Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strangest PPV's

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Motivated by this thread I decided to watch some of Halloween havoc. Before the sumo monster truck battle they had the monster truck designer sitting with the announcers and it was a serious interview about the trucks design. After The Giant fell off the building they went back to the announcers and the monster truck designer asked "was that supposed to happen?"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

After reading this thread I decided to watch the uncensored 1996 main event. What the actual **** did I just watch ? Ze gangster ?it sounds like a bad german rapper and he was clearly a shocking wrestler, and the the other guy should have been called the missing link not the ultimate solution.

And lex Luger bugged me with his shouting when he was hit. Stop it. All in all it was an utter mess. And the commentators asked "what has wcw become ?" A cluster**** it appeared. I can't unwatch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

WWE Royal Rumble 2014 & 2015 & WWE Fastlane 2015 for the booking of Daniel Bryan
    I know Dave Meltzer said if your fed up with WWE there's plenty of other great wrestling out there other than WWE but what do you do if your favourite wrestler is Daniel Bryan + the fact it doesn't bode well for Finn Bálor or the other guys coming up
    the message is it doesn't matter if you're good wrestler or over, just a quick thing what does it matter if you see a brilliant wrestling match if you're not emotionally involved or care about the participants what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Not a PPV but this is beyond weird.

ECW vs USWA on WWF Raw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Omackeral wrote: »
    Not a PPV but this is beyond weird.

ECW vs USWA on WWF Raw.

What's the story behind this?

• Advertisement

There was an interpromotional feud going on between ECW and USWA called the Civil War of the 90's. Jerry Lawler ran the USWA in Memphis (it's his son Brian Christopher here competing) and Paul Heyman ran ECW in Philly.

At the time, Vince was bank rolling Paul while allowing some of his WWF talents to get some experience. Also before this time, Vince was doing a bit of business with the USWA and from what I remember, actually had debuted a prototype Mr McMahon evil owner gimmick way back then! Also, in 1996 USWA had a Royal Rumble match where the winner got a spot in the WWF 1996 Royal Rumble. It went to Doug Gilbert, he lasted about 47 seconds.

So in essence, WWF was doing a bit of business on the down low with both these smaller feds and was kind of a quasi-host for both of them to feud with WWF and each other. A mad time.

From WWF to USWA you had the likes of Owen Hart and Jim Neidhart.
    From ECW to WWF you had RVD and Sabu.
    From WWF to ECW you would get Jerry Lawler, who was also USWA aligned.
    You would get PG-13 from USWA working against ECW teams and then also being in WWF's NAtion of Domination, who got their start in Memphis.

It was weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Those were great, but confusing times! Pre Internet really. Hadn't a clue what ECW or USWA was.

Remember when Jim Corbett brought in the New Midnight Express, didn't they have some NWA belts?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Those were great, but confusing times! Pre Internet really. Hadn't a clue what ECW or USWA was.

Remember when Jim Corbett brought in the New Midnight Express, didn't they have some NWA belts?

They did. They had the NWA tag team titles which they lost to the Headbangers on Raw. Headbangers lost them back due to a rule whereby if you throw your opponents over the top rope, you get DQ'd and lose the belts.

Corny also had a loose stable built around Jarrett, the Rock n Roll Express and Barry Windham. Jeff Jarrett defended the NWA North American title on a previously mentioned PPV, No Way Out of Texas. He would defend it on a Raw also. Here's a look.

After that, they brought Dan Severn in and he had held the NWA Heavyweight Championship for literally years aswell as being the UFC Superfight Champion and he had a tag belt also I think. Looked weird on WWF TV. Edit, it appears he has 4 titles there as JC is carrying two also.
    Here's a shot:

sg-19980406_severn_flash.jpg

And before all that, there was a brief interpromotional flirtation with Smoky Mountain Wrestling. Survivor Series 1993 saw the Heavenly Bodies take on the Rock and Roll Express for the SMW Tag Team Titles.

For the earliest Mr McMahon promo, go to 20 seconds in. It's mad to think he was a few years away from embracing this. The smarmy git. He was as whitemeat as you could get on TV at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Omackerel, keep posting more of Southern wrestling history, love it!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Ageyev wrote: »
    Another utterly weird and baffling thing wqs Goldust in bondage gear reading out a Dr. Seuss poem.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Oh sweet Jesus, I managed to blank that from my my mind, thanks for reminding me. *shudder*

Not this segment per say but I thought the TAFKAG gimmick was great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Think it was mentioned already, but the first Cyber Sunday. Includes Piper and Flair winning the tag titles, sergeant Slaughter jumping up and down and then them all dancing in the ring.

Cena asking booker can he sleep with Sharmell, a lumberjill match where the girls were brought out before the vote was even decided. Kane vs snitskey do I need to explain this one. Hbk spankina bare ass edge. Also has a quote from Lance Armstrong about being a champion

Strange vibe of a ppv

Oh and Kevin Federline has just had a run in in the main event and is the last face you see as the show closes.... Wow

Advertisement