Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Something I wrote that I'm interested in developing. (short)

Options
  • 23-03-2013 4:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm aware the punctuation might be a bit off in this but let me know any errors you spot. It shouldn't be too bad. Also, first post, so eh hey haha let me know what you guys think. It's something I plan to develop.

-
    'I saw the best minds of my generation-'

'**** off.'

'Oh but why,' she says, passing me the joint and picking up the laptop from the floor, 'I thought you loved all that?'

'This is not that generation,' I say placidly, smoking the joint. I shuffle in my seat to find a more comfortable position on the two-seater wicker couch that we're sitting on.

'So what's this one?' She says it absently, humoring me, looking intently at her Facebook news feed.

'That,' I say, pointing to her laptop screen. 'Is there any water in this gaff? My mouth is seriously dried up like ****ing... I don't even know.' I stand up and walk across the tiny kitchen-cum-living room of Sian's apartment, avoiding the post-party debris scattered all over the discolored grey carpet that reeks of months, maybe years, of cider and stale cigarette smoke. I stub out the joint in an overflowing ashtray on the counter. I find no clean glasses that remain from last night. Cold morning light lands on the kitchen-top from the window and hazy ribbons of green smoke coil around in it. A copy of Conrad's The Heart of Darkness is under the ashtray. It looks as if someone has been using the cover to make roaches.

'You'll have to wash one,' she says, looking up from the screen, 'does Twink have a boyfriend?'

'Who the **** is Twink?, I say, washing out a sticky Guinness pint glass stolen from some pub, probably The Rocky Road.

'Some gay guy. I think he's in your course.'

'Oh my god? A gay that does English. In Locke!'

'Your sarcasm is so unattractive.' She emphasizes the 'so' and looks back down at the screen. 'I don't think he does yenno. He's a ride.'

'And what use is that to you if he's gay?' I say, sitting back down beside her and drinking from the glass.

'None,' she sighs, 'but he's nice to look at.'

'Want some water?' I offer her the glass.

'Nah I think I'm gonna vom. Too may of them screwdrivers last night. I literally feel like my brain is jelly. And I need to clean this place. She looks around the room forlornly.

'What's happening on Facebook?' I ask.

'**** all. I think everyone's up for going to Godot on Thursday night though?' She puts the laptop back on the floor among the debris.
    'Ugh, I can't even think about drinking, or Godot, right now.' I put the water down and collapse on her on the wicker two-seater, nestling my head in her lap. She lights a cigarette and starts to play with my hair.

-
    edit* Paragraph indenting doesn't seem to work on this software. That's annoying. Anyone know how to fix this?
    edit* Got it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭kieslowski

Conrad's book is Heart of Darkness, not The Heart of Darkness.

You've spelled 'humoring' the American way.

You've used the word 'joint' three times in quite a short space, I would go with a synonym on the second or third occasion perhaps.

Would 'Oh my god?' be a question or an exclamation? Also I think God should probably be capitalised.

I think you've done a good job on the dialogue. It's convincing and flows pretty well. What's 'Locke'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Too many of them screwdrivers last night

• Registered Users Posts: 7 20centuryboy

Thanks guys.

I should've spotted the Conrad mistake. I'm reading the novel for college.
    Locke is just an imaginary place I made up for the sake of the piece. Thinking it's going to be an arts college of some sort, or an area containing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭kieslowski

Very good. I read Heart of Darkness many years ago and in a weird coincidence I picked up and read Youth today, just 53 pages but a superb novella like Heart of Darkness. If you ever watch Apocalypse Now (based loosely on Heart of Darkness) watch out for the pile of ivory tusks in Kurtz's compound visible as Willard walks out at the end. A clever little nod to Conrad's book by Coppola.

Ok slightly edited version with your greatly appreciated feedback and some extra dialogue. Have slight ambitions that I might use this as a starting point for a novel with these characters sometime soon. Trying to get at least two pages a day written anyways. Here's the new, slightly different version.

-

-'I saw the best minds of my generation—'

'**** off.'

'I thought you loved all that?' She passes me the joint and throws a ratty copy of Howl on to the floor among empty cans and bottles.

'This is not that generation,' I reply testily. I take a drag and shuffle into a more comfortable position on the uncomfortable two-seater wicker couch we're sitting on.

'So what's this one?' She says, humouring me, looking intently at her Facebook news feed.

'That,' I say, pointing to her laptop screen. 'Is there any water in this gaff? My mouth is seriously dried up like ****ing... I don't even know.' I stand up and walk across the tiny kitchen-cum-living room of Sian's apartment, avoiding the post-party debris of wrappers, cans, and bottles scattered all over the discoloured grey carpet that reeks of months, maybe years, of absorbed cider and stale cigarette smoke. I kill the joint in an overflowing ashtray on the counter. Cold morning light lands on the kitchen-top from the window and hazy ribbons of green smoke coil around one another in the shafts of sunlight. A copy of Conrad's Heart of Darkness is under the ashtray. It looks as if someone has been using the cover to make roaches. I find no clean glasses.

'You'll have to wash one.' she says, looking up from the screen. 'Here, does yer man Twink have a boyfriend?'

'Who's Twink?', I say, washing out a sticky Guinness label pint glass that's obviously been stolen from some pub, probably The Rocky Road.

'Some gay guy. I think he's in your course.'

'Oh my god! A gay that does English. In Locke!'

'Your sarcasm is so unattractive.' She looks back down at the screen. 'I don't think he does yenno, have a boyfriend I mean. He's a ride.'

'And what use is that to you if he's gay?' I say, sitting back down beside her and drinking from the glass.

'None,' she sighs, 'but he's nice to look at.'

'Want some water?' I offer her the glass.

'Nah I think I'm gonna vom. Too many of them screwdrivers last night. I literally feel like my brain is jelly. And I need to clean this place.' She looks around the dishevelled mess of her apartment living room forlornly. Her long, white-blonde hair frames her head in tufts and tangles. She sits owl-like on the two-seater. 'How many people were even here last night?' she asks, putting the laptop on the floor.

'Dunno, like thirty.'

'Nice. And I didn't even get the ride. Wehh.' She falls across me. She smells like sweat and vodka. She starts playing with a loose piece of the wicker chair.

'Nah me neither. We know all of them too well.' I laugh. ' We've rode them all.'

'It's a disaster,' she pouts. She turns around in my lap; her thin body rotates so she can face me.

'Let's go to Godot on Thursday,' She says quickly, eyes lit up.

'Uhh are you actually serious? We spend so much time there. You haven't even got a good chance of getting the ride in that place... wading knee deep through fourteen-year-old baby-gays with fake IDs.'

'I'm not just after the ride, you.' She sits up and walks tiptoe around the cans and bottles towards the kitchenette. 'I just want to go. I'm in the mood, and it's great for dancing.' She starts rolling a cigarette.

'I'll see if I can get the money.'

'Yay. Everyone's going according to Facebook,' she sits back down beside me.

'Ugh, I can't even think about drinking, or Godot, right now.' I put the water down and collapse on her, nestling my head in her lap. She smokes her cigarette and starts to play with my hair.

'Poor Shane. Do you think you're gonna vom?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Even from that short piece i found the characters pretentious, vacuous and annoying.

Was your intention to portray them as such?

if so, then you write well.

if not, then my interpretation is probably not what you want to hear. But it's still my interpretation.

Would be interested to know what you're thinking of developing this into (as per your op) as the writing style isn't bad at all.

Yeah they're supposed to be pretentious and detestable. I'm kind of going for an Easton Ellis-esque style of writing with an unlikable narrator(s) and cast of characters, except in a contemporary Irish setting. I would like to somehow generate sympathy for the protagonist though. I just haven't figured out how without making him unrealistic.

I have ambitions of developing it into a novel but that might be aiming a bit high because I'm busy with college and stuff. I wrote this to kind of test the waters but I enjoyed it a lot and I'm happy with the result. I think the dialogue is a bit wooden though and every time I re-read it I spot new punctuation/grammar/syntax errors which is annoying but sure enough proof-reading and practice and hopefully that will improve.

Thanks for the feedback it's appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jessei

good!

jessei wrote: »
    Hey I'm no expert
    but from the little I know, listen to your mates.
    for me 'your sarcasm is so unattractive'. ( iffy)
    and..what use to you if he's gay.. (iffy)
    maybe don't smoke at a party and listen to the language
    Then you've got it...
    you're authentic....
    listen to the language.
    thumbs up

The 'so' in that first sentence should be italicized.
    The second sentence is actually "And what use is that to you if he's gay?"

I do listen to my friends and stuff and i don't know what you mean about don't smoke and listen? If that's regarding weed or something I don't actually smoke it :') I do spend a lot of time with people who do though and I do listen to the language and this is pretty much it. Different dynamic of people maybe? ha. I do think the dialogue seems wooden though somehow, which I want to fix, but then again, people in reality don't talk like they do in novels ha

Thanks for the feedback man the dialogue is definitely something I'll look into.

Advertisement