Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Ennis

• 23-08-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all this is my first post so please be nice lol

Anyway me and my partner are moving to Ennis next Thursday from Limerick. So was wondering what is there to do in Ennis like is there any good pubs that show the rugby I'm a Munster fan also would like pub that's not half full of kids.
    I'm not really in to clubing as the music recs my head but do like live music like read stuff etc. Hopping to find somewhere I can call a local

Also what alse is there like museums and restaurants etc.

Many thanks for your help

Ps the misses is a Clare girl so its moving home for her :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 BobLoblaw77

kernow wrote: »
    Hi all this is my first post so please be nice lol

Anyway me and my partner are moving to Ennis next Thursday from Limerick. So was wondering what is there to do in Ennis like is there any good pubs that show the rugby I'm a Munster fan also would like pub that's not half full of kids.
    I'm not really in to clubing as the music recs my head but do like live music like read stuff etc. Hopping to find somewhere I can call a local

Also what alse is there like museums and restaurants etc.

Many thanks for your help

Ps the misses is a Clare girl so its moving home for her :)

As regards pubs, there should be a few that would be decent for games. Knox's is pretty good for all live sport, be it Rugby, soccer or GAA. I watched the Ireland match and Mayo/Kerry match in O'Keeffes at the weekend and they had a good crowd for both, with no kids. Few other pubs like Ciarans that would be good also. Ciarans does trad music as well some nights but ts not really my thing.

No idea about museums in ennis. Few decent places to eat. Old ground/town hall, knoxes, milanos, brogans... Depends on what sort of food you are looking for. There's a supermacs as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

We are always nice on the clare board:D

i dont go out in ennis much anymore but fafa's (maybe someone will help me out with real name) on parnell st is nice..
    theres a good thai at the bottom of parnell st, rogues and the town hall are really good and a decent indian (my favourite) beside the youth centre.
    what kind of museums are you looking for? there is one in the library but for art glor often has exhibitions on. glors also really nice for a coffee or lunch and obviously shows and things are on there..
    welcome to clare, hope ye are happy here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Ah! The Limerick people are trying to plant Clare so they can claim the bit of road ahead of toonagh:pac:

I see what your at.... :cool:

(Yea, +1 on Knox's ;))

We are always nice on the clare board:D

i dont go out in ennis much anymore but fafa's (maybe someone will help me out with real name) on parnell st is nice..
    theres a good thai at the bottom of parnell st, rogues and the town hall are really good and a decent indian (my favourite) beside the youth centre.
    what kind of museums are you looking for? there is one in the library but for art glor often has exhibitions on. glors also really nice for a coffee or lunch and obviously shows and things are on there..
    welcome to clare, hope ye are happy here:)

Fafa's is Considines. Haven't been in it in years but know someone who drinks there and they have sung it's praises. Wherebis the youth centre? I eat in the Mogul Indian which is quite nice. Looks a lot better than than the Punjab used to be..

Thats it, considines. the indian, its around the corner from the ennis national school. If you were going from the mill rd towards limerick, just after crossroads/lights.. hmm, indian, i'd eat it every day if i could. i havent tried the mogul yet but i have heard good things..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Few years now since I last lived in ennis but there are loads of great pubs. Rugby is well followed. Ciarans was my local back then and it was a great bar with loads of great characters. Rugby, racing and gaa. A great pint as well. Not sure what it's like now but I doubt it's changed that much.
    You will find somewhere that suits you no bother and it will be great fun exploring. You will get plenty of stick when Clare are playing Limerick:)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Lucas's always has the rugby matches on, always a good crowd in there, nice pub too

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

they have lovely sicilian restaurant in ennis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kernow

Hi all thanks

Sounds like there a few good places to go then will have to check them out once were settled in. So what's the best Chinese in town?

By museum I mean something like the history of Ennis I'm interested in history I end up wondering around places for hours on end looking at the architecture of the buildings etc so I can get a feel for the place and wonder who lived and worked in these places. Not really in to the art thing though I don't mind some of it

Will look forward to checking out some of the pubs and having a good pint of Guinness. I try to avoid soccer like the plague well mainly the English stuff the only time I really watch it is wen Ireland are playing. I follow rugby mainly and the gaa. Hopefully will catch with some of you lads sometime for a pint or 2.

I'm not from Limerick or Ireland originally I'm from cornwall near England been living over here for a few years now lived in Donegal for few months then moved to Limerick now getting out of there as we have had enough of it there. Unfortunately the place is going down hill fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

Clare County Museum is worth a visit (and it's free). It's in the centre of town, beside the Temple Gate hotel:
    http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/claremuseum/index.htm

You might also enjoy the Ennis walking tour:
    http://www.enniswalkingtours.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭moss.ie

Battleflag wrote: »
    Lucas's always has the rugby matches on, always a good crowd in there, nice pub too

big +1 for Lukies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chalky126

try the Rowantree Café too - nice choice of food and staff are nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fawls, Pa Quinns and The Halfway House would be my favourite pubs.

I'm a dub living in Dublin but married to a Clare woman and I know the town well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Fawls is a kip and the staff are possibly the worst in Ennis. They hate tourists and if you check any of the online rating sites you will see pages about how they often won't serve people who are not from town. I have experienced this myself when I had friends over from America. I made the mistake of going in there only to at first be made to feel out of place by the staff who intentionally ignored us, and then after serving us another lady came in and asked us to leave. Thats a good way to encourage tourism. Friendliest town my arse - any tourist that ventures in there will say different, and they are already online.

Lukies is a grand spot for rubgy. You can also watch it next door at Charlies. I also like watching it @ Brandons as they have the large projection screen and the best prices for pints in town.

CptSternn wrote: »
    Fawls is a kip and the staff are possibly the worst in Ennis. They hate tourists and if you check any of the online rating sites you will see pages about how they often won't serve people who are not from town. I have experienced this myself when I had friends over from America. I made the mistake of going in there only to at first be made to feel out of place by the staff who intentionally ignored us, and then after serving us another lady came in and asked us to leave. Thats a good way to encourage tourism. Friendliest town my arse - any tourist that ventures in there will say different, and they are already online.

Lukies is a grand spot for rubgy. You can also watch it next door at Charlies. I also like watching it @ Brandons as they have the large projection screen and the best prices for pints in town.

Never been into the Fawls, but seen some of the ratings also. Unreal.. There are some bars in town that are locals.. some places which may be better to watch a match... and other places where you might wander into on a Saturday night to check the talent.

I'd say Considines, Lucas's, O'Keeffes, Paddy Quinns, Ciarans etc would be locals.. and would each serve a pretty good pint.

Knoxes would be a decent place to watch a big match (or multiple sporting occasions).

Charlies is a place that only seems to have atmosphere when it's full (although quite often that is a pretty young crowd). That happens probably only on a Saturday night. My main problem with the bar is that it's too big. It's also away from the other main pubs in town (bar Lucas's and McQs) so it doesn't keep a crowd well anymore. I'd say quite often you would get a similar crowd in Lucas's as you would in Charlies. Yet Lucas's main bar is about 25% of the size

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Inkyhead

Fawls beer garden is grand! And there's often a good trad seisúin on the go at the weekends. But it tends to be full of old drunks, just ignore em. Never heard of em asking anyone to leave though!

Best pint of Guinness in town is in O'Dea's pub just up the road from Fawls beside the Cathedral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fawls is a kip and the staff are possibly the worst in Ennis.

I withdraw what I said. How could I possibly have a different opinion to yours based on years of going into the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Staff in Fawls are sound. I often drop in there to buy smokes after 11pm and they nip into the off licence for me.

Lukies gets gold star for service though. They'll spot you three people back from the bar when trying to order and I never end up standing around cos they've forgotten to top up my Guinness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've never had a problem with the Fawls, sorry to hear about your experience Cpt.

People have mentioned a lot of nice places, there are also nice places outside of town depending on where you are living, The Halways, Gallow's, Gleeson's and Grove are all nice pubs outside of town. I believe Patrick's is 1 of the official Munster match venues as well. The 1 thing that Ennis doesn't seem to have a problem with is kids in pub, well not that I've noticed anyway. You also have a few options for places to go to watch a match while having something to eat, a lot of nice pub grub places.

Enjoy the town, I guess we could include you on a Clare night out, if you were lucky of course :D

Clareman wrote: »
    I've never had a problem with the Fawls, sorry to hear about your experience Cpt.

The 1 thing that Ennis doesn't seem to have a problem with is kids in pub, well not that I've noticed anyway.

Actually that I think is the reason we were asked to leave. Our group had a three year old with us. He was well behaved, sitting in a chair and having a black currant sure. The first lady told us we had to keep him in the front area. The second lady a few minutes later gave out to the first lady and then told us to take the kid and leave. Since then someone said there is now a sign saying no children in the pub.

I guess they don't like them walking around looking so happy, young, and carefree when the clientèle is a bunch of old men with no work drinking on a Tuesday afternoon. It must remind them too much of reality.

That or they feel they don't drink enough to take up space in their pub.

Either way, it was the worst experience I ever had in a pub in Ennis sure. Very unprofessional. I even contacted VFI to get the owners details and then rang them. Got their voicemail, they never returned my calls. I also emailed them. Seems they don't care too much about what people think sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Inkyhead wrote: »
    Best pint of Guinness in town is in O'Dea's pub just up the road from Fawls beside the Cathedral.

Ah Jesus, dont be tellin' the outsiders about our jewel in the crown!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Inkyhead

Actually that I think is the reason we were asked to leave. Our group had a three year old with us. He was well behaved, sitting in a chair and having a black currant sure. The first lady told us we had to keep him in the front area. The second lady a few minutes later gave out to the first lady and then told us to take the kid and leave

That's totally different to what you said first, in fairness. If you're going to make statements destroying a places reputation at least get your story straight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

O'Dea's, now there's a place I haven't been in a long time, best pint ever

Hi thanks again lads for the ideas sure will be checking them out.

Sure will take you up on the offer for some Clare drinks if I'm aloud and the misus let's me out lol.

Another question I have is where is the best DVD rental places apart from extra vision?

Also did ask the other day what's the best Chinese in town.

Thanks again for all your help. :)

im not huge into chinese but ive had chinese from the place out in roslevan beside the grove and it was good.

kernow wrote: »
    Hi thanks again lads for the ideas sure will be checking them out.

Sure will take you up on the offer for some Clare drinks if I'm aloud and the misus let's me out lol.

Another question I have is where is the best DVD rental places apart from extra vision?

Also did ask the other day what's the best Chinese in town.

Thanks again for all your help. :)

Asking about the best Chinese is like asking about a persons favourite pub. Everyone has a different opinion on that.

I like Golden Mill, but if you ask anyone else in town you will usually get a different answer, especially since there are like seven around now.

That's true I guess never thought about it like that.:)

I wouldn't be a big fan of the Golden Mill but Mrs. Clareman loves it, the normal places for us is if we want Satay we go to the Silver House on O'Connell St. if we want anything else we go to Fortune House in the Market, if we are hungover on a Sunday we go to the place out in Roselvin for the buffet.

The only place in town for DVDs really is Xtra-Vision, a mirade of places tried to setup in the past and didn't survice long.

Cheers Clareman was just trying to get an idea of what the best Chinese are in town as CptSernn says everyone has their own choice in what they think is the best I guess we will have to find find them out for our selfs.

Shame about dvd places as we rent a fair few of them always found xtra vision crap for selection we use movie drome in Limerick have found they have a great selection and ur man who runs the place is very helpful. Unlike xtra vision plus would like to put money in to a local business than something like xtra vision. :(

• Advertisement

New Dynasty in Clarecastle in my fave, but they don't deliver to town so Golden Mill is my second choice and I order from them almost weekly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement