Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

connect UPC hd box to surround sound

Options
  • 20-08-2011 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Been wanting to do this for a long time now,

I have a 6.1 surround sound system in my living room, and watch dvd's on it.
    have a 50" sony plasma tv on the wall for it. We have upc hd box for tv there.

the back of the upc hd pvr box has an optical port and red/white audio out.
    its connected to the tv via a hdmi cable.

the back of the dvd player has the usual speaker/sub connections, and it has a red/white audio in port.

would connecting the upc box with the dvd player with this cable http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6593895/art/radioshack/3-91-4cm-stereo-audio-cab.html would allow me to have my audio for upc tv played through my surround speakers?

if not, is there any alternative way i could do this without buying a new tv, dvd player, surround sound system or upc box :p

im looking for a cheap as possible option.

I know i wont get 6.1, but as long as it plays through the speakers i would be more than happy with that.

any advice is more than appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

If the dvd player surround sound stereo connection definitely says audio in then it will work using the cable you suggested.

It wont be surround sounds though only stereo,on av amplifiers you can get it to mimic surround sound with only a stereo input, yours is probably unlikely to be able to do this but its worth a go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not sure what AV Receiver you have but if your amp has HDMI connectors then the ideal setup would be to run the HDMI cable from the UPC box to the amp and run another HDMI cable from the amp (the 'out' or 'monitor' port) to the TV.

If you can't run the HDMI signal to the amp and then on to the TV, you should be looking to take the 'audio out' signal from the TV to the amp, that's how I do it. If you have a 50" Sony plasma then there should be red and white 'audio out' connectors on the back or side of the TV, run that to your amp and you'll have a minimum of stereo sound.

The 'audio out' (phono sockets) signal from the UPC box is not in sync with the picture so I only use it for digital radio stations and I wouldn't recommend using that signal, even if you could get it to pass through the DVD player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

perfect. cheers coylemj, ill run the red/white audio cable from the tv to speakers for stereo sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

The red and white audio on my upc box goes straight to the amp and it is in sync, this would be the preffered way to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Goose81 wrote: »
    The red and white audio on my upc box goes straight to the amp and it is in sync, this would be the preffered way to connect.

Agreed but the advantage of taking the sound from the TV is that when you play a DVD or video game you don't have to change the audio source on the amp.

My sound is probably out of sync because I have a very old (Pro-Logic) AV amp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement