Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Nope can't say that you upset me, I just have a low tolerance level for morons - I know its a failing of mine but I'll try harder.

That's the second time I've come across one of your snide little remarks and its boring me, I wouldn't mind if it was even funny..
    You sure bro?
    You seem upset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Felexicon wrote: »
    You sure bro?
    You seem upset

I'll be fine but thanks! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

Hammerarcher I was just going by what I was told by him. He was telling me that he has followed meath for years looked like he was in his late sixties and that he never misses a meath match. His grandson was there with him to and backed up what his grandfather was saying which was sherdian hadnt been starting for meath at all. Quick to remind me to never count meath out until the final whistle when the two goals went in however I was just as quick to remind them this is a new era for kildare football and a kildare team made of steel when lyons got his point. haha :)
    As I said was going by what they told me if it was knowing for sometime that he was going for work reasons and his mind wouldnt be changed. As he was going out there to work permanetly. Why did meath pull out all the stops to get him back. Did a u-turn quickly. So to sum up sherdian left Meath when he wasnt starting skipped over the end of league and in the matter of a few weeks is back in starting mind you for the glorious part of the year.
    You asked me what has Joe got to do with the sj transfer? well My answer is..Sj is been slated on here for being a so called "spoilt child" thats yer opinion its not mine. If yer going to brand him this I am going to highlight another intercounty player who has possibly thrown a tantrum and has gotten what he wants but I ask you would you cast a stone at him.

Your giving the benefit of the doubt to joe and his move and telling me that the above is wrong and that this is isnt the case. Well then I think it's fair to say that johnston also shouldnt be branded a spoilt child until the true facts behind johnstons move are known.

It's said why would a well oiled machine like kildare what him to come in? Well I dont believe this whole idea that johnston coming in would disgruntle the kildare players. Seem happy enough to have him there. Once he works as heard as they do. There seems to be no problem at all and if your on twitter a few backing him there also. The whole johnston is going to upset everything in the camp agruement doesnt wash with me at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Hammerarcher I was just going by what I was told by him. He was telling me that he has followed meath for years looked like he was in his late sixties and that he never misses a meath match. His grandson was there with him to and backed up what his grandfather was saying which was sherdian hadnt been starting for meath at all. Quick to remind me to never count meath out until the final whistle when the two goals went in however I was just as quick to remind them this is a new era for kildare football and a kildare team made of steel when lyons got his point. haha :)
    As I said was going by what they told me if it was knowing for sometime that he was going for work reasons and his mind wouldnt be changed why did meath pull out all the stops to get him back. From what I was told by them it would be my opinion that sherdian left Meath in turmoil when he wasnt starting skipped over the end of league and in the matter of a few weeks is back in starting mind you for the glorious part of the year.
    You asked me what has Joe got to do with the sj transfer? well My answer is..Sj is been slated on here for being a so called "spoilt child" thats yer opinion its not mine. If yer going to brand him this I am going to highlight another intercounty player who has thrown a tantrum and imo has gotten what he wants but I ask you would you cast a stone at him.
    It's said why would a well oiled machine like kildare what him to come in? Well I dont believe this whole idea that johnston coming in would disgruntle the kildare players. There clearly backing him look at there body language.There happy to have hime there. Once he works as heard as they do. There seems to be no problem at all and if your on twitter a few backing him there also. The whole johnston is going to upset everything in the camp agruement doesnt wash with me at all.

your whole argument about Sheridan was debunked, but yet you are still harping on about it as if their situations are comparable. Sheridan has no previous of acting in his own selfish reasons, Johnston does. They are in no way similar, and even if they are, Sheridan is back playing for Meath. Where is Johnston? Hammerarcher didnt start the spoilt child tag, that was labelled at Andrews and the Cavan Co Board, and turned about to say that if anyone should be labelled that, its Johnston.

I have edited my last point so maybe what im trying to say will come across better.;)

• Advertisement

I said branded on here as a spoilt child.
    Hammer just asked me a few questions so I was responding to him. Sure I know it was the cavan board who were called it orginally but now it has switched to Johnston.
    You say that my opinion as an outsider out of meath looking at joes transfer to boston is debunked. I openly admitted above that I was told by meath supporters that he wasnt starting. If when leaving he was guaranteed a starting place when he returned from the US in the future well then what can I say. Of course he would return to meath sure where else would he go??? in time to play championship football with meath.
    Your telling me im wrong about the joe transfer to boston and back to meath again. Of course I could well be.. Could well be based on idle gossip/speculation which I formed when hearing the meath supporters and when I heard of joe's plans. Of course I could well be but then I tell you that it's also wrong to label and brand Johnston a "spoilt child" based on opinions formed through hearsay also. It is only fair that Johnston gets the benefit of the doubt to. No one knows the true facts of this case.

I said branded on here as a spoilt child.
    Hammer just asked me a few questions so I was responding to him. Sure I know it was the cavan board who were called it orginally but now it has switched to Johnston.
    You say that my opinion as an outsider out of meath looking at joes transfer to boston is debunked. I openly admitted above that I was told by meath supporters that he wasnt starting. If when leaving he was guaranteed a starting place when he returned from the US in the future well then what can I say. Of course he would return to meath sure where else would he go??? in time to play championship football with meath.
    Your telling me im wrong about the joe transfer to boston and back to meath again. Of course I could well be.. Could well be based on idle gossip/speculation which I formed when hearing the meath supporters and when I heard of joe's plans. Of course I could well be but then I tell you that it's also wrong to label and brand Johnston a "spoilt child" based on opinions formed through hearsay also. It is only fair that Johnston gets the benefit of the doubt to. No one knows the true facts of this case.

true facts:
    1. Johsnton was dropped by Cavan management
    2. Johnston tried to transfer to Kildare, but stay with Cavan Gaels
    3. Transfer refused. Johsnton then tries to transfer to St Kevins.
    4. Johnston works in Cavan town.
    5. Johnston is openly training and making himself known to be a part of the Kildare set up, despite no transfer being approved.

No one is calling hima spoilt child. The quote in question was
    I find it slightly ironic that you use the analogy of "a spoilt child". There is one party in this saga that could be likened to a spoilt child, and it ain't the Cavan board/management.
    which is hard to disagree with.

Why you felt the need to bring Joe Sheridan into this debate I dont know, as the situations are clearly no wehere near the same, and has nothing whatsoever to do with it other than you trying to paint others in a bad light. And on the underlined bit, 'where else would he go', well seeing as Johnston is manufacturing a transfer, surely if every player feels agrieved he could try the same thing if they fall out with a manager of a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

bruschi wrote: »
    true facts:
    1. Johsnton was dropped by Cavan management
    2. Johnston tried to transfer to Kildare, but stay with Cavan Gaels
    3. Transfer refused. Johsnton then tries to transfer to St Kevins.
    4. Johnston works in Cavan town.
    5. Johnston is openly training and making himself known to be a part of the Kildare set up, despite no transfer being approved.

No one is calling hima spoilt child. The quote in question was which is hard to disagree with.

Why you felt the need to bring Joe Sheridan into this debate I dont know, as the situations are clearly no wehere near the same, and has nothing whatsoever to do with it other than you trying to paint others in a bad light. And on the underlined bit, 'where else would he go', well seeing as Johnston is manufacturing a transfer, surely if every player feels agrieved he could try the same thing if they fall out with a manager of a team.

Just like Larry did so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

lilywhite, you ask why did Meath pull out all the stops to get Joe Sheridan back? Do you really have to ask that question having seen our season so far? I know the county board tried their hardest before he left to secure him a job in Ireland (and succeeded) but he still decided to head off to the US. I was as surprised as anyone when it came out that he was coming back so soon. My suspicions are that the county board secured him a job that was too good to turn down. Or it could be possible that Joe Sheridan simply missed home.

