Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank bombshell for thousands of rural dwellers

• 28-07-2011 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Well the County Council approved the septic tanks during planning permission, so if they want them changed, they can pay for it themselves.

Septic tank bombshell for thousands of rural dwellers
    July 28, 2011 - 7:00am
    by Declan Tierney
    Thousands of rural houses in County Galway could face the prospect of having to replace their septic tanks under a stringent EU directive that could be implemented by the Government as early as next September.

It means that householders whose septic tanks are not compliant with EU standards will have to replace them at a cost of around €7,000.

And what will really infuriate farmers and those living in one off houses in rural areas is that their existing septic tanks are functioning perfectly but may not conform to what is required by the EU.

If the new directives are introduced, it means that every household in County Galway operating with a septic tank will be inspected by an environmental officer from the local County Council – at a cost of around €300 to the householder – to determine if they comply with the standards that have to be complied with.

In fact the number of households in the county that fall into this category has been confirmed by the IFA who are up in arms over the prospect of rural dwellers having to replace “perfectly good systems” with new state-of-the-art septic tanks.

Indeed the proposed new property tax of €100 per household almost pales into insignificance compared to what rural households face if they have to replace their septic tanks - and there are tens of thousands who will be affected even if the figure is considerably lower than the IFA estimate of up to 70,000 houses.

Tom Turley from Eyrecourt, who is Chairman of the IFA Rural Development Committee, told the Connacht Tribune that inspections were already being carried out in County Offaly on rural septic tanks even before any legislation has been enacted.

“This is a cash cow for local authorities. Householders will have to pay for inspections to be carried out, foot the bill of replacing their septic tanks and possibly pay an annual charge to have them inspected again”, Mr. Turley warned.

See full story in this week's Connacht Tribune.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭death1234567

"Hello. I'm here to inspect your septic tank, Do you have one?"
    "Yes."
    "I'm sure its fine. I'll just write on this form that it meets the EU standards so you won't have to replace your septic tank with a brand new one."
    "Okay"
    "That's €300".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Every time I read about this the cost keeps going up. First it was 4000 to replace your tank and an 80 euro a year licence. Then it was 5000 to replace the tank and 200 euro for them to inspect it now its 7000 for the tank and 300 for the inspection. Do they honestly think that householders are going to pay to get their tanks inspected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Every time I read about this the cost keeps going up. First it was 4000 to replace your tank and an 80 euro a year licence. Then it was 5000 to replace the tank and 200 euro for them to inspect it now its 7000 for the tank and 300 for the inspection. Do they honestly think that householders are going to pay to get their tanks inspected.

There's no way they'd get that sort of figure out of rural homes..
    On top of property tax & then water tax - they are talkin about this jumping up to €500 - €700 over the next couple of years...

No one is gonna dig up a perfectly good tank and replace at their own expense...
    Can't see how they would enforce this....??

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

My landlord had to put in a new tank last year for the house where I live, in order to meet building regulations, because the tank he had put in with the house when it was built a few years ago didn't meet the relevant criteria. The newer, recommended system we now have is ugly (sits above ground like a big plastic flying saucer), noisy (gurgles incessantly), smelly, and consumes electricity. It's nearly as unbelievable as the fact that, during the so-called construction boom, permission was given for houses with oil-fired central heating - in the age of peak oil and in a country where we import 90 per cent of our energy!

How I dream of building a sustainable off-grid straw-bale/passivhaus eco-house with a compost toilet, recycled rainwater, and wind and solar power generation. As it is, the only way to own your own home is to take on a massive debt to buy a house that is not even fit for purpose - that is, if you can find anyone to lend you the money. There are alternatives that make more sense, but the politicians and the building lobby have too much invested in the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Anyone have any examples of the type of septic tank they are looking for? I'll be needing one soon, best get a proper one in to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Mine is working well, it's the old type they want to get rid of. They can **** off if they think i'll change it at an expense i simply cannot afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

galwayrush wrote: »
    Mine is working well, it's the old type they want to get rid of. They can **** off if they think i'll change it at an expense i simply cannot afford.

Wonder what would happen if they said you had to get a new one and you point blank refused? fines/court/eviction from your own home?

Wonder what would happen if they said you had to get a new one and you point blank refused? fines/court/eviction from your own home?

I can't afford one, so how do i get to buy one?
    Eviction...:pac::pac::pac: Excellent, the state will then have to house me, no more mortgage payments, no more stealth taxes on my home.

• I assume you will have to have it certified that its suitable before you can sell your home

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

Over my dead body will I pay for another septic tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

is this anything to do with your username? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

built a new house a few years ago myself and dad built our own septic tank out of blocks down in a hole in the garden working fine!

• Snacker wrote: »
    built a new house a few years ago myself and dad built our own septic tank out of blocks down in a hole in the garden working fine!

:eek:

sorry, but there is no way that is not leaking raw sewerage into the water table

sorry, but there is no way that is not leaking raw sewerage into the water table

Why so?:rolleyes:
    The crap is broken down in a tank chamber before the water moves to the soakage area., i don't see why such a tank can't work

• you stated it was a septic tank made out of blocks. Is the inside lined to prevent leakage or seeping?

sorry if Im way off here, Im only going by what you posted, hence my comment that it has to be leaking sewerage

you stated it was a septic tank made out of blocks. Is the inside lined to prevent leakage or seeping?

sorry if Im way off here, Im only going by what you posted, hence my comment that it has to be leaking sewerage

Fair enough, i should have added 'if the block tank was built to a proper standard.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

galwayrush wrote: »
    Fair enough, i should have added 'if the block tank was built to a proper standard.:)

Tanks, were built block on flat in the 60s and 70's, i wonder how many of them were sealed and plastered inside!. Not sure what was saved on building that tank, over just buying a figure of 8 tank for 800 euro!

A grand now, would get you a precast tank, but if there enforcing a treatment plant, then your talking between 2500 and 4500 depending on if u go for mass concretete/Plastic/peat modules etc.
    and then there is the energy consumption.

There is a big drop behind our house and the tank is very deep in the ground and no river/lake for miles

you stated it was a septic tank made out of blocks. Is the inside lined to prevent leakage or seeping?

We don't really care what it's leaking to be honest it's very deep and it doesn't affect anyone whatsoever nearby all fields for miles downhill behind my house. We had no choice had to save money.

As far as I know it's plastered on the inside and there's some kind of outlet to let
    everything out, it was a few years now can't remember all details...

My main point is. European Union, F**K OFF

• and people wonder how crypotsporidium, ecoli etc occurs in our water

• Advertisement

and people wonder how crypotsporidium, ecoli etc occurs in our water

sure i live in the absolute middle of nowhere why does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Snacker wrote: »
    We don't really care what it's leaking to be honest it's very deep and it doesn't affect anyone

This type of attitude shows that things need to be monitored and fines need to be slapped out. People are happy to let their tanks leak in to the water table. Not good. I have spent a lot of time in and on Irish rivers and the damage from this type of thing is fairly evident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mcgarry098

what a pile of sh1t ;D ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

We don't really care what it's leaking to be honest it's very deep and it doesn't affect anyone whatsoever

Out of shight, out of mind

I'll get my coat

John_Rambo wrote: »
    This type of attitude shows that things need to be monitored and fines need to be slapped out. People are happy to let their tanks leak in to the water table. Not good. I have spent a lot of time in and on Irish rivers and the damage from this type of thing is fairly evident.

Ya but why does it matter? Most lakes near me are full of dirty rotten pike anyway! I'm one house. There's large towns near me that the gov wouldn't fund a sewage plant for the last ten years. gov should be fined out of their wages not the now non-working class!!

Out of shight, out of mind

I'll get my coat

Out of mind? p.s. we burn our rubbish too. can't afford to pay the rip off private bin fees. It makes sense to us. by the way we can't afford broadband either. I live away from home hence why im on this! it's our garden we're ruining no one elses! I know it sounds backward or whatever, but it makes most financial sense to us, which in these times is most important to us. both my parents worked all their lives. both on social welfare now for last few months.

You do know the worlds longest river is 4,000. This should give you an idea of how far water can travel, just because you think it sinks into the earth and "disappears" doesn't make it so, There is a huge amount of limestone in Ireland through which water flows underground.

The stereotype that springs to my mind is the thick country farmer who won't be told he's wrong. It still doesn't make him right though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

I will block up my tank, tell them I don't have one, and sh1te in my garden.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

we burn our rubbish too

Gas, I'm from a city and I have been broke, but I never resorted to polluting or littering.

You'd imagine most rural people would have some sort of connection with the land. Some people have no respect for the land, the rivers, themselves or their neighbours. Snacker, I'm afraid you and your parents fall in to that category.

• Advertisement

sincere113 wrote: »
    I will block up my tank, tell them I don't have one, and sh1te in my garden.....

Yes that'll make them go away. The level of stupidity from some posters here is shocking but not unexpected

Advertisement