Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what marshall amp

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

like the guitar myself, one set up it should be lovely.

on the amp, you are in an apartment and presumably thats where you will play mostly, i would caution you that the 5 watt tube marshal or blackstar are very loud.

I was going to get a 5 watt but got the 1 watt blackstar ht1R instead, even that doesn't get turned up past 5 at home but does give GREAT sounds.

you would save a lot on your budget and when you start gigging the way things are headed you will be playing through a modeller di'ed through the pa!!:)

Anyway christmass is coming for you! enjoy and best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

like the guitar myself, one set up it should be lovely.

on the amp, you are in an apartment and presumably thats where you will play mostly, i would caution you that the 5 watt tube marshal or blackstar are very loud.

I was going to get a 5 watt but got the 1 watt blackstar ht1R instead, even that doesn't get turned up past 5 at home but does give GREAT sounds.

you would save a lot on your budget and when you start gigging the way things are headed you will be playing through a modeller di'ed through the pa!!:)

Anyway christmass is coming for you! enjoy and best of luck

On this point - invest in a decent pair of headphones! I rarely get to properly play my ht-5 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

efla wrote: »
    On this point - invest in a decent pair of headphones! I rarely get to properly play my ht-5 :(
    But it has a volume control! ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Bluefoam wrote: »
    But it has a volume control! ?

Living in an apartment with thin walls or a house with others makes it impossible to turn up far. Playing with any level of distortion on my ht-5 requires turning the volume a hairs width to get it right, and even at that it is usually too quiet for anything approaching decent tone - it sounds much better through my headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

No need to worry about the volume of the Class 5 - it has a lower power output which allows you to crank the volume knob to 10 and get maximum distortion without excessive volume. It is actually the headphones output that drives the speaker in this mode, but it can drive any loudspeaker perfectly well - either the built-in speaker or a separate cabinet. I use mine in lower power mode to power a 300 Watt 4x12 and it sounds great.

Bluefoam, the problem people are referring to with the volume is due to the fact that the volume on a valve amp is not quite the same as the volume on a solid state. With most solid state amps, you can have the tone you want and the level of distortion you want at any volume. With valve amps, you can't - they only produce their best tones and maximum distortion levels at fairly high volume settings. That is the reason for the rise in popularity of low power valve amps. Too many people have gone out and bought 50 or 100 Watt valve amps, only to discover that they can't turn them up past 1 or 1.5, and at that level they get a very mediocre tone can can in fact be replicated by a cheaper solid state amp. Plus, they get very little distortion and often have to go and buy a distortion pedal as well.

5 Watts is still an awful lot of volume - I can't really get mine past 2 or 2.5 when I'm on the full power mode. Luckily, the Class 5 gives a fantastic clean tone at that volume level, which is one thing that sets it apart from the bigger Marshalls (bigger Marshalls are only good for high levels of overdrive in my opinion). Plus, as I mentioned, if you have to have that cranked, fully distorted sound, you can switch over to low power mode and crank it up to 10.

• Advertisement

firefly08 wrote: »
    No need to worry about the volume of the Class 5 - it has a lower power output which allows you to crank the volume knob to 10 and get maximum distortion without excessive volume. It is actually the headphones output that drives the speaker in this mode, but it can drive any loudspeaker perfectly well - either the built-in speaker or a separate cabinet. I use mine in lower power mode to power a 300 Watt 4x12 and it sounds great.

Bluefoam, the problem people are referring to with the volume is due to the fact that the volume on a valve amp is not quite the same as the volume on a solid state. With most solid state amps, you can have the tone you want and the level of distortion you want at any volume. With valve amps, you can't - they only produce their best tones and maximum distortion levels at fairly high volume settings. That is the reason for the rise in popularity of low power valve amps. Too many people have gone out and bought 50 or 100 Watt valve amps, only to discover that they can't turn them up past 1 or 1.5, and at that level they get a very mediocre tone can can in fact be replicated by a cheaper solid state amp. Plus, they get very little distortion and often have to go and buy a distortion pedal as well.