Whoever you talked to at the game in Navan obviously hadn't heard the whispers that a lot of Meath fans had. I first heard rumours that Joe Sheridan was moving to the US before the league even started which explains why Joe Sheridan wasn't starting in the league. Why would he when he was intending to leave halfway through the league (which he was well entitled to do by the way). His replacement when he left would have been thrown into the deep end if Joe had started the first 4 games.

And I think there's a massive difference in likening a player to a spoilt child thanks to hearing the opinions of two (uninformed by the sounds of it) fans at a game and doing it after there's been so much media coverage of the Johnston case where a large portion of the facts surrounding the case are well known.
    And finally, to echo bruschi's point, I am not saying Johnston acted like a spoilt child. A poster said this about the Cavan board/ and/or management. I merely stated that if one party in all this could be likened to a spoilt child, it wasn't the Cavan board.
    Another ironic thing (touched on by bruschi again) is your "where else would he go?" point given the topic in hand.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just heard there on kfm that the gaa have granted the move. He'll be a st kevins player later on.

• Advertisement

beertons wrote: »
    Just heard there on kfm that the gaa have granted the move. He'll be a st kevins player later on.

Yea but not a Kildare one till next year

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Indeed. Will be registered as a St Kevins player this morning. Welcome on board Seanie.

largepants wrote: »
    Yea but not a Kildare one till next year

Incorrect. He must play championship at a grade similar to what he's played in Cavan. No one said anything about it being football. Again lack of rules in the GAA. Either way St Kevins will probably have a football championship game brought forward to accommodate him.

Atleast it can be put to bed now.

But on a serious note I hope this case brings to light the serious problems within the transfer process for all players and the GAA look at cutting out some of the ordeal and cut down the amount of appeals commitees available after a request has been denied

To Alcohol wrote: »

Personally I'd kick the ****er back over to Cavan and I'm not alone thinking that.

Indeed. Will be registered as a St Kevins player this morning. Welcome on board Seanie.

:rolleyes:

Incorrect. He must play championship at a grade similar to what he's played in Cavan. No one said anything about it being football. Again lack of rules in the GAA. Either way St Kevins will probably have a football championship game brought forward to accommodate him.

And why should one particular club be inconvenienced by one individual? This should be about the best for Kildare GAA and not SJ. If that means he's not eligible to play till 2013 then so be it.

And why should one particular club be inconvenienced by one individual? This should be about the best for Kildare GAA and not SJ. If that means he's not eligible to play till 2013 then so be it.
    I don't think he was making the point that they should move it forward. More that the KCB will probably do so in order to allow Johnston be available for selection if the management team wish

bruschi wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Good spot lad. But its fair to say I felt he was treated very badly by the CCCC and thus my stance on the whole transfer has changed. And I'm not the only one to take this stance.

Very fair point. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

from the irish examiner.
    Johnston club transfer to Kildare approved
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 09:27 AM

Seanie Johnston's appeal to join Kildare club St Kevins has been upheld meaning the ex-Cavan forward could play with the Lillywhites this summer.

The GAA’s Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) on Friday last turned down his transfer request to St Kevin’s, Staplestown from Cavan Gaels.

Subsequent appeals were also rejected but it has been confirmed that the move was finally allowed last night.

The current rules mean that Johnston would have to play for his club before lining out for the county whose Championship opener is against Offaly on June 17.

While no club games are scheduled before that date it is possible some matches maybe arranged.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/johnston-club-transfer-to-kildare-approved-552701.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,410 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sad to see the situation where a great player has to leave his own county to play the game we all love. Andrew's legacy in Cavan might haunt the G.A.A. for a long time to come. It's a sad day for football.

Sad to see the situation where a great player has to leave his own county to play the game we all love. ....
    you mean like the year that in mid championship when Cavan were preparing for their next game Seanie decides to leave his county in the lurch to play the game he loves in the USA instead for the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

you mean like the year that in mid championship when Cavan were preparing for their next game Seanie decides to leave his county in the lurch to play the game he loves in the USA instead for the summer?

Play what in the US??

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dougal-maguire

Play what in the US??

in 05 him and 2 other players went to the US before the qualifiers(anyone remember,was it before the qualifiers or just before the mayo game?),to play ball.

munchkin_utd,it was a let down that they went at such a time,but at the end of the day they're amatuer players,and i wouldnt hold it against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

As have 100's of intercountuy players, infact two of Tipps best footballers have already departed for the summer this year, nobody holds it against them, and I dont remember anyone making much of a fuss about Johnson at the time but now its been used to muddy he's character.

Seanie was a student at the time and most likely had student loans that needed paying, he availed of the opportunity of earning a few bob in America to do this, fair fcuks to him!

As have 100's of intercountuy players, infact two of Tipps best footballers have already departed for the summer this year, nobody holds it against them, and I dont remember anyone making much of a fuss about Johnson at the time but now its been used to muddy he's character.
    eh?
    from gaa boards at the time
    Very dissappointing news. Brady and Johnstone shouldn't be let play for Cavan again if this is true, if they had told mgt at the start of the year that this was their intention then they wouldn't be on the panel in the first place so to spring this on the other players and mgt now is just taking the piss and sticking the two fingers up at anyone who is committed about Cavan football. Maybe the rumours about Larry and McCabe quitting aren't too wide of the mark either..
    Very surprised and disappointed with the news.

On one hand I accept that young people like Johnston deserve the chance to travel before they commit to the restrains of the real world. But on the other (much heavier at this point) hand how can these guys just up sticks and leave their team-mates and county during a championship campaign.
    http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?

PHPSESSID=4a44880db9359230e3408c8a799ce8ca&topic=53.990

the main issue wasnt the leaving as such, it was just deciding mid season to give up on the county team when they were STILL in the championship.
    Going before or after is completely different. Or to even say I'm playing till a certain date. But he just ran off. Did a Tevez on the whole situation .

If I remember right though Brady has flagged it well in advance that he would have to play handball in the summer. And to be fair to him, thats his living that pays his mortage and bills and he's always put it first and made no bones about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Seanie was a student at the time and most likely had student loans that needed paying, he availed of the opportunity of earning a few bob in America to do this, fair fcuks to him!

Said I wouldn't post on this thread again but the chance to see you look like an idiot again is too much of a draw. I'll post because its not in reference to the thread subject, just in reference to showing you for the clown you are again.

www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=78707

The then manager Donal Keoghan certainly made a fuss:

Cavan manager Donal Keoghan has told Paul Brady and Seanie Johnston that
    they will never play under him again following their ... Keoghan said a third
    unnamed player is leaving too, though a Cavan ... “Any fella that goes away to
    America won't be wearing a Cavan jersey again while I'm in charge"

Do yourself a favour and stop posting on topics that you clearly know nothing about.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Said I wouldn't post on this thread again but the chance to see you look like an idiot again is too much of a draw. I'll post because its not in reference to the thread subject, just in reference to showing you for the clown you are again.

www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=78707

The then manager Donal Keoghan certainly made a fuss:

Do yourself a favour and stop posting on topics that you clearly know nothing about.
    Have to say I remember this being a fairly big story at the time.
    There was a lenghty discussion about on the Sunday Game one night aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I remember Keoghan saying that at the time yes, I actually was speaking about the general Cavan supporter base, off course there was some discontent with the move, loosing your star player was hardly going to be welcomed, but alot of the Cavan people I know were understanding about it aswell.

Keoghan is quoted there as saying Brady would never play again for Cavan either, so am I right to assume Brady is a semi-hate figure throughout Cavan now aswell, or like the CCCC is it one rule for Johnson and one rule for the rest????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I would like to remind folks to remain civil when discussing topics. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056280122

The link is for the forum charter. Read it please folks. Anyone personally abusing someone else will be banned for 1 week.

Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement