Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assistance in Making a Budget 1/2 Build PC for General Use

• 23-07-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 10 year old dell that over time I replaced some parts in.

Purpose:
    I need it for general browsing and office use, light gaming (fluid Sims 3 at max specs) and speedy day-to-day use

Budget:
    <€250 ideally (€300 at an absolute push)

I have:
    • Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
    • HDD: 1TB HDD
    • 2 x 2GB Ram (I think)
    • A 120 GB SSD (uninstalled, currently windows is on the HDD but I'll use this in the new build)

Hoping I can retain these 3 pieces and change the rest.
    So I'm looking for suggestions on the below compatible components:

I need:
    • MoBo
    • Processor
    • Tower & Fans
    • Power Source
    • Optical Drive
    • Sound Card - if required, don't know much about this tbh
    • Ram - if required (I'm pretty sure it has 2x2Gb)

I've included the System Specs and DxDiag below for reference

System Information
    Time of this report: 7/22/2015, 14:18:50
    Machine name: CORMACDELL-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150525-0603)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Dell DM061
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 2.4.0
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4030MB RAM
    Page File: 2380MB used, 5677MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GT 240
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0CA3&SUBSYS_83261043&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 2737 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
    Shared Memory: 1758 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: DELL 1907FP
    Monitor Id: DEL4014
    Native Mode: 1280 x 1024(p) (60.020Hz)
    Output Type: HD15
    Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.2049 (English)
    Driver Version: 9.18.13.2049
    DDI Version: 10.1
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 6/21/2013 13:06:36, 15144928 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4FE3-11CF-F27B-2BA31FC2C435}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x0CA3
    SubSys ID: 0x83261043
    Revision ID: 0x00A2
    Driver Strong Name: oem5.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section002:9.18.13.2049:pci\ven_10de&dev_0ca3
    Rank Of Driver: 00E02001
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C
    AGP Status: Enabled

Sound Devices
    Description:
    Default Sound Playback: No
    Default Voice Playback: No
    Hardware ID:
    Manufacturer ID:
    Product ID:
    Type:
    Driver Name:
    Driver Version:
    Driver Attributes:
    WHQL Logo'd:
    Date and Size:
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider:
    HW Accel Level: Emulation Only
    Cap Flags: 0x0
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
    HW Memory: 0
    Voice Management: No
    EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
    I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
    Drive: C:
    Free Space: 885.8 GB
    Total Space: 953.9 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: WDC WD10EARS-00MVWB0 ATA Device

Drive: D:
    Model: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A ATA Device
    Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.01.7601.17514 (English), , 0 bytes

EVR Power Information
    Current Setting: {5C67A112-A4C9-483F-B4A7-1D473BECAFDC} (Quality)
    Quality Flags: 2576
    Enabled:
    Force throttling
    Allow half deinterlace
    Allow scaling
    Decode Power Usage: 100
    Balanced Flags: 1424
    Enabled:
    Force throttling
    Allow batching
    Force half deinterlace
    Force scaling
    Decode Power Usage: 50
    PowerFlags: 1424
    Enabled:
    Force throttling
    Allow batching
    Force half deinterlace
    Force scaling
    Decode Power Usage: 0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Intel Pentium G3220 E50
    Zalman Z4 E20
    250w PSU E25
    CD Drive E15
    4gb DDR3 E30
    H81M motherboard is E60-70
    Total is E220 or so.

You can get a nicer case if you want, the Zalman is bottom of the barrel. BitFenix and Lian Li have nice ones.

Any questions, ask away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Go second hand? You can pick up a very nice 775 socket mobo for 15 quid on flea bay, throw an e8400 for 15 quid at it and bobs yer uncle. I still run a P5qe board and a q6600 quad core. Still better than any i3.

FortySeven wrote: »
    Go second hand? You can pick up a very nice 775 socket mobo for 15 quid on flea bay, throw an e8400 for 15 quid at it and bobs yer uncle. I still run a P5qe board and a q6600 quad core. Still better than any i3.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600-vs-Intel-Core-i3-4160
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Duo-E8400-vs-Intel-Core-i3-4160

Not even a close call. I'd assume he wants a machine that's new, no point upgrading from a 10 year old machine to an 8 year old one for the sake of less than 100 quid

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G3220-vs-Intel-Core2-Duo-E8400

Look at that, the Pentium wins out too. As well as being new.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600-vs-Intel-Core-i3-4160
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Duo-E8400-vs-Intel-Core-i3-4160

Not even a close call. I'd assume he wants a machine that's new, no point upgrading from a 10 year old machine to an 8 year old one for the sake of less than 100 quid

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G3220-vs-Intel-Core2-Duo-E8400

Look at that, the Pentium wins out too. As well as being new.

Pentium v e8400 comes in too close to call in that link. Just going with the budget call. 100 quid is a chunk of money when it's 75% of your budget. Granted, the pentium is good too. The e8400 lasts forever, the pentium?

Its >35% higher in 5 of the 6 benchmarks? Hardly too close to call.

And it's 40% of the budget, not 75%. I stand by what I said, upgrading from an 10 year old CPU to an 8 year old one is a very loose use of the term upgrade.

Last statement doesn't even deserve a response it's so bizarre.

OPs call at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

Its >35% higher in 5 of the 6 benchmarks? Hardly too close to call.

And it's 40% of the budget, not 75%. I stand by what I said, upgrading from an 10 year old CPU to an 8 year old one is a very loose use of the term upgrade.

Last statement doesn't even deserve a response it's so bizarre.

OPs call at the end of the day.

It is the conclusion posted on the page you linked.
    No winner declared

Too close to call

If you take into account the cost of the newer mobo then it is more than 40% of the budget but I didn't come here to start an argument, merely suggest an alternative.

My 'bizarre' comment is not so bizarre, the e8400 has been tested to destruction by overclockers globally and is renowned as an extremely sturdy long living cpu. It is still going strong today. Will the pentium? Who knows?

Newer is not always better. What I am suggesting is still an enormous upgrade from what he has at the moment.

That's not to say your suggestion carries no water. It is a good suggestion too. Like you said it's the OPs call.

I retired a pentium 2 pc in use in a business environment just a few weeks ago, still working away. Old sometimes means more robust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A Q6600 still better than any i3? :confused:

E8400 too close to call over the G3220? Honestly not sure if this is a wind up...

Don't know why people bother with pointless synthetic benchmarks, they're just that, pointless. Look at real world benchmarks, the G3220 is light years ahead of the E8400...

Go with Digital's suggestion, it's just easier, will perform way better, and gives you the future proofing element, not to mention warranty on the parts. A basic H81m board will cost a lot less than 60-70 though, more like 40-50.
    My 'bizarre' comment is not so bizarre, the e8400 has been tested to destruction by overclockers globally and is renowned as an extremely sturdy long living cpu. It is still going strong today. Will the pentium? Who knows?

That is a bizarre statement. Boards certainly die but CPU largely don't. In all my years using 100's of CPU's I have yet to see one die. The OP is looking for a basic machine...he's hardly interested in how the processor he chooses copes with being 'overclocked to destruction'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Intel Pentium G3220 E50
    Zalman Z4 E20
    250w PSU E25
    CD Drive E15
    4gb DDR3 E30
    H81M motherboard is E60-70
    Total is E220 or so.

You can get a nicer case if you want, the Zalman is bottom of the barrel. BitFenix and Lian Li have nice ones.

Any questions, ask away.

Thanks for the suggestions, is there any specific parts I should be looking at on any specific websites, I know last time I had help building a PC there was worlds apart between 2 Graphics cards that looked to me like they had the same specs :D

Intel Pentium G3220 E50
    Zalman Z4 E20
    250w PSU E25 BeQuiet, Corsair
    CD Drive E15
    4gb DDR3 E30 Crucial, Kingston
    H81M motherboard is E60-70 MSI, ASRock, Gigabyte
    Total is E220 or so.

Any questions, ask away.

Just added some brands to look at there. I'd go Amazon. My prices are from hwvs but they're all up in ****e recently, should be fairly similar from Amazon.

To be honest if you read out the specs of a GPU to me I'd look at you like you've two heads, I know the names and how they perform!

*edit Misunderstood what you were asking. Get them all from the same spot

To answer your points,
    A Q6600 still better than any i3? confused.png
    Granted, I stepped over the mark with 'any' the newer versions can hold their own. However, there are plenty older I3s that are pitiful and the q6600 performs so much better.
    Don't know why people bother with pointless synthetic benchmarks, they're just that, pointless.

Agreed, I didn't start with the comparisons. Just suggested something and god forbid it was not the norm....
    E8400 too close to call over the G3220? Honestly not sure if this is a wind up...

Did you look at his link? It is not me claiming this, CPU boss in the link he provided have that written at the bottom of their comparison. This is the conclusion of the people making the comparison that he is using as the basis of his argument. I was merely pointing this out.

As it happens I have just deployed 26 lenovos at work with the pentium G3220. I also deployed an I3, I forget which one and an I5 in recent months. The I5 is mine and blows the other machines out of the water with our multiple programs and platforms. The I3 is terrible, slow and unresponsive under the same load.

The pentium performs OK, I tried to influence towards the I5 but budget didn't allow. The pentium is an admirable budget chip. The E8400 will perform in the real world exactly the same, the OP is hardly rendering mass video. I offered a budget option is all.

Future proofing? How exactly does a budget chip that will never be clocked offer future proofing?

Failed CPUs, I've seen one or two in my time but you are correct, the board will go first usually. I was replying to the idea that somehow old is worse and new is better. It reminds me of the 2 year old car is better than a 4 year old car argument. Pure codswallop.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,
    Thanks very much for your feedback.
    going to avoid HWVS for now cause of the whole "Administration" thing.

So would the following be good together??:

Processor: €75
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/intel-pentium-dual-core-s1150-g3220-3-00ghz-3mb-8XTF.html?q=Intel%20Pentium%20G3220&src=16

Power Supply: €30
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-350w-vs350-vs-series-350-watt-psu-BH9J.html?src=3

Optical Drive: €15
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-super-writemaster-sh-224fb---dvd-rw---r-dl----dvd-ram-drive---serial-ata-BCV2.html?src=3

RAM: €35
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/kingston-4gb-2400mhz-ddr3-non-ecc-cl11-dimm-xmp-hyperx-savage-9QMY.html?refs=468490000-52270000&catid=15031&src=2

Tower: €28
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/zalman-t4-black-mini-tower-case--m-atx-m-itx--935H.html?src=3

SUGGESTIONS FOR MOBO?

Thing is, I haven't a clue about which MOBO is which and what one I need:
    http://www.dabs.ie/search?q=H81M

ALSO
    I can't tell if I need fans or what? Or a sound card? Or is the Graphics Card also the sound card?

Sorry for being so vague

http://www.dabs.ie/products/msi-h81m-p33-s1150-intel-h81-ddr3-matx-8ZC4.html?q=H81M&src=16

That board is fine. For general use, no you won't need a sound or graphics card.

Fans should be included too.

You could have a look at Amazon for some of the stuff, the processor alone is only €58 on amazon.de

Cool, all ordered now for the sum of €230

Thanks all :)

Advertisement