Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Man 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Shane Black IS writing IM3 :D
    We’ve known since last month that Kiss Kiss Bang Bang writer/director Shane Black would be directing Iron Man 3. The question that remained was whether he would also be writing the script. As it turns out, the answer is yes. At the Omaha Film Festival this weekend, Black appeared at a panel and briefly discussed Iron Man 3, including a few details about the script. Read more after the jump.

According to a report on Ain’t It Cool News, Black is scheduled to meet with star Robert Downey, Jr. this week in order to discuss the screenplay. Downey will be contributing to the script as well, although it is not clear at this point in what capacity or to what extent. The two have worked together previously on the excellent Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which starred Downey and was written and directed by Black.

Black also said that the studio was not pleased with the direction of Iron Man 2, and that Iron Man 3 would be doing something a little different. Instead of the iron-suited dustups of the first two films, Iron Man 3 will be more along the lines of a Tom Clancy-style thriller, with Iron Man fighting “real world villains.”

Also notable is Black’s statement that Iron Man 3 will not feature other Marvel heroes. Way back when plans for The Avengers were first announced, plenty of people (myself included) wondered how Marvel would sustain such a complicated, interrelated universe containing so many different film franchises — or whether it even planned to. As it turns out, the crossovers we’ve already seen were just setting up the stage for The Avengers. After that film comes out in May, Black says, we can expect to see a return to single-character stories. Though I still wouldn’t be surprised to see winking references to other Marvel heroes in Iron Man 3.

All in all, it sounds like Iron Man 3 is headed in a very good direction. Although Iron Man 3 will only be Black’s second directorial credit, he’s already proven himself as a screenwriter with films like Lethal Weapon and The Long Kiss Goodnight. The clever, funny tone of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang proved an excellent fit for Downey’s skills, and if Black and Downey can recapture some of that magic for Iron Man 3, it should make for a very entertaining time at the theater.

http://www.slashfilm.com/iron-man-3-tom-clancythriller/#

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Iron Man 3 will be more along the lines of a Tom Clancy-style thriller, with Iron Man fighting “real world villains.”

Not mad on that part. I kind of like the OTT supervillains we're starting to get. Hopefully they'll get the tone right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Instead of the iron-suited dustups of the first two films, Iron Man 3 will be more along the lines of a Tom Clancy-style thriller, with Iron Man fighting “real world villains.”

I dont see how real world villians will be much a trouble to Iron Man....
    IronmanTank.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

My fear is that some exec is thinking that they should go the "Batman Begins" route of realistic superheroes, and keep away from the fantastical stuff. "Tom Clancy" and "superheroes" are two phrases that don't go together too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

humanji wrote: »
    My fear is that some exec is thinking that they should go the "Batman Begins" route of realistic superheroes, and keep away from the fantastical stuff. "Tom Clancy" and "superheroes" are two phrases that don't go together too well.

Agree with you on that one, but as I mentioned before they should use some of the bad guys that arent just bulked up versions of the Iron Man suit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Of the main comic-book heroes, Batman and Iron Man always struck me as very similar. They were both regular, though brilliant, men who created their abilities, rather than randomly acquiring them.

Of any Marvel hero, Iron Man is probably the one best suited to 'real world villains'.

Still, I have liked pretty much everything Shane Black has done so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

happy to see shane black getting iron man 3 and like his idea for it,no offence to Jon Favreau i loved iron man one my all time favourites i liked Iron man 2 i just thought it was sorta rushed and kinda went no where as a story arc (i.e batman begins then to the dark knight) and there wasnt much action in iron man 2 either?it kidna was like crash course in the avengers in parts

robert downey is perfect for tony stark and war machine is awesome,i think the tom clancy idea for iron man 3 will be super

the avengers
    the dark knight rises
    the amazing spiderman
    the man of steel

What a year for films

• Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Read about Extremis a while back, and they released a Motion Comic version of the original comic story arc on Netflix this month.

Having watched that (the story arc is available standalone: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Man-Extremis-Warren-Ellis/dp/0785122583/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304991594&sr=1-1) have to say it's short enough and good enough a framework that it could quite possibly make a very good structure for the next movie.

Thats when I read up on who they brought in for Iron Man 1 and where the Origin Story in it was taken out of: The Extremis plot arc.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The story arc incorporates an updated origin for Iron Man. Tony Stark is a weapons designer whose weapons are being used against Al Qaeda in Afghanistan prior to the first Gulf War. During an inspection tour, one of Stark's own bombs detonates, sending a piece of shrapnel into his chest, nearly killing him. He is then captured by Afghani terrorists. As with the original origin story, Tony creates the armor with Dr. Ho Yinsen and escapes the terrorists, but Yinsen does not survive.

--

The origin and armor of Iron Man used in the 2008 film Iron Man closely resemble those introduced in "Extremis". Based on his work on "Extremis", artist Adi Granov was brought on as a producer for the film,[6] and he created the final designs for Iron Man's armor.[10] On the DVD of Iron Man, "Extremis and Beyond" is included as a special feature.[11] In other featurettes, Adi Granov and Warren Ellis were interviewed on the origin, the suits, John Pillinger (the interviewer), and the suit being on a crate, not a briefcase. In Iron Man 2, a small plot arc of the story involves Tony trying to find a solution to the palladium poisoning from his Iron Man arc reactor, eventually coming to creating a new element for a pacemaker resembling Extremis armor.
    IronManV5-1.jpg
    extremis-armor.jpg
    After being critically injured during a battle with a nanotech-enhanced foe, Stark injected his nervous system with a modified techno-organic virus to save his own life. This fused Stark's armor to his body, allowing him to store the inner layers of the Iron Man armor in the hollows of his bones as well as control it through direct brain impulses. The Extremis enhancement has turned Stark into a cyborg, whereby the usage of his existing lockchip (a personal area networking implement implanted in his forearm) is directly integrated into his nervous system.

His new armor is no longer a bulky unit which houses its own AI "response server" and miscellaneous interfaces for neural control. Instead, it is more lightweight (constructed of a pliable crystalline material with a molecular structure that can collimate into super-hard planes upon the application of an electrical field) and less complex (as it interfaces directly to Stark's brain via the Extremis-modified cybernetic connections), and has much faster response time since it effectively functions like Stark's second skin.

He is also able to remotely connect to external communications systems such as satellites, cellular phones, and computers through the PAN interconnect (that is now thought-controlled). Because the armor's operating system is now directly connected to Stark's nervous system, its response time has been significantly improved.

Another major departure from the previous armors is expansion of repulsor technology. The "repulsor flight system" provides lift (something like anti-gravity) and positive flight control (pitch, roll and yaw), while the usual rocket boots provide the armor with thrust. The same repulsor technology allows the individual pieces of the armor to levitate and assemble themselves, by modulating what Stark referred to as "vectored Repulsor fields".

Furthermore, the Extremis process has endowed Stark with a 'healing factor' and possibly even enhanced physical abilities, as he was confident enough to challenge Logan/Wolverine to a fight (and even challenging to see who's capable of recovering faster from the other's attack). It was later stated that the Extremis enhancement speeds up a person's repair process and hence the body's cells died and regenerated at a faster rate. This effectively made Tony Stark immune to cancer and gave him his 'healing factor'.

In the Iron Man: The Inevitable storyline, it was shown that it's not only Tony Stark's body and the interfacing undersheath that has self-healing properties. Even the Iron Man armor has the ability to self-heal and self-repair, presumably through the use of nanotechnology. The armor is also able to store power throughout its structure, indicating that instead of having main batteries mounted around the waist as in the older Iron Man armors, the Extremis armor incorporates distributed and decentralized energy storage.

Note: Although Extremis for reasons of simplicity is referred to as "a virus", it is not. The Extremis process involved injecting several billion microscopic nanotubes, which act as information carriers, into the brain. The brain is then partly reprogrammed; the so-called "repair center," that part of the brain which maintains an "integrity map" of the body, is told that the body is wrong. The physical reaction is that the entire body regrows itself, remaking itself per the Extremis instructions. Extremis itself, the original information package, is not involved; neither are "nanobots."

After the entire Stark 'dataspine', the central data processing center which governed all, or at least the pertinent chunk of Stark technology, was infected with a hyper-advanced, Skrull-developed computer virus during the Secret Invasion, Tony lost the ability to use Extremis' interface functions and consequently the armor was rendered obsolete. For the "World's Most Wanted" storyline, Tony has begun using older armors, such as the Heroes Return armor and the Classic Red and Gold.
    A theory, mind. But if I was looking for a good idea for a movie, Extremis certainly fits the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Screw the realism wheres i want to see Mandarin and Fing Fang Foom lol but seriously the extremis idea sounds pretty awesome, Was a pretty cool arc which i enjoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Otacon wrote: »
    Of the main comic-book heroes, Batman and Iron Man always struck me as very similar. They were both regular, though brilliant, men who created their abilities, rather than randomly acquiring them.

Of any Marvel hero, Iron Man is probably the one best suited to 'real world villains'.
    Still, I have liked pretty much everything Shane Black has done so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt anyway.

Daredevil? MoonKnight?

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Daredevil? MoonKnight?
    daredevil-farrell_as_bullseye.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

humanji wrote: »
    "Tom Clancy" and "superheroes" are two phrases that don't go together too well.

You aint never heard of Jack Ryan nah??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fing Fang Foom

Now there's a reference and a half...

Foom-iron-man.gif&sa=X&ei=6RLLTZC2MMfOhAfImuWoAg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGn9y_1INfKIEZMMbBqawLlUQr8wQ

no, thanks.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Ben Kingsley in talks to play the villain. Story set to be based on the Extremis storyline

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=57630

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Thoms Yorkie Bars

Guy Pearce is also in. Always good to see him in things

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More interesting to me is that the film is going to be largely shot and financed in China, which is nigh on unheard of for a Hollywood film. Along with this and the upcoming Inseparable (a fairly awful Chinese comedy starring Kevin Spacey of all people) it seems likely that we're going to see a very strong effort on China's part to gain prominence on Western screens.

Sorry: nerdy industry forecast. You may get back to your narrative speculations.

They'll probably set Futurepharm in China as a new Stark venture, which is where they will be developing the Extremis nanite/virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Kess73 wrote: »
    Daredevil? MoonKnight?

I freaking loved Moon Knight!!

I'm looking forward to IM3. It's never going to be a movie to make you think really but the action scenes are pretty solid and Downey Jr. is the perfect person to play Stark and put in a grea tperformance in both so far.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Frisbee wrote: »
    I freaking loved Moon Knight!!

I'm looking forward to IM3. It's never going to be a movie to make you think really but the action scenes are pretty solid and Downey Jr. is the perfect person to play Stark and put in a grea tperformance in both so far.

The only MoonKnight I've read was the civil war one, seems like an interesting character, messed up though.

Apparently there's a hint towards the Iron Man 3 villain in the Avengers somewhere, maybe post credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jessica Chastain and Guy Pearce also rumoured to be in

• This is actually sounding pretty interesting. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is up there among my favourite RDJ movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Thoms Yorkie Bars

Andy Lau from Infernal Affairs looks set to be joining. Pretty good cast so far. Looking forward to see what Shane Black does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I really hope they get the villains right this time. Rourke, Rockwell and Bridges are all great actors but when it came to the final showdown in each movie with Iron Man, it was a bit of a let down each time. I watched the first 2 movies in prep for the Avengers the last 2 nights. Both movies start really well but fade towards the second half. I like the Stark stuff more than the IM segments. The casting of Kingsley and Pearce is promising, hopefully Black has something interesting in store.

Very interested to see how Whedon handles the character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

when it came to the final showdown in each movie with Iron Man, it was a bit of a let down each time. I watched the first 2 movies in prep for the Avengers the last 2 nights. Both movies start really well but fade towards the second half.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Thor is the only one of the Avengers build-up movies that doesn't suffer from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Thor is the only one of the Avengers build-up movies that doesn't suffer from this.

That's only because it didn't exactly build up expectations in the first place only to let people down with the closing act. It was pretty much bland from the get go :p

That's only because it didn't exactly build up expectations in the first place only to let people down with the closing act. It was pretty much bland from the get go :p

Thor was easily the best of all five.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Just read that Black Widow will not be in IM3. Hopefully she gets her own movie.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Just read that Black Widow will not be in IM3. Hopefully she gets her own movie.

That's definitely the worst idea I've heard relating to this franchise so far.

Advertisement