Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Since it[s the right page for it, could someone post a picture of that red Alfa with 666 on the number plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I've had my 525d touring for nearly 5 years and up to recently have been thinking of selling. The thing is that I'd be lucky to get €4k for it and to get a car that I like as much that's has all "the usual" bits done would cost me a fortune, only to be worthless in a few years.

I think I'll hang on to what I have for a couple of years...
    24b290j.jpg

Would have loved to have seen Marlow's one though. Really nice job. Marlow, did you remove your rear air suspension?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hey Zeus Quintana

Full-14290889.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Would have loved to have seen Marlow's one though. Really nice job. Marlow, did you remove your rear air suspension?

No. I never got around to do much more research into that. I changed the complete suspension from SE to MSport tough, including suspension airbags.

It might involve changing the rear axle, but I'd really need to find a Touring with rear springs to crawl under and check it out. I even had arranged to do that, but then sold the car after having 2 years.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

@Marlow

I know it had a sports exhaust (can't remember which one), did you decat it before remapping it?

One thing I'm trying to figure out with mine. I'll certainly be changing the backbox to get rid of the downpipes, and I know a decat would help in terms of a remap, but I couldn't live with myself if my car went boo :pac:

• Advertisement

@Marlow

I know it had a sports exhaust (can't remember which one), did you decat it before remapping it?

One thing I'm trying to figure out with mine. I'll certainly be changing the backbox to get rid of the downpipes, and I know a decat would help in terms of a remap, but I couldn't live with myself if my car went boo :pac:

The exhaust system I stuck on mine was out of a UK car. It was a complete cat-back (so 2 cats instead of 4) from eco-tune with a stainless steel backbox from Tony Banks, that was designed for that exhaust system.

The remap was done before the exhaust system was changed, but had to be retweaked afterwards again as the back pressure in the OEM system is different from the cat-back system and that actually changes the fuel economy badly.

My recommendation is, that if you haven't remapped yet and you want to do a de-cat or cat-back, then wait until you have all the bits in place and get somebody to do the remap, that has a dyno or does rolling remaps. Don't use somebody that just pushes an update in, that he's bought elsewhere.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Marlow wrote: »
    No. I never got around to do much more research into that. I changed the complete suspension from SE to MSport tough, including suspension airbags.

It might involve changing the rear axle, but I'd really need to find a Touring with rear springs to crawl under and check it out. I even had arranged to do that, but then sold the car after having 2 years.

/M

I take it you weren't overly impressed by the msport rear suspension so, as you were already considering changing it? I think I remember seeing all round coilover sets available on US sites but thery were huge money.

It's one thing about owning a touring, any parts specific to that style are savage expensive or rare as rockin horse sh1te i.e. shadowline trim!

I take it you weren't overly impressed by the msport rear suspension so, as you were already considering changing it? I think I remember seeing all round coilover sets available on US sites but thery were huge money.

It's one thing about owning a touring, any parts specific to that style are savage expensive or rare as rockin horse sh1te i.e. shadowline trim!

No. The sports suspension is superb and is more than adequate for normal road use. If you however take the car to a track or do regular hard driving, the airbags just won't last. Even the MSport ones.

KW does a complete coil-over set using Koni shocks. Steve Wright, who did the E39 M5 Touring build in the UK, used those in his Touring, still using the MSport airbags in the back and was quite happy with that.

If I had kept the car, I just wanted less things to be able to go wrong with it and the air suspension is one of the weak-points of the Touring. I've done a massive amount of troubleshooting on it and two garages hadn't been able to determine a problem I had until I got under the car myself and found the issue myself.

/M

Just looking at Eco-tunes website, came across this....

http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/product/BMW_320D_E46_Exhaust_System_Centre_Decat

Looks pretty sweet...:D

I'm planning on giving it to Joe Power to remap when the time comes

Just looking at Eco-tunes website, came across this....

http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/product/BMW_320D_E46_Exhaust_System_Centre_Decat

Looks pretty sweet...:D

The Ecotune exhaust system is fantastic for the E39. First of all, the front cats were removed directly behind the manifold. Then the flexi-pipe section was moved up there instead, so it doesn't sit exposed under car anymore and breaks, when you rub it over speed bumps and the likes.

The sound of that exhaust with the 525d 6-pot was more like a 6-pot jag petrol engine. No diesel characteristics left and very distinct.

