Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip-Hop 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

New Macklemore and Ryan Lewis song in support of marriage equality. Great accompanying blog post too.

http://macklemore.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Thats probably the best "Ill Mind" for me eventhough I'm not liking the beat...he's spitting some deep and good stuff though....still think Hopsin is an awful rapper though...Slim Shady II, not a chance....I can understand his appeal though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Hopsin never sounded like AZ (like eminem and currently does not sound like new or old eminem) and he is not off his face either.

Eminem fans think everyone sounds like Eminem (Canibus, Royce, every single white rapper regardless of age etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I preferred Ill Mind of Hopsin 4. I found 5 was a bit too preachy but there was some great word play there no doubt.

Really enjoyed his album R.A.W, looking forward to Knock Madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

boring track

• Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

MD1990 wrote: »

boring track

57d9c6f8.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I like the 3 kings track but no way Ross in on a level with Dre ans Jay - Z

Ross has been doing well recently with his MMG but has along way to go to,

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

A new song from Talib Kweli featuring Curren$y and Kendrick Lamar. It's from his new album "prisoner of Conscious" that's coming out in October.

• Advertisement

nice ^^
    Ross has been doing well recently with his MMG but has along way to go to

he'll never get there simply because he isnt good enough, terrible rapper who's repetitive as f*ck both lyrically and beats wise.

3 kings is alright though in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Nothing wrong Ross, puts out some decent music.

Anyway, been listening to Dom Kennedy's 'The Yellow Album', the Harry Fraud/Curren$y EP and Smoke DZA's 'Rugby Thompson' LP recently, all damn good.

Orizio wrote: »
    Nothing wrong Ross, puts out some decent music.

Anyway, been listening to Dom Kennedy's 'The Yellow Album', the Harry Fraud/Curren$y EP and Smoke DZA's 'Rugby Thompson' LP recently, all damn good.

He does in fairness to him but there's a lot more bad than good but he's no where near jay z's level or even dre who doesn't even write his raps. Ross grumbling and shouting rozay on every single track over a dreaded bmf style beat is just played out, I can't take him serious at all he's everything wrong with gangsta rap these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ross sounds like a modern day Muhammad Ali trying to rap, fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Xzibit revealed the tracklist for his upcoming album, Napalm.

I'm looking forward to it. He said he's hoping for a September release. If we get it then it'd be brilliant.
    1. State Of Hip-Hop Vs. Xzibit (Prod. By Beat Butcher)
    2. Everything (Prod. By Rick Rock)
    3. Dos Equise Ft. RBX
    4. Something More Ft. Prodigy
    5. Gangsta Gangsta (Prod. By DJ Chill)
    6. Forever A G Ft. Wiz Khalifa (Prod. By E. Dan)
    7. 1983 Ft. Trena Joiner (Xzibit’s Mom) (Prod. By Insane Wayne)
    8. Stand Tall Ft. Slim Da Mobster (Prod. By S1)
    9. Spread It Out (Prod. By 21)
    10. Up Out The Way Ft. E-40 (Prod. By Rick Rock)
    11. Napalm (Prod. By 1500 Or Nothin’) (Drums By Travis Barker; Scratches By Sid (Of Slipknot))
    12. Meaning Of Life Ft. Ret. Staff Sargent Shilo Harris (U.S. Army)
    13. Louis XIII Ft. King T & Tha Alkaholiks (Prod. By Dr. Dre)
    14. Enjoy The Night Ft. David Banner, Wiz Khalifa & Brevi (Prod. By David Banner)
    15. Movie Ft. Crooked I, Slim Da Mobster & Game (Prod. By Akon)
    16. I Came To Kill (Prod. By !llmind)
    17. Killer’s Remorse Ft. Bishop Lamont, B-Real & Demrick (Prod. By Focus)
    18. 1983 StringAcapella

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I dunno how people can listen to Ross and take his shiiit serious

for example (not actual lyrics)

i be selling them drugs
    shooting nikkas in the club

He actually says stuff like that, and the fact thats its 100% bull and he would of reported people for that, i dunno how how people can listen to his "music".

He is the biggest fake in rap music and even if other "gangsta" rappers didnt live the life they say they did, they werent officers and locked others up over it.

Im drunk but i hope what im saying makes sense..peace out ps Ross is a c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    I dunno how people can listen to Ross and take his shiiit serious

for example (not actual lyrics)

i be selling them drugs
    shooting nikkas in the club

He actually says stuff like that, and the fact thats its 100% bull and he would of reported people for that, i dunno how how people can listen to his "music".

He is the biggest fake in rap music and even if other "gangsta" rappers didnt live the life they say they did, they werent officers and locked others up over it.

Im drunk but i hope what im saying makes sense..peace out ps Ross is a c*nt.
    Zzzzzzzz.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Only reason I listen to Ross is because he has a great ear for beats. I couldn't give a damn about his rapping...he's wack in that manner.

On a different note, the new Dark Time Sunshine album is astounding. Dare I say it but probably better than Vessel. Really impressed after two listens.. Real real good left field hip hop which has been really absent this year. (didn't like Aesop's new album)

I was looking forward to Napalm but after seeing the tracklist not so much. Only one Dre beat. There are notable features but most of those guys are washed up and are well past their prime. And the producers? I'm really disappointed. I'll still check it out but I'm not expecting much honestly. Pity because X has always been one of my favourites.

Ross has been doing well recently with his MMG but has along way to go
    he'll never get there

Where's he trying to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Where's he trying to go?

To be a king like the other 2 actual kings on that track.

• Advertisement

Tbh lads I Think that xzibit tracklist looks incredibly messy and all over the place but luckily we judge albums on what they sound like lol ! Great to see bishop on there too, him and X work well.

Aftermaths Facebook page is promoting xzibit of late which is nice.

Couldnt give a fúck how bad the tracklist looks, Xzibit is a favourite of mine and I'll listen to anything he records.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Where's he trying to go?

Just curious man, what appeals to you about Officer Rickys music? Is it the horrible beats or the inability to rap he possesses? Or is it the fact that literally everything he says is a lie? Seriously, i cant see what people like about the lad, he has a horrible voice, shít taste in beats and he's the biggest bollocks talker in the history of hip hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Just curious man, what appeals to you about Officer Rickys music? Is it the horrible beats or the inability to rap he possesses? Or is it the fact that literally everything he says is a lie? Seriously, i cant see what people like about the lad, he has a horrible voice, shít taste in beats and he's the biggest bollocks talker in the history of hip hop.

This sums Rick Ross up for me.

I hate the chap. Not for his fakeness or history as an officer, but because he is actually the laziest rapper I have ever seen. Same verse, slightly different beat. But what pisses me off the most is that I actually like a lot of the artists he features on/hangs around with, he just ruins so many songs for me, so consistently. He occasionally gets his mits on an amazing beat and I can tolerate his shortness of breath, but 9 times out of 10 seeing Rick Ross on a track with dudes I listen to means I have to skip his verse.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Just curious man, what appeals to you about Officer Rickys music?

It doesn't appeal to me, I don't listen to Rick Ross' music.

There are a couple of exceptions - I like the song he did with Nas (Triple Beam Dreams?) and Aston Martin Music isn't bad IMO. I don't even have the song with Nas on my iTunes, just Aston Martin Music. I've never purchased or even downloaded a Rick Ross album.

What gave you the impression that his music appeals to me?

Andy_rse wrote: »
    To be a king like the other 2 actual kings on that track.

But a lot of the regular posters here say Dre has fallen off in recent years, give out that he doesn't write his own rhymes, moan about his flopped Detox leaks and say that he hasn't been involved in anything half decent since The Documentary? And as far as I can tell most people here aren't too impressed by the track he did with Ross?

But you still consider him a "king"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Ill keep it short cos i hate typing on this phone but yes Dres most recent material has been sub par but to deny that he is the "king" or will be remembered as one of the goats is ludacris.

The guy has 2 classic albums under his belt, was a pivotal part of one of the most influential groups of all time, he put on 2 of the most successful rappers in the game, headlined and organised one of the biggest and best hip hop tours, and has been behind some timeless beats/songs. The guy even raised Pac from tbe dead lol

Ross for me has zero redeeming qualities and no one will know who the f*ck he is on 10 yeats time. Flavour of the month rappers like him are a dime a dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

good song from Wiz

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Jaysus, Ross gets some amount of hate on here!

I actually don't mind him, in fact he's hilarious; An ex officer talking about pushing weight and killing people over some of the best production in mainstream hip hop? Look at an interview with him, the guy is absolute troll!
    Anybody who hates him for being "fake" is missing the point, you're not meant to that him seriously

Kilograms were the key to my success
    I apologise being so discreet with my connects
    Lamborghini’s were figments of my imagination
    whoever figured the figures this figure would be making

^ Comedy gold!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've said it on here before, and I'll say it again, the majority of rappers do not actually do what they claim in their music.
    If that is the case, Eminem has had about a few wives all called Kim and murdered them.
    I am not defending Rick Ross's music as it is straight garbage, but he always gets hit with being a CO in his past unjustly.

Anyhow, i've been listening to a few new things.

Childish Gambino - Very good mixtape, he has developed quite alot on this and is more versatile.

Swerve - Don't know how I managed to have 2 albums from someone unheard of downloaded, but i'm pretty happy that I do. The Barrelhouse LP and Cold Winters & Warm Whiskey are 2 excellent albums that I highly recommend. This dude can rap.

N.A. - I think that mufcboy1999 mentioned this guy earlier, I've listened to the new album Love. Compromise. Hustle. Lies. It decent enough, but he is drifting more and more to sounding like Kanye.

Ch3z - This is the new Chuuwee mixtape, I want overly impressed.

Advertisement