Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

At least somebody is taking the piss out of it already

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

I see now that the film is in 3d. Sorry if its already been asked, becuase I've been avoiding this thread like a plague, but was the film shot in 3d?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I see now that the film is in 3d. Sorry if its already been asked, becuase I've been avoiding this thread like a plague, but was the film shot in 3d?
    It was indeed.

Apparently the film has garnered one or two early poor reviews. It's at 22\100 on some site, I'm on my phone so will try to post more info when I get to a computer. I don't think there's a need to panic though as the same site had it at 90\100 a few days earlier, so in all likeliness only a handful of reviews have been regisered.

EDIT it was the BFCA. One of the reviewers who gave it a bad review is Jennifer Merin, who apparently is a tough one to please anyway:

http://www.criticschoice.com/members/jmerin/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's very hard to tell what to make of the lack of early reviews. On one hand it could be that they simply want to avoid a leak by any means necessary (as a big budget R-rated blockbuster needs every ticket sale it can get). On the other Fox may genuinely be terrified by what they have on their hands - whether the content is too 'bold' and divisive or the film simply isn't very good.

Still, there's a fortnight left 'til release in the US so we can't expect too many reviews filtering in yet from the major critics. The embargo is obviously very harsh indeed - I know the press screening in Dublin isn't until Tuesday or Wednesday, which is quite late for a major blockbuster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Arciphel

The press screening is in Dublin on Thursday morning at half ten, I have a ticket. Fox are v. confident that they have a hit on their hands. I know somebody who works for Fox and they have seen the theatrical cut and they said it was a great film, and they are neither sci-fi nor Alien fans. I think it's going to be a critical and box office success. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Arciphel wrote: »
    The press screening is in Dublin on Thursday morning at half ten, I have a ticket. Fox are v. confident that they have a hit on their hands. I know somebody who works for Fox and they have seen the theatrical cut and they said it was a great film, and they are neither sci-fi nor Alien fans. I think it's going to be a critical and box office success. :)

Not confident enough if they're only having a press screening thirteen hours before wide release :pac:

I'm relatively certain it will at least be an interesting film, but Fox aren't doing themselves any favours waiting that long. Just look at The Raid and The Avengers to see how some positive pre-release hype can have a noticeable effect on both audience, commercial and critical reception. Avengers had an audience preview a good two or three weeks before full release, for example, while The Raid had around five or six relatively high profile previews in the lead-up to release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If Fox weren't sure about the film they wouldn't have allowed the R-rating. They have every reason to be cautious about the critical response. The original film was savaged by many critics in '79.

It's definitely understandable, although increasingly unusual these days. I cannot forsee the film being an outright disaster, critically or commercially, in any case (will be very surprised if it is), but obviously for many such a tight embargo is somewhat of a red flag. I'm guessing this is going to prove the exception to the rule, however, and of course the spoiler-friendly nature of the material is surely another concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Any non 3D screenings in Dublin, on day 1 of release?

I'm speccy four eyes, I don't need to wear glasses *on* glasses..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's definitely understandable, although increasingly unusual these days. I cannot forsee the film being an outright disaster, critically or commercially, in any case (will be very surprised if it is), but obviously for many such a tight embargo is somewhat of a red flag. I'm guessing this is going to prove the exception to the rule, however, and of course the spoiler-friendly nature of the material is surely another concern.

I'd rather not hear any reviews of it tbh, just go enjoy it without any preconceptions of whether its going to be amazing or terrible. It does seem odd that they're bombarding trailers and tv spots like theres no tomorrow but dont want any reviews until last minute. I cant tell whether they have loads of faith or none in the audience its being aimed at.

Well one of the interesting things about this film is that only the 'hardcore' audience or enthusiast will be very aware of the Alien link - it's not exactly a 'niche' audience, though, it's a rather sizable one if anything. I've actually almost entirely avoided publicity material of any kind, but I'm curious about how a more casual audience - who may not be fully aware of the film's legacy / talent - will embrace it. I think it's a slightly hard sell in that regard: an old IP semi-disguised as a new one. Of course, the higher rating is a further difficulty, as is the fact its release in the US later (negating the possibility of some of the bigger review sites reviewing it early).

I'm not usually in anyway interested in box office, but I am curious to see how this fares. This is an unusual release in a number of regards.

Well one of the interesting things about this film is that only the 'hardcore' audience or enthusiast will be very aware of the Alien link - it's not exactly a 'niche' audience, though, it's a rather sizable one if anything. I've actually almost entirely avoided publicity material of any kind, but I'm curious about how a more casual audience - who may not be fully aware of the film's legacy / talent - will embrace it. I think it's a slightly hard sell in that regard: an old IP semi-disguised as a new one. Of course, the higher rating is a further difficulty, as is the fact its release in the US later (negating the possibility of some of the bigger review sites reviewing it early).

I'm not usually in anyway interested in box office, but I am curious to see how this fares. This is an unusual release in a number of regards.

I was talking with a guy from work about it after I mentioned I was really looking forward to it, he just said it looked like a rip off of Alien, didnt realise it was set in the same universe at all. I showed him the original trailer for Alien and the one for this and he twigged it then given the similarites and had a lot more interest. I'd say it will do good box office, but wont be troubling Avengers or TDKR much in terms of records.

