Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strangest PPV's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

gif_305x206_463945.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Wrestlemania 27 was a funny one. Seemed like it was just built for the following years Mania.Miz in the main event and actually leaving as champion. Triple H kicking the crap out of Undertaker for half an hour, I know Taker is suppose to be a mystical power and all but it wasn't believable that he could withstand all that and still win. Orton/Punk match I was looking forward to not given enough time. Don't even get me started on Lawler v Cole

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mr.Shabby

WM 9 was strange given the location and Roman themed setting. Cyber Tuesday was also a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Halloween Havoc 95 seemed mental altogether. Or at least the main event did. I only watched it a while back after OSW reviewed it.

Some mad spirits force Hogan into a Dungeon where the water - much to Hogans astonishment - was "not hot".
    They set up a monster truck match between Hogan and Show too, coz yknow the whole relationship between mystical spirits and rooftop, automotive sumo matches.
    Then they have a proper match at the end and the title changes hands through a disqualification.
    Then some Yeti turns up and start ridey-hugging Hogan.
    It all amounted to nothing too, because they stripped the Giant of the belt the next week or so.

Doesn't get much more mental than that, in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Deadlie wrote: »
    Some mad spirits force Hogan into a Dungeon where the water - much to Hogans astonishment - was "not hot".

I heard that on the review (haven't watched the ppv) and laughed when he said it then assumed I missed heard it cause it was so stupid. What made it worse is he goes "ahh" as if he was burned by the water then says "it's not hot"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Mr.Shabby wrote: »
    WM 9 was strange given the location and Roman themed setting. Cyber Tuesday was also a strange one.

Cyber Sunday? Or Taboo Tuesday? I have TT 2005? On DVD I just remember Christy Hemme being a babe and Flair in a steel cage.

Special mention for GAB 2004

Taking place during the Brand Extension, the 2004 Great American Bash was both an insult to the tradition of that event and to the fans who actually paid to see it. As an example of this, here are the midcard matches for this supposed “huge” pay-per-view:

Luther Reigns defeats Charlie Haas
    Rey Mysterio defeats Chavo Guerrero
    Kenzo Suzuki defeats Billy Gunn
    Sable defeats Torrie Wilson
    Mordecai defeats Hardcore Holly

Do any of those matches sound like ones you want to pay your money to see? Luther Reigns was a giant musclehead with the wrestling talent of a water bottle and Kenzo Suzuki was one of the biggest flops in the 2000s. Torrie Wilson and Sable are sexy ladies for sure but who wants to see them actually wrestle? Those girls couldn’t tell the difference between a wristlock and a wristwatch. Finally, the less said about Mordecai, the better.

In the main event, the Undertaker defeated the Dudley Boyz (yes, both of them) in a handicap match where Taker’s manager Paul Bearer was threatened to be covered in concrete. After the Undertaker beat the Dudleys, Taker decided that Bearer was dragging him down and covered his manager in concrete, presumably murdering him.
    Of course, later Paul Bearer was shown to be not dead but still…why end a pay-per-view that way?

Edit: It is Taboo Tuesday 2004 I was thinking of, not 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mr.Shabby

Cyber Sunday? Or Taboo Tuesday?

Sorry I meant both, that format of ppv in general. I suppose Taboo Tuesday was stranger given that it wasn't on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I heard that on the review (haven't watched the ppv) and laughed when he said it then assumed I missed heard it cause it was so stupid. What made it worse is he goes "ahh" as if he was burned by the water then says "it's not hot"

It makes so little sense. But its magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

Luther Reigns defeats Charlie Haas
    Rey Mysterio defeats Chavo Guerrero
    Kenzo Suzuki defeats Billy Gunn
    Sable defeats Torrie Wilson
    Mordecai defeats Hardcore Holly

Do any of those matches sound like ones you want to pay your money to see? Luther Reigns was a giant musclehead with the wrestling talent of a water bottle and Kenzo Suzuki was one of the biggest flops in the 2000s. Torrie Wilson and Sable are sexy ladies for sure but who wants to see them actually wrestle? Those girls couldn’t tell the difference between a wristlock and a wristwatch. Finally, the less said about Mordecai, the better.

