Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age were you adopted at?

• 12-05-2011 9:29am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering where the 1st 3 months of my life went.
    I wasn't given to my parents until I was 3 months old and they got me from think it was Haddington road (I forget but it was around there).
    I was adopted through St Patricks guild and Sr Gabriel.
    Other people were adopted at a few days old so I am wondering does anyone have any idea why I would have been 3 months old?
    I really need to start an official search.
    Why am I wondering this now? My 2nd daughter is now 3 months old and I could not imagine her with out a mammy to love her and mind her.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Not adopted but my partner was adopted at 6 weeks by an agency in Marlborough Street... He was in St Patricks Guild until then...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My parents got a call went in and were handed me after what my aunty calls the longest pregnancy ever;)
    They had no idea they wee getting me that day, my granny went to my aunts house got a load of stuff then came to visit us,and my parents had to stop in the shop on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

I was adopted at 6 weeks old. I know I went from the hospital at 5 days old to temple hill and then back to the agency to be handed over then. This was in the early 80's. My sister was also adopted at 6 weeks old.

I've often though about what it must have been like as a baby for them first 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

i was adopted at nearly 3 months too, i was in the sacred heart mother and baby home bessbrough cork and my birthmum looked after me their till she brought me to dublin to be handed over to my adoptive parents. kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭flipall

The date of adoption on my birth cert is ten months after my dob, i recently met a social worker who just told me "oh you would have been in a home", i dont know which one or if i want to know!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ms Marple

I was adopted at 10 weeks old (mid-70s, mid-west). Moved from the hospital to a foster home, but the lady there fell ill, so moved to a second foster home. That family were going abroad, so to avoid placing me with a third family the agency called my parents out of the blue and asked them to collect me the following day! They had nothing bought, my Dad dashed out to get a cot :). My BM had already signed all the paperwork, so was it the agency's own paperwork that caused the delay? Everytime I meet a 2 1/2 month old baby it reminds me of how aware they are of different people and their surroundings. Good thing we don't remember that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I wasn't given to my parents until I was 3 months old and they got me from think it was Haddington road (I forget but it was around there).
    Other people were adopted at a few days old so I am wondering does anyone have any idea why I would have been 3 months old?
    Why am I wondering this now? My 2nd daughter is now 3 months old and I could not imagine her with out a mammy to love her and mind her.

Aww... I was in a foster home for almost three months. My adoptive parents met the foster parents and said they were great.

I understand the delay was just administrative (paperwork etc) so presume it could have been the same for you....

• Registered Users Posts: 21 emma11811

I was 14 months old when i was adopted i often wonder why ther were no bady photos of me as i was told i was three days old when adopited,it was only when i went to find information i was told the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi, i was given to my adopted parents at 3 months but my birthmother never signed the final consent papers till i was 8 months old and my adoption was made legal when i was 10 months old.
    so even though we where living with our adoptive parents.our adoptions would not have gone through till months if not years later...kathy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think I was around 2 when the adoption finally went through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

flipall wrote: »
    The date of adoption on my birth cert is ten months after my dob, i recently met a social worker who just told me "oh you would have been in a home", i dont know which one or if i want to know!!
    I think I was around 2 when the adoption finally went through.

I was 6 days old I think, and that was in the mid-80's, but the official date of adoption I have is when I was around 6 months old... I think that was when the adoption papers were actually signed and it was all official!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

think I was 6 months old when I was adopted. My wife sometimes gets sad when she looks at our young baby and other son. I just feel happy that I can give them the love that I didnt have for those first few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Six weeks old in 1972.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jellybee

I was adopted at 4mnths old in 1982. I was in pre-adoption foster care before mum and dad were approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jigsaw07

six weeks old in 1983

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mazdoll

As birth mother you were given a 6 week period after the birth and your baby was placed in foster care, during this time you were allowed see your baby dependant on the agency or nun that was dealing with you, after that time the adoption process began. If my memory is right it was then at 6 months the adoption was finalised. Might answer the time frame. Sorry if it sounds very cold, it doesnt mean to be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I think I was 7 or 8 weeks old- and a very very suspicious baby when I was adopted. I refused to accept a bottle from any women- my adoptive dad was the only one who I'd feed for. There were lots of funny things the first few days- like the adoptive agency never told them any of the basic things- the teeth of bottles needed to have a hole pierced in them with a hot needle for example- and baby isn't getting any food, if you don't see bubbles........ :D

I was told that the reason I was 7 or 8 weeks of age was because I had a heart murmur and had been hospitalised before being adopted, in St. Finbars in Cork. I've never been able to confirm this- and when I suggested to Bessboro that it might be nice to give me some info- the response was, go get a court order........ nice........ :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Shpuds

I was adopted at 3 weeks from Italy to my Irish parents in 1983.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CarrieMae

I was assigned to my parents (if that's the phrase!) at 1 day old but was 3 months before I went home. Had originally been intended for another couple (which I always wondered about)
    Haddington Road, Sr Gabriel in 1975

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

smccarrick wrote: »
    ...the response was, go get a court order........ nice........ :confused:

Really???:eek::(:mad:

I was 18 months old. I presume I was hanging around Patricks Guild till then like the puppy no-one wants.:o That would have been around late 1977.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I was 12 weeks I think. A foster home until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 aprilbaby

I was fostered for 6 weeks and then placed with my parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 shortstuff

Hey Moonbeam,

I was adopted when i was just over a month old. My bio mum was under age at the time and her mum had to sign the papers but the staff on the maternity ward fixed it somehow that we were both able to stay in the hospital for the first month of my life, and she got to spend that time with me. It was only a couple of days later that my adopted parents got to take me home.
    I get why you're starting to question the whos what's and why's of your first three months, it's seems that there is so much to do and appreciate with a baby in those three months. Hopefully you'll find your answers.

Oh and congrats on the birth of the babs. Hope everyone is doin good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 whitemoon

Hi,

My hubby was 2yrs and 9 months when he was adopted from Temple Hill. Born in 1967.

Thank you everyone for your replies:)

I wish there was not so much about our own lives that we did not know:(

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LennieB

I was adopted at 3 months also from Cork. I never really had an interest in finding out any information about my background growing up (to be honest I thought that it would never be possible). My adoptive parents had told me all they know, basically I was born in England and my birthmother was Irish and wanted me adopted and brought up in Ireland. When I was 33 (I'm 40 now) the publicity about the Contact Register was going on and that sparked an interest. I also began to wonder about my first 3 mths and that missing piece of the jigsaw.
    I ended up contacting the HSE in Cork, just to see if they had a file on me, met the social worker a couple of months later and that turned out to be a hugely emotional day for me. There was a lot of information on my file about me, and both my birthparents. Obviously it was just firstnames, county etc as it was all non-identifying but lots of info on their families, interests etc. To cut a long story short I went to London a few months later to get my original file and birth cert (which I was entitled to being born in England) - another V emotional day, got all original records from the hospital where I was born etc. I also got the full names of my birthparents so when I came home I went to the records office and discovered my birthparents married 2 years after I was born.
    To cut a long story short (again!), we made contact through the social worker in Cork, wrote to each other over couple years and met 3 years after I first initiated search. They subsequently had 2 more children who know nothing about me.
    We have a nice relationship now, met up once since and due to meet soon again. Also keep in contact by text etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I was adopted at 3 months old. For those three months I was with a foster family in Kildare. I wish there was a way of finding them too as I imagine there is a curiousity of what happened next for both sides.

Through which agency?
    I like to believe I was with my mammy but we all like to have romantic thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

I was 6 weeks old when my parents adopted me from St Pats, the consent was signed a year later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Adopted at 8 weeks, don't know anything about those eight weeks, and don't want to know either.Happy with my family as is and no interest in digging up the past.

Advertisement