Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crapness of your Hometown

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't last a day in Dublin? As in Dublin is some sort of tough area to live? Imagine Ireland didn't have unemployment and single mothers allowance etc. Claiming Dublin is some way tough is laughable. Just because there's a lot of c*nts there, it doesn't make it tough. That kind of label makes people think they can act like thugs and be some how justified because their from the tough city pfffftttt

The point I'm making is that in Dublin they would only be small fry, Its easy to be tough in a gang in a small town but a large city is different, I'v seen plenty of people leave their little towns with their attitudes and come back with their tail between their legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't last a day in Dublin? As in Dublin is some sort of tough area to live? Imagine Ireland didn't have unemployment and single mothers allowance etc. Claiming Dublin is some way tough is laughable. Just because there's a lot of c*nts there, it doesn't make it tough. That kind of label makes people think they can act like thugs and be some how justified because their from the tough city pfffftttt

Well said.

The toughest lads Ive ever met in Dublin are quiet and unassuming.

Mess with them and they would knock you out with a punch.

Dublin has some serious boxers. The gyms in Dublin teach working class lads how to live a decent life and not just how to fight.

The scrawny Dub who mouths off about who he knows and what he will do would shit his pants if you step up to him.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ricero wrote: »
    i honestly believe i live in the best place in Ireland. the dun laoghaire area. beside the sea so can go to the beach, can get boat to england no bother,loads of recreational areas and of course easy access to dublin city and airport

Are you for real?

Dundrum killed Dun laoghaire. Now its just a depressing pile of **** of a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kissthesky

charlemont wrote: »
    Do you ever remember all those guys with shaved heads back in the middle/late 90's ? Some pack of scumbags, They were always around the Main Street on the evenings, I was in a few fights with some of them, Jealous because I was with an ex of one of them.
    No. Moved to London in 91 and then thru the 90's just the odd few days home each year. Know what you mean though. I think I remember one lad in particular though, walking around town giving it the big one from Taxi Driver, as in u lookin at me?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Drogheda is nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be here.

There are some good restaurants, scenery (Millmount) nice surrounding areas (Newgrange), decent shopping, 3/4 nightclubs. The cinema is poor and outdated but you wouldn't run out of things to do quickly.

I remember New Ross from my youth, such an average dull place. Gorey is just a bottleneck town.

Waterford seems alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Not from there, but Youghal. How can a town with such a beautiful beach be so dreary and dull? Stand on the beach, turn around towards the town and take in all the grey. Goddammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Tipperary Town sounds like something else, I'm intrigued! I actually want to visit it now just to see if the stories are true and it really is that bad :p

Thankfully I actually like my home town (Sligo,) and I kind of resent when people berate a place because it doesn't have the obligatory number of shopping centres, night clubs or 'things to do.' But I would look at things like aesthetics, social problems or just a vibe a place gives off. With that in mind I would definitely class Longford as a category A kip. It's drab and overrun with knackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Aquila wrote: »
    Portlaoise
    /thread.

Portlaoise was never much cop as a place, but it's gone to the dogs altogether since so many Dubs moved in. :eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I love my home town and I love where I live now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Nobody can top Navan? Seriously?

I live in Monasterevin. When you go down Main street it is a depressing line of closed down shops one after the other broken by the odd brave soul still working away at it. The Dublin Road, the old M7 in other words is a road that is basically a few derelict buildings again broken by a few brave souls (pubs take aways a hairdresser)

We all got excited because the Hazel was re-opening and if you are 60+ I hear it's great!

Then there is the infamous St. Evins Park ... a bomb couldn't sort it.

Best of all is a trip to the post office just about any morning, full of tracker knack*rs out to get their scratcher and not a looker among the bunch.

There is not one thing to do in this place, not a decent restaurant and if you are not into pubs then in order to have a night out you have to leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

I'd say Mallow is pretty average on the crapness scale. Has a reputation in Cork for being a bit rough but really it's not any worse than other towns it's size. There are a few decent restaurants and pubs there. Only problem I find with is that it still has a pretty small town mentality, despite growing in size in the past few years.

If, God love you, you absolutely have to be based in north Cork than Mallow is probably the best place to be. Best thing about it is still the train station though; 25 minutes to Cork and all the Cork-to-Dublin trains stop there.

Funnily enough, I remember being in Tipp town about 10 years ago and thinking it seemed like quite a nice place. I was only about 11 or so though.

Newcastle West

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Granard, Co Longford has to be the most depressing town in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

flyswatter wrote: »

There are some good restaurants, scenery (Millmount) nice surrounding areas (Newgrange), decent shopping, 3/4 nightclubs. The cinema is poor and outdated but you wouldn't run out of things to do quickly.

I remember New Ross from my youth, such an average dull place. Gorey is just a bottleneck town.

Waterford seems alright.

Ever been to rathmullen in Drogheda ????
    Makes Beirut look like Disneyland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Speaking of Tipperary. Carrick on Suir is a kip, just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nenagh, sure even the name in Irish means market town

Used to be a busy bustling place, now it's depressing

Dead and dying these days, looks like a dreary town from Dev's Ireland

The dole office is about the size of a chipper so people have to queue outside.
    And the CBS is up the road so you queue for your dole and six hundred students walk past at lunch looking at you.
    That's not good at all :o

There is development and investment but it's all big shops on the outside. Meanwhile the centre dies.
    And not much good if you don't drive

Still, it's pretty quiet and just would not compare to the hellhole that is Tipp town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Portlaoise was never much cop as a place, but it's gone to the dogs altogether since so many Dubs moved in. :eek::eek::eek:

Hurry up and die you old oxygen thief. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

flyswatter wrote: »

Waterford seems alright.

Ever been to rathmullen in Drogheda ????
    Makes Beirut look like Disneyland
    Yeah, it has the towns best swimming pool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

CK75 wrote: »
    New Ross - the most depressing town in Ireland. Full of closed/boarded up shops, so grey and grim! Only good thing in it is the bridge to Waterford!
    Wexford town isn't much better, shops closed everywhere, litter, dire parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

as a visitor

Tipp town positives

• 25m swimming pool deep enough for/allows diving
    • running track
    • glen of aherlow, dundrum woods nearby
    • 2 of three chippers serve a decent chip

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭maximoose

Carrickfergus.

Not a bad place at all. Would be a great wee town if it wasn't for the scum factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

<< :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Are you for real?

Dundrum killed Dun laoghaire. Now its just a depressing pile of **** of a town.

its took the shopping away from the town i admit that but its still better than over half the towns in ireland.

all dun laoghaire needs is a complete revamp of the worst shopping centre in dublin and it be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Dublin is like Bangkok with smaller buildings and more shemales..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

ricero wrote: »
    its took the shopping away from the town i admit that but its still better than over half the towns in ireland.

all dun laoghaire needs is a complete revamp of the worst shopping centre in dublin and it be grand

I believe that the worst shopping centre in Dublin is the Irish Life Mall on Talbot St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

statina wrote: »
    Granard, Co Longford has to be the most depressing town in Ireland!

I have never heard of it.. and I thought I knew the country :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I'm living in Tralee for the past few years. There was an incident in a local landfill earlier this week and a huge swarm of flies has descended on the town.
    Beat that for crappiness

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I like the fact I can picture EXACTLY what they are singing about.
    phasers wrote: »
    clondalkin is a modern day Eden, a cultural and social paradise.

:pac:

At least it has regular buses to get out of it.
    None of ye obviously grew up in Tuam, the dogs on the streets go around in pairs. Its a traveller paradise though.

:( It's not the bad. Maybe I'm brainwashed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

kissthesky wrote: »
    Tipp town - insular,inward looking,parochial,suspicous,passive aggressive,gossipy,materialistic,greedy,grubby,inverted snobbery,violent,oppressive
    I cant help these adjectives comin to mind when I think of the town

Excellent post. I really got a great laugh out of it.

I just pictured some auld fella sitting on a bar stool in some dump of a pub in Tipperary displaying all of those emotions and characteristics one after the other.

Advertisement