Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuning a telly.

• 08-08-2011 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭

I moved a while ago to 4-channel land (RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4), and brought my "second" TV with me.
    I've had no problem watching 4 channels via a plain ordinary co-ax cable plugged into the wall socket.

I was at 'home' in the old place this weekend, and brought my big TV back with me today.
    When I tried to tune it in, it seems to only be able to pick up TV3 and TG4.
    The two tellies are now side by side, and if I plug the aerial into one I get four channels, but if I plug it into the other I get two!

Anybody know what's going on? Or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In certain parts of the country, the analogue RTE 1 and RTE2 signals are VHF whereas all TV3 and TG4 broadcasts are UHF. This is true in the case of the older RTE transmitters like Maghera (Gort), Mt. Leinster and Kippure.

If you are doing an autotune and not getting RTE1 or RTE2 then it could be because the 'Country' setting on the TV is set to UK instead of Ireland or you might have bought the TV in NI or GB in which case it may not be able to pickup a VHF signal at all.

Tell us which part of the country you're in but if you look at your neighbours' aerials and if most of them have two aerials then they are picking up RTE1 and 2 on VHF and TV3 and TG4 on UHF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

coylemj wrote: »
    In certain parts of the country, the analogue RTE 1 and RTE2 signals are VHF whereas all TV3 and TG4 broadcasts are UHF. This is true in the case of the older RTE transmitters like Maghera (Gort), Mt. Leinster and Kippure.

If you are doing an autotune and not getting RTE1 or RTE2 then it could be because the 'Country' setting on the TV is set to UK instead of Ireland or you might have bought the TV in NI or GB in which case it may not be able to pickup a VHF signal at all.

Tell us which part of the country you're in but if you look at your neighbours' aerials and if most of them have two aerials then they are picking up RTE1 and 2 on VHF and TV3 and TG4 on UHF.

Thanks a lot. I'm in Skibbereen, W. Cork. My neighbours have 2 aerials, as have I. The TV's a Toshiba, and it was bought in Co. Louth about 13 years ago; state of the art at the time, surround sound etc, although kinda in the hapenny place by comparison to some of the tellies available these days.
    I can't seem to find any option in the menu for changing the country, nor for changing the band when it's searching. I've tried both manual and auto tuning. The telly appears to search from "Channel 21" to "Channel 69". Are they UHF channels?

Yes, channels 21 to 69 are UHF. If the aerials are pointing north then you are picking up Mulliganish which is VHF/UHF as I described earlier.

If you bought the TV south of the border 13 years ago then it must have VHF capability, see if you can find an option to scan the VHF frequencies. The reason VHF was fitted as standard to all TVs sold in the 26 counties is because the old analog cable TV system in Dublin is broadcast on VHF frequencies so anyone on cable TV in Dublin who doesn't have a digital box (which includes a lot of bedroom TVs) are picking up the 14 or so 'free' channels on VHF.

I bought a 42" Phillips LCD TV two years ago and it can receive the free UPC channels which means it has a VHF tuner.

Yeah, the aerials are pointing a little E of N, which is right for Mullaghanish

Still can't find the menu option for searching VHF. I'm watching 3 Kings on TG4 at the mo, so I'll try again afterwards.

Thanks for your help.

RTE1 and 2 are on VHF Band III from Mulliganish.

• Advertisement

I've come to a sort of compromise solution; when I got around to plugging in my VCR (which was also SOTA 13 years ago!), I can tune in all four and watch them thru it!

That TV sounds like it was a UK model.

Advertisement