Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has Ireland gone too PC?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

No
    But not worse, and that's the point.

you've lost me there OK-Cancel-Apply, i was simply making the point that i treat everyone equally, and am happy to rely on my tact, discretion and savvie to guide me when i interact with others, so that i don't untentionally do or say anything that might offend them. i don't believe anyone who's been reasonably well brought up needs a new set of rules, drawn up by self rightious 'tongue cluckers' for something the basic principles of mutual respect already covers.

Having said that, if i met someone and they looked like a c*nt, and sounded like a c*nt, i'll probably think they were a c*nt, the fact that they might be gay, black, fat, jewish, roma or disabled wouldn't come into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Maybe I shouldn't have underlined that part of your post, Marcsignal, as I really had all of it in mind. But by treating everyone 'equally', do you mean that if you talk to a gay man, you might call him a fag, as that's what you might say to your buddy? Or would you avoid the word until you knew it wasn't a problem?

Your message was itself a reply to someone else who thought the whole idea of 'PC' was like 'thought police'.

The whole idea of PC-ness is to minimize the spreading of ignorance and falsehood about minorities, and also to serve as a barrier to 'racism through the back door'. I'm just highly suspicious in general of people who deride it. People have been catagorising, labelling and offending other people since the dawn of humanity. Political correctness is a progressive concept, and not a bad one. Since most people in Ireland really don't have much time for immigrants and foreigners (source), I think we could do with being a bit MORE PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

No
    Maybe I shouldn't have underlined that part of your post, Marcsignal, as I really had all of it in mind. But by treating everyone 'equally', do you mean that if you talk to a gay man, you might call him a fag, as that's what you might say to your buddy? Or would you avoid the word until you knew it wasn't a problem?

Your message was itself a reply to someone else who thought the whole idea of 'PC' was like 'thought police'.

The whole idea of PC-ness is to minimize the spreading of ignorance and falsehood about minorities, and also to serve as a barrier to 'racism through the back door'. I'm just highly suspicious in general of people who deride it. People have been catagorising, labelling and offending other people since the dawn of humanity. Political correctness is a progressive concept, and not a bad one. Since most people in Ireland really don't have much time for immigrants and foreigners (source), I think we could do with being a bit MORE PC.

The whole essence of the Irish PC drive in my mind was to create an importance to race and ethneticity,gender and sexual orientation where before it didnt exist.

Sowe teach our kids in schools and advertise in our workplaces that it exists and use the language of racism to do it.

It then becomes what sociologists call a "self fulfilling prophesy" created by the PC machine- which is what I think is happening.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

being gay was never a problem in Ireland?

being a woman was never a problem in Ireland?

I don't know if being black was never a problem in Ireland, but I'd be very very surprised the people who convicted their daughters to nunneries for getting pregnant were really as 'ethnically sensitive' as you seem to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

No

I don't know if being black was never a problem in Ireland, but I'd be very very surprised the people who convicted their daughters to nunneries for getting pregnant were really as 'ethnically sensitive' as you seem to think.
    Yeah because being gay wasn't legalised here till 1991

• Advertisement

No
    ya mean being gay is legalised:eek:

thought something was up after all RTE is gay - they broadcast racing from Fairyhouse what more proof do ya need.

Next ya ll be tellin me women have the vote.

No

Im not saying they were sensitive people but I have black friends that I have never really been aware of their colour.

The magdeline sisters was so long ago - my older sister told me that when she was doing her Inter 30 years ago the nuns prayed for a girl that something serious had happened to. The whole town got the rumour that she had advanced lukeimia or something. A few financial donations to the baffled parents etc which went to buying babyclotes and a pram etc:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/gardai-hunt-for-sex-attacker-after-string-of-violent-assaults-1477010.html

I had seen this photo in the shop today, took ages to find one online.

Anyone find it odd that there has been seemingly no mention whatsohever of the type of accent this guy has? Summit stinks and it is quite frankly dangerous. And how this went 19 probable attacks without any type of photofit or description of possible nationality is amazing.

Of course, this being Ireland any death will followed by an inquiry recommending the authorities should have done the fcuking obvious before the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Flipz4Rollz

No
    connundrum wrote: »
    Culchies, fordiners and dwarfs need to cop themselves on.

PCness - down with this sort of thing! Careful now

FYP

Advertisement