Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grassroots FF and the renewal of the party

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Wider Road wrote: »
    Reading your post I am wondering why did you start this thread?

I started the thread because I felt the whole renewal and regeneration of FF was not happening. I also felt that FF has no core values to speak of .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

raymon wrote: »
    The link you provided does not answer my question.

Does anyone know what FF stands for , or Grassroots FF stands for?

I'm confused by the support for Cowen, Flynn, SF and No vote in the forthcoming referendum coming from within the FF party.

What exactly do you want to know?

The Coru of the party itself outlines the very basic aims of the party - but I assume that will not satisfy you either, considering you are just blatant anti-FF?
    1. Fianna Fáil is a National Movement. Its aims are:-

(i) To secure in peace and agreement the unity of Ireland and its people.

(ii) To develop a distinctive national life in accordance with the diverse traditions and ideals of the Irish people as part of a broader European culture, and to restore and promote the Irish language as a living language of the people.

(iii) To guarantee religious and civil liberty, and equal rights, equal treatment and equal opportunities for all the people of Ireland.

(iv) To develop the resources and wealth of Ireland to their full potential, while making them subservient to the needs and welfare of all the people of Ireland, so as to provide the maximum sustainable employment, based on fostering a spirit of enterprise and self-reliance and on social partnership.

(v) To protect the natural environment and heritage of Ireland and to ensure a balance between town and country and between the regions, and to maintain as many families as practicable on the land.

(vi) To promote the family, and a wider sense of social responsibility, and to uphold the rule of law in the interest of the welfare and safety of the public.

(vii) To maintain the status of Ireland as a sovereign State, as a full member of the European Union and the United Nations, contributing to peace, disarmament and development on the basis of Ireland’s independent foreign policy tradition.

(viii) To reform the laws and institutions of State, to make them efficient, humane, caring and responsive to the needs of the citizen.

The Coru and accordingly the central aims of the party are in the middle of a consultative review at the moment at grass roots level, but again that will not satisfy you as you seemingly are set in your incorrect belief that there is no discussion occurring within the party. Furthermore a dedicated policy conference, akin to an Ard Fheis except solely dealing with party policy, will be occurring over the Summer with the aim of further allowing ordinary members an input into the creation of party policy following on from the Ard Fheis.

Do you think the entire grassroots has one core policy in regards everything - do you think Fianna Fáil are some sort of assimilated Borg when it comes to individual members opinions? Individual opinions differ from member to member - they come together in the organisation to put forward their ideas, debate and come to a consensus in regards the formulation of policy, as is the case in each other party.

What do Fine Gael, Labour and others exactly stand for?

What exactly do you want to know?

The Coru of the party itself outlines the very basic aims of the party - but I assume that will not satisfy you either, considering you are just blatant anti-FF?

The Coru and accordingly the central aims of the party are in the middle of a consultative review at the moment at grass roots level, but again that will not satisfy you as you seemingly are set in your incorrect belief that there is no discussion occurring within the party. Furthermore a dedicated policy conference, akin to an Ard Fheis except solely dealing with party policy, will be occurring over the Summer with the aim of further allowing ordinary members an input into the creation of party policy following on from the Ard Fheis.

Do you think the entire grassroots has one core policy in regards everything - do you think Fianna Fáil are some sort of assimilated Borg when it comes to individual members opinions? Individual opinions differ from member to member - they come together in the organisation to put forward their ideas, debate and come to a consensus in regards the formulation of policy, as is the case in each other party.

What do Fine Gael, Labour and others exactly stand for?

This is my point that these are just hollow words , I mean look at 4 and 7.

Fianna fail do not reflect these principles

(iv) To develop the resources and wealth of Ireland to their full potential, while making them subservient to the needs and welfare of all the people of Ireland, so as to provide the maximum sustainable employment, based on fostering a spirit of enterprise and self-reliance and on social partnership.

(vii) To maintain the status of Ireland as a sovereign State, as a full member of the European Union and the United Nations, contributing to peace, disarmament and development on the basis of Ireland’s independent foreign policy tradition.

So my question stands ...... what does FF stand for ?? Definitely not these .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

. . .

Meh, whatever. That's your interpretation of things. You asked for some of the core aspects of the party and those are they.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Meh, whatever. That's your interpretation of things. You asked for some of the core aspects of the party and those are they.

OK I'll take a stab at it then (for transparency, I've no loyalty to any party. I'll vote for whoever I believe will actually get the job done - not line their own pockets or who performs to what I like to call the "ah shure it'll be grand" approach that is so prevalent throughout any and all branches of Irish government and state generally). Perhaps you'll have a more "detailed" response than above?

You gave us the "core beliefs" of FF as they stand today. You also mention that these are under review so maybe now is in fact an ideal time for us to address some of these...

(i) The whole United Ireland/800 years angle needs to go. Never mind that we have enough problems of our own without trying to take on responsibility for another state, where's the evidence (from both sides of the border) that says this is what the people actually want?

The facts are that when Ireland was split in two, it was a reflection of how statecraft was conducted in those times - where occupation and conquering other nations was viewed as an acceptable means of expansion. That isn't to say it was "right" or diminishes the suffering and loss (on both sides to be fair), it's merely acknowledging that that's how it was back then.

We (as a race) have now evolved beyond this - at least those of us in the so-called developed world think we have, and the successful visit of the Queen, the ending of the Troubles, establishment of the Assembly and so on is proof that we have learned other ways to resolve our problems. Yes I know that sounds a bit clichéd, but my point is that FF need to move on from the past in this regard too.

(ii) The Irish language is technically dead and has been for many years, kept alive only through state subsidy (that we can now ill afford) and a Celtic Tiger era "fad" for the language that has now also died out.

I'm not saying kill it off, but it needs to be removed as a mandatory subject from our schools (as does the teaching of the Catholic religion in our increasingly secular/multi-faith country - in addition to the well documented reasons why that faith deserves NO official sponsorship after the damage it's done to countless lives).

Again, I'm not suggesting it should be banned or something but it belongs in the home (like the teaching of Irish). If you want your children to be raised as Irish speaking Catholics then by all means do so.. but do it yourself with support from your Church and your community (as a side note it wouldn't hurt many Irish parents to take a more active role in their children's education anyway) and replace both subjects with increased focus on literacy (for example), and European languages.

I spent a few years in Holland as a child and while the kids I started school with here were being forced to learn a language most of them can't string a sentence together in, my classmates in Amsterdam had fluency in Dutch, English and usually 2/3 other languages as well. No wonder then that the Google's and Microsoft's have to go abroad to get these skills while our own people sit on the shelf.

(iv) Shell to Sea (as but one example) anyone? How does this fit with the idea of "To develop the resources and wealth of Ireland to their full potential, while making them subservient to the needs and welfare of all the people of Ireland"

(v) I think this one is equally obvious - massive rezoning of land for over development / planning tribunals etc. Need I go on?

(vii) I think our "obligations" to Europe (as we're so often reminded were the doing of FF), and the resultant enforced austerity, the German parliament getting first look at OUR national Budget and so on prove "Irish Sovereignty" has long been sold off.

When FF can come back to the Irish People with a realistic, achievable plan as to how these objectives can be met, with defined targets and metrics for judging the success of same, and equally clear penalties or consequences for failure, THEN I think we can talk about the party having achieved a "Grass Roots" reform - I'd add to this a zero-tolerance policy on corruption, parish-pump governance and general gombeenism.

Until then it's just more spin and propaganda and we are getting more than enough of that from Enda and his merry men at the moment thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

How are the opposition still the same, especially the FF part, when the Government is new?

Ah come on now, Martin, O'Dea, O'Cuiv, et al and a couple of new faces. Better still, perhaps than you may wish to enlighten me how FF are not the same? There is O'Cuiv going off at a tangent and then does not have the nerve to follow through, pathetic.

O Cuiv remained with the party , not because he agrees with the policies ,or core values but because he has nowhere else to go . Sums up FF in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

O Cuiv remained with the party , not because he agrees with the policies ,or core values but because he has nowhere else to go . Sums up FF in my opinion

Raymon, I know you're anti-FF but you were asked & declined to answer about what FG, Labour & the others stood for, why I wonder?
    Also, you said earlier that you had mixed views on the current government, what are they? Do they contrast with what they stand for or is it something else?
    Thanks in advance.

Raymon, I know you're anti-FF but you were asked & declined to answer about what FG, Labour & the others stood for, why I wonder?
    Also, you said earlier that you had mixed views on the current government, what are they? Do they contrast with what they stand for or is it something else?
    Thanks in advance.

FG and Labour stand for one thing right now ...... getting us out of the mess .

That's the core value I will judge them on.

As I said before I have mixed views on their success.
    For example property tax on properties dropping in value is not good economics.
    However I feel that Noonan will get the Anglo debt sorted.
    I also said it is too early to judge and I do believe we have had a narrow escape from the cliff ledge that FF put us on .

So let's get back on track here : on the subject of FF core values can anyone name one that FF have demonstrated. A real one this time.??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So let's get back on track here : on the subject of FF core values can anyone name one that FF have demonstrated. A real one this time.??
    To be really, really populist?

• Advertisement

FG and Labour stand for one thing right now ...... getting us out of the mess

Get real raymon, that is a core aim of every party on this island ultimately.

In regards FF, I have traditionally seen the party as promoting equality of opportunity - which is evident through education and social policies down through the years. I have also viewed the party as the promoter of community spirit within Ireland, although this was massively damaged during the Celtic Tiger when everyone became so narrow-minded and inward looking. Just two basic things to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

Thanks in advance.

I also said it is too early to judge and I do believe we have had a narrow escape from the cliff ledge that FF put us on .

So in your opinion FG & Labour stand for getting us out of this mess.
    I still don't know what you're mixed views are?
    Please explain & what don't you agree on? Your views are mixed, aren't they?

How will Noonan get the Anglo debt sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

As they are basically implementing a plan agreed by Fianna Fail, could it not be said that is the aim of FF as well?FF always wanted the less well off in society looked after, hence 4 times as many SNA's now as in 1997 despite the cutbacks

As they are basically implementing a plan agreed by Fianna Fail, could it not be said that is the aim of FF as well?FF always wanted the less well off in society looked after, hence 4 times as many SNA's now as in 1997 despite the cutbacks

FF bailed out Anglo Irish Bank . This was the most devastating event in our country's history.

Previous to that the economy was mismanaged to the point of ruin.

Let's not paint FF as a benevolent organisation. Let's not confuse populism with social conscience.

So in your opinion FG & Labour stand for getting us out of this mess.
    I still don't know what you're mixed views are?
    Please explain & what don't you agree on? Your views are mixed, aren't they?

How will Noonan get the Anglo debt sorted?

Your FG and labour questions are off topic for this thread and I am not a supporter of either party in any case . If you start another thread about FG and Lab I might contribute.
    I am still deciding whether they are doing a good job yet.

FF are the only party claiming to be reforming , regenerating, etc

And I don't know how Noonan will get the Anglo debt changed from a sovereign debt to a private debt. However reversing FFs " cheapest bailout in history " has to be accomplished.

So back on track then do you have any core value that FF can stand by and demonstrate successfully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

This is a nonsense thread that offers very little to any political debate and it should have been locked by now. The OP is clearly not interested in understanding what FF core principles are as he has shown time and again in other debates. This thread is nothing more than another opportunity for the OP to go on a FF-bashing rant which is the reason I have resisted contributing. I don't mind party bashing when it's warranted but a thread with that as its sole purpose - c'mon mods ?

You asked what FF core principles were and you were pointed to them . . Clearly you do not agree as is your prerogative but its not exactly a surprise to those of us who have been debating with you on boards for some time now is it ? ?

And before you challenge, I wont engage in the topic of the debate because you have shown time and again that when it comes to FF you are well beyond any level of objectivity . .

And when you come up with arguments like . . "I feel that Noonan will get the Anglo debt sorted." followed by "I don't know how Noonan will get the Anglo debt changed from a sovereign debt to a private debt" how can we be expected to argue with that kind of genius logic ??

This is a nonsense thread that offers very little to any political debate and it should have been locked by now. The OP is clearly not interested in understanding what FF core principles are as he has shown time and again in other debates. This thread is nothing more than another opportunity for the OP to go on a FF-bashing rant which is the reason I have resisted contributing. I don't mind party bashing when it's warranted but a thread with that as its sole purpose - c'mon mods ?

You asked what FF core principles were and you were pointed to them . . Clearly you do not agree as is your prerogative but its not exactly a surprise to those of us who have been debating with you on boards for some time now is it ? ?

And before you challenge, I wont engage in the topic of the debate because you have shown time and again that when it comes to FF you are well beyond any level of objectivity . .

And when you come up with arguments like . . "I feel that Noonan will get the Anglo debt sorted." followed by "I don't know how Noonan will get the Anglo debt changed from a sovereign debt to a private debt" how can we be expected to argue with that kind of genius logic ??