It is unusual in that its something related to a massive but tarnished sci-fi franchise, wont appeal to the AVP crowd, will to the fans of the original but Joe Public probably wont know the connection between the two. Its akin to making a movie set in Gotham City but not about Batman. Definitely the most interesting of the summer blockbusters to see how it pans out commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

krudler wrote: »
    Its akin to making a movie set in Gotham City but not about Batman.

I haven't watched all of the trailers, but to me it seems more like making a movie about a guy from Gotham whose parents are killed who turns into a vigilante, and calling it Chiropteraman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Amalgam wrote: »
    Any non 3D screenings in Dublin, on day 1 of release?

I'm speccy four eyes, I don't need to wear glasses *on* glasses..

I'm sure there will be plenty of 2D screenings. They just aren't listing them yet because they want to force you to book tickets for the more expensive 3D ones.

Anyway, at this stage I wouldn't mind seeing some early reviews, even negative ones as they would help temper expectations. I really don't know whether to be excited or nervous about this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Artmonk

Honestly I wouldn't worry about or read into the lack of reviews for Prometheus, Fox just has a strict embargo policy for whatever reason.The remastered version of Chariots of Fire has an embargo even.

Bloke below gave it 70/100, but gave Snow White and MIB3 better ratings...lol whut:

http://www.criticschoice.com/members/bzwecker/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'm sure there will be plenty of 2D screenings. They just aren't listing them yet because they want to force you to book tickets for the more expensive 3D ones.

Strangely enough the cinema closest to me only have listings for the 2D screening, it looks like they decided not to show this in 3D at all. Fine by me!

3D needs to die already. While I know plenty of people who go to 3D screenings, none of them seem particularly bothered about it. If it was gone tomorrow they wouldn't care.

Another thing to keep in mind about the lack of early reviews is that film isn't out in the US until the 8th. We're getting it a week early.

3D needs to die already. While I know plenty of people who go to 3D screenings, none of them seem particularly bothered about it. If it was gone tomorrow they wouldn't care.

Another thing to keep in mind about the lack of early reviews is that film isn't out in the US until the 8th. We're getting it a week early.

thats Prometheus, Avengers and Battleship that Europe has gotten earlier than the US this summer, makes a nice change, now if only Pixar would follow suit and stop releasing their movies months later over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭TheStrandRoads

I emailed the Odeon cinema and they've informed me of the following;

"The 2D version if available at your local cinema will have the showing times available to book from Tuesday 29th May after 2pm."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

3D needs to die already

There's a big big difference between the tripe with bolt on 3d effects, & something that was shot in 3d.

Unfortunately, the former just gives the latter a bad name & people tend to tag the two with the one brush

Ah - it's obviously pre-booking time in the run up to a major blockbuster again, if the 3D discussion is kicking off :p

I have repeated my '99% of all 3D is awful' line of thought before, but darker, claustrophobic films are the ones that truly have a significant loss of quality. Again, I'm quite proud how little I know about this film, but I'm presuming at least sections of it are going to be rather grimy and dark. Therefore I'm going to reign in the temptation to go to the 3D midnight screening and wait for 2D instead, 'shot 3D' or not. Hara-Kiri was literally the last straw for me: genuinely couldn't make out what was going on at times.

Still, got a bit antsy when I went to start the organisation for Friday's trip yesterday and Cineworld didn't have the times up yet :(

I've only been to the shot in 3D films. I'm still not impressed. I can only magine how bad the conversions are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've only been to the shot in 3D films. I'm still not impressed. I can only magine how bad the conversions are.

They're rubbish, absolute rubbish. Tacky aftermarket bolt on effects in order to sell tickets.

I've yet to see anything come close to Avatar for the use of the effect. Johnny is right though about the dark/moody stuff, the effect works a lot better on vivid high contrast films. This is probably best viewed in 2d given it's likely going to be towards the darker end of things

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

EnterNow wrote: »
    They're rubbish, absolute rubbish. Tacky aftermarket bolt on effects in order to sell tickets.

I've yet to see anything come close to Avatar for the use of the effect. Johnny is right though about the dark/moody stuff, the effect works a lot better on vivid high contrast films. This is probably best viewed in 2d given it's likely going to be towards the darker end of things

The last Transformers movie actually made good use of it in parts, and was up there with Avatar. But all that good work was undone in the scenes where robots fought around the screen at the speed of light and it was impossible to make out what was going on.

If the film is shot in 3D, I think you're safe. I don't think TF3 suffered from any dull scenes shrouded in darkness. Then again, that film was shot outdoors in the Summer.

I would be really disappointed if this film suffered from any dullness in the visual. I think it should be seen in 3D though so am going to take a risk.

oooh, the new cinema in Limerick is doing a midnight showing Thursday night, tempted

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

With the dark 3D bits I've seen, the main problem I've had is the halo/ghost image you get because the lenses in the glasses aren't good enough to full block out the other eye's picture. That just really annoys me. I think I'll be seeing this 2D first, and then if I hear that the 3D is really good I might rewatch it in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm another who doesn't go for 3D generally (in fact Transformers 3 is the only 3D film I've seen this generation and that was supposed to be one of the better films for using the technology). I'm tempted by the midnight 3D screening of this though. I presume we're not expecting a last second midnight 2D screening to appear as well?

Advertisement