So win-win on sound, performance AND one weak-point eliminated.

Joe is who does all my remapping and I can't recommend him enough.

/M

• Advertisement

This is what the car sounded like with the new exhaust system.

It's a bit muffled because it's a gopro in waterproof housing on the back-bumper besides the exhaust tips.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

That is some car Marlow, Fair play!

Yeah, I remember having a spin in it at a meet :)

I'm aware short of dumping a 6cyl into mine, it'll never quite lose the diesel sound of longing for those extra cylinders.

As long as the thing doesn't make any boo sound though, it's good enough for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Go listen to an Range Rover Sport 3.6 v8...

MMMMMMMMMmmm

As long as the thing doesn't make any boo sound though, it's good enough for me!

The boo sound is more the case of a straight through pipe and basically no backbox, which is complete and utter nonsense, because you also remove the back-pressure from the turbo entirely. That's in no way good for performance.

The T4 is getting a de-cat as there only is one cat, that's it. On the BMW, it was plenty to get the two front cats removed and leave the center ones (probably high-flow ones in the eco-tune system). That way emissions also was no issue on NCT.

I NCT'd the car prior to selling it and it passed with the only comment from the tester, that he loved it and he had to take 4 attempts to get the handbrake to give enough braking power. Good thing there, because he liked the car, he didn't fail it on silly things.

/M

Go listen to an Range Rover Sport 3.6 v8...

MMMMMMMMMmmm

I've got a nice 5l V8 to listen to here. That's a completely different world. Both the inline-6 and V8 have their own charm and both will put a smile on your face. But what is the most harmonic sound though, is a 5-cyl petrol turbo-charged mechanically injected Audi engine.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    I've got a nice 5l V8 to listen to here. That's a completely different world. Both the inline-6 and V8 have their own charm and both will put a smile on your face. But what is the most harmonic sound though, is a 5-cyl petrol turbo-charged mechanically injected Audi engine.

/M

Fiat's 2.0 turbo 5cyl will be very hard to beat in my ears ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

There's actually a few very good breakers for BMW around Ireland and NI. I got lucky in the sense, that BMW Spares in Belfast were breaking a '03 530d MSport Touring when I went looking for MSport parts. I got ALL MSport bits of that with the exception of the bumpers and steering wheel from them. The backbumper I sorted from Railway spares in the north and I went with the Alpina splitter for the front bumper instead, just to be different.

The steering wheel wasn't going to be an issue anyhow.

Another real good source is MPower Parts in Bunclody. He's got everything from E30/E28 up to E46/E39 parts usually and is always a good source. I got most of my M5 interior for the Touring of him.

Exhaust system, westfalia detachable tow-hitch and xenon lights came from a guy specialized in breaking mainly M-cars and high spec BMWs near Shannon.

In between those few, I've sourced the majority of the parts of the rebuild on the emerald isle, with a few bits coming from the UK, Germany and the US.

/M

Whats wrong with using a socket?

• Advertisement

Depends on the top mount but I'd imagine most of them would be the same angle?

I bought 7 of them in my local market out of a bucket for about 8 euro, has done me proud.

To be honest why you really want is a good set of allen keys/device to grip the allen key. Even a power bar with an allen key socket on the end would make life a lot easier.q

Whats wrong with using a socket?

The shock spinning.

The shock spinning.
    Farmers friend... vice grips :D

Or... use a grips to hold the nut and undo with the allen key, same thing really.

Farmers friend... vice grips :D

Or... use a grips to hold the nut and undo with the allen key, same thing really.

Nah, been there done that and bought the t shirt. You'll only ruin you're fingers, the head on the shock, the socket or the allen key.

A set of swan necks is definitely a worthwhile investment.

Edit: Actually, the two points that were removed recently were from me going home to get a set of swan necks to remove a friends shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We got there in the end with a vice grips the last few times but it's a ball really CM, badly skinned fingers you have to grip the nut so tight. I just don't know if there is a standard offset for these spammers or can the depth vary?

Congrats on having the 10,000th post LM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

We got there in the end with a vice grips the last few times but it's a ball really CM, badly skinned fingers you have to grip the nut so tight. I just don't know if there is a standard offset for these spammers or can the depth vary?

Post 10,000 on the chat thread!!! Does ya win a prize??

Yes, I win world domination!

And with that we move onto a new thread found here :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement