Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else get inspired by looking at a city landscape, or nature

• 04-03-2012 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Just looking at the scenery, it inspires me to think better and realize there is a lot more to life than I know.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There was this mountain I once saw in Spain. Just this loan peak out in the middle of a barren wasteland, standing completly on it's own.

I was so inspired by the oddness of it, the singularity of it, that I ended up using it as the setting for my first attempt at a novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Living in Limerick has inspired me to leave the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I am by looking at 'sky'scapes and clouds.

I'm lucky I live in the country and can see the Wicklow mountains behind me and lovely fields all around with rabbits and foxes and deer and red squirrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Dublin...............

Nope. Still looks like a pile of steaming sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yep...anytime I have been in New York I have felt inspired by the scenary and energy of the place...some day I will do something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,329 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

William Wordsworth. Composed upon Westminster Bridge, September 3, 1802.

Earth hath not anything to show more fair:
    Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
    A sight so touching in its majesty:
    This City now doth, like a garment, wear
    The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,
    Ships, towers, domes, theatres and temples lie
    Open unto the fields, and to the sky;
    All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.

Never did sun more beautifully steep
    In his first splendor, valley, rock, or hill;
    Ne'er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!
    The river glideth at his own sweet will:
    Dear God! The very houses seem asleep;
    And all that mighty heart is lying still!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

I could sit looking for hours at beautiful scenery on a nice day.. peaceful

• Registered Users Posts: 32,880 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Water does it for me every time. Lakes. Especially Glendalough and Killarney.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Nature (lakes, sea, beaches, cliffs, mountains and in particular the night sky): yes

Cities : nope. If anything the suburban sprawl depresses me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

being up the Donegal mountains changed my whole feelings on Ireland and from a young age as well on how I view cities.

Give me the mountains and country-side any day. cities are headache makers, big grey buildings that look like puke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

No

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Just looking at the scenery, it inspires me to think better and realize there is a lot more to life than I know.

Not only that there a lot more to life than I can imagine right at that point,
    but also that whatever may seem like a difficult problem to overcome at that point in time, just seems easier to manage after a hike/mountain-climb/even just spending time sitting relaxing looking out over the lakes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Where I work in Dublin you can go to the top of the building and the view is amazing. I must actually take a picture on my phone and upload it.

But I think I prefer looking at the countryside.
    Last year I helped restore an old cottage. It was so calming to look over into the mountainous countryside during the afternoon and just listening to the faint noise of distant animals was actually quite soothing.

That's actually one of the great things about where I live. I can be in Dublin city center in about 15mins or be in the countryside than even less than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I used to go climbing and hiking a lot when I was a teenager. I loved being up in the Wicklow mountains looking down on the city during sunset. A city of 2 million people laid out in front of you. On the other cliffs, and waves so far down that you can't hear them, you can't hear anything. It a profound silence and it's a beautiful peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Scenery can be as nice as it wants, were all still thinking bout gee, sweet sweet gee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I like scenery, especially anywhere near water as in a canal, a river, a lake, or the sea. There a peace about it and I am drawn to it.

I have always regarded Dublin as an ugly city, but tourists always tell me differently.

PS I am a Dub,

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

I love landscapes and all the lovely moments outdoors you get, especially on a sunny day in Ireland for example.
    Just like I never forget a face, I always remember moments in the outdoors where I saw really impressive scenes in nature. It may sound lame, but I don't care! NATURE ROCKS!

Have been to a few places and my favourite moment of all time was in the Swiss Alps on the "Hoernlihuette" which is a little hut for hikers and climbers at the bottom of the Matterhorn at around 3000m height. The morning when I woke up at that height seeing a sunrise was the most impressive ever! Can only imagine what the Mont Blanc sunrise must be like, for example.
    Always found mountain ranges very very impressive. But cliffs in Ireland are as well.
    I guess I'll never be able to decide which ones I like better, mountains or seaside?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

44leto wrote: »
    I like scenery, especially anywhere near water as in a canal, a river, a lake, or the sea. There a peace about it and I am drawn to it.

I have always regarded Dublin as an ugly city, but tourists always tell me differently.

PS I am a Dub,

Im a Dub too and I used to think dublin was an ugly city too, but then I gave it a proper try, a closer look and I found that while its no paris or london it still has many many historic and beautiful buildings, merrion square, grafton street, stephens green area is stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jobo32

Nature yes. City - inspiring? No. Like to look up at trees from right below at tje trunk. Or look backwards down a path I have just walked. A different perspective can offer so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

I guess if you were an architect. But as I'm not, no. Though I do love looking out into Dublin when it's busy and I'm several stories up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

It's what I try to do on my days off. Grab the and go to the lake, or hike up into the hills. I'm a fat fsck so its not for exercise, but one day of that sets me up for a.week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I like looking at the skyscrapers that are around me on my way to work in the morning particularly some of the new ones in the City of London. They give a sense of the pinnacle of mankind's achievement.

Yet, looking at nature is something completely different. It shows the hand of God. Man can only go so far, technology is racing ahead all the time, indeed, it's something I'm very passionate about I love it, but we'll never outsmart God. That takes me back a little bit also, that we can come into relationship with Him rather than being bogged down with the mere passions of mankind swaying one way or the other.

Both feelings are powerful, and help me to put into perspective what is going on around me.

I like hiking and walking, also. Had a great walk out from the city into the countryside quite recently on a sunny day. Took a long time, but was definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yeah I was passing by Errigal on the road to Letterkenny the other day and realised that we actually live in a really beautiful country. Amazing views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Anywhere on the west coast, looking towards the sea on a warm summers evening. Absolute bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Ever since I first remember my proper gaze up at the stars I have always been completely taken the night sky. There are certain nights, often quite cold where it seems ultra clear with different textures, tints of blue and silvers, adding depth and an awesomeness. I often take night walks as late at 12, 1, just to hear the din of the night, the crisp air and just take in the sights, on a clear night of course.
    I'm always impressed during some evenings as the sun is setting just behind huge cloud cover, often quite blue on the horizon while the rest of the sky is clear, very spectacular but easily overlooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

philologos wrote: »
    Yet, looking at nature is something completely different. It shows the hand of God. Man can only go so far, technology is racing ahead all the time, indeed, it's something I'm very passionate about I love it, but we'll never outsmart God. That takes me back a little bit also, that we can come into relationship with Him rather than being bogged down with the mere passions of mankind swaying one way or the other.

Crow-bar the aul' Goddy stuff in there why dontcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I was raised in the city but now live in the country. Just looking at a sunset out the kitchen window calms me. I feel claustrophobic when I go to my mothers house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I grew up completely in the country. And to be quite honest, I find the countryside to be terribly monotonous at times.
    However, I visited Colorado, and ever since I am semi-obsessed with the desert.
    Cities are a lot more interesting to me than the countryside. I see something interesting in pretty much everything from Soviet apartment blocks to expanses of dull suburban housing.
    Cities make me think, the countryside, not so much.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I went for a walk in the park once and heard noises coming out of the bushes. It inspired me to call the gards.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Peace out, dude. That's groovy!

Advertisement