The thread for me has been very informative

The consensus with FF members is that the party stand for the following

(ii) To develop a distinctive national life in accordance with the diverse traditions and ideals of the Irish people as part of a broader European culture, and to restore and promote the Irish language as a living language of the people.

(iii) To guarantee religious and civil liberty, and equal rights, equal treatment and equal opportunities for all the people of Ireland.

(v) To protect the natural environment and heritage of Ireland and to ensure a balance between town and country and between the regions, and to maintain as many families as practicable on the land.

(vi) To promote the family, and a wider sense of social responsibility, and to uphold the rule of law in the interest of the welfare and safety of the public.

(viii) To reform the laws and institutions of State, to make them efficient, humane, caring and responsive to the needs of the citizen.

I don't believe that any of these are valid in the FF of today.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Were they ever really valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

The thread for me has been very informative

The consensus with FF members is that the party stand for the following

Like I said, you don't agree and that is your prerogative but you had made that conclusion before you started this thread !

Does your thread have any other purpose ?

Like I said, you don't agree and that is your prerogative but you had made that conclusion before you started this thread !

Does your thread have any other purpose ?

The OP is clear , to debate the definition of the real values of grassroots FF .

I referred to three recent events that prompted the thread

1) Standing ovation for Cowen by the grassroots members
    2) Support for the Flynnasty from the local grassroots
    3) O Cuivs claims that he has the support of the grassroots

All three showed that the grassroots are not part of the renewal , regeneration, or whatever is supposed to be happening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Look FFail claim to be cleaning house after every series of scandals and corruption. Anyone who buys into it is an idiot and deserves to live under another FFail government...until the next round of fraudulant behaviour comes to light, at which point they'll renew at a grassroots level :rolleyes:

All parties crave power and will, to varying degrees, throw their principles out the window and get in bed with anyone, using the excuse that they can only achieve at least some good by being in office. Which is short sighted, (*see Labour).
    Sinn Fein have their flag so strongly tied to the mast, love or loathe them they would lose a lot of support if they got into bed with say, FFail.
    Parties such as FG or LAB, being center right and center left can not 100% be relied upon to stick to their principles.
    FFail, have no principles or morals that they wouldn't chuck out to get into government. They are not to be trusted, unless you personally know the local fellah, as regardless of what goes on in Dublin, he'll do you a few favours if your Da played Hurley with his Uncle. That's your FFail grassroots, that's why they've a hardcore support system and that's why they'll always be around and never anything be but a detriment to the welfare of our country and every man woman in it, unless they're FFail grassroot members.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'm going to suggest two things here:

Posters take a look over the charter, and post accordingly. Petty name calling, inferring people are idiots etc.. just isn't on.

@raymon

Its clear that you have a specific bee in your bonnet with regards to FF. That is fine, but it is also pretty clear that you aren't really interested in real discussion about the party. Its just one long stream of anti-FF rhetoric. That is not really good enough, and could be classed as soapboxing tbh, again something that is contrary to the spirit of the forum.

Cheers

DrG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i do admire o cuive for standing up for what he beleive in,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

goat2 wrote: »
    i do admire o cuive for standing up for what he beleive in,

But he didn't. He picked his career and the safety of ff over his beliefs.

Pretty much what I expect a politician to do in Irish politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

O'Cuiv is simply laying the ground work for the next leadership race. Cleverly, if a little transparent, setting himself apart from the current guard so he can deflect some party blame down the road. Shyster like the granda.

thebman wrote: »
    But he didn't. He picked his career and the safety of ff over his beliefs.

Pretty much what I expect a politician to do in Irish politics.

Well to be fair to O'Cuiv he is continuing to put forward his beliefs within the party with the aim of altering policy. I do not see an issue with that.

He will have a bigger impact on FF policy by voicing his opinions on the inside rather than becoming a constituency orientated Independent.
    All three showed that the grassroots are not part of the renewal , regeneration, or whatever is supposed to be happening

Again, you make the mistake of believing that the entire grassroots is one assimilated borg. That is not the case - nor is it the case in any party. Individual views vary from member to member - that is a pretty basic characteristic of the entirety of humanity. It is only natural when you start nit-picking that you will find variances in opinions in the very specific things that you have been mentioning.

