Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cable question

• 05-02-2011 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

ok, was thinking of running an ethernet cable down to the far end of my house... i would need a 50m cable by the time i'm finished going up and down walls....not knowing a lot.... would the distance effect the strength of the broadband... i know you can get things that'll plug into a socket and run it over the electric cables.. but the cheaper option (and maybe better option) is what i was wondering about...
    thanks in advance
    andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

andyone wrote: »
    ok, was thinking of running an ethernet cable down to the far end of my house... i would need a 50m cable by the time i'm finished going up and down walls....not knowing a lot.... would the distance effect the strength of the broadband... i know you can get things that'll plug into a socket and run it over the electric cables.. but the cheaper option (and maybe better option) is what i was wondering about...
    thanks in advance
    andy

Regular CAT 5e ethernet cable runs can be up to 100m, although 90m is often used as a practical upper limit to allow for additional short patch leads at either end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pingpipe

Have you considered a secure wireless router instead? That might be less expensive (and less hassle) than running all that wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭andyone

pingpipe wrote: »
    Have you considered a secure wireless router instead? That might be less expensive (and less hassle) than running all that wire.

i have a secure wireless router. . but the signal won't reach the far end of my bungalow. . i had planned to run the cable down to another wireless router down that end so that the bedrooms could enjoy a wireless signal too. .

can anyone tell me the difference in the cable that would say do an xbox connection and the shielded type that is way more expensive. .

thank you so far
    Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

You won't need shielded for a cable run in a house, that's only needed in industry situations to protect the cable physcially and from interference from other systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭andyone

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    You won't need shielded for a cable run in a house, that's only needed in industry situations to protect the cable physcially
    and from interference from other systems.

happy days thank you. . just bought a 50m and a 30m of ebay 20 euro which includes postage and packaging. . I'll run the 50 where it needs to go and run the 30 into the other sitting room for when the wife throws
    me out of main room to watch corrie. .

thanks again lads:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement