Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacist salary?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I'll more than likely be studying in Aberdeen. Hmmm. Thats interesting. Just, I remember when I was on the J1. I got talking to an irish phramacist who waaabsolutely minted after only working in NYC for 4 years.

With the weak dollar, America printing more money and the crippling recession over there, there is no guarantee the wages will stay the same. Furthermore anything you save and bring back to Ireland may be seriously hit by a poor conversion rate. Also, to be a supervising pharmacist (who can run a shop alone) you will be required to have 3 years experience in Irish pharmacy-so if you head off to the states for a few years you will start at the bottom when coming home to Ireland.

Just bear those things in mind. Pharmacy isn't the cash cow it used to be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

segaBOY wrote: »
    Also, to be a supervising pharmacist (who can run a shop alone) you will be required to have 3 years experience in Irish pharmacy

That regulation is being changed and will not apply in the future. (legislation imminent AFAIK)

RobFowl wrote: »
    That regulation is being changed and will not apply in the future. (legislation imminent AFAIK)

AFAIK it's new legislation that's just been brought in under the new pharmacy act-you might be getting it mixed up with the old one which meant UK grads could only set up a shop after working here for 3 years...

http://www.pharmaceuticalsociety.ie/Pharmacy_Act_2007/Pharmacy_Act_2007/Navigation.html

I'm open to correction however

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

AFAIK it's new legislation that's just been brought in under the new pharmacy act-you might be getting it mixed up with the old one which meant UK grads could only set up a shop after working here for 3 years...

http://www.pharmaceuticalsociety.ie/Pharmacy_Act_2007/Pharmacy_Act_2007/Navigation.html

I'm open to correction however

I'm wrong , sorry :o

The legislation i was thinking of applies to EU trained pharmacists only.

RobFowl wrote: »
    I'm wrong , sorry :o

The legislation i was thinking of applies to EU trained pharmacists only.

No bother there's mountains of legislation out there!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

what's the story with industry pay? i just secured my pre reg placement today for 6 months and i'd be looking to go back into industry once i'm registered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭WaldenByThoreua

Im in first year pharmacy in Ireland and hope that the jobs situation has righted itself in 4-5 years because it sure isn't pretty right now....

Wouldn't like to be graduating this year or next..think a masters or PhD might be the way to go..kill some years and gloss the CV..could lead to some interesting career moves as well...don't like the idea of using my degree to be looked at as a till monkey..

Ah well..:D

Im in first year pharmacy in Ireland and hope that the jobs situation has righted itself in 4-5 years because it sure isn't pretty right now....

Wouldn't like to be graduating this year or next..think a masters or PhD might be the way to go..kill some years and gloss the CV..could lead to some interesting career moves as well...don't like the idea of using my degree to be looked at as a till monkey..

It really depends on how much more the HSE budget will get hit and how many will be entering Ireland to work as Pharmacists over the next few years along with how many pharmacies will actually remain. I'd say expect the number of Pharmacies to fall in Ireland (as there are way too much already) and keep an open mind (as it seems you are doing!) about different career aspects.

well we're getting a MPharm anyway.

job situation will be more pharmacists working in less pharmacies doing more work for less pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'd say expect the number of Pharmacies to fall in Ireland (as there are way too much already)

From chatting to my local pharmacist and from the few Pharmacies I've seen close down this year, this seems to already be happening. The recession will make places that were only marginal in terms of surviving disappear. The same thing will be/is happening to other businesses around the country.

Though I'm not really that sure what people are bitching about. 70K was silly money to be starting off on, it shouldn't surprise people that this situation wouldn't be permanent.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    Though I'm not really that sure what people are bitching about. 70K was silly money to be starting off on, it shouldn't surprise people that this situation wouldn't be permanent.

People can get notions about themselves, I remember coming across a newly qualified Pharmacist straight over from a uni in Brighton who was thinking of bitching to her boss because she didn't get paid for an extra 15 mins she had to do every second week-despite the fact she was earning just shy of €70k-a good kick up the backside wouldn't go astray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭onetrueone

People can get notions about themselves, I remember coming across a newly qualified Pharmacist straight over from a uni in Brighton who was thinking of bitching to her boss because she didn't get paid for an extra 15 mins she had to do every second week-despite the fact she was earning just shy of €70k-a good kick up the backside wouldn't go astray.

How about comparing that with Dentists who do an Equivalent amount of training time (Five Years) yet Dentists get far more pay.
    Also Dentists (and almost all other Health professionals) get a thing called a Lunch Break - Yet community Pharmacists don't, in fact I've never had a lunch break - ever.
    Just stating facts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

onetrueone wrote: »
    How about comparing that with Dentists who do an Equivalent amount of training time (Five Years) yet Dentists get far more pay.
    Also Dentists (and almost all other Health professionals) get a thing called a Lunch Break - Yet community Pharmacists don't, in fact I've never had a lunch break - ever.
    Just stating facts here.

Yeah and people finishing PhDs have done 7-9 years of training. Their salaries vary from 30K-60K depending on field. A starting college lecturer is at around 40K. Some industries will get you more than that and in fairness a PhD is far more difficult than any undergraduate degree so it's not even that it's equal on a year to year comparison.

onetrueone wrote: »
    Just stating facts here.

We all work hard mate, I studied my @ss off to get the points to do Pharmacy and I have to say the course isn't all that bad, a lot of work in it but not all that difficult. One of my best mates is a Dentist and his course sounded way harder tbh.

Tbh that's the profession you choose, plenty of Civil Engineers who did equivalent training time and they now don't have a job to go to.

With regard your lunch break that is a pain, along with the standing and taking the moaning from clients but that's all part of the job in a busy Pharmacy, better than humping bricks on a building site.

Not trying to slate you here but there are plenty of well educated people out there who'd give their right arm for our job.

nesf wrote: »
    Yeah and people finishing PhDs have done 7-9 years of training. Their salaries vary from 30K-60K depending on field. A starting college lecturer is at around 40K. Some industries will get you more than that and in fairness a PhD is far more difficult than any undergraduate degree so it's not even that it's equal on a year to year comparison.

And people doing PhDs also get the "Sorry you're over qualified" thrown in their face from private industry. Either research or lecturing is the only route a lot of them can go down in Ireland unfortunately.

One of my best mates is a Dentist and his course sounded way harder tbh.

That's funny two Pharmacists I know went back to study Dentistry and both said that the Pharmacy training was harder.

anybody on here know of a pharmacy looking to take on a 6 month pre reg student?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 headtotoe

Please anybody tell me another profession where there is no lunch break (its also illegal), as for other professions being easier than comunity pharmacy, why is that pharmacy has the highest attrition rate of all healthcare professions.. has anyone heard of a dentist or a gp going back to college to become a community pharmacist, its never happened because community pharmacy is a job with ****e conditions.. and thats it.

headtotoe wrote: »
    Please anybody tell me another profession where there is no lunch break (its also illegal), as for other professions being easier than comunity pharmacy, why is that pharmacy has the highest attrition rate of all healthcare professions.. has anyone heard of a dentist or a gp going back to college to become a community pharmacist, its never happened because community pharmacy is a job with ****e conditions.. and thats it.
    Junior docs don't get luch breaks.

Junior doctors do get lunch breaks ive worked with them on hospital wards. in fact i recently was talking to an ex community pharmacist who is now a junior doctor and she said to me that how weird it was to have a lunch break after working as a community pharmacist in an items factory pharmacy.

• Advertisement

The Bin man that collects the wheelie bins get a Lunch break yet Pharmacists don't - funny that.

that's true and a direct quote from a USA pharmacy website even if youre trying to tell a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭WaldenByThoreua

I'm in first year pharmacy and there's a qualified 25 year old Doctor with 2 years experience in our class....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sheep1986

from a person that is after going back to study pharmacy after a primary science degree, the course is grand, but im guessing all my years studying will reap no financial rewards and am open to either industry or hospital. just a question for the pharmacists here:
    to be a locum pharmacist must you first do your prereg, then do u have to have 3 yrs ireland pharmacy experience or can you do locum work straight after your prereg year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

You can do locuming as soon as you're on the register and have your registration number. Only supervising pharmacists need to have the 3 years experience - even if you are the only pharmacist there for the day you are not the "supervising pharmacist" for that pharmacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gph

Pharmacists are first, and foremostly, not overpaid; if anything underpaid. It is immensely responsible work with direct patient contact and assumption of clinical responsibility in a very broad sense. An error a pharmacist assumes responsibility for (in the UK at least) is a criminal offence. I have had 2 pharmacists in coronors (then criminal) court in a brief 4 years in a UK hospital. One was directly implicated in cause of death; an error many wouldn't raise an eyebrow to, but, defense went to town on it and she was held for manslaughter/criminal negligence. This has been described in law by a recent test case. It is incomparable with MLSO or academic qualifications, I am however, and in no way, admonishing these. Salaries will be proportional to clinical responsibility and patient services (as opposed to archaic drug schemes) - this transition will neither be quick or painless for the traditional business model.

I'm in first year pharmacy and there's a qualified 25 year old Doctor with 2 years experience in our class....
    Im just wondering what drugs this guy is taking, does he know what he is letting himself into?
    My advice would be to drop out of pharmacy immediately!

gph wrote: »
    Pharmacists are first, and foremostly, not overpaid; if anything underpaid. It is immensely responsible work with direct patient contact and assumption of clinical responsibility in a very broad sense. An error a pharmacist assumes responsibility for (in the UK at least) is a criminal offence. I have had 2 pharmacists in coronors (then criminal) court in a brief 4 years in a UK hospital. One was directly implicated in cause of death; an error many wouldn't raise an eyebrow to, but, defense went to town on it and she was held for manslaughter/criminal negligence. This has been described in law by a recent test case. It is incomparable with MLSO or academic qualifications, I am however, and in no way, admonishing these. Salaries will be proportional to clinical responsibility and patient services (as opposed to archaic drug schemes) - this transition will neither be quick or painless for the traditional business model.
    Couldnt agree with you more, relative to the amount of support staff and back-up available to other healthcare professions plus the fact that pharmacists end-up fixing other peoples problems pharmacy is a career that is under paid and under appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

sheep1986 wrote: »
    from a person that is after going back to study pharmacy after a primary science degree, the course is grand, but im guessing all my years studying will reap no financial rewards and am open to either industry or hospital. just a question for the pharmacists here:
    to be a locum pharmacist must you first do your prereg, then do u have to have 3 yrs ireland pharmacy experience or can you do locum work straight after your prereg year?

Hey just wondering what course your doing in pharmacy?? I'm planning on doing pharmacy, loved working in a pharmacy and want to make it my life.. However didn't get enough points on leaving cert, so i'm now in final year in a science degree! Any advise on what colleges best to try to get into... trinners don't want me cos i'm too young :(

Oh, sorry, know its a bit off topic here..

• Advertisement

Im just wondering what drugs this guy is taking, does he know what he is letting himself into?
    My advice would be to drop out of pharmacy immediately!

agreed but after finishing my finals today i'd say the same to anybody in 1st year. the pre reg system is only going to get worse and the fee the PSI will charge will be astronomical in 4/5 years. (looking at at least 5k). most 1st years and leaving cert students won't know about this and the universities aren't going to tell them about the fee.

Advertisement