5 Watts is still an awful lot of volume - I can't really get mine past 2 or 2.5 when I'm on the full power mode. Luckily, the Class 5 gives a fantastic clean tone at that volume level, which is one thing that sets it apart from the bigger Marshalls (bigger Marshalls are only good for high levels of overdrive in my opinion). Plus, as I mentioned, if you have to have that cranked, fully distorted sound, you can switch over to low power mode and crank it up to 10.
    Thanks, that's extensive and answers allot of questions for me. It really does sound the a good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I have a Vht Special 6 on the way, apparently does the Marshall crunch at blues perfectly, and it's extremely cheap.

I'll post results and a few clips in the next couple of days, should have it by the end of the week.

So, my oder is placed. I've had a world of trouble with Thomann since. They won't answer emails, are full of promises on the phone, but don't follow through.

Anyway, the order has been addressed incorrectly and is possibly going to cost me an extra €250, due to local tax anomalies...

The stuff was sent out 8 hours after I placed the order, but I had caught the mistake 5 mins after I had sent the order & I spent the day trying to get a response. I am not happy with the situation and will possibly reject the order on arrival...

On another note, I have ordered a guitar stand & after doing some more research I have discovered that the guitar does in fact have a nitro finish, even though its not a high lacquer finish like other models. The stand has the following warning:
    not recommended for guitars with nitro lacquer

Will this be a problem?
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/millenium_gs2001e.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

They seem to say that about most stands, perhaps to limit their liability.

The truth is that I wouldn´t trust most stands with any kind of nitro finish unless it states specifically that it is nitro-safe. Even then, I´d probably look for more information online.

It´s an easy problem to resolve though. Just fix cotton wool to the stand on all the contact points with the guitar and make sure that the guitar rests on them at all times and you´ll be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Anyway, the order has been addressed incorrectly and is possibly going to cost me an extra €250, due to local tax anomalies...

The stuff was sent out 8 hours after I placed the order, but I had caught the mistake 5 mins after I had sent the order & I spent the day trying to get a response. I am not happy with the situation and will possibly reject the order on arrival...

What do you mean when you say ´local tax anomalies´? This within the EU so surely it shouldn´t be an issue.

• Advertisement

Ravelleman wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say ´local tax anomalies´? This within the EU so surely it shouldn´t be an issue.

I'm living in the Middle East.

Everything has finally arrived and is more or less in one peice (see thomann thread for details) I'm playing around with settings etc as I sit here and about to find some basic YouTube beginners vids... There is one thing I'd like to ask; the toggle switch for treble/rythm has 3 positions - but it doesn't seem to lock in either the rythm or middle positions very solidly. Also I thought the middle position was to play both pickups, but it doesn't play anything in this position.... Advice welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

There is one thing I'd like to ask; the toggle switch for treble/rythm has 3 positions - but it doesn't seem to lock in either the rythm or middle positions very solidly. Also I thought the middle position was to play both pickups, but it doesn't play anything in this position.... Advice welcomed.

Well the switch doesn't exactly "lock" but it should stay where you put it. A slight tip should be enough to make it go into whichever position you want.

If it's in the middle then it should use both pickups, but both volume controls have to be turned up.

firefly08 wrote: »
    There is one thing I'd like to ask; the toggle switch for treble/rythm has 3 positions - but it doesn't seem to lock in either the rythm or middle positions very solidly. Also I thought the middle position was to play both pickups, but it doesn't play anything in this position.... Advice welcomed.

Well the switch doesn't exactly "lock" but it should stay where you put it. A slight tip should be enough to make it go into whichever position you want.

If it's in the middle then it should use both pickups, but both volume controls have to be turned up.
    Thanks, that is exactly right. Just need it to make the right noises now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Jesus I wish I had this kind of gear when I was a beginner.

Advertisement