I think.
    I didn't do Art, but I have friends who did. It is marked very. very toughly.
    One of my friends is kinda an Art genius, and even she didnt do that well.
    While it would make sense and be ideal to study subjects you like for the Leaving, often is the ones that can get you the higher points which are most beneficial. Then when you get to College you can rally study what you love.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I'm afraid I can't say anything about home ec as I'm not doing it for the leaving I am doing art however. In the junior cert art is an easy a. Art is completely different in the leaving. You don't do a project but you have art practicals. You basically have an exams in making a place that aren't in class time. Usually you have the popular option of the poster although their are more. You also have a life drawing exam and still life. You given a week to prepare. However the art history tends to bring people down in marks. There is a lot to cover. You need to know 3 sections: Irish art (basically a detailed verison similar to your jc history like the iron age etc), european art like the gothic period and then appreciation of art which I find to be the easiest. Many people doing art history tend to dislike it. It is only worth 37.5% and it has been the same course since the 70s. I don't want to put you off art. It's a great feeling getting away fron looking at textbooks all the time and can sometimes be creative although the leaving isnt great for that. If you decide to do art get yourself less stress more success revision book for art history. Art history books tend to have way to much information but the revision book has everything sumed up nice and neat :)
    I know you were looking for an insight into home ec but I thought I'd tell you about art. Art exams are long but you have everything completed in 'drawing' before the lc starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I took up Home Ec in 5th year as a leaving cert subject and I also didn't do it for junior cert. At the time I only picked it because I hadn't much choice but now I'm delighted I did. The content can be quiet hard at times but once you learn it you're fine. I'm actually doing better than most people who did it for the junior cert so from my experience you're at no disadvantage not having it done at junior cert.

As for art the course is completely different to junior cert as there is history involved and the whole craft part of the exam is done over 2 days unlike the junior cert where it is done in the class. The only negative part for me about art is the history part which always brings my result down but it is only worth 35%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 annawalsh21398

user.name wrote: »
    I'm afraid I can't say anything about home ec as I'm not doing it for the leaving I am doing art however. In the junior cert art is an easy a. Art is completely different in the leaving. You don't do a project but you have art practicals. You basically have an exams in making a place that aren't in class time. Usually you have the popular option of the poster although their are more. You also have a life drawing exam and still life. You given a week to prepare. However the art history tends to bring people down in marks. There is a lot to cover. You need to know 3 sections: Irish art (basically a detailed verison similar to your jc history like the iron age etc), european art like the gothic period and then appreciation of art which I find to be the easiest. Many people doing art history tend to dislike it. It is only worth 37.5% and it has been the same course since the 70s. I don't want to put you off art. It's a great feeling getting away fron looking at textbooks all the time and can sometimes be creative although the leaving isnt great for that. If you decide to do art get yourself less stress more success revision book for art history. Art history books tend to have way to much information but the revision book has everything sumed up nice and neat :)
    I know you were looking for an insight into home ec but I thought I'd tell you about art. Art exams are long but you have everything completed in 'drawing' before the lc starts.
    I know i needed info on doing home ec for leaving but that actually really helped on my decision on art! thanks:)

Yeah i think i will take up home ec for LC because i think i will work hard at it and want to learn more about food science and stuff like that. I was thinking of taking it up when i was picking my subjects for first year but ended up doing art and business but i always sorta wished i did home ec... well anyways just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

Yeah i think i will take up home ec for LC because i think i will work hard at it and want to learn more about food science and stuff like that. I was thinking of taking it up when i was picking my subjects for first year but ended up doing art and business but i always sorta wished i did home ec... well anyways just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help:)

Having business is a great advantage also cos there are a lot of aspects to home ec that relate back to business like human resource management and all! Also if your doing biology for LC, a lot of that will link in with home ec also!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

shawnanana wrote: »
    Having business is a great advantage also cos there are a lot of aspects to home ec that relate back to business like human resource management and all! Also if your doing biology for LC, a lot of that will link in with home ec also!

I did Biology as well as Home Ec and I didn't really find it an advantage.
    Different stuff had to be learned for the two, and I found myself getting confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kenbob

[SIZE="4"]So I'm trying to pick my subjects for leaving cert and i have a rough idea of what i want to pick. I have one problem though, see i want to do home ec (social and scientific) but i didn't do it in 1st to 3rd year... I'm not sure if that's a problem because i may be behind the others that did it for junior cert. I think i need it as i want to do things to do with nutrition and food:) I also want to do art but I'm not sure if it will be very hard or not, I've done from 1st to 3rd so i know how to draw and do most of the stuff... please help if you can especially if you didn't do home ec for junior but did it for leaving, Thankss:)
    [/SIZE]
    Do home ec I adore it got straight as and bs since first year i will admit leaving cert takes it to a whole new level but you may be better off not knowing the simplified version either because it can be confusing :) but pick it pick it!

im considering doing business i did it since first year and i think its okay im not a huge fan as there is a lot to learn, but then again i have learnt lots of the basics. A lot of people are doing accounting also which i dont really want to do as i dont enjoy accounts and im not that great at them... i have to pick a fifth and sixth choice incase i dont get into my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick so im thinking maybe history and business but im really not sure:S

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

im considering doing business i did it since first year and i think its okay im not a huge fan as there is a lot to learn, but then again i have learnt lots of the basics. A lot of people are doing accounting also which i dont really want to do as i dont enjoy accounts and im not that great at them... i have to pick a fifth and sixth choice incase i dont get into my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick so im thinking maybe history and business but im really not sure:S

I do Business for the Leaving Cert and honestly it isn't that hard. It's more structured than the Junior Cert which is a good thing, and no nasty accounts!
    The content is just more detail than what you would have covered in Junior Cert and the questions as they come up in the exam are more predictable too!
    I'd advise doing it for Leaving Cert since you've done it since Junior because a lot of it is the same material just building on it!

Advertisement