Don't worry raymon - the renewal is well underway, although I suspect that you will be disappointed to hear that. I actually took part in a canvass with the party this week, where I was out knocking on doors with the largest group of members that I have been with on a canvass over the last six years. It was actually my first proper community door knock canvass since the last General Election campaign and I am pleased to report that the hostility towards FF has subsided quite considerably - with people on the doors being quite open to discussing matters with FF reps and put forward their concerns that need addressing. Again, I am assuming that the fact that the electorate is willing to engage with FF once again is likely to greatly disappoint you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Don't worry raymon - the renewal is well underway, although I suspect that you will be disappointed to hear that. I actually took part in a canvass with the party this week, where I was out knocking on doors with the largest group of members that I have been with on a canvass over the last six years. It was actually my first proper community door knock canvass since the last General Election campaign and I am pleased to report that the hostility towards FF has subsided quite considerably - with people on the doors being quite open to discussing matters with FF reps and put forward their concerns that need addressing. Again, I am assuming that the fact that the electorate is willing to engage with FF once again is likely to greatly disappoint you.

TBH SO I would take any love for FF with a pinch of salt, the public will gripe at the current Government and moan to who will listen. FF are offering what on the doorsteps? The current coalition are trying to fix the current inherited problems. It would be no harm for FF, or the country, for FF to be out of office for at least 2 terms IMO, so that a) it can come to terms with itself and set new standards and coherent policies and b) allow the country to be put on its feet again.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    TBH SO I would take any love for FF with a pinch of salt, the public will gripe at the current Government and moan to who will listen. FF are offering what on the doorsteps? The current coalition are trying to fix the current inherited problems. It would be no harm for FF, or the country, for FF to be out of office for at least 2 terms IMO, so that a) it can come to terms with itself and set new standards and coherent policies and b) allow the country to be put on its feet again.

Oh I agree, I recognise well that the popularity of the party in terms of voting intentions is in the dumps.

However there has been a noticeable change on the ground, as I highlighted, in regards people actually willing to engage with FF reps. For example during GE11 people were simply not willing to engage with FF - which was perfectly understandable. Now however when someone asks which party you are with they no longer just say "no thanks" but instead are actually willing to engage. That improvement in willingness to engage is important, as it shows there is an avenue for the party to regain the trust of the people.

It will be a very long road to recovery and everyone within the party knows that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Well to be fair to O'Cuiv he is continuing to put forward his beliefs within the party with the aim of altering policy. I do not see an issue with that.

He will have a bigger impact on FF policy by voicing his opinions on the inside rather than becoming a constituency orientated Independent.

Again, you make the mistake of believing that the entire grassroots is one assimilated borg. That is not the case - nor is it the case in any party. Individual views vary from member to member - that is a pretty basic characteristic of the entirety of humanity. It is only natural when you start nit-picking that you will find variances in opinions in the very specific things that you have been mentioning.

I dont see an underlying agenda with FF other than to say whatever it takes to get into power for the sake of it...

You could say that SF are like that (I dont agree) but you'd have to admit that their underlying agenda is the republican one.

To be honest I don't really see the point of FF or how they offer an alternative to FG or even labour.

As a Sinn Féin activist my aim in being involved is to help further the republican agenda and to bring about a united Ireland with the commitments and promises in the proclamation and the democratic program as its foundations. Simply put, an Ireland of equals.

Sierra Oscar, why are you involved with fianna fáil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

Oh I agree, I recognise well that the popularity of the party in terms of voting intentions is in the dumps.

However there has been a noticeable change on the ground, as I highlighted, in regards people actually willing to engage with FF reps. For example during GE11 people were simply not willing to engage with FF - which was perfectly understandable. Now however when someone asks which party you are with they no longer just say "no thanks" but instead are actually willing to engage. That improvement in willingness to engage is important, as it shows there is an avenue for the party to regain the trust of the people.

It will be a very long road to recovery and everyone within the party knows that.

What exactly is the point of FF anymore? They had the run of the country for the 14 years and they ran it into the ground to the tune of tens of billion of euro. The leadership has been corrupt for decades. They stand for nothing apart from 'being in power'. They have absolutely nothing to offer, they've done enough damage over the last 30 years. And you can go even further back if you like...FF were in charge almost all the time that the Catholic Church was given free reign over the country, and look how that turned out.

If you have an interest in politics and would like to improve the state of the country why are you associating yourself with such a useless party which will forever, rightly, be associated with corruption and absolute incompetence. Seriously mate, why are you wasting your time with FF, if you are interested in politics do yourself a favour and don't associate yourself with utter failure.

'Long road to recovery'...recovery to what?

Advertisement