Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon, June 4th 2012.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

85 days to go - did a very slow 14 miles today.
    Was hoping for a sub 4hr time again this year but will see how training goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

For any experienced runners, how does this rate in difficulty when compared with Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

alitoast wrote: »
    For any experienced runners, how does this rate in difficulty when compared with Dublin?

I'd say it's similar, there are less hills in cork but less cheering crowds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Thanks menoscemo, i am hoping to do both but i have a new arrival due in late September so that might mean Dublin is out.

(Oh and i'd be the father by the way:D:D, my wife is great but a marathon 4 weeks after giving birth?!?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

A reminder to sign up before the end of next week as the price goes up from 65 to 75 then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A reminder: If anyone is interested in putting a relay team from here together, give me a shout. If it's going to happen, would like to get it entered before the price goes up. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A reminder: If anyone is interested in putting a relay team from here together, give me a shout. If it's going to happen, would like to get it entered before the price goes up. :)

The relay is great fun. You get to run in a big event, but also get to watch it as well so best of both worlds. You are also a bit fresher at the end of it for the drinking that follows. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

alitoast wrote: »

Despite some claims to the opposite, Cork is a bit easier than Dublin as far as the elevation profile goes. You do get a lot more support from the sidelines in Dublin, though.

Having said that, there's not much difference. If you can do the one you can do the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Despite some claims to the opposite, Cork is a bit easier than Dublin as far as the elevation profile goes. You do get a lot more support from the sidelines in Dublin, though.

Having said that, there's not much difference. If you can do the one you can do the other.
    +1

the biggest difference is potentially the weather, last year was near perfect in Cork- previous years have varied between very warm (personally find running in hot weather hard going) to very wet, but it's all luck of the draw i guess.

• BobMac104 wrote: »
    A reminder to sign up before the end of next week as the price goes up from 65 to 75 then.

Thanks. You saved me a tenner. You're also kinda to blame for the 15 mile lsr I'll have to face into today...

• Advertisement

BobMac104 wrote: »

Thanks. You saved me a tenner. You're also kinda to blame for the 15 mile lsr I'll have to face into today...

Mine is tomorrow and i can feel a slogfest coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Going to slog it out for 15 today myself. Have raced 3 of the last 10 mile races at about 7.50 pace so hoping the jump to 15 miles at 9.30 pace wont be too much of a shock to the system...

Still not decided on if im doing the half marathon or full yet, but I think I am going to have a good idea in the next 2-3 hours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fowler1

Doing the half myself ,stepped up the training today with 16.
    Hoping to break 78 looking forward to it now.

• nellocono wrote: »
    Going to slog it out for 15 today myself. Have raced 3 of the last 10 mile races at about 7.50 pace so hoping the jump to 15 miles at 9.30 pace wont be too much of a shock to the system...

Still not decided on if im doing the half marathon or full yet, but I think I am going to have a good idea in the next 2-3 hours :pac:

Did 15 at 9 pace. Didn't have too much in the tank by the end.

Just signed up. agh!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

I've signed up and it will be my 1st. Training has been start/stop at the moment. Travel with work, a few knocks from my body not being used to the longer runs have me questioning am I mad but I am aiming for 4 hours so fingers crossed I get a good run of luck and get back to my plan fairly soon.

Best of Luck with it...

Haven't signed up for it but did my first 16 mile run on Saturday which included some extreme hills for about 3-4 miles (starting at mile 10). Legs (particularly the hamstrings) were completely shattered from it but I was almost fully recovered by Monday so I am hoping things are progressing along well enough...Only running 35-40 miles a week though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Signed up a few weeks back.

I'm a Cork native so I'm familiar with the route making it psychologically easier for me. (did 2 legs or 11 miles last year via relay and 5 miles in previous years).

Dublin was my first Full last October and the only goal was to finish. (4:04 in the end). I wasn't at all familiar with the route. Looking to knock at least 20 mins off that for Cork.

I must say that the finish in Dublin is brilliant with the route thronged for the final 3 miles. It makes all the training worth while. From the Carrigrohane straight road in, the crowds won't be as hefty which is a slight concern tbh.

• foxyboxer wrote: »
    I'm a Cork native so I'm familiar with the route making it psychologically easier for me. (did 2 legs or 11 miles last year via relay and 5 miles in previous years)

I'm thinking the opposite. Lived in Cork for a while, wife worked there for a long time, living in Kerry so go there a lot, and hoping that the familiarity won't be off putting. I'd rather not be thinking how far it is to go every few miles.

Doing about 30-35 miles a week at moment, in 3/4 runs. Think I need to tack on more, but that would be at the expense of other activities like climbing and hiking and really don't want to give them up for weeks, not in this weather.

have started running 35 - 40 miles a week now myself and am starting to find it a bit tough going although I am only on my second week :rolleyes:...spreading it over 4 runs. Ideally I know it would be better to be doing more runs in prep for a marathon but I dont think I can take it...Build up too fast and I risk wipe out...

I think last week was a big week in term of running for me though and I hope I am seeing the after affects of that now. Last Mon I raced Mallow 10 (miles). Then Tues did 6, Thursday 7 and 16 on Sat...Never did a week like that before so I guess it will tire me out.

Next few runs I think I will take super easy and just get the mileage in while hopefully recovering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

The race is on my doorstep so I dont think I have it in me to just ignore it. Cork isnt the focus for me this year but I feel that I might run it, no harm to support the event anyway.

My question is about pacing or more specifically, acting as a pacer. The idea of giving a little back appeals to me, with others having paced for me in the past.
    In terms of experience, Cork would be my 10th Marathon. PB: 3:05:00 and hoping for sub 3 in Berlin later this year. I would be happy to pace 4hrs in Cork.
    If others here have experience of pacing, am I the type they would be looking for or will they have plenty of volunteers.

I know the obvious thing is to e-mail the organisers, but would be interested in hearing from some runners here 1st. Dont think I could deal with being rejected by the organisers :D ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

PM hunnymonster
    She's looking after the Cork pacers this year - don't know how many she has already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The pacer slots got assigned at the start of February; if you contact Hunnymonster, she might put you on the waiting list or at least keep your name for next year.

You should probably get the mods to give you access to the pacers forum.

With a 3:05 PB you qualify for any slot from 3:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

RayCun wrote: »
    PM hunnymonster
    She's looking after the Cork pacers this year - don't know how many she has already.
    The pacer slots got assigned at the start of February; if you contact Hunnymonster, she might put you on the waiting list or at least keep your name for next year.

Thanks Lads.
    Appreciate that and I will PM Hunnymonster.

Before posting last night, I had a google and saw that they were looking for pacers a month or so beforehand in 2010 - I guess this was the 1st time they had pacers. Good to see so much interest these days as its a great help to people on the day.

Will they have a 3.45 pacer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

nellocono wrote: »

yep, there should be at least 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Wexford1996

I have a question in relation to the registration. Considering doing Cork as my first marathon and had hoped to travel down on race day but the registration is only on the Saturday and the Sunday. Is it possible to get someone to do the registration on my behalf or do I have to do it in person. Obviously if not it would require travelling down on the Sunday and booking accommodation for the Sunday night. I would appreciate any help in relation to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

nellocono wrote: »

2 sound blokes john desmond and Paul brunnock. Your in very good hands with those 2 lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I have a question in relation to the registration. Considering doing Cork as my first marathon and had hoped to travel down on race day but the registration is only on the Saturday and the Sunday. Is it possible to get someone to do the registration on my behalf or do I have to do it in person. Obviously if not it would require travelling down on the Sunday and booking accommodation for the Sunday night. I would appreciate any help in relation to this.
    I had somebody else register on my behalf last year no problems.

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    2 sound blokes john desmond and Paul brunnock. Your in very good hands with those 2 lads.

This the 'John Desmond' who writes the Cork Running blog...?

Advertisement