In the main event, the Undertaker defeated the Dudley Boyz (yes, both of them) in a handicap match where Taker’s manager Paul Bearer was threatened to be covered in concrete. After the Undertaker beat the Dudleys, Taker decided that Bearer was dragging him down and covered his manager in concrete, presumably murdering him.
    Of course, later Paul Bearer was shown to be not dead but still…why end a pay-per-view that way?

In fairness, the second last match (co-main event?) was Eddie Guerrero vs JBL for the WWE Title.

And the second match of the night was John Cena vs RVD, REne Dupree, and Booker T. But the brand split left smackdown in a pretty shambolic state at times in terms of talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Halloween Havoc 95 seemed mental altogether. Or at least the main event did. I only watched it a while back after OSW reviewed it.

They set up a monster truck match between Hogan and Show too, coz yknow the whole relationship between mystical spirits and rooftop, automotive sumo matches.
    Then they have a proper match at the end and the title changes hands through a disqualification.
    It all amounted to nothing too, because they stripped the Giant of the belt the next week or so.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Best description ever

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Don't forget Giant falling off the roof, Hogan's Academy Award winning acting, and then Giant showing up later without a mark on him.

Hilarious stuff. Hilarious in a Troll 2 or the Room kind of way, but hilarious nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

There was a ppv held in Vegas back in 1999 called the Heroes of Wrestling, it was an independant ppv, using talent unattached to the big promotions of the time. If it had been broken even, the idea was to hold at least 3 more ppvs (which were already in planning stages).

Anyway, the matches were mostly made up of once popular wrestlers who no longer worked for the big companies. The best showing was from 2 Cold Scorpio and Julio Fantastico (Julio Deniro from ECW and TNA). You would also have gotten to see the Samoan Swat Team take on Marty Jannety and Tommy Rogers, Greg Valentine v George Steele, The Bushwackers v The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff, and Tully Blanchard Vs Stan Lane.

The last two matches were to be Jake The Snake Roberts vs Jim Neidhart, and the main event of Yokozuna vs King Kong Bundy.

Unfortunately Jake was at his self destructive worst, and was ... clearly ... off colour (or whatever is the nice way of saying intoxicated). His match went badly ... at one stage he was laying in the ring kissing his snake ... so badly that the mid way through the match it was changed to a tag team with Jake and Yoko vs Niedhardt and Bundy.

It's on youtube, but not great quality from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Haven't seen it but didn't the Giant no-sell a five-story fall as well?

Who was booking WCW at this time? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Got another. Capital Punishment. Only half way through the show (no recollection of watching it at the time) 1st match Kofi vs Ziggler and it's won by a sleeper and Kofi passing out, then an Obama look alike talks to Sergeant Slaughter and Vicki Guerrero sings and gets carried away. Then it's Riley vs the Miz, Riley wins thanks to the ref stopping a brief case shot and Riley his the ddt to win. Then it's show vs del rio, which ends with the ref calling an end because show can't stand properly.

Stupid booking so far, and the main event is cena vs r-truth for the WWE Championship in what must be the most predictable finish since Lesnar vs hardcore holly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Stupid booking so far, and the main event is cena vs r-truth for the WWE Championship in what must be the most predictable finish since Lesnar vs hardcore holly.

Dead right, I called outside interference from Little Jimmy well before that PPV. :pac:

The In Your House in Texas where Shawn Michaels, possibly the most over guy in the company, was replaced by......

d351c8c391ac892912ac957e49fd2757_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't hyped the life out of a mystery partner. Talking about outside stars and the likes. People thinking Goldberg was coming in. The groans are so audible when he's announced! Having said that, I love this PPV and the match itself was chaotic and very fun. 3 mania feuds in one match. Better than Fast Lane.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't hyped the life out of a mystery partner. Talking about outside stars and the likes. People thinking Goldberg was coming in. The groans are so audible when he's announced! Having said that, I love this PPV and the match itself was chaotic and very fun. 3 mania feuds in one match. Better than Fast Lane.

Wouldn't be too hard to top Fast Lane!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Fast Lane was the weirdest pay per view in a while, the February ones usually are pretty forced!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    The In Your House in Texas where Shawn Michaels, possibly the most over guy in the company, was replaced by......

d351c8c391ac892912ac957e49fd2757_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

That moment where your not sure if its that guy from Jingle All the Way or Savio Vega..... -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Savio made sense at the time if I'm remembering correctly. Wasn't he (and the other members of Los Boricuas) unofficially aligned with DX at the time? DX didn't really have a lot of options and I think Michaels was only officially replaced on the night. If anyone thought it would be Goldberg (in DX no less), they were an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Savio made sense at the time if I'm remembering correctly. Wasn't he (and the other members of Los Boricuas) unofficially aligned with DX at the time? DX didn't really have a lot of options and I think Michaels was only officially replaced on the night. If anyone thought it would be Goldberg (in DX no less), they were an idiot.

Savio did make sense yeah. The Boricuas assisted HBK in his casket match at Royal Rumble vs Undertaker and I think they were paid off for it.

As for Goldberg, well not specifically him but the way they were bigging it up suggested an outside star could come in and the internet wasn't as wide spread back then so it felt like anything could happen. Another name doing the rounds at the time was Kurrgan, who was in a monster role at the time under the tutelage of the Jackyl. Don Callis felt his in ring game wouldn't have been up to scratch at the time, or so I've read. I reckon they could've used Chyna myself, she had yet to wrestle afaik and would've been a cool pay off as a novelty. X-Pac was still a month or so away from signing and was still under contract to WCW.

Just another unusual note from that PPV, The Godwinns took on The Quebecers in a rare (and bloody heatless) heel vs heel tag team match with no build up. The Quebecers were around for about a month in early 1998 and did absolutley nothing. An odd signing.

It was also the last time Ahmed Johnson was featured in a prominent match in WWE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Those 1998 B-shows were often filled with heatless matches featuring little to no angles behind them. Mark Henry vs Vader and Bradshaw/Terry Funk vs Scorpio/Farooq are two that stand out in my memory.

In Your House 20 was Ahmed's last appearance iirc.
    The Quebecers wrestled on Shotgun for a few months in 1998, Pierre was in the Brawl for All.
    The Headbangers match had hardway blood which excited me at the time.
    They had advertised Michaels for the show even though they knew well in advance that he wouldn't appear due to the back injury. Savio had the feud with Austin in 1996 but it wasn't alluded to and their roles were reversed then. They had been doing a gang/turf angle the previous which Savio's crew was part of however it was dull as dishwater
    Overall it was another show carried by Steve Austin.

Ah Ahmed - I was full sure he was gonna be the next big thing. He was my favourite for a while there. Used to be flat out deploying the Pearl River Plunge!!! (that sounds soooooo wrong!)

I think some of the PPVS WCW did warrant a mention too. Like the PPV they did where it overran by 15 or 20 minutes, but the cable company killed the feed immediately after the 3 hr time mark was up. IIRC, they aired the Main Event (DDP vs Goldberg), the following night on Nitro, for free, prompting thousands to demand refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Survivor Series 1997 always felt weird to me whenever I watched it back. The atmosphere was already at a fever pitch going into it, and it seems like it just escalated more and more as each match passed throughout the card. I'd imagine if you had no idea of what it was that just happened, you would assume it was all part of a storyline. It's a bit like watching a movie and you know that a character is just about to get gunned down by a gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I watched the Survivor Series 1997 replay on Sky Sports days after it and it was edited. OOutsideof reading the odd Powerslam I wasn't very clued in to what was going on behind the scenes so I was baffled when Jim Ross started talking about this being Bret Hart's last match.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

nobody has mentioned tna's electrified steel cage match dudlies vs lax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

a-hole wrote: »
    nobody has mentioned tna's electrified steel cage match dudlies vs lax

I know. It's just shocking

Advertisement