Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what other things cause cancer do you reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

cbyrd wrote: »
    There's no money to be made from curing cancer or any other disease. There's tons of money to me made from pumping cancer causing drugs to cure cancer.. hence the 5 year cancer free limit on 'cures'.

One of the biggest causes is an acidic body. Cancer thrives in this environment and one of the worst foods for this is dairy.
    There will never be a cure for cancer. Its too big an industry now.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Chuchote wrote: »
    Doll & Hill did a follow-up study over several years using doctors. When the results came out, it had a stunning effect - it was immediately no longer the norm for doctors to smoke; virtually every doctor gave up cigarettes (doctors having before that been a heavy-smoking part of the population).

It's famous as one of the major changes over a wide population as the result of research.

Over 40% of Spanish doctors smoked during the time when Ireland banned smoking indoors.

Just a job to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Plastic food packaging.

there was that research was it last year or the year before I cant remember, but they found that the plastic cancer causing chemicals of the plastic of bottled water were leeching into the water, and that it was elevated when leaving your bottled water in sunlight or say on the dashboard -

Really shows you that even if you go down the route and give up smoking because your worried about cancer , you could still possibly get it from a lot of other sources these days. As someone said on here you cannot 'give up' everything, life wouldnt be worth living

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

there was that research was it last year or the year before I cant remember, but they found that the plastic cancer causing chemicals of the plastic of bottled water were leeching into the water, and that it was elevated when leaving your bottled water in sunlight or say on the dashboard -

Really shows you that even if you go down the route and give up smoking because your worried about cancer , you could still possibly get it from a lot of other sources these days. As someone said on here you cannot 'give up' everything, life wouldnt be worth living

Microwaved plastic food containers were implicated too, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

plus the cigarettes of years ago had no filter tips in them didnt they? i think filter tips came in the 60's or maybe 50's didnt they? - i still see the odd person smoke fags recently without tips in them or have seen them rip the filter tip off and smoke it. when my brother was growing up he smoked those menthol fags ... and bought them from the chemist i think!

Smoking is still the biggest cause of lung cancer and heart disease by a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

My oul fella only smoked the occasional cigar but still died of lung cancer. That being said for all the time that I knew him his lungs never seemed the best. Nothing debilitating like but used to get nasty coughing fits.

My answer anyway would be that I think the causes are one and too many to actively counter, from environment to diet to genes.

The best way to counteract cancer is being active in your own health. More regular thorough check ups seem to be the in thing now. By the time my oul lad was diagnosed it was too late, bloody thing was in his lungs for at least 9 months we were told.

You'd be amazed at what even a mere blood test could reveal, so yeah, I think for now it's better to worry less about cause and worry more about getting ourselves checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

True, but I've had much-loved pets that died of cancer. It's a disease. Mammals - and other animals, and plants - get it.

That said, anyone who smokes, since the studies linked it irrevocably to lung cancer and heart disease, is asking for illness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Good luck avoiding cosmic rays even hiding under half a mile of rock won't save you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Cancer seems to run in families so I think if a family member got it there's a good chance you will also.

Prostate cancer killed 2 of my uncles so that's one for me to be keeping an eye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Stomach cancer in mine. Terrified.

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    True, but I've had much-loved pets that died of cancer. It's a disease. Mammals - and other animals, and plants - get it.

That said, anyone who smokes, since the studies linked it irrevocably to lung cancer and heart disease, is asking for illness.

Apparently there's some questionable muck in a lot of pet foods these days.

i know there is a lot of ash mixed in with the cheaper dry dog food - quite a bit i think

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Mrs cockett

i know there is a lot of ash mixed in with the cheaper dry dog food - quite a bit i think

That's a disgrace

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can't see them adding ash to food.

An analysis that showed "ash" might indicate a lot of Calcium from bulking agents like calcium alginate, made from seaweed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep. The dog food industry has decided for financial reasons that it's ok to feed an apex predator cut price meat flavoured weetabix. And worse many if not most vets promote this. Some actively in their surgeries.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep. The dog food industry has decided for financial reasons that it's ok to feed an apex predator cut price meat flavoured weetabix. And worse many if not most vets promote this. Some actively in their surgeries.
    They're probably making a fortune selling it at a huge markup. Most dog people believe it's better, I don't know if it is or not, but it doesn't seem like good food for a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Smoking, drinking and a bad diet are linked heavily with cancer. Out of the 6 people off the top of my head that I know who've had it/have it, 5 of them smoke. 5 of them drink often. All of them wouldn't have the greatest diets. 2 of them specifically mentioned they'd been under a lot of stress with work before they got diagnosed and are convinced it had something to do with it. I hadn't really heard of stress being a big factor before.

Obviously some of these things are well known to contribute to cancer but some people could never smoke, drink or eat crap in their lives and still get it. Horrible disease so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ScumLord wrote: »
    They're probably making a fortune selling it at a huge markup. Most dog people believe it's better, I don't know if it is or not, but it doesn't seem like good food for a dog.

The only things dogs and cats should be eating are protein and saturated animal fats. NOT vegetables, grains and carbohydrates.

cnocbui wrote: »
    The only things dogs and cats should be eating are protein and saturated animal fats. NOT vegetables, grains and carbohydrates.
    Cats yes. Dogs can take a wider variety of foods.

Milk chocolate contains lots of saturated animal fats.
    But it's a waste to give it to dogs. Especially since it's toxic for them.

Killing coyotes with tea, coffee and chocolate
    http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1014&context=icwdm_usdanwrc

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1014&context=icwdm_usdanwrc

is (a little bit) of milk chocolate unsafe for dogs too? - i thought it was dark chocolate they couldnt have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Never ever smoked, no history of cancer in my family except for my gran on my mothers side having breast cancer late in life. I was always active and healthy just like any other kid and still got cancer at 15....... Fast forward 5 years later and like most adults in this country I'm enjoying the beers and takeaway at the weekends but still see myself as healthy and active but the same cancer comes back again (lymphoma).

No doctor or any research I've done has any answer for me as to how I got cancer twice.
    I haven't really changed my lifestyle now either as for all I know I could be changing it for the worse. Sometimes there are obvious things like smoking and diet we can do to prevent bad health but there is also the mystery ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

jimbis wrote: »
    Never ever smoked, no history of cancer in my family except for my gran on my mothers side having breast cancer late in life. I was always active and healthy just like any other kid and still got cancer at 15....... Fast forward 5 years later and like most adults in this country I'm enjoying the beers and takeaway at the weekends but still see myself as healthy and active but the same cancer comes back again (lymphoma).

No doctor or any research I've done has any answer for me as to how I got cancer twice.
    I haven't really changed my lifestyle now either as for all I know I could be changing it for the worse. Sometimes there are obvious things like smoking and diet we can do to prevent bad health but there is also the mystery ones.

Hope you're doing OK. How is the treatment going?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I can eat ball bearings and small glass marbles, but they are definitely not part of my natural diet, are probably not good for me and are definitely of no benefit to me nutritionally. Same goes for feeding carboyhydrates to predators in large quantitties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Leogirl wrote: »

Probably should have worded my last post a bit better lol, finished treatment a whole 10 years ago now and doing very well ;).
    The mental side effects however are a lot more difficult to get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

jimbis wrote: »
    Leogirl wrote: »

Probably should have worded my last post a bit better lol, finished treatment a whole 10 years ago now and doing very well ;).
    The mental side effects however are a lot more difficult to get over.

Yes I'm finding it a lot harder to get over the mental, emotional side of this than my treatments- I'm well on the road to recovery from that. The fear+ uncertainty- no so easy to get over :-)

Glad to hear you're doing so well. Hope I can say the same in 9 years :-) :-)

Anyone ever been very angry or hurt, and physically felt like there was some kind of poison in your veins?

Interested to know what the reason is but also I think that can't be healthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I posted this a couple of years ago... well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Anyone ever been very angry or hurt, and physically felt like there was some kind of poison in your veins?

Interested to know what the reason is but also I think that can't be healthy

Your body will dump stress hormones to get you ready for a threat to survival ( throwback to living in caves with tigers and dinosaur yokes around the place)

They increase cardiac output,
    increase blood flow to muscles ( so you be ready to fight the tiger ),
    decrease blood flow to your skin ( so you'll bleed less if cut ),
    slow down digestion,
    counteract insulin so your blood glucose will rise,
    and reduce anything else not related to survival ( reproductive stuff - not a good idea to be having babies when there is tigers knocking around your cave)

If there is no tiger to kill outside your cave ( end the threat to survival there and then) the above may drag on for ages. not good

gctest50 wrote: »
    Your body will dump stress hormones to get you ready for a threat to survival ( throwback to living in caves with tigers and dinosaur yokes around the place)

They increase cardiac output,
    increase blood flow to muscles ( so you be ready to fight the tiger ),
    decrease blood flow to your skin ( so you'll bleed less if cut ),
    slow down digestion,
    counteract insulin so your blood glucose will rise,
    and reduce anything else not related to survival ( reproductive stuff - not a good idea to be having babies when there is tigers knocking around your cave)

If there is no tiger to kill outside your cave ( end the threat to survival there and then) the above may drag on for ages. not good

Thanks. It's hard to describe but it was very different to the usual fight or flight thing. I know elevated cortisol levels in theselves probably aren't good for you so chronic stress in itself is bad but this was something else altogether. A truly nasty feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The above carry-on makes your immune system less enthusiastic -

not good, your immune system tries its best to kill dodgy cells :

Advertisement