Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vuelta a España Stage 9 – Aug 31st, Carboneras - Aramón**Unmasked Spoilers**

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Contador
    Froome told the truth when he said is from wasn't top...Unlike Bertie & Tinkoff who may have been down playing their chances to put it mildly

Dan Martin did a good ride...continue like that and he could move in to top 10 by end of next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Quintana
    MPFG wrote: »
    Froome told the truth when he said is from wasn't top...Unlike Bertie & Tinkoff who may have been down playing their chances to put it mildly

Dan Martin did a good ride...continue like that and he could move in to top 10 by end of next week

Has Bertie being pulling everyone else's leg concerning the state of his own? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Contador
    Has Bertie being pulling everyone else's leg concerning the state of his own? :D

Who knows, allegedly he had a broken femur and spent 6 weeks off the bike. Hard to believe his performances if that is true.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lot of sandbagging going on. He was seen out training when he claimed he hadn't even climbed back on a bike yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Have to disagree. Headless. He attacked too early and made no real inroads. The Contador attack leveraged Dans move and showed how it should be done.

In the days since his second place I feel he is riding like a desperate man - attacking for placings and getting reeled in. He is better than that and needs to be a bit more selective about when it is on. If one didn't know better one would think that he was out of contract and needs placings to get a ride for next year.

• Advertisement

Contador
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Have to disagree. Headless. He attacked too early and made no real inroads. The Contador attack leveraged Dans move and showed how it should be done.

In the days since his second place I feel he is riding like a desperate man - attacking for placings and getting reeled in. He is better than that and needs to be a bit more selective about when it is on. If one didn't know better one would think that he was out of contract and needs placings to get a ride for next year.

Emmmm...A bit harsh.....I meant on the whole he rode well...He came home with Foorme, Uran & Valverde...pretty good imo
    Maybe the attack was at the wrong moment but he still came home well
    And not every attack can be timed perfectly...He wanted to get sometime back and tried what he could ...If you look who he was with and who was ahead of him ....I think he did very well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

ROK ON wrote: »

Hindsight is 20/20.

Another day with an attack 3k out the big favourites let him go as they mark each other and he gets home and gains some valuable time. Not every attack will work out and at least he had the balls to go for it.

Finishing in a group on a summit finish with Uran, Valverde & Froome aint half bad whatever way you cut it.

Ultimately his attack and the subsequent response from Moreno cut loose Aru, Barguil and some of the other GC contenders on whom he gained time on so it was a successful attack in some way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Emmmm...A bit harsh.....I meant on the whole he rode well...He came home with Foorme, Uran & Valverde...pretty good imo
    Maybe the attack was at the wrong moment but he still came home well
    And not every attack can be timed perfectly...He wanted to get sometime back and tried what he could ...If you look who he was with and who was ahead of him ....I think he did very well

he should have held off until later though

Roquentin wrote: »
    he should have held off until later though

outside of the end result what do you base that on ?

thats like me saying well that sprinter should have followed that wheel rather than that wheel and hed have done better.

Easy to critique after the fact but outside of the end result what tactical flaw was there in his attack ?

I can point out almost as many sucessful attacks where a group of favourites let a lesser threat clip off the front with a few KM to go on a summmit finish whilst they marked each other as I can ones that failed like Martins.

D3PO wrote: »

thats like me saying well that sprinter should have followed that wheel rather than that wheel and hed have done better.

Easy to critique after the fact but outside of the end result what tactical flaw was there in his attack ?

I can point out almost as many sucessful attacks where a group of favourites let a lesser threat clip off the front with a few KM to go on a summmit finish whilst they marked each other as I can ones that failed like Martins.

the minute i saw him i go i said it was too early. Knowing when to strike is vital. Contador nailed it. perfect timing.

You sound like dan martins mother or something

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Contador

Like when Dan himself won stage 9 of last year's TdF, alright it wasn't a summit finish but it was an early attack on the last climb of the day.

Contador
    the minute i saw him i go i said it was too early. Knowing when to strike is vital. Contador nailed it. perfect timing.

maybe he is his father Neil :D
    Neil is very protective of Dan ...

Anyways I hope Dan can keep up this form and he may get a chance for a stage win and top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭daramike

Uran
    Dan's 2 best chances are stage 13 and 18, he should wait for these stages to try anything.

maybe he is his father Neil :D
    Neil is very protective of Dan ...

Anyways I hope Dan can keep up this form and he may get a chance for a stage win and top 10

a bit of a drama queen if it is neil

No I just find some of the keyboard pundits laughable. Plenty of criticism but no actual substance behind it.

As for Contador.

1) Perfect timing ? Evidnently not as he was caught on the line by arguably his main GC threats.

2) Contador has more explosion than Martin on that type of finish its very likey if Contador when first instead of Dan the result would have been very similar anyway.

Too many sky fanboys to actually apprecaite agression in stage racing it seems. You must be gutted you wont see any wheelsucking in todays ITT. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Serpa
    Whatever about Dan's attack , Contador said his attack was based on seeing Froome looking a bit suspect & so it was specifically an attack on Froome to test him out. Getting caught on the line by Purito was an irrelevance in terms of the point of the move.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Cut out the petty bickering please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'd much rather see a rider attack and fail than just sitting on a wheel all the time. I'm even liking Valverde in this race he's far more aggressive than normal.

No I just find some of the keyboard pundits laughable. Plenty of criticism but no actual substance behind it.

As for Contador.

1) Perfect timing ? Evidnently not as he was caught on the line by arguably his main GC threats.

2) Contador has more explosion than Martin on that type of finish its very likey if Contador when first instead of Dan the result would have been very similar anyway.

Too many sky fanboys to actually apprecaite agression in stage racing it seems. You must be gutted you wont see any wheelsucking in todays ITT. :rolleyes:

hes-not-the-messiah-demotivational-poster-1224779273.jpg

i bet you are dans mother, peggy martin, i bet

I'd much rather see a rider attack and fail than just sitting on a wheel all the time. I'm even liking Valverde in this race he's far more aggressive than normal.

yes i understand, but these guys are athletes and you only have so much in the tank. You have to plan tactically and execute your strikes perfectly, because you can run out of steam......

had it been contador or froome who went when dan martin went, i would have said it was the wrong time to attack regardless. 3km out in an 8% gradient with the best riders in the world, is